What's the company culture at PetSmart?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 114)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

dreamer27 in somewhere

78 months ago

Cross training would be working in PetCare, and trained to run the registers, do stocking, etc. You will be everywhere in the store and they will tell you minute by minute where you will go at what time. Selling training classes is in all stores. They might not push so much if you are mostly in PetCare. The store that I was in already has the scheduling system. Corporate does the scheduling, not your store manager. Stressful for the managers to say the least. It doesn't work for trainers, because I can schedule private classes, so I can't do that and on the register at the same time. So corporate doesn't know what the **** they are doing. Glad that I am not having to deal with this company anymore. Don't worry about the stuff until they tell you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KH222 in Southington, Connecticut

78 months ago

On a side note....I've worked in the animal field before but more with dogs and cats. How often do you get bit working their (rodents, reptiles, snakes)? Do you wear gloves etc? when handling..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy714 in Largo, Florida

78 months ago

They dont wear gloves, But only time you really worry about getting bit is if your working in Grooming...Or maybe Training classes.
If your working in Pet care well you will be doing alot of EVERYTHING!
Stocking, Register, Selling, Fronting shelves....ALOT of work for what they pay!
And you never know from one min. to next WHAT you may be doing.
If you work register then you are required to sell training classes.
All i can say is good luck, I would never do it again thats for sure.
I was a cashier, They wanted me to be a Trainer...That wasnt gonna happen, so next they placed me in grooming where I ended up Face to Face with German Shephard full grown showing teeth....Needless to say...No more for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

78 months ago

65% of associates are bitten at PetSmart by dogs. I got bitten by a customers boxer in the face and got 4 stitches. I would have been okay if the lady hadn't pulled back her dog. ugh In class over 10 years ago I was bitten in the face and rec'd 7 stitches. This dog sprung up so fast off the floor I didn't know what hit me. I visited my store the other day and almost everyone has quit, and the managers there are finding new jobs. No one is happy working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KH222 in NOWHERE

78 months ago

Get bit?? How would i get bit by a dog if im in petcare and they dont have dogs? You mean by customers dogs that they bring in??
I'll have to keep that in mind!!

Yeah it sounds like a lot of work for one person, but i guess i'll give it a shot and then see what happens. Worse case scenario I'm not happy and leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

78 months ago

Dogs come through Specialty and you are to do your customer service and acknowlege the petparent and their pet and try to sell them a training class. I have dogs and I go into specialty because I had fish and a bird, so yes, my dogs would come into specialty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Eugene, Oregon

78 months ago

i work in specialty and yes, we are required just like the cashiers to get one class a week. if not, my store manager has threatened to write up whoever doesnt. I'm highly stressed at my job and i am constantly expected to pick up the slack of others who do not do their part (my pc managers words, not mine). I do not like working at petsmart except for the friends i have made with my coworkers. strongly advise against it, and i am searching for a new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessibdav in Shreveport, Louisiana

78 months ago

I've been with petsmart for 6 months now, I worked in petcare for 4 months and I have been a bather for 2....I am going to the grooming academy next week. Anyway for what petsmart does in grooming, training, everything I believe the associates are properly trained. Petsmart offers the basics in training & grooming. That is what you get. My roomate has worked for the PS here for 3 years since it opened and he is the Petcare manager now we both love our jobs...we work with fun people including our managers...it's decent pay and you get benefits for full time. I hate that all you other people have had bad experiences with PS....maybe you should come work at the shreveport PS!lol It truly has been the best place I've worked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jessibdav in Shreveport, Louisiana

78 months ago

Jessibdav in Shreveport, Louisiana said: I've been with petsmart for 6 months now, I worked in petcare for 4 months and I have been a bather for 2....I am going to the grooming academy next week. Anyway for what petsmart does in grooming, training, everything I believe the associates are properly trained. Petsmart offers the basics in training & grooming. That is what you get. My roomate has worked for the PS here for 3 years since it opened and he is the Petcare manager now we both love our jobs...we work with fun people including our managers...it's decent pay and you get benefits for full time. I hate that all you other people have had bad experiences with PS....maybe you should come work at the shreveport PS!lol It truly has been the best place I've worked.

