Don't work for PetSmart

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 136)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

backinwork in Charleston, South Carolina

69 months ago

Does anyone know what the pay is for bathers and whether or not they have to train at the school as well? Also, What is the hourly pay for cashiers and floor sales?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Justalilbit in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

Unfortunately for most of you it seems like you guys have terrible managers... I agree I've had afew in my time with the company, I've worked there for about a year and 1/2. I work there with two of my best friends and I can't complain. My store manager and the Ops manager get along with mostly everyone fine, the people they dont like, 95% of the store doesn't like any ways ... We usually joke around and talk about sports even if we're busting our backs, which is usually all the time except non-load/restock days. I myself I'm the fastest cashier in our store excluding managers, and I'm not even a "cashier" as my title, I'm pet products lead... I was with some of you the first few months.. I hated it , it was boring... but I lived with it.. I'm there to make money, nothing else.. That's my mindset, I've started to work better, got a few raises and promotions and hopefully soon another.

It seems you guys just got terrible luck with your location, I remember when i barely worked there, selling classes was pushed, not as much though.. especially not anymore, I usually sell classes without even trying... When I started working here I knew very little about retail, now I know almost everything when it comes to dog food, dog products, where everything is in the store, whether we do or we dont have it.. and how to do price changes, set end caps, set planner, POGS and all that... With a lil bit of work you can get high in this company... I think half of you just want something handed to you, let me tell you life isn't easy, you're not always spoonfed.. Also I dont recommend applying as a stocker if you're a girl that cant lift 50 lbs constantly, or a guy for that matter... you'll be dead by the end of the day. Luckily for me I can bench 320 lbs no problem so a measily 50lb is nothing, I can lift that one arm no problem >.>

p.s I hate totes! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

69 months ago

I understand. I have been gone from PetSmart for over a year now. One day I was in, and a customer with dog on leash, baby in his arms, and dog food in the other gets stopped by the store manager and he points out to the customer that look, your dog peed on the floor, and the manager walks away. I so much wanted to call corporate on that one. I cleaned it up! I have no respect for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shaggy Nastally in Rock Hill, South Carolina

69 months ago

shooie61472 in Ithaca, New York said: I worked for Petsmart for a lil over 2 years, and let me tell ya...im glad im out! Its true about the pee and poop, i couldnt tell u how many times i had to get on my hands and knees to clean up some pet owners dog pees who would pretend like they didnt see it. I was hired ONLY to stock and ended up doing EVERYTHING in that store! I specifically said on my app NO CASHIER! and where do I end up(with NO register training)? They actually made me a lead up there! Then when I wasnt on registar and was doing what i was hired to do...stock shelves, I would get called up to the front a hundred times a day, for stupid stuff too, for manager type stuff..."hello? i wasnt a manager!" and I def wasnt getting paid like one(or had the luxury of sitting on my butt all day!) And the I got injured(dislocated my collar bone) on the job, lifting heavy stuff(i'm F, 5'4" and about 145 and in my 30's)...and boy was that rough...they made me run all over the place to their "dr" 40 mins from me. It was just a bunch of corporate garbage covering their own butts and not worried about their employees...not just me, but other people their as well, who just doesnt have the guts to do something bout it! oh the stuff ive seen...there is 5 managers and 2/3 leads in a store that has MAYBE 20 employees TOTAL! Too many chiefs and not enough indians! So u have one manager tell u one thing, and another manager tell u something opposite, then YOU get in trouble. Its true all they care about is MONEY!!!! Bug customers, jack up prices(ive seen it), push high prices items(ive sold alot of wireless dog fences @$350 a pop)training classes...etc...its ALL about money...THATS IT! I gave my ALL to that store, and I get injured busting my butt for this corp, and I get the shaft! I also go to school full time and gave them my schedule and they scheduled me ON the day AND time I had classes!! Can someone please pull their head out of their butts?!? come

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shaggy Nastally in Rock Hill, South Carolina

69 months ago

It wouldn't let me put more than that in one comment so this is what I will do.I completely agree with that comment.I worked for PetsMart for a little over a year as a stocker.They wanted me to do EVERYTHING without the pay.I ended up quitting my job because the lead stocker who was a good friend of mine told me that he was quitting.He went and asked my store manager if I would get the lead stocking position(full time hours,2 weeks paid vacation,and a raise.) to which my manager replied, "No, we can't afford it, we are just going to hire another part-time stocker.)I would always bust my ass for a few hours and I was yelled at to work harder and a couple of times I was told get back to work for stopping to tie my shoe,getting something to drink.Things like that.They gave me no training what so ever so I would be able to answer any questions that customers had.(Thank god most of the questions were about where things were)They expected me to just learn everything on the go and pick it up over time.Also, at my PetsMart they denied ANY vacation time and ANY days off from December 1-January 5.I know it's a busy time for the store and stuff, but they wouldn't even give you ONE DAY if you asked for it.From what I have read here most employees in specialty and cashiering feel like they were worthless in the companies eyes.They treat the stockers that way too.I deserved more from petsmart.I would come in on time at 4:00am and be scheduled for 8 hours(I was working full time hours while being "part-time")only to be told I can't clock out until the truck is done,the pallets are up in the steel,and everything is cleaned up.And somehow I always managed to fall a few hours short of overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

