How to get a job at Petco.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 60 of 60)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

HarleyQuinn in Seattle, Washington

32 months ago

SunnySky in Hutchinson, Kansas said: Let me say first and foremost....PETCO is an EOE. I am over 50 and did not have a problem getting a job at PETCO.
Here are my tips for getting a job at PETCO and anywhere else.
1. Fill out the online application.
2. Follow-up with an inquiry, in-person preferrably. Phone calls are okay but shows a lack of committment in obtaining a job. Be Eager.....show up in person and you might even get an interview.
3. When you do come into the store for a job or interview, please do NOT wear worn out jeans and other tattered clothing. Any tattoos and piercings should be down-played. NO gum chewing!!!
4. When you have an interview, please show up on time.
5. A firm handshake and eye contact and a smile is a must.
6. During the interview, be articulate. Answer the questions concisely without going on and on.

Just a few of my thoughts, please feel free to add comments
It's easy getting the job, keeping it is another conversation

Thank you, this is extremely insightful. I have an interview in 3 days for a grooming assistant position, and I was wondering if there was anything specifically that I should know regarding what might be asked in the interview. Does Petco have a habit of doing one on one interviews or is it usually group interviews? I'm also curious if the fact that I have no actual experience in the position that I'm applying to as far as working in a professional environment, but I have done fostering before and have three dogs of my own so I am extremely familiar with being around them, and am also able to handle dogs who are 50 lbs or more which I know is a requirement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Marie B in Bridgeville, Delaware

27 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Petco? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I also applied online to Petco-seaford,de. how long is too long to wait for an answer? I guess I should keep trying other positions? I am very patiently waiting for the new store opening. Thank you. Happy job hunting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Petco? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I finally got past the application process. This forum was helpful towards me getting to get a call for an interview next wk. I read all the bad stuff but there is hope for some of us who really want a career at petco. Petco forum is a learning experience. Good Luck to anyone just subscribing to the forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Linda Marie B in Bridgeville, Delaware said: I also applied online to Petco-seaford,de. how long is too long to wait for an answer? I guess I should keep trying other positions? I am very patiently waiting for the new store opening. Thank you. Happy job hunting!

Well no more hunting, I was hired at Petco! I can't wait for the store to open! This is the best day ever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

First I applied on line to petco. Then waited for the call for interview. After the interview I was hired and looking forward to the training process and store opening soon. Good luck to anyone doing the same things I did to get this far! Have a great day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RoseOfSharon in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

10 months ago

Petco Employee in Copperas Cove, Texas said: I am WELL over 50 and did not have any problem securing a position at Petco. Perhaps your experiance was not in the needed areas.

BUT HOW DID YOU GET AN INTERVIEW?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian Kochera in Cranford, New Jersey

9 months ago

And do you have any suggestions as to what that store might be? Do they hire dog trainers?

Stacy in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: Who the hell wants a job at Petco. If you are into witnessing the suffering of innocent creatures or taking orders from some pimply faced child then this is the place for you. Do all of the earths creatures a favour, research pet supply retailers who abide by a code of ethics wich include not selling products which have not been tested on animals such as shampoos, powders, sprays, etc. Also select a retailer who maintains a clean shop and whos animals are well treated, healthy and not neglected and who contributes a large potion of profits to shelters and other support servcies for homeless animals. Never purchase products from any retailer who chooses profits over the humane treatment of our furry friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

AKhan in Matawan, New Jersey said: if u really want a job u have to keep calling them until they give u an interview... lol... thats what i did and i have an interview tomorrow

And did you get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JobHunter in Phoenix, Arizona

4 months ago

Cindy in Saint Augustine, Florida said: I agree , I have over 10 years experience in retail management. Everything from loss prevention to building a store. Great references and the last store I ran did over 15 million, I didn't even get a call back. Same jobs are posted for last four months that I have noticed. Employers--stop wasting our time and yours! Lazy lazy take them off

Many major companies run the same job ads over and over because they have to abide by the E.O.E. Doesn't mean they have those positions open but they do have to accept any and all applications by law. Personally, I think today's digital age has made employment hunting tedious. I miss the old days when you could actually walk in a prospective employers office, shake their hand and introduce yourself. Most times that was met with an immediate interview and you had more success obtaining employment

4 months ago

Deb said: The number of re-posted jobs is crazy. What is the real story behind posting the same jobs over and over? Anyone from Petco know?

My thinking is that if the company keeps posting the same jobs over and over that they must have a very high turn over. From what I have read on several job hunting boards is working for Petco is hit and miss. You could land a job with a location where management treats the workers with respect, or it could be a place where the entire work culture stinks.

Regardless, Petco doesn't pay very well. If you are a dog trainer it's a good place to get experience teaching classes. But they don't allow you to train in peoples homes on your own. Since it doesn't pay very well and most trainers are only hired part-time, you'll need another part-time job or full-time one.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.