also to add this we do not pay for our shirts...and if you have gotten seriously bitten by a dog you did something wrong or approached the animal wrong, sure you get nipped in the salon but we have muzzles but if you get seriously injured you should question what you did wrong in the situation because I am betting the dog didn't jump you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

askme1222 in Madison Heights, Michigan

77 months ago

If you're looking for a career at PetSmart and think if you work hard, be at their beck and call, always get great reviews and stay with the company for awhile you're going to "move on up" the ladder? It doesn't happen, especially if you are a woman, over 35 and have children/family. I've been with the hotel for over 2 years and have been stepped on repeatedly for advancement by either young girls and especially new "management" hires with absolutely no animal/pet experience (or recently, a young 22 year old no-experience girl afraid of the dogs, no pet parent/customer skills and a flaky attitude). Am I bitter? Heck yes, I've done my job and done it well and am basically stuck with another young manager who has the people skills of a toad. If you have a manager at your store that treats you with respect and appreciates hard work, you're lucky and I hope you do well. Here in our store, it's a sad place to work being treated like the crap we pick up day after day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

77 months ago

My last store was with corportate wannabees. They made life a living hell. I gave my all to PetSmart for over 10 years. I loved the company. Then everything changed when I came to my last store. They were so afraid that I would cause problems for them, they looked to get me out. Stupid me let someone use my 30% off coupon and they fired me over it. I paid it back, but yet even with all the years service I did, never ever was a written up, I had people write to corporate praising me, I worked on my days off, because a trainer quit doing 6-7 days for weeks. I gave my all to them. Like you, I am very bitter. Do I have stress anymore-NO. Am I alot happier, oh hell yeah. I am still doing what I love and I only answer to ME and she is pretty easy to get along with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

sherry gage in phoenix, Arizona

76 months ago

Alex K in Chicago, Illinois said: Oh, the irony!

After defending the fundamental principals of PetSmart, and of my store, I ended up terminated in February. I don't regret what I've said here. As brainwashed as I may have sounded, I made a career at PS that worked for me until I couldn't recognize the company for what it used to be. I loved the work, the pets, and the people, but I agree that PS is going in a very different direction and I can't continue to affiliate myself with such a company. Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum.

Alex K.

I agree ,especially in Phoenix the grooming salon's it's all about money how many dogs a groomer can do in a day and sell upgrades sell training class ,I always thought the store directors were there to assist you and help with management not so!!!!,if sales arent up a very negative atmosphere!! glad i left ,will never go back.,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

76 months ago

I also left in Dec. 07. (PetSmart decided that I shouldn't share my 30% off coupon) I am disappointed that the company doesn't care about its employees after being with them almost 11 years, never late for work, being their Area Trainer, brought up two stores to number one in training, never written up, worked 6-7 days alot of the time. It's pretty bad when I walk into the store now to work my dog, and the employees come to see if I will help one of their customers. This happened this past week. I think of my termination as being kicked out of the nest to go onto a better place. Even tho in the beginning I was upset over it, I am back to my happy self. I continue to do what I love to do and that is training dogs. I have gotten myself out of the PetSmart thinking of training. In my opinion, it didn't work and I was damn good at what I did. We were just not allowed to do things that were not in curriculum. I am like a sponge of knowledge of dog behavior. I attend the seminars to better myself as a trainer. PetSmart doesn't care for trainers who bettered themselves. They were not allowed to use any of it, even tho it was positive reinforcement. You know we are so into the positive reinforcement, but is the store management, corporate, use what we use in our training, NO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James Hannah in Falls Township, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

I am a former asst. manager who voluntarily quit in April of this year. I worked for PM for over 5 years, 4 of which we had over double digit growth, yet received almost no bonus for (because the bonus criteria is a book 20 pages long that no one understands and with multiple criteria nearly impossible to attain). At first I enjoyed working there, but treatment of all associates, including managers, has consistently gotten worse in the time I was there. $$$$ is the only issue, (and yes I understand the need for companies to make a profit, but not at the cost of alienating all of your associates)- personal quality of life is given little or no consideration. There is little or no promotion from within (in my experience)- they hire "bench managers" for more money than the current managers are making, then you need to train them so they can be given their choice of assignment/store, while you are left in the dust. They hire managers from outside the company who have NO pet experience whatsoever, and would not know a hamster from a handbasket. None of the upper managers have any pet knowledge whatsoever, but they sure are versed on policies, which most (not all but most) are a complete and utter waste of time.....I could rant all day- ask me about the scheduling system or forced transfers to stores over an hour away from your home sometime if you want to hear another good one...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danntheman in New Jersey

74 months ago

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois said: The new scheduling system hasn't rolled out here yet, how's it going for you guys? We're going to make the change very soon...

