Petco Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 83 of 83)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

grizlee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

38 months ago

grizlee in Saint Paul, Minnesota said:
Opinions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one. With you, your main problem I bet is being updated!
You sound like the old dog that can't be taught a new trick!
The way times are and money is you need to do the best you can with what you have, these young kids going through now a days if they are good, they would excel through any kind of training if they want it bad enough. I myself would probably like to learn from multiple people, meaning different styles, different techniques and different dog handling techniques than from one opinionated old bag like you.
I'm sure not everything you do in your shop is the "right" way. Anyone stuck there with you, would learn your style right or wrong! Go wherever you can and wherever you can afford to go and get any kind of experience you can because the snobs (like this lady or any (majority) shop owner isn't going to let you in there anyways. I got my dog grooming certificate in 1988, some times it's tough and some times it's great! You can learn something you can use or something you would never do working with different people. Do what you want, do what you can afford and get knowledge wherever you can.
Good Luck !

Adopt!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

eye opener in Sebring, Florida

38 months ago

I would say you just haven't been in my shoes. I did enjoy working with others and I guess you just don't understand what I was trying to say.
Thank's for the post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

K.C. in Saint Paul, Minnesota

37 months ago

Ok. Here's the thing. This is what get's my blood boiling: unfounded generalizations. Have you visited every single PetCo in the nation? Is it fair to assume that ALL groomers at ALL PetCo's are poorly trained and ALL private groomers at ALL private salons are superior? I can tell you that I have had to correct private groomers work at PetCo and have heard horrible stories about what they have done to dogs because there is no one holding them accountable. So, if I were you, when your head is saying "this is controversial, maybe I shouldnt post it..." I would listen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

grizlee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

37 months ago

I work at Petco and the girls that are grooming where I am are sending out better looking dogs than I have seen come out of a lot of private grooming shops! If you're good at it, you will be good no matter where your grooming, thats that!
Just because you work at a private grooming shop, doesn' mean crap!
You won't have the numbers of dogs coming in that Petco has and everyone here is learning new styles and techniques on different types of dogs all the time. While you sit with nothing to do 1/2 the day because your stuck in your, step back in time shop!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Really ... in Chelmsford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

I don't work at Petco but Petsmart. We get some customers that say look what Petco did to my dog, and I hear some sometimes say, I am going to Petco. Some say look at what this private salon did to my dog! Some say I am going to go to a private salon. Regardless we get A LOT of regular customers who always come back.

Its a matter of having a some kind of connection with your clients. I do know a groomer no matter what is going to start out as a bather with no experience some where. Then you go from there.

I myself don't care for Petco not because its our competition but because of a experience I had there myself purchasing a fish. I can tell you that Petsmart has A LOT!!!!! of rules you have to go by that a private salon does not have. If you do not follow the proper rules your gone. If you keep cutting a dog your gone or go back to being a bather to be retrained. Such as certain breeds with breathing issues can't be muzzled or cage dried. If you get caught you get written up! If you injure a dog by accident or being careless your in trouble.

The problem people seem to have with Petco and Petsmart is they "take away from mom and pop shops" Obviously they are doing something right if people are going there. Grant it! JUST LIKE Walmart, Shaws, or what have you any big cooperate chain is going to be a target of some kind of negativity. One person has a bad experience they tell everyone. 100 people have a good one who do they tell?

As far as Banfield Vet goes its PETSMART! They are a good hospital. But just like the Doctors if your in doubt or not it never hurts to get a second opinion.
If Banfield told me my pet had cancer I would go get a second opinion, just like if my doctor told me the same thing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

a groomer in Lakeland, Florida

35 months ago

Diane in Millersville, Missouri said: Petco pays either $7 an hour or commission, but only after you have spent $2000+ to go thru their training/certification program.

i actually work there and i did not have pay any money to be taught there.also i had awesome teachers who had plenty of experience and futher more we always have to fix work that a lot of private groomers have done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a groomer in Lakeland, Florida

35 months ago

Holly in Saint Michael, Minnesota said: I just wanted to say...Petco is NOT a part of Banfield. Petsmart is. Let's keep Petco and Petsmart straight.

yeah i also work for petco and we are not in way connected to banfield. but, if you knew what you were talking about you would know that they are apart of petsmart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K.C. in Minneapolis, Minnesota

35 months ago

Diane in Millersville, Missouri said: Petco pays either $7 an hour or commission, but only after you have spent $2000+ to go thru their training/certification program.