69 months ago

Justalilbit......I couldn't agree with you more. Do all of you people sit at home and have nothing better to do than complain on the computer????? Do you not understand the economic crisis this country is experiencing? Dreamer 27......sorry, but I do agree with the manager. If you are coming into a pet store and need one hand to carry your dog food and one your baby, maybe you should have left your dog in the car. I clean up more dog pee and poo on a daily basis than I care to admit, but I have learned to hand the towels and spray to the owner and point out the waste baskets. I am still helping them, but it is YOUR responsibility to clean up after YOUR dog. I am a trainer and my dog is there 8 hrs a day sometimes, and she has never eliminated in the store. Most businesses are looking at selling out or bankruptcy. With every person that quits there are people in my store anxious to see the next weeks schedule; but nobody gets more hours. Corporate just keeps cutting them. Businesses are suffering. They can't afford full time help. Don't you block heads get it? Its easy to sit and complain that you work too hard for what you are being paid.....God knows I do. But I have a job I enjoy doing, and I am employed. If you really feel that strongly about it.....go find another job. Im sure your managers and colleagues really don't need you around bringing morale down. Its bad enough as it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

69 months ago

He just got his dog out of grooming, walked to the dog food isle and of course his dog had an accident being in grooming all day. I thought it was right down rude for the manager to point out what his dog did and leave. That was a safety issue for another customer to go by and step in it and fall. I didn't have to go clean it up, I didn't work there anymore, but I did anyways. I saved his *** from a potential lawsuit against the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

69 months ago

Are you serious? To me it sounds like you are taking a "holier than thou" attitude. I could never imagine taking my dog somewhere and expecting someone else to clean up after them. Petsmart, or other pet stores, dog parks, etc. are no exception. You sound like you want everyone to praise you for going out of your way to take care of someone else's responsibilities. Do you have any idea how much stress is on the shoulders of the store manager? He/she may have had an off day, and perhaps was rude. But if that dog spent "all day" in the grooming salon it is the owner's fault. There is really no reason any dog should have to spend more than two hours in the salon, unless the owner is too busy to be picking them up in a timely manor. Even so, if that were the case, the owner should have picked the dog up, taken it outside (before his hands were full), put it in the car, and returned to get the dog food. I am sorry, but I really feel no empathy for your cause. I am so sick of irresponsible pet parents; especially those that have more money than time......which is the case of about 75% of the grooming salon customers. Maybe that guy should have gotten a cart! You saved him from a lawsuit? Please, get real. If you don't have the ability to pick up after your dog in a timely fashion, then you don't have the ability to take your dog out in public; or for that matter, even to own a dog.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

69 months ago

Doglady, you need to take a chill pill. I don't care if the manager had a bad day or not or stressed out, he just didn't care about helping the customer. Oh geez, thought PetSmart was all about the customers-NOT. I was with the company almost 11 years. I was in there that day for over an hour. Didn't seem to me he was having a crisis. Crisis is when both my son and I have thyroid cancer. This subject is done for me. I have other things more important than wasting my time on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

69 months ago

What did I say about a crisis????? I also noticed you missed the BIG point, and that is that people need to be responsible for their dogs. Believe me, I know about customer service.....you keep bragging about working for petsmart for 11 yrs....I worked on straight commission for 8 and ran my own business for 6 yrs. My point to you is maybe you need to look at the whole picture, and get your head out of your.....clouds. Hey, didn't you get fired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ally tay in loveland, Colorado

68 months ago

all i have to say ablout petsmart is that it has a false image. expecially the store im at, ive been at 3, one was for only like 4 days so i dont count that one. but my first one at least cared for the employees and somewhat the animals. but for the most part all the corporate people care about is the money. i was in petcare for a year and now grooming for a year and a half. at this store im at now im appalled at somethings. the same groomer cuts dogs at least once a week and once she cut the same dog 3 times, bc she was "changing anxiety" meds and was stumbling and was slurring, yet when went to lunch was fine came back and acting like drunk or high. and what do they make the owners do each time she cuts a dog? pay full price. and she doesnt get in trouble because she is the salon managers friend. im sorry but this is wrong and just horrible. her first day back from academy she knicked a puppies dew claw pad, a 2 month old yorkie. which i understand accidents can happen, so i told her to just take it easy on the puppy and try not to push her to hard, what does the manager do with her? buttt loops the poor puppy and forces this puppy to be stressed and to finish the full haircut to make it perfect. im sorry but im against making them stressed. for crying out loud its a puppy and now its hot a horrible first expensive and will probably end up one of those dogs biting the groomer. ugh im so frustrated with petsmart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