The new scheduling systems sucks! A computer can't predict the number of customers coming into the store (I don't care what data they enter) and inevitably we are short employees. It keeps punching out (useless) 3 hour shifts , starting times like 3:15 and 5:45. Petsmart screwed up big time when they paid big bucks for the crappy system! It would be so much easier and run more smoothly if everyone was given a set work schedule based on their availability. You would know what day and time you work every single week and could plan your personal life accordingly. It would cut down on the number of call outs, too if everybody knew they are working the same time, same day every week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

juflier10 in Maryland

74 months ago

Danntheman in New Jersey said: The new scheduling systems sucks! A computer can't predict the number of customers coming into the store (I don't care what data they enter) and inevitably we are short employees. It keeps punching out (useless) 3 hour shifts , starting times like 3:15 and 5:45. Petsmart screwed up big time when they paid big bucks for the crappy system! It would be so much easier and run more smoothly if everyone was given a set work schedule based on their availability. You would know what day and time you work every single week and could plan your personal life accordingly. It would cut down on the number of call outs, too if everybody knew they are working the same time, same day every week.

once again, i couldn't agree with you more, this new scheduling system is bogus and stupid! the 3/4 hour shifts are pointless and the old scheduling system (a manager) was so much easier and better, especially since you can't see what department the schedule even has you working, it could be 30min stocking, and 15 minutes cashiering, and 9 hours pet care....ridiculous!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

allison browne in Minnesota

74 months ago

juflier10 in Maryland said: once again, i couldn't agree with you more, this new scheduling system is bogus and stupid! the 3/4 hour shifts are pointless and the old scheduling system (a manager) was so much easier and better, especially since you can't see what department the schedule even has you working, it could be 30min stocking, and 15 minutes cashiering, and 9 hours pet care....ridiculous!

I hate the new scheduling myself. I have work for pm for a long time. This summer I was working 40 hours a week. Now I am lucky to get 9 a week. It sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoe11 in southern, Illinois

73 months ago

After reading this I debated to myself if I should comment. After constantly being treated like garbage I have decided speak up. I currently work at a PetSmart where every associate is treated like junk. The scheduling is beyond moronic. The store manager pads it so she has plenty of employees when she works, while other managers are left in the dust. Also apparently the only thing that matters when judging an employee is there availability. If you go to school, managers will treat you like garbage and constantly giving you a hard time. Lazy management often puts all the blame on their associates for slow sales or training sales. Management never take responsibility for anything and never defends their employees. Another issue the store has is for some reason the decide to promote incompetent associates. In this case a pet care associate was promoted and knew almost nothing about pet care. This associate has continued with horrible performance. This includes not giving medication to sick animals, while signing off on it. When other associates went to management, instead of confronting the problem, the associates were told to stop complaining. Hard working employees are critisized while lazy incompetent ones are rewarded, great way to run a store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

An Employees Boyfriend in Erie, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I am the boyfriend of a PetSmart employee. She has over 9 years experience working with PetSmart, as a Trainer, Cashier, and Head Cashier. She loves working with animals, and gives customers her best advice about treating their pets properly.
This past spring, we had our second child together. My girlfriend took her maternity leave, and when she went back to work, found that what had been a very good job for her, had slowly devolved into an OK job for her, and is now the WORST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO HER IN YEARS!!!!
The managers do not care one bit that her physician has prescribed "one hour at a time" cashier work, because of back problems, and routinely schedule her for 5 - 8 hours per day at the cash register. Corporate Headquarters does not care one bit about her health, and refuses to accomodate her physician's
work restrictions. Her regular job that she held before going on maternity leave is now pre-empted on a minute-to-minute basis by cashier work that the managers never seem to be able to schedule enough, or ANY, people at the right times, resulting in LONG lines at the checkouts. Of course, the managers are "above" doing such menial work, and order her to stop her price audit work to do more cashier work. Her hours have been cut from full-time(38-40 hours) to part-time(25-30 hours), and more cuts in store for the future, while other employees are performing her regular price audit responsibilities.
This woman has nothing in mind but the best experience possible for a PetSmart customer. She has routinely been the ONLY employee with an above-95% accuracy rating during District Auditing. She constantly receives accolades from customers about how well she takes care of them.
Because of the poor pay, we are forced to rely on one vehicle for both of us to go back and forth to work. Even though her position does not require a flexible schedule, her hours are being cut, using that as an excuse. She works with another cashier