Not true. Please don't quote something as fact if you do not know what you are talking about. I have been there for only 2 years and make $9.25 an hour or 55% commission depending on what is higher. I average $900-$1100 per week and I NEVER spent a dime on my training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

K.C. in Minneapolis, Minnesota

35 months ago

eye opener in Sebring, Florida said: Its time That we Started to Think of the Small Business Groomer. We are the ones who started Grooming. The corporation's Are Taking over and The Consumer is paying a very High price for The MIDDLE MAN. They have used good groomers to make there company what it is today. They train students for only 4 wks! Some people who have never even picked up a pair of clippers!.. Why do we allow this to go on?? Think about this people! They are putting student threw there own grooming schools at the rate of 5 - 10 people every 4 months
! Pretty soon they will have more groomers then dogs and they will only be paying these people a very low pay! Stop helping these companys to grow!!

It really annoys me when people talk about things they have no idea about. First of all, unless you are over 100 year old, you had nothing to do with starting grooming so don't claim that for yourself. Secondly, those big corporations have more restrictions and guidlines to follow than any private grooming shop I have ever seen. People feel comfortable going somewhere that they know there are standards and requirements for everyone that works there. I was required to be an assistant for no less than 12 months before I could even think about training as a full fledged groomer. Then, my training was a one-on-one apprenticeship, starting with the very basics, that lasted for 4 months. And these corporations don't hire more groomers than they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mrspathfinder@yahoo.com in Albertville, Alabama

35 months ago

Grooming didn't start as a way to make your dog pretty all of these clips started out as clips to help the dogs in whatever job they performed not to make them ascetically pleasing. The word you were looking for in place of "they put people THREW" was through. I am sorry but it sounds a lot like sour grapes is the reason that most people have a problem with Petco because it is a great place to work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Neasha in Rapid City, South Dakota

35 months ago

I would like to know what the employee website is and how to log on to it do I already have a user name etc or do I have to create on, if I create on will I be able to view my paystubs and such please please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

creative one in central, Florida

34 months ago

BAINFEILD is its own company inside Pet Smart, and not connected at all, just located inside the store, do your research before vomiting your letters all over the screen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mae in San Diego, California

32 months ago

This is my second run working for Petco. I started grooming at a little mom-and-pup shop over the summer after I finished high school, then worked as a bather for Petco. If bathing is all you're qualified to do, Petco isn't worth it. I was only getting 8 hours a week and almost never made commission. Another mom-and-pup place gave me a MUCH better offer and I left Petco. Over the years I've been in many grooming shops, and apart from a local Pet Hotel, couldn't make a living. Now I'm back as a groomer. Minimum wage sounds disappointing, but if you're grooming it's very easy to make commission every paycheck. The option for benefits, 401K, and PTO become available after only 4 months. It's not a horrible place to work. Management can suck depending on where you are, most of them don't really "get" grooming. But it definitely simplifies things. It's also really good if you want to go to college and work at the same time. If management can sympathize with anything, it's that. Pretty good about not cutting your hours. And the rule about not grooming aggressive dogs is a pretty decent perk. A bulldog bit me in the face at one of the smaller shops I worked for and continued to come in and cause problems. That wouldn't fly here at all. Dog would be out the door in a heartbeat.

If you say you're a groomer, you have to do 3 breed haircuts before they hire you on. If you don't prove yourself competent with the technical test, they usually just make you a bather or put you through their training program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

theda1968 in Enumclaw, Washington

32 months ago

i had a great experience with petco, i took my lillte one in for nail clipping and wow the lady was really nice to me, i was amazed. i would go again no problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carla in Childersburg, Alabama

30 months ago

Do it for your love for animals. If I could do it for free, then I would. But, your incentives for Petco include training courses, gaining more experience, and insight on how to groom and maybe even start your own business in the future, and all the animals you can handle! I love them, and no matter what anyone tells me, I do it for myself, and I don't listen to negativity at all. Thank you! And work where you feel like you can make a difference. God Bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blake in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

This is basically just a hate thread from the start... I've worked at petco for 2 months now and when I work register I ask all of the customers if they were satisfied and I've never gotten a no I work in sales not grooming all of our groomers love thier jobs and they are good at it. As for petsmart my sister worked in bandfield for 2 years she went to school for 4 years prior to being hired so they are not untrained
I'm not sure what the groomers are paid at petco nor the banfield workers in petsmart but as sales I'm paid 8 dollars an hour and I love my job it's very rewarding helping customers and nobody thier dislikes thier job of course the pay could be better but it is my first job and it's fine by me for now untill I go to college. We keep our clientele or we wouldn't be grooming maybe yours stores are different but my store has great management and I really felt like a team mate as soon as I started we joke around on the job but we help our customers as for training petco has redone thier training for sales personal and it is a 6 week course covering nutrition of all the anaimals I'm our store and the differences in brands of food and the sales are tought how to check animals for the basic care and we know when to refer to the
Vet IN CONCLUSION petco is a great place to start out if you really care about animals and want to help people better the animals lives.

