What do bather's think?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Bubblelady in Florida

10 months ago

I just wanted to know what the bathers think about their jobs and experiences.
Personally,I have good days and bad days.
Some days, I get incredibly frustrated with my workload, I feel it's a bit unfair that I have to clean after everyone's mess, and restock something as simple as towels (something that everyone uses!) while at the same time, having 2 dogs every hour, with walk in services flooding in every 10 minutes, and expecting to get these dogs out in no more than 3 hours.
Other days, I love my job, customers are compassionate, I get a decent tip here and there, and a dog comes in to make my day.
I have nothing against the groomers, and have never really worked with anyone too intolerable. I just dont feel it's fair to have such a heavy workload, and have them wine when they have to stop for 5 minutes to answer a phone.
I do enjoy working with animals and helping people. I just wish I got paid fairly for the work I do.
Any others?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mutts in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

I really like it but there's some differences at our store. For one, we only get slotted one dog every hour unless it's something simple like a short coated chihuahua. People kind of watch out for each other so if someone has to furminate a german shepherd the appointment maker crosses off two spots because it takes a long time do do the treatment properly. We're expected to get the walk-ins when groomers have dogs otherwise they do it if we're busy. It's still really nuts on Friday evening and weekends, the phones ring off the hook and people try to bring in really time consuming grooms as walk ins.

Bad dogs aren't a stresser for me but they are for others. If the dogs are too stressed or poorly behaved you just have to tell people ie the dog's nails can't be clipped today ect.

Some customers can be frustrating though, especially the ones that want to stand there and watch. I had a woman and her child stick around to wait for their dog's bath and I brought him out to do his brushing and nails/ears and the little boy wouldn't stop calling the dog's name and he was literally trying to fly off the table while I was working on him.

I will say the hourly pay is alright but the hours are terrible. One week I will have 22 hours and the next 13.5. Petsmart used to hire full-time bathers but now they never do.

Bubblelady in Florida

10 months ago

Your store seems like a wonderful place to be.
Im thinking maybe my store is very stressful. Petsmart and I seem to vary greatly about policies.
I was hoping it would be a job somewhere I could help animals, love getting up early to work, and express mhself creatively. I was very dissaoointed.

Mutts in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

Some of the transfers we've gotten say they like it a lot better here. It seems like their stores were too sales oriented and didn't want to give them the time they needed to do the quality of work they wanted to do. The good thing about our manager is that he's big on the contests, selling puppy kits and upgrades but doesn't seem to care if we take extra time with dogs that we feel need it.

Like anywhere in a corporation like this, it probably just varies so much from store to store. If you really like the job but not the management style, you could try transferring after a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.