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Who refuses to bathe, or wash her clothes, and who, even with ten years of "experience", still requires assistance with the most simple questions from customers.
Am I bitter? You bet I am. She is too good a lady for PetSmart, and a far better employee than they deserve. The management at her PetSmart, with one exception, is incompetent and self-centered. Their total disregard for the safety, health, and betterment of their employees is only surpassed by their ignorance of labor law and the total dominance of corporate greed over customer care and treatment.
I would continue, but I have a heart problem, and my blood pressure is going up. I will continue with more employee-futilty in the very near future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Back Again! The new scheduling system PetSmart insitituted is an abject lesson in futility. It was written by someone with absolutely no experience working with people, who works a regular-hours job, who doesn't give a damn that you have a family or any other sort of outside responsibilities, and with the idea that, if you don't like how PetSmart schedules your time, you can go work somewhere else. Literally, you can be scheduled to close at 10:00, and be scheduled to work the NEXT MORNING at 4:00 AM!! Heaven forbid if you have a family, or any other sort of responsibility that requires set hours, because if you can't live with their schedule, you're not PetSmart material!
This writer's opinion is that, if you can live with a schedule that changes from day-to-day, working 6-7 days one week, and 1-2 days the next week, and do not have the financial obligations that require a stable, regularly-scheduled job, then PetSmart MAY be OK for you, if you can stand being jerked around by wet-behind-the-ears "managers" who wouldn't know the difference between a debit and a credit.
I see next to this that an Inventory Manager position is open in Erie, PA, and that "shrinkage" seems to be a problem there. Well, if they would try to catch shoplifters, or actually call the cops when they catch a shoplifter, and prosecute fully, maybe they wouldn't have this problem. If you apply for the job, beware of what the ACTUAL management position is on shoplifting: Ignore it. Great way to conduct business, isn't it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

juflier10 in Maryland

73 months ago

LOL, I used to defend this company...and although I have absolutely no regrets for working at PetSmart and rising through the ranks. Retail is retail, and one can only take so much of it. I am now working for AirTran Airways! It will be so much better than retail I've heard, and am sure will find out...plus 2 weeks paid training in ATL, and flight benefits?!? 10000X better than 15% discounts...goodbye PetSmart!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

73 months ago

When I first started at PetSmart back in 1997, I loved everything about the company. I couldn't wait to go into the store to work. But the last couple of years it went all sour for me. I didn't like where the company was going. The customer service in not a priority. They treat the employees like crap. It's been a year since I left. The only thing that I miss is the money, but I have my own training business and am very happy with doing what I love most and mostly I am NOT STRESSED OUT!!. My dogs are happier that I am home. My husband doesn't have to wait for me to get home after 9pm every night and had to work one of the days on the weekends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dbabygirl in Blackwood, New Jersey

73 months ago

I worked for petsmart in the grooming salon for 2 years. When I first started, I absolutely loved my job. We had a wonderful store manager and were on the verge of getting an even better salon manager. about 6 months later, they fired our store manager and brought in a new one, Thankfully, he was amazing also and we all got along. We all had a family there, we (the groomers) hung out outside of Petsmart, planned get togethers, and parties at eachothers houses, called eachother just to talk and also to complain about usual stuff. and then it happened...They fired our second wonderful manager and brought in the Devil. As soon as she walked in we knew we were done for, she would talk badly about employees to other employees and smile to your face. Nothing was ever good enough for her and instead of working with us, she worked against us. I can not tell you how many "free grooms" she gave out, or how many times her husband (who had been fired from another petsmart) did work around the store for free. her children ran all throughout the store and proceded to tell our black salon manager that they were scared of "colored people" WTF??? There were rumors circulating that she was going to clean house in the store and the salon and that she only wanted male managers under her. well, little by little, our morale changed, we went from highest rated customer service to the lowest, and everyone was scared to come to work everyday. We would constanly ask who was working that day or what manager was on... this continued until they fired us all... Our National Certified Master Groomer salon manager and all of her "minions" the salon groomers. they wrote up the remaining trainees andbathers for "talking about the situation" amongst themselves and because the economy is so bad and the unemployment rate is up, no one in the area is looking to hire groomers. all in all they did this 3 weeks before christmas and ruined 9 childrens christmases. Do not work for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DogLover87 in Oregon

61 months ago

So where to start about Petsmart? I compeletly agree with what everyone else is saying about how petsmart only cares about money and sales. I was a petsmart employee for 4 and a half years. I started as a bather in the grooming salon went on to be a cashier and a dog trainer. I was lucky enough to have grown up with an education in animal behavior because the training given to trainers is no where near enough. I have always believed that anyone can call themselves a dog trainer and petsmart proves this. My store manager not only pressured each employee for sales but went as far as to bring me in her office and scream at me until i was in tears because I didn't make my sales goal. I did not become a trainer to be a pressure salesmen. I became a trainer to help people, i thought that's what petsmart cared about, but they don't. I bent over backwards for my manager and was there whenever she needed someone but was never promoted. I was told I couldn't be a lead cashier because I was a part time dog trainer as well but right before i left she made the lead cashier a dog trainer, go figure. My store manager had numerous complaints to corporate and they did nothing about it, why? Because money is all that mattered and she made the sales. I would never recommend anyone to work for petsmart. I wouldn't even recommend anyone to shop at petsmart. Pets may be family but employees sure aren't treated like family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rosesRyellow in Granger, Indiana