Riss in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

I'm a dog groomer in NYC and have been working at private shops since I got out of school. In my opinion I believe petco is a great option. They have a lot to offer, they pay you an hourly wage along with you commission so on rainy days you don't have to worry about going home with dust in your pocket. Also they offer tons of benefits for full time. I like the idea of how protected you are as a dog groomer in their company. The intake of every dog is a bit of a procedure but that's all in place to cover your ass as a groomer and to avoid any bs about the pet owner not knowing it would cost so much to do what ever. I like that there isn't much room for bs on the end of dealing with the costumer. Also the whole thing with the training, the head groomer trains you for a bit at the store but not doing hair cuts mostly baths and learning how to do nails, clean ears and shave out paw pads. Then when either you have X amount of experience they send you to dog grooming school and pay for it AND still pay you your hourly wage. With dog grooming the only way to truly know what your doing is experience , school can't teach you everything they can only teach you with what walks in through the door. Some people have a eye for making good proportionate lines others don't, some people have more patients and calmer energy than other.
Petco is a good company and there's good and bad dog groomers everywhere even in places outside of petco. They do a good job at giving anyone who wants to be a dog groomer the right tools be do the job but when doing something on your own for the first time there are always mistakes you make along the way and that goes for anyone working in any field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ncs in Dallas, Texas

20 months ago

You DO NOT get paid hourly along with commission. You get either or, calculated for the week. If you commission 4 of the 5 days you work & those commissions cover your hours for day 5 then you get commission. Otherwise you are paid hourly for the week. So, basically you sit there your slow day for nothing.

flora68

18 months ago

Speaking of despicable...how can you slander a company like that when you obviously have NO idea what you're talking about? Banfield has ALWAYS been part of Petsmart, NOT PetCo or PetLand or PetWhatever. I'm sorry about your dog but it sounds like it was way doomed long before you took it to Banfield.

dkroeze in Grafton, Ohio

17 months ago

wow there is a lot of anger on here. so I just applied for a an ast. groomer at our petco in Michigan. I don't have any experience except with my two min pins who only need baths. I was a hairstylist for 20 years and burned out and was wondering what the pay was for this job that is how I found this site. I know using clippers on a person is different than an animal but I love the idea I can train while I work. I did get a lot of useful info from all your comments. thank you

jjones in Harrisonville, Missouri

15 months ago

You can say what you will about corporations, and there is plenty bad to say, but I will tell you why I made the decision to work for PETCO after 10+ years' experience grooming for privately owned SMALL business. 1) I don't have to fight tooth and claw for my pay week after week. 2) I don't have to worry about my check bouncing. 3) I never have to worry about getting fired because someone's sister/aunt/cousin needs the job worse than they think I do. 4) I don't have to worry about my boss reporting me for child abuse just because she's MAD at me! There are downsides, but in the absence of ethics, at least there are rules. In a Mom and Pop shop, both are woefully absent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Opinion02122 in Attleboro, Massachusetts

15 months ago

I am a disabled retiree who needs training on how to groom the Cavachon I adopted. Does anyone know of a place where I can get that training?

don drak in dallas, Texas

14 months ago

What you have to look at in a company is the turn around. Its like the odds of you succeeding. Everything else is just bull and a variable. If I work at a petco, I could say its great or it sucks as a groomer. That is just my store. Look at the turn around of employees and supervisors. It will tell you if they are looking for a career orientated person or just a warm body. I would say 5 years for a groomer, 5 years for a supervisor, 1 year for a bather: all full time employees. Ask them specifically if they truly enjoy working at that petco. Remember, if they are looking for a new employee it means someone left the position for a reason; good or bad. Judge each Petco store on a case by case basis. They could have all the bonuses and benefits in the world and none of that matters if you hate your job and are out of work in few months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pre-Vet Proffessional in Tiverton, Rhode Island

12 months ago

I worked fro Petco for 7 years and everything completely depends on your store manager.
You get loads of PTO and the experience of working alongside animals however during my employment I had 3 different stores and assistant/GM pairings over a period of time;

1) made sure you got all your PTO, took care of all the animals and I never heard her complain about "losing her bonus" to animal care

2) one manager was the same, unfortunately her assistant caused a high turnover beginning the first month of her being there; workplace harassment was rampant and PTO payments and scheduling would disappear. she even called me while i was being sedated for surgery to see if I would work on my PTO...