68 months ago

Ally...the number you guys have for corporate where you don't have to say who you are, complain about what you see in grooming about this person. I will not let PetSmart groom my dogs. Let corporate take care of it. They will look into it and they won't let them know who made the complaint. I am against making them all stressed out too. Then they end up having to go to trainers to undo something that could have been avoidable. I know that frustration. See what else is out there for you. It's not good to be all stressed out heath wise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shubhy 3269 in nangal, India

68 months ago

Jane Doe in Irving, Texas said: I came from other wonderful pet stores to work at PetSmart and was very disappointed. The corporate employees who came to visit our local store frequently insulted me because I had previously worked for another pet store (a store much better than PetSmart). The corporate employees are extremely egotistical and they think they know everything. The local stores manager sat on her rear end all day and even had a mini-fridge located under her desk. I guess she was too lazy to walk 10 feet to the break room fridge like everyone else. All PetSmarts I have walked into have had dog pee on the floor. Customers bring their dogs in and let them poop & pee on the floor and they don't bother to clean it up. PetSmart finds this acceptable & makes the employees clean it up. I will never purchase anything located on a bottom shelf at a PetSmart because I know there's a good chance it's been peed on. While working at PetSmart, I never received the benefits or tuition reimbursment that I was told was offered to employees. It took a few months to get my W2 form at the end of the year. The manager was incompetent and failed to change my address even though I had given her my new address multiple times. I received no training, yet was yelled at if I did things using common sense. PetSmarts policy is kiss the customers ass at all times. If you see someone steal something and take it to the front counter to return it, you have to let them return it. Does that make sense to anyone? It never made sense to me. They also now sell corn snakes & kingsnakes, yet they refuse to sell the food for them. They sell frozen 'snake sausage' for them. Kingsnakes are very picky eaters as hatchlings and I garuntee they will not eat a 'snake sausage'. Some of the snakes sold at PetSmart are starving and will not live. They will suffer & die. The birds at PetSmart are purchased from bird mills. It's a very unorganized & corupt company w/a lack of

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DunksNOnes in Sylmar, California

68 months ago

question.

does every petsmart employee have to undergo a drug screening?
or does the hiring manager or certain location choose who should be drug tested?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

68 months ago

Everyone is drug tested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

This Dog Runs in Maryland

68 months ago

Wow, is everyone in here disgruntled?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

groommgr in New York

68 months ago

No, not everyone. I loved working as salon manager for PetSmart. I had a wonderful grooming team and the best store manager ever. PetSmart can be very annoying about all the P&P's and the meetings but in the long run, it is all for the safety of the pets. and to avoid lawsuits. LOL Probably the latter. PS paid my travel, hotels and meals when I went sent away for training. As a salon manager, I had a "P-Card" that I was able to use for rewarding my groomers and buying supplies. I was given a stipend when the salon went over plan. I was given a quarterly bonus. Yes, I worked damn hard but it was a challenge and I got out of it what I put into it.
I work for their competitor now due to a move and let me tell ya- PS is a top notch company. The competition can't begin to compare.
I will say, though, that the store is only as good as the managers. If you have a horrible store manager, then morale is low, no one enjoys coming to work, and no one puts in any effort. I was truly fortunate to have good managers right up to the district mananger.
So, no, not everyone is disgruntled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wickedlc in southwest, Colorado

68 months ago

yeah unless you suck up to your gm your screwed. Its like at one of the stores i have worked at one of the managers brings his dog, i'm pretty sure that only the trainers are suppose to bring dogs to the store. plus this dog has gone after other dogs in the store without the manager correcting him, half the time he isn't even holding the dogs leash. the dog harasses people and dogs while his owner isn't even near him to keep an eye on the dog; but they allow him to bring this dog anyway because he basically has his head so far up their a****. Now they are trying to make him the head trainer at this store and also trying to make him an area trainer, when he has had so many complaints filed against him. i have had numerous customers and employees talk about how he just basically runs them over with or without his dog and doesn't say anything like its their fault for getting in his way. i just think that this company seems to be more about who is going to suck up to who. the current trainers at this store have been both told that they were going to get the full-time position, and also that the store would have to wait to do so because they didn't have enough hours, even when there was only one trainer. i think its funny that they want to put someone in a position that deals with getting peoples respect when that person doesn't seem to be able to get that even from the people he deals with currently. i just don't understand why all the employees who actually do their jobs get pushed aside while all the suck ups get raises and all the hours. just think its crap, everyone i talked to is upset about the idea of him as a trainer, no one thinks he has a single idea about what he's talking about. lets just hope i can get in a class with one of the other trainers, so that i actually learn something.
*stupid management (we have had over 5 different gm in the just the last 2yrs and things haven't gotten any better)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