61 months ago

Then, I suppose its hopeless to expect that my daughter , who trained as a groomer, will ever get her mileage rebate that she was promised when she went to grooming school 6 months ago? Nobody seems to care that she hasn't received it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rosesRyellow in Granger, Indiana

61 months ago

And, oh yeah, she was ordered to come to work after being diagnosed with H1N1.Asst Manager who ordered her to work later backed out.Said she didn't say that, but she did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

so disappointed in Nashville, Tennessee

60 months ago

I worked at Petsmart. I loved my job and planned on being there for many years to come. I can tell you, that it IS all about the money. Petsmart DOES focus mainly on their "services" such as training and grooming. And yes there is a certain amount of training classes they expected each store to sell, even if there was no customers to sell classes to. Same with grooming, they are expected to reach a certain goal every week. And YES, I was in a position to read company emails and seen first hand the letters from the district manager ripping into everyone when they goals were not met for any reason.
I thought I was going to stay with this company and did everything in my power to help the store grow and maintain customers. I've even talked to people in the waiting room at the doctors office, because I over heard them talking about needing a dog house. Even on my off time, searched for rescue groups to partner with to grow the adoptions program that Petsmart has. Chose to donate money every week out of my check to help the Petsmart Charities program. And did so happily.
Being in the position I was in, I seen a lot in every department. For instance, a reptile order came in one morning. The order should have been checked in, and all the reptiles put into habitats. But the person CLOSING that department found a lizzard, luckily still a live, in the container it arrived in that morning. (which is a deli cup for shipping purposes)No one was wrote up. It was no big deal. I could go on and on....
And as far as getting milage checks. Good luck with that. I knew people at our store that never recieved their checks. The ones who did recieve their checks are the ones that CONSTANTLY bugged the managers to get it sent in. All they have to do is fill out a form and send it to the correct person.
I'm very disappointed in the things I have learned about this company. Money is the bottom line no matter what. And if you play the game right, you can keep your job. If not you are gon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J Smith2010 in Oregon

59 months ago

Alot of complaints about the grooming rooms and they are all right!!! The training isn't any better!!! This weekend in our local petsmart the trainer decided to take a NAP durning class!!!!!!!!!! Thats professionalism for you!!!!!!!!!! Does the store manager do anything about it??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gabs in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a management project on Petsmart and I've been trying to get an interview with various store managers but no one would talk to me. Can someone please help me with the following questions? Thanks!

1) Describe the company's culture. Espoused vs. Enacted values?
2) Define your boss's leadership style. Is it consistent company wide?
3) Competition:
- Who is Petsmart's competition?
- How do they compare in size (# of outlets, volume of products), quality of products, target customer and growth.
4) Training, meetings, communication of employment issues, and new policies. What stands out as good or bad practices?
5) Career opportunities in the company?
6) How does the company management measure success, and/or reward good performance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

exPetsmart customer/employee in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Do not shop or work at Petsmart - In my opinion, I would never suggest working or using any of Petsmarts services or buying their products. Their treatment of workers in their Colorado stores is in my opinion substandard. Support with workmans comp claims and in my opinion treatment of employees with managers seeming to not have proper training working with their employees dealing with employee issues that I feel is inadequate all the way up the corporate ladder. My friends daughter was injured over a month and a half ago and is still waiting for work comp pay cannot work full time and gets very little pay/hours if any.

Please reconsider and use another company like Petco or local owned companies and research or make sure they treat their employees well. I work for a large corporation that actually does provide the benefits and care for their employees that they advertise and promote so keep looking and work where In my opinion you are safe and protected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia

55 months ago

Hey. PetSmart treats you will if you are a competent employee. I really enjoy working for petsmart and the benefits are good for full time employees and management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia said: Hey. PetSmart treats you will if you are a competent employee. I really enjoy working for petsmart and the benefits are good for full time employees and management.