3) just all around awful, like my second encounter to the Nth degree if you can imagine it any worse. I'd get chased around and coerced to quit because my second job in healthcare meant I couldn't close and that didn't meet her liking even though I was still bringing in the most commission of my department and doing all my duties faithfully

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jaimie in New York, New York

10 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Petco?

What do you like best about working at Petco? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

I am grooming salon manager at Petco in conn . We all are paid commission - not $7 like the uninformed person below had stated. We tell our customers up front how much the grooming will cost and we price match ( not under cut) other local groomers. You have to work in the salon full time for 12 months as a bather before being considered for the grooming program . And if you pass all of the criteria you may be accepted into the grooming school . The school is 40 hours per week for 6 to 9 months and you must pass all breed standard on live dogs. I had my own business for 20 years before coming to Petco. I make great money on commission and still have time for grooming competitions on the weekends. The manager pay is 60% of all groom dogs that I complete .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian Kochera in Cranford, New Jersey

9 months ago

Elle Belly in Seattle, Washington said: Hi there!!

My name is Elle and I have worked at Petco on and off for 13 years. I started working for the company before Petco offered any extra services. There are many things people don't understand about Petco.

The first thing is it is a typical american corporate company. Yes. It is. But that is not necessarily a bad thing! As a long term employee, I get three weeks off of Paid time off! I get PTO for bereavement, maternity, and sick leave. Petco recognizes its top employees nationwide! We have an intranet that all employees have access to and can communicate with. If there is a problem with management or any other employees we have an anonymous call center to help out. I have never had a problem with petco in the long term.. I have medical, dental , vision, life and auto insurance with the company's group plan. We even have a wireless contract with Verizon, even thought I dont participate in that particular plan. we have 401K. And we have other things that on can invest in to make the future easier. Petco also hires for upper positions from within as much as it can!

I am not a groomer but the same benefits are offered to everyone store level. As a bather/brusher the entry level position you are entitled to these after 3 moths full time . you do get less if you are part time, but you get them right off the bat. Petco pays for and pays you while you are in school to be a groomer. then you must intern for 6 months before you are considered a FULL groomer. This is for the safety of the animals, as well as the groomer. You get paid 40% of each groom you do as an intern, 50% as a full groomer and 60% as a grooming manager. So the pay is competitive.

Petco and Banfield have never been affiliated.

What can you tell me about Dog Trainer jobs? I am certified by the Animal Behavior College of Santa Clarita Calif.

animal lover in Bronx, New York

8 months ago

Mary Daigle in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Petco is a part of the Banfield Pet Hospitals. My dog was horribly treated by Banfield. I took him into Banfield the month before he had to be put down for his "wellness exam." The vet did not even examine him. A month later I took him back since there was a very obvious mass on his left hind leg. The unlicensed "nurses" took ex-rays. The vet did not even look at the ex-rays. They put him in a small cage all day. When they called me to tell me to come get him he could hardly walk due to being caged all day. The vet, who never examined him, told me he a neurological problems and referred me to a neurological veterinarian. They game me the ex-rays to take to the neuro center. I looked at the x-rays at home and saw the large mass, even though the x-rays were of poor quality, VERY POOR. I made an appointment with a veterinarian in private practice. He looked at the x-rays and said he thought my dog had an advanced primary mass on his hind leg. My dog was treated with care and put down. Banfield/Petco should not be allowed to be in business but they have political connections nationwide. They are a despicable corporation and should not be allowed to do business in the way they do it.

I agree with you, no one should be in any field where they are responsible for the health of a pet or person however your info is wrong, banfield in not a part of petco, its apart of petsmart and even than they have a total different HR department from petsmart. just thought you would like to know.

8 months ago

Really ... in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I don't work at Petco but Petsmart. We get some customers that say look what Petco did to my dog, and I hear some sometimes say, I am going to Petco. Some say look at what this private salon did to my dog! Some say I am going to go to a private salon. Regardless we get A LOT of regular customers who always come back.

Its a matter of having a some kind of connection with your clients. I do know a groomer no matter what is going to start out as a bather with no experience some where. Then you go from there.

I myself don't care for Petco not because its our competition but because of a experience I private salon does not have. If you do not follow the proper rules your gone. If you keep cutting a dog your gone or go back to being a bather to be retrained. Such as certain breeds with breathing issues can't be muzzled or cage dried. If you get caught you get written up! If you injure a dog by accident or being careless your in trouble.

The problem people seem to have with Petco and Petsmart is they "take away from mom and pop shops" Obviously they are doing something right if people are going there. Grant it! JUST LIKE Walmart, Shaws, or what have you any big cooperate chain is going to be a target of some kind of negativity. One person has a bad experience they tell everyone. 100 people have a good one who do they tell?