68 months ago

Just to clue you in....I am in no way, shape, or form to pretend like I know anything about P&P; except for one thing; very few people that work for Petsmart actually pay attention to it. As a matter of fact, I recently read up on them myself, having previously only been doing "as the Romans do>"
I have recently been made a full time employee, and I am the only trainer at my location. My location does not, corporately speeking, support a full-time trainer. Tnerefore, I am scheduled to work in various areas throughout the week. Realizing that my dog "gets in the way" when I am working register and pet care, I read up on "dogs at work".......
As a trainer, you are allowed to have your dog at work with you.....but they must be able to perform all commands in all classes...........for those of you who may be wondering, that means sit, down, stay (in all stanses), leave it, drop it, loose leash walking, wait, stay while leaving the room, heel, well, if you know anything about what we teach, they have to be able to do it!!!!! (Our last trainer had a nice dog, but it couldnt neccessarily perform all commands.)If, as a trainer, your dog can't do all of this, they should not be coming to work with you. They are suppose to be a "demo dog," meaning they can demonstrate all commands! Tainers are encouraged to bring their "demo dogs" to work with them, but this is not a requirement. Technically, when they are not in class, they are to be in a room designated for them in the pet hotel, or if you are in a store without one, they are to be in a crate inside the training center when not "on duty." This crate is not neccessarily provided by Petsmart. I hope this helps you in your efforts.....
Pesmart looks at demo dogs as dogs that should be put on a pedastal; but they have to be able to achieve that goal. They are considered a valualbe tool to trainers and the store as a whole to sell training classes; but they have to be able to prove their worth,.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

wickedlc in somewhere

68 months ago

That is what I thought, we have had trainers in the past that wouldn't bring their dogs in because they said they weren't up to the standard needed.
But since we lost most of those trainers that thought that way, no one seems to understand that these demo dogs are there to show a well behaved dog, not one that just wonders off while its owner isn't even paying attention.
The management at this store has been addressed before by one of the lead area trainers in our state about what behavior the dogs are allowed to exhibit but I think it fell on deaf ears.
Hopefully they will understand why the dogs that "work" at the store are suppose to be listening to their owners and kept with their owners, not just left to do whatever they please.
*side note* the guy with the intrusive dog hasn't even been given the position as a trainer he is still just a manager... they are waiting for the approval from the regional manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

67 months ago

That is not very cool. If you can somehow find your P&P for pet trainers, it is in there. (Maybe you could open it to that page and highlight where it states that, and annonymously leave it on your manager's desk?!) If you would like me to find the exact page for you, let me know. I am more than willing to help a worth-while cause!!!
Now, I must be honest. In our store, several people bring their dogs to work ON OCCASSION. If they get in the way during a shift, they are put in one of the kennels in the back area of the salon until the owner goes home or on lunch. One of our managers even keeps his/her dog(s) in the training area (when not in use) or even in the crate when training classes are going on. This is not P&P but everyone pretty much looks the other direction because we all get along (I have taught classes with this manager's dogs (2) in the crate that is located in the training center; with no real problems). If the two little dogs become a problem during class, he/she will even move them to the safe room or the manager's office; neither one is approved but the dogs are good and nobody really cares; besides that, he/she is a darn good manager that everyone respects. I guess what I am trying to say is, there is P&P that you can use to your advantage if it is for the better of the entire store. And you shouldn't be afraid to speak your mind; Petsmart trainers do not have that great of a rap across the country; and some of us are very proud of our positions and would like to instill that kind of pride on the rest of the company!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

67 months ago

P.S. you have no idea how much pride it gives me to hear you say that that guy hasn't even been given the position as a trainer yet; he is still "just a manager" it is so cool to have someone recognize how hard it is to be a good trainer!!!!!!! THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

toomanydogs in Washington

67 months ago

It is interesting to me how so many of the complaints echo each other with commonalities also how the "happy at my job" comments echo each other. I adored my job and clients and the joy I got from training every day and seeing a client realize what an amazing creature their dog or puppy is, is a magic I got to taste. Sounds corny but training...good training is a rush. I also appreciated having a job to go to and clung to it past the point of health for dear life because I understand the fear of not being able to make your house payment and feed your kids. I can only speak for myself when I say I think corporate America has lost the accountabilty it used to take in caring for loyal employees. It isn't just a Petsmart thing. Their system of management for it's average employees is horribly flawed in it's policies and the execution of them(understatement of the year)...but its a ugly coroprate epidemic from Walmart to Home Depoe.
Most of us were raised to believe "hard work and loyaty pay off." We get snitty when it doesn't work out that way. The sad truth is in order to make that statement true you have to now add the words "if I am lucky." It sucks, but it's reality. Another reality is that as horrid as my store was (and it has a state wide rep. for being bad believe me!) I am so greatful to Petsmart for giving me the great experiences I have had as a pet trainer in the last 5 years.It changed the path of my life and I finally knew what I was supposed to be when I grew up. The question for me is were those experiences worth the tears and hurt and sacrifices I made to have them. Ultimately,I'm the only one who can gauge that. Just verbally vomitting a bit so I can get some sleep. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K Richards in Texas

66 months ago

Seriously! Regardless of where you look on this website there are people complaining! Does anyone have anything positive to say about ANYTHING? Some people, like myself, are just trying to get some good quality information, and we have to wade through the bullsh*t of you people complaining about picking up poop, and taking drug tests. Here's a helpful hint: Don't work at a PET STORE if you don't want to clean up POOP, and quit doing drugs if you want a frickin' job!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thedogtrainerlady in Texas

66 months ago

I guess that when things are going great, no one complains. Its only when you become sick and tired you start to complain.