You must not have been there long and/or temporarily have a great manager - there is no such thing as a full time employee if you mean over 20 hours unless you are a manager. The benefits are good until you get hurt then watch out - do you get your breaks and lunches each day? your key word is benefits and full time with management are key not employees

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

exPetsmart customer/employee in Denver, Colorado said: You must not have been there long and/or temporarily have a great manager - there is no such thing as a full time employee if you mean over 20 hours unless you are a manager. The benefits are good until you get hurt then watch out - do you get your breaks and lunches each day? your key word is benefits and full time with management are key not employees

I am a manager, not the store manager. I've been with the company awhile and was moved into management quickly. If you are somewhat competent and not a total complainer, then you should be moved into management quickly. I always try to get my best people moved into management quickly, even if i have to lose them to another store by talking to my DM, ops manager, and store director. Developing your best people makes you look good on your reviews and you have people who are happy to help if needed in other stores. However, they actually have to be good or you will have a different problem. If you are unavailable to come in on short notice, have strange availability, slack off, complain, or have poor relationships with other management and employees, that is your problem. You already show a lack of maturity in bashing your old employer online. i am sure that is part of your problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia said: I am a manager, not the store manager. I've been with the company awhile and was moved into management quickly. If you are somewhat competent and not a total complainer, then you should be moved into management quickly. I always try to get my best people moved into management quickly, even if i have to lose them to another store by talking to my DM, ops manager, and store director. Developing your best people makes you look good on your reviews and you have people who are happy to help if needed in other stores. However, they actually have to be good or you will have a different problem. If you are unavailable to come in on short notice, have strange availability, slack off, complain, or have poor relationships with other management and employees, that is your problem. You already show a lack of maturity in bashing your old employer online. i am sure that is part of your problem.

And yes, i do get my break and lunch...however, it is my responsibility to find a time with coverage or when another manager is not crazy busy to cover for me. You have to take responsibility for planning your own breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

evan baxter in Auburn Hills, Michigan

55 months ago

The store I work in has full time associates, not management, in each department. Everyone gets their breaks no problem. That was a problem a couple of years ago but the managers came up with a break log system that has worked fine ever since and no one has missed breaks in a long long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia said: I am a manager, not the store manager. I've been with the company awhile and was moved into management quickly. If you are somewhat competent and not a total complainer, then you should be moved into management quickly. I always try to get my best people moved into management quickly, even if i have to lose them to another store by talking to my DM, ops manager, and store director. Developing your best people makes you look good on your reviews and you have people who are happy to help if needed in other stores. However, they actually have to be good or you will have a different problem. If you are unavailable to come in on short notice, have strange availability, slack off, complain, or have poor relationships with other management and employees, that is your problem. You already show a lack of maturity in bashing your old employer online. i am sure that is part of your problem.

lack of maturity is not my problem and current employer actually - was manager but going to school full time was more important - depends on the manager and their ability to handle work and work with all employees not just their favorites - everyone has different issues but manager should be experienced and mature enough to work with all to their best not making automated employees unless they work with corporate and reply in a negative way to others that are free to voice their opinions

you can get your breaks and lunches when a manager refuses to give you a break or lunch there is not much you can do - petsmart anonymous care line wont talk with you unless you give your name and store so what is anonymous about that and retribution for talking about it causes possible actions including work comp issues if you allow it - where is the CARE for their employees

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Plainfield, Illinois

52 months ago

I'm sorry, this might be a little necro-posting on my part BUT I've seen this post many times about people complaining about petsmart and the job they had to do, but I have to say this. What did you HONESTLY think it was going to be like? Just playing with animals all day?

Why are you complaining that there's too much emphasis on selling stuff? It's a business! It's a company! It's a pretty damn good one too! Not many pet store businesses have so much to offer as PetSmart does!

Look, I've worked for PetsMart before, and I'm just starting at another PetsMart tomorrow. I've worked in the PetsHotel, and at this location I'll be able to work in the store as a pet care specialist as well as in the hotel, as practically the same thing I was some years ago; all the dirty work, and rewarding work -- it just comes with the job, stop complaining. It works like a kennel that's probably cleaner and your dogs get more exercise and one-on-one attention with people. I'm not sure how other PetsHotels work in other locations, but the ones I've been to pretty much work so the dogs are out of their kennels MOST of the day, and are only in there some of the time when we have to clean their rooms.

AND Oh boo-hoo. So you have to pick up dog crap and wash the pee off the floor, guess what? They're animals. You want to work with animals, you gotta accept these things, INCLUDING having some patience & responsibility when you have to clean up after them.

Oh, and dress-code? Seriously? They aren't telling you to dress in a suit and tie, get over it. They're running a company, they want everyone to look like they're on the same team.