As far as Banfield Vet goes its PETSMART! They are a good hospital . But just like the Doctors if your in doubt or not it never hurts to get a second opinion.
If Banfield told me my pet had cancer I would go get a second opinion, just like if my doctor told me the same thing![/QUOTE

8 months ago

Anytime you take your pet to get groomed and your pet comes back with more anxiety than when they went in 9 out of 10 something was done that hurt your pet or made them very uncomfortable, I have worked at petsmart and I can say that a lot of the groomers are very ruff with the pets and it makes the pet scared to go back, so if your pet comes out more stressed than when you dropped them off something happen. pay attention, don't just sum it up that he hates being groomed. some pets don't like it but if they have a nice groomer who takes their time and makes the pet comfortable they will tolerate it. I have know many good groomers who have worked at my store and was great all around the board and I hated to see them go. its just a matter of finding that groomer that's right for you and your pet. No matter where you go there can always be a groomer who is not ment to groom, and those are the ones who make it bad for all groomers, any where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coheed13 in Gig Harbor, Washington

4 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Petco?

What do you like best about working at Petco? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

First, I would like to state I have worked in both the private sector of grooming as well as Petco. I have been with the company on and off 12 years and been everything from a cashier to my current position a grooming salon manager. We do not pay $7 an hour or commision. We pay the respective states minimum wage or commission, this is a perk over private salons where there is no gaurranteed wage. Yes, you do risk having your hours cut if you are not earning enough, or customers are complaining (this can even be complaints you were not informed of directly.) Our company does not just fire people you will be warned with a write up and given time to improve preformance. It is a big company and as with any corporation numbers, money, and customers are the focus. That being said as a stylist your focus is brand loyalty and rebooking current clients. Full time associates are eligible for paid time off and health/medical/vision as well as a flex spending account and 401k. All associates get 20% off purchases, discount with metlife, and sprint. We have free counseling over the phone for traumatic life events. Groomers can bring in their own pet once a month and groom for free. The groomers that say we won't hire private groomers are wrong. We gladly hire trained groomers and can test out competent ones withen a matter of weeks if they can pass a schnauzer, cocker, and poodle technical. Every job can be negative or positive its how you see it that matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Hampstead, New Hampshire

2 months ago

Mary Daigle in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Petco is a part of the Banfield Pet Hospitals. My dog was horribly treated by Banfield. I took him into Banfield the month before he had to be put down for his "wellness exam." The vet did not even examine him. A month later I took him back since there was a very obvious mass on his left hind leg. The unlicensed "nurses" took ex-rays. The vet did not even look at the ex-rays. They put him in a small cage all day. When they called me to tell me to come get him he could hardly walk due to being caged all day. The vet, who never examined him, told me he a neurological problems and referred me to a neurological veterinarian. They game me the ex-rays to take to the neuro center. I looked at the x-rays at home and saw the large mass, even though the x-rays were of poor quality, VERY POOR. I made an appointment with a veterinarian in private practice. He looked at the x-rays and said he thought my dog had an advanced primary mass on his hind leg. My dog was treated with care and put down. Banfield/Petco should not be allowed to be in business but they have political connections nationwide. They are a despicable corporation and should not be allowed to do business in the way they do it.

Wrong..That is petsmart NOT petco..Banfeild has nothing to do with petco

Blah in Mesa, Arizona

2 months ago

Banfield is part of Petsmart, not Petco. Petco doesn't have any kind of Vet work, just shots.

Blah in Mesa, Arizona

2 months ago

The one I worked at was evil. My manager left the store during my training (which was all online) and none of the assistant managers knew which courses I was supposed to sign up for. I floundered the first week, finally made it the second week, and when she came back the third week I still had ones I hadn't finished because no one had any idea which ones I had to take. 3 weeks of just sitting around because she didn't set anything up before she left.

When I got hired, she also promised me a grooming position (though originally I "had" to be put on as a bather) and 2 months in she told me I had to fight the other bather who wanted a grooming position to go to grooming school. Her words were literally "The person who does the best in sales will get to go to grooming school" Which led to my co-worker setting me up to get written up and lying about me daily for 2 weeks. I quit after that. It was horrible.

She did the same thing to 2 groomers who wanted the Salon manager position (which we had NO ONE FOR the entire 3 months I worked there. Before the two women got hired and were forced to fight over it, the only groomer in the salon had all the responsibilities but the manager refused to pay her for the work and she quit) and both ended up quitting the company within the year. Maybe it's not the same at every location, but in Mesa that's how it was.

Overall, screw this company in Arizona. I will never ever go back.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.