I pick up poop and I took a drug test. I wish those were the worst things I had to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in La Mesa, California

64 months ago

O man, now Im scared. I have had a couple interviews with PetSmart and they seemed to really like me. I applied for a position in the PetsHotel. When I went in for my interviews it was completly spotless, the guys at the front counter were really really nice, although one was telling a lady that she should invest in a shock collar to help her dog with seperation anxiety? Not really sure how that one was supposed to work. The manager and assisstant manager seemed really really cool.... I have experience as Maintenance in a pet store so I am VERY familiar with the bull that goes on when dealing with the buying and selling of animals of any kind. All I could do while I worked there was make the puppies that were there as comfortable as possible. I dont know now about working with PetSmart any more..... hmmm I guess only time will tell....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MacBerry76 in San Antonio, Texas

64 months ago

Robyn PHarr in Tustin, California said: Thanks, I already feel less stressed just being gone from there for a week. My only complaint w/ my store was not being scheduled enough help. I worked in the Hotel, and when we were short of help the animals are the ones that pay for it by having pooh in their rooms that we can't get to, or no water in their bowls. Things that we know need to be done, but not enough hands on deck. Asking for more help did no good, and so I would skip my breaks and lunches just to make sure the work got done. I bent over backwards for that company and then when I needed help, I just get fired. Oh, well, there's worse things in life than being fired, and I know I can deal. I definately can use the extra time right now with my son, like you said.

I too worked in the hotel, was there for over 2 years. I started off PT, then was moved up to FT after 1 year and started being 'groomed' for a Senior position. It wasn't long before I started noticing the schedule problems; it seemed no matter how many associates were on the schedule, somehow just about every shift ended up severely shorthanded- to the extent that Seniors were the only ones on the floor. Supposedly lack of availbility and other 'scheduling problems' was the main cause. Yet I was expected to have open availibility; who gives a @#&* that I was also a full time student most of my last year of employment there. I started having anxiety and panic attacks; most likely because of the physical and mental burnout...only to be told to 'leave it at the door'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

tweetyholly in Onaway, Michigan

63 months ago

I work at Petsmart and I absolutely hate it, I am miserable, I am going to school though,and should have a different career shortly. Ive never worked at such a disorganized place, I have worked 6hrs before with no break at all,simply because all my managers are lazy,I dont work with one nice manager. They made a 19 yr old girl cry last weekend simply because she was trying to help another cashier,and they yelled at her and told her that wasnt her job,and they pulled her in the office and screamed at her and told her she was going to be fired if she kept it up,so she quit. I have worked in steel factories and liked it better,plus they dont pay anything and want you to do everything. My manager recently said that the cashier's are going to have to start cleaning the bathrooms,we already have to clean up other peoples dog stool all day,this place is so ridiculous,I am counting the days until I will be able to quit!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

la rosa in nb, New Jersey

63 months ago

Heres my story...... after I passed a drug test ,which took 12 days for the manager to get back to me, not to mention the manager in charged of hiring at two different times was to busy for an interview,and to hand me the dug test info. I am still waiting to take their saftey tests. I wish the DM would read these posts!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a-j-h in Big city, South Carolina

63 months ago

I'm going to give my honest opinion, personal standards, and work ethic.
I think some of you guys may work in stores with bad management, and that happens, but PetSmart has programs and policies in place to standardize every store. If managers are making people cry (for no EXCUSABLE reason), that is bad management. Remember though, it is just business if you get hounded about a constant error, it's your fault.
I pride myself in working in a store that is clean, neat, organized, and yeah, it gets disorganized sometimes and chaotic, but in the end, we're a great team and and a great representation of what PetSmart SHOULD be. Our PC dept is beautiful - healthy fish in healthy tanks, beautiful birds in hospital clean cages, small animals that are happier and healthier than I am, and a reptile habitat that is beautifully crafted, clean, and to policy.
It sounds like the associates that are having problems are experiencing a lack of our participation in an Open Door Policy which allows you to communicate freely with any member of management about anything, but be able to quote policy.
NO retail job is easy, and yeah, if you don't want to clean up dog stool and urine, and vomit, don't apply.
If you work for PetSmart, you know we have a WISE program and that program can create a fantastic store. You should also know that we have a shrink and safety program in place to create a safe environment for our associates and customers. Remember that we are in this business because we love and respect animals and BELIEVE in our vision of Total Lifetime Care (every pet, every parent, every time.), and we have to follow store programs to ensure that our customers are completely satisfied. We must be in-stock, we must be in associate training compliance, and we must follow the policies and procedures that PetSmart has set because they support the foundation of this company.
If you hate your job with PetSmart, give your SM a two week notice and leave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