And yes, I understand it might be different in other stores. But when looking for ANY sort of retail job, you HAVE to have to have low expectations and run with what's handed to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Collie in Katy, Texas

49 months ago

DO NOT work for Petsmart. The managers only look for what you are doing wrong. They watch you on the video like reality TV. You will not ever hear them tell you that you are doing a good job.

The good managers I have talked to from Petsmart feel that they "have a target on their backs". (Sorry Alex K in Chicago, you sound like you were a good employee, too) One wrong move and you're fired - no warning.

I worked as a bather and then a groomer and was constantly and severely, verbally abused by managers.

Petsmart is going in a different direction and I'm glad I'm not going with it. It's depressing and the work and management will squash your self esteem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

My2Cents in San Juannull

48 months ago

The best asset a company has is NOT his employees... it is the RIGHT employee at the RIGHT position...
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Granted that PetSmart has a need to sell classes. They have to, it is one of the highest margin products of a low selling store with tremendous expenses. It is still the one company that cares too much about their pets. They will invest as much as possible on saving the life of a petparent's pet.

I see too much hating in regards of what PetSmart does wrong, looks to me like most of the comments here are based on personal working experiences… these experiences will be like this everywhere else since most of what I see here talks about personality and not professionalism. I’m a petparent myself. I believe in the system, though I understand that some people should not be in the positions they are at, but this does not make the company, it just shows that you have a not too sharp of a manger and he or she still needs a bunch of training.

PetSmart is a business, NOT charity, and PetSmart is in the business of saving lives and of course Making Money for all of those other associates that do enjoy working there that have to pay all their bills and mortgages, etc…

I’m not hating, I just think most people here generalize information based on personal experiences as an associate and should see the company as a whole… I know people that work there, at stores and corporate, it is a very complex business, but people can’t be more excited to work there. Their rate of growth is outstanding, granted that only IF you do your job right and are passionate about what you do…

You have a concern as an associate, don’t expect the issues get resolved because you feel that something is incorrect, take action, use the open door policy, I looked in the internet and I see Bob Moran is their new CEO, I could find him… so can you… If you want to work for the best company in the world but don’t take any action on your concerns, well… all companies w

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

My2Cents in San Juannull

48 months ago

all companies will be the same for you…

Just my 2 cents…

Love…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lorie_Skip in Charlotte, North Carolina

41 months ago

I was terminated from petsmart because of 'word of mouth' I worked in the grooming salon as a bather. I worked very hard, I came in when asked and on my days off I worked other peoples shifts anytime they needed. I didnt get ANY proper training in fact the training I did get was thanks to a groomer who took time out of her day to teach me. I was harrased and bullied and made fun of by my salon and store manager. And the drama in the salon its self was INSANE. These women were married with children and lives and I was this young kid with my first job and they couldnt keep quite talking about someone for five minutes. These women PRIDED themselves in running good bathers off. Also lets talk about to pecking order in there...The bathers are treated like worthless peons while groomers are put on this high pedastle. I can assure you I never spoke an ill word to customers. Me and my managers had our boughts but thats because I was treated unfairly and with no respect. I loved and still love that job and the animals there but they need some structure and control and PROFESSIONALISIM in petsmart. I hope one day I will be able to work a job like that again..Hopefully one day they will learn how to treat people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Heather in Plainfield, Illinois said: I'm sorry, this might be a little necro-posting on my part BUT I've seen this post many times about people complaining about petsmart and the job they had to do, but I have to say this. What did you HONESTLY think it was going to be like? Just playing with animals all day?
Why are you complaining that there's too much emphasis on selling stuff? It's a business! It's a company! It's a pretty damn good one too! Not many pet store businesses have so much to offer as PetSmart does!

Look, I've worked for PetsMart before, and I'm just starting at another PetsMart tomorrow. I've worked in the PetsHotel, and at this location I'll be able to work in the store as a pet care specialist as well as in the hotel, as practically the same thing I was some years ago; all the dirty work, and rewarding work -- it just comes with the job, stop complaining. It works like a kennel that's probably cleaner and your dogs get more exercise and one-on-one attention with people. I'm not sure how other PetsHotels work in other locations, but the ones I've been to pretty much work so the dogs are out of their kennels MOST of the day, and are only in there some of the time when we have to clean their rooms.

AND Oh boo-hoo. So you have to pick up dog crap and wash the pee off the floor, guess what? They're animals. You want to work with animals, you gotta accept these things, INCLUDING having some patience & responsibility when you have to clean up after them.
Oh, and dress-code? Seriously? They aren't telling you to dress in a suit and tie, get over it. They're running a company, they want everyone to look like they're on the same team.
And yes, I understand it might be different in other stores. But when looking for ANY sort of retail job, you HAVE to have to have low expectations and run with what's handed to you.

This is probably my favorite post. I wish I could hand this to people in an interview...bet it would get rid of slacke

Steve in Hanna City, Illinois

40 months ago

I worked for Petsmart for six years and feel highly qualified by education, training, and experience to comment on the corporate culture. Like most companies it is in BUSINESS to sell products and services. The business model is to package these services (training, grooming, vet) in a convenient one stop location. Each drawing customers to the other and acting primarily as advertising for their core PRODUCTS. In face the company ethos to save pets by sponsoring adoptions is just another advertising method. Having been an area trainer and having worked in three states i can tell you the level of professionalism and supervision and attention to customers varies from store to store. I have worked for and with some very good managers and some great staff. For the most part these are not professional people but retail folks who drifted into this type of enterprise since they could not get a "real" job. Frequently, the district managers are jokes and their corporate merchandising plan is so convoluted and constantly changes to make the customers unhappy and the staff overworked as budgets for staff payroll are constantly cut back. Few employees are full-time except "managers and even they do not make a "living" wage if you look at federal and state statistics. The in-house training program for employees is the blind leading the blind so lack of knowledge and expertise is to be expected. I have seen folks who were marginal cashiers promoted to grooming staff and pet care and trainer because they were there or could sell. Yes, selling is the core business. But misleading clients or out right misinforming to them to get sells is fraudulent. Priorities in the business are ever changing from pushing Pet perks to selling MORE and MORE Training Classes. The company's philosophy on trainers as excerpted from their own manuals is that you do not have to know anything about dogs, just training! If you need a job while going to school or until you get a real job it's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

ProPets in Deer Island, Oregon

34 months ago

I Have read these comments and will have to strongly disagree with most of them, I am an employee of PetSmart and I think they are a wonderful company. I have worked for Petsmart for about 4 yrs, There have been a lot of changes made in the company since I have been here but they have all been for the better of the animals and employees. The safety of both are a huge emphasis of Petsmart and is taken very seriously. If you have the right people for the job then a store will run smoothly wrong people=bad work environment. The animals are all very well taken care of, and are in great hands. Petsmart has a number of veterinarians that work for them exclusivley and have put in place policies and procedures to keep the animals in our care safe. I also have not been drilled to sell, sell, sell. I have been told to assist and help reccomend sollutions, whatever the case may be. I would highly recommend working for Petsmart and for the record we are very selective in the hiring process we hire with the mindset that these people are the future of Petsmart . And also our grooming departments are safe and are run very well and held to the highest standards, with the well being of the pets in care being our highest priority

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

34 months ago

I would like to agree with ProPets.
All changes have been for the better. Those from the "old" petsmart need to get on board or get out ofthe way because the direction PetSmart is going is awesome. There is a super cool remodel program now where old stores will get the TLC they need & The company is focusing more heavily on employee satisfaction and customer service.

If you take care of the company, it will take care of you.

jgeebiz in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

I have read a lot of comments both in this and other sites about Pets Mart. The one in our town seems to hold their employees better than most. There is a lot of negative things written about this company. I think Cooperate needs to have a heads up and see all of the bad publicity they are generating both from Current, past employees but they are losing customers by the droves. I was seriously considering working for them. I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the care of animals since I have been working with them for over 40 yrs. I have since changed my mind. If cooperate is only interested in the bottom dollar and nothing for customers, employees, and animals then they need to fold up shop and do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

jgeebiz in Dallas, Texas said: I have read a lot of comments both in this and other sites about Pets Mart. The one in our town seems to hold their employees better than most I think Cooperate needs to have a heads up and see all of the bad publicity they are generating both from Current, past employees but they are losing customers by the droves. I was seriously considering working for them. I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the care of animals since I have been working with them for over 40 yrs. I have since changed my mind. If cooperate is only interested in the bottom dollar and nothing for customers, employees, and animals then they need to fold up shop and do something else.

That's a shame that you feel that way. Go into a PetSmart and ask some associates how they feel. I think u will get a different picture from a current employee. Usually termed employees are termed for a reason. PetSmart does need to make $ but Everything we do is to better the lives of pets. PetSmart is rolling out a cool program called CARE. They are really pushing to be a preferred employer now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Aldo stock prices are high and growth fortheyearthus far is high. We're customers...not losing them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY! said: Aldo stock prices are high and growth fortheyearthus far is high. We're customers...not losing them.

Wow. Phone typing. *Aldo=also; for the year thus far; we're gaining customers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.