tweetyholly in Onaway, Michigan

63 months ago

Well its called respect. I respect my managers even though they treat their employess like dirt,but when the manager who has your availability sheet right in front of her and keeps scheduling you for times when you are in class, I dont know if its just plain stupidity or what. The last day I worked I asked my manager for my break and she told me to ask another manager then she told me to go back and ask her again,its stupid. I feel like I am in kindergarten,and this happens daily not just every once in a while. For your information the girl that they made cry her only error was trying to help out,thats reason to make her cry. I just cant wait to leave,Im working there for a paycheck only (what little paycheck it is anyway) but I should be gone very shortly and trust me Im never gonna look back. I am glad that not everybody works in a bad store,but Im telling you, I know grade-school kids that could run the store better and be more organized.The one manager who makes the break schedule always schedules people on break at the same time, I mean come on lets get our brains out of our rears. LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RPP in Longview, Texas

63 months ago

Wow. I just applied for a job at my local PetSmart online last night, and found this forum today and have read all of it.

I'm pretty optimistic overall, and I'm choosing to lean toward the side of the positive experiences people have posted and continue pursuing this position. I called the store this morning to introduce myself and bring my application to the manager's attention. I am looking for part-time work, evenings and weekends are my preferred hours and I don't need any benefits. I've been a stay-at-home-mom for 15 years and am excited about re-entering the workforce; entry level and low pay is not a problem, since this job is primarily to provide supplemental income for our family. I've applied at a few places but PetSmart is my top choice, because I have a lot of prior experience working with animals (live animal room at a science museum, petting zoo, boarding kennel, and personally owning, dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, rats, rabbits, and chickens). I applied for the pet care specialist position but I have no qualms about cross-training and doing whatever is needed. I have no rose-colored glasses; I understand that caring for animals is messy, smelly, and that the ones in cages and tanks die, sometimes without warning. I can deal with all that.

It sounds like the majority of the problems people had were due to poor management. I'm praying the management at the store I applied at is good. If things turn out to be horrible, it's not a problem for me to quit and look for something else.

My one question, after reading about the automated scheduling and how it apparently is not so efficient, is: are they even going to consider me if I absolutely can't work during the day on weekdays? The earliest I can get there is 3pm, and I indicated that on my application. I am willing to work anytime on weekends, and holidays are no problem.

Thanks to everyone for all their posts, good and bad. It was interesting reading, for sure. : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

groommgr in New York

63 months ago

I think PS is a wonderful way to re-enter the work force! I was an at-home Mom for 15 yrs too and was active in volunteer rescue and when I returned to work, I stayed in the animal field. It progressed over the years to PS and salon mgr and was a great experience. I hope your store is as good as mine was!
Good luck and let me know how it goes!

63 months ago

The automated scheduling system is called PS(squared). It is a pain in the butt. Let's say you were coming to work for me. Your availability would be plugged into PS2 and, in theory, everytime I go to make the store schedule, it would only schedule you for the hours/days you are available. Don't let that bother you. My only concern is that most managers want to see open availability, and unless I needed just an evening PC Specialist or Cashier, your chances of being hired would be significantly lower than someone with the same experience and open availability. Your experience with animals is hard to come by and I would most definitly take that into consideration in the hiring process. I'm glad that you're not letting the negative comments on here change your mind. I find them apalling. I've been with PetSmart for over five years now, at five different stores and the program is the same. The way it is executed is the same, but managers WILL differ among stores (that's not a hard concept to grasp, because we as people are all different). From some of the attitudes on this forum, I'm surprised they ever got hired in to PetSmart. We'll chalk that up to bad hiring decisions (or pity hires). Don't be discouraged or discomforted by anything you've read. If you get the job, make a judgement then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

By the way, good luck to you :)

RPP in Longview, Texas

63 months ago

a-j-h in Big city, South Carolina said: By the way, good luck to you :)

Thanks a-j-h. Any advice on how long I should wait to hear something before I call back and ask if my application has been considered? A week, two?

63 months ago

Call four to seven days from the placement of your application to make sure the managers can and/or have reviewed it. Depending on what they say, ask them to call you when they have pulled your app. A comment like, "I really want to work for this company because I support its image, and I feel you'll find me qualified" is something I'd want to hear before making my decision to hire you or not.
Avoid calling too often, we understand when someone wants to work for us, but it can seem "stalkerish" to a staff of management. Once a week for three weeks is reasonable, after that, ask them to call you if something opens up. If this store you're applying to is anything like mine, we have a lot on our plates. It may take a little time...be patient.

SinderBela in California

62 months ago

i have not read all of this forum but i have read a little of it and i wanted to say that not to long ago i was hired as a bather at PetSmart. It is a job I have wanted for over ten years but did not have the confidence to try for sooner. Having 15 years retail experience at places like Ross, Sears, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond among others i can say no company is perfect, So far I am happy with my job but I am very disappointed with the training. I have received almost none and am expected to do things i don't feel ready or comfortable performing on my own yet. I ask someone to double check my dogs before they leave to make sure I did it right and they act like its a major hassle. I just want the customer's to receive what they paid for. I don't want to send a dog home with his nails to long because I am not good at trimming them yet. I had to chase a guy down and stop him in his car because when he asked if a dog got his flea treatment i said yes not realizing that flea shampoo and spot on treatment was both part of his purchase because i was not told so. It was my first day.
Also the "unwritten policy" of bathers and groomers not taking breaks bothers me. I admit In my 15 years of working retail i have skipped many breaks and i know that sometimes it becomes necessary but it has always been a personal choice. Yet I have never been expected to clock out for lunch and then return to work, while still off the clock, trying to hurry up and clock back in exactly 30 mins later so i don't get in trouble for going over on a lunch that i never even got. Today I worked all day with no lunch or break and about an hour and 15 mins before I was off i finished all my baths. I told my manager I was going to take my break and she said i had to completely finish my dogs first. I only had nail grinding and trimming left so I started them and as I was finishing up, now 1 hour before I was supposed to go, she told me I had 2 more furminators to do.

Robyn PHarr in Tustin, California

62 months ago

SinderBela;
I can't believe they still do that! They just recently had a class action lawsuit against them for EXACTLY what they are doing to you. It is SO against the law, that it's beyond comprehension that they still think they can get away with it.
Get a notebook, and keep track of EVERY minute of your day, breaks, times, etc. You WILL need it someday.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

groommgr in New York

62 months ago

Wow! After that suit we were ordered to take our lunches no matter what. I used to punch out and go back to finish a dog but realized if I got hurt during that time, I would not be covered by PS.
I would inform your store manager- if he/she doesn't already know. If they do know, then I would contact either the DM or human rescources and let them know what is going on. This is illegal and upper management will flip about this because it sets them up for another lawsuit and we all know no corporation likes lawsuits!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

blspicer in Towson, Maryland

62 months ago

I too was sexually harassed working for them and nothing was done. Not by them. I got out with a used mobile grooming truck and I love it. I don't shop in PS stores. I openly and regularly advise others of better places to shop. I carry pet distributor mag in the truck to show people what they can save. I carry a few brushes etc to sell to my clients at a much lower $ than PS. I am hoping to start my own web page with quality products at fair prices. In short I am getting revenge each and everyday first by being happy and second by directing customers away from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SinderBela in California

62 months ago

hey guys I need some advice fast,

I got bit by a dog yesterday at work. It never should have happened, the dog was showing signs of aggression before i got anywhere near it. it was a really tiny dog and in a bottom cage so obviously whoever checked in the dog (and no one seems to know who it was) must have known. It tried attacking me when i got near its cage and i was told use the gloves to get it out but it still didnt help so another person threw a leash over it and dragged it out. she managed to avoid getting bit (it was trying) and picked it up and tried to hand it to me and it bit me. I was bleeding all over the place (including on a white poodle they had me check in before they let me wash it out), it was almost 20 mins before i was able to wash my hand.

They sent me for a tetanus shot today and lucky i had 2 days off but i need to go back to work sat, and sat is very busy in the salon. my hand is sore and swollen and i cant really grasp as tightly as i should to properly restrain a dog (meaning holding a leash lol) not to mention how sore my opposite arm is from the shot. It takes days or longer for the soreness from a tetanus shot to go away but i have to work. Im still really new and if i miss any days i will lose my job. as it is they told me i was getting written up when i go back to work. and being new i cant make a big deal about it.. I mean i cant be like i cant do this or that cause im hurt, Im not that kind of person anyway but i dont want to put a dog in danger because i might not be able to hold it securely enough.

what should i do. sat is like the busiest day so i know i will be expected to do alot. i was thinking of talking to them tomorrow when i stop by to get my paycheck and asking if it is possible to only bath smaller dogs but i really dont want them to think I am making a bigger deal out of this then it really is. The bite isnt serious, it doesnt even really hurt.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SinderBela in California

62 months ago

sorry i couldn't write more....

just the swelling is bothering me when i try to close my hand, so i know nail trimming and grinding will be impossible.

does any one have any advice on what i should do, i mean as far as not making a big deal and still doing what i need to do. the doc says i needs to keep it clean and as dry as possible for a few days and that's not really a problem i have 2 days off after sat anyway. but i still need to wash dogs sat

Im really worried about getting in trouble and i know saying i cant do something will just make it worse. i really am not a lazy person and i dont want them to think i am. I am still very new at my job and i am still learning and i still make mistakes, but i learn very quickly from them. Its difficult due to the poor training but i am really starting to get a routine down and i am getting better. this is just very poor timing. I was so flustered after being bit the other day i made all kinds of dumb mistakes, like putting a dog in the wrong cage and forgetting to get a customers name when making an appointment.

but every one at work is so focused on faster, faster faster that i am really having difficulty. For example i went to school briefly for vet assistant and we always had a person restrain a pet during a nail trimming. yet we are expected to do it our selves. I have never cut dogs nails before (only cats) and PetSmart is my first time doing it. I still need to take my time when i do it. everyone else can do it no problem but it takes me some time since i am still learning. When someone holds the dogs i can get it done faster but still not as quick as them. I am a knitter so i know getting good at something takes practice and time. You cant expect to make a perfect sweater your first few attempts. But i am not being given that chance. I am pretty sure a pet parent would prefer their dogs be done slowly and safely rather the as fast as possible so u can start on the next pet

groommgr in New York

62 months ago

First a question- why are they writing you up? Are they saying it is your fault you got bit?
Second- you WERE bit! You can only do what you are able to do and no more. I would call the Dr you saw and tell them that your hand is swollen and sore and see if you can get a note putting you on light duty for a few days. I would also mention to the store manager that you have been forced to work during your lunch breaks but haven't contacted anyone about it -YET. Let them know they can't push you around-you have some ammo on them.
This sounds like a horrible store.

SinderBela in California

62 months ago

i think im getting written up because the dog was suppossed to be done by a certain time and wasn't. but i checked all the cages 3 times and he was not there. I even commented to another person that my appointment never showed up. right before i got bit i found him, with the cage card crumbled up so it wasnt easy to see and the dog was really small and black and in the back of the cage. He may have been there and I just did not notice him. No one at work seems to know where that dog came from or who checked him in but he was my dog. they say he got there 30 mins before i was scheduled ( i was on time). even the other person who was there with me didnt know that he was there. she said she got there about an hour before me and he was not there. I found him 45 mins before his pick up time and thats when I was trying to get him out and was bit. So they say the write up is because I didnt have him done. I admit I should have seen him there but I think all the blame should not be on me, whoever checked in that dog should have let me know especailly if they crumbled up the cage card so it was unreadable.

I do have a light duty note from the doc but the doc did say they have the right to let employees go who can not perform the job function. thats what worries me. I dont want to be fired over this.

groommgr in New York

62 months ago

Your light duty is only temporary and I can't see them letting you go for that unless they are looking for a reason to let you go.
Also, as far as a dog not being done on time- hey- it happens all the time! That is why in my salon, I have everyone take the cell # and call when done- circle the # and put CWD on the check in sheet and also can be put in the computer notes.
I will say it again- this sounds like a horrible PS and a horrible salon. Are there others close to you that you could transfer to? I sure would let the DM know what goes on in this store and if that gets no reaction, I would call the # in the lunchroom.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I do agree with groommgr. It does sound like an unpleasant store. I'd definitly look for another store to transfer to. PetSmart doesn't necessarily "write you up" and if someone said that to you, I'd probably call the CareLine and report that manager (that's negative reinforcement and we're not into that). We like to call it a coaching. If used correctly, it is to help you develop your talent and skill and help create a "culture oriented" retainable employee. I wouldn't worry, but look into a transfer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisa sneed in dallas, Texas

58 months ago

Sounds like many people have had lots of problems with petsmart. But everywhere you work will have either crappy managers or good ones. Thats everywhere. I am a salon manager and I can honeslty say that I NEVER let anyone miss there lunch or work through it. This line of work breaks are a must. Its a very hard job, but if you love showing your creative side through grooming pets, and enjoying being around them then its worth it. It always makes me feel good when my dogs look good and they prance around knowing it too. Or when you get a horrible pet parent that let there dog get so badly matted that it feels like cement all over the poor dog, its a good feeling when you make that poor baby feel SO much better. And as far as managers go..I have had good, and horrible. But depending on what positon you are in or heading toward in petsmart it can be a good job for you. And yes I agree bathers get horrible pay and have very hard jobs. When I was a bather a long time ago we got comm. it was nice..then they changed to hourly. Sucks. I wouldn't be a bather unless you were going to be a groomer. That gives you something to work hard for. If ya just need a job..be a cashier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sr3988 in Tacoma, Washington

57 months ago

I work for PetSmart in the Salon as a bather. I transferred nearly 5 months ago to a new salon and I am trying to get my W-2. I talked to my store director, but I was wondering if anyone knew the website where we do our paperless stuff online. I just wanna file my taxes but my Managers really haven't been all that helpful. Help please!

57 months ago

Go here... ipay.adp.com/iPay/index.jsf if you haven't registered, you'll have to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.