What's the company culture at Pier 1 Imports?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Pier 1 Imports?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Pier 1 Imports?

Reply - Report abuse

bba in Yonkers, New York

109 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Pier 1 Imports?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

the culture is not that great.... take it from someone who was there, its drama after drama, issue after issue, no jeans allowed and definately no fraternization. this company is going down little by little, they only care about the almight bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cassy in Beachwood, New Jersey

109 months ago

Working at Pier 1 used to be family orientated, but now you are just a body. The people at the top don't care about the person that works in the store just the money the store is producing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

hmj in Chicago, Illinois

108 months ago

i work at pier one, and i love it there. the people are awesome, and its like working with a bunch of friends. there isnt drama the only thing that is "drama"-like, is when someone talks about a stubborn customer. but thats it. but, also, people need to realize that ANYWHERE you work there will be "drama".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

carolynhamala in Fort Worth, Texas

101 months ago

I have shopped at Pier One Imports for many years. My brother actually worked at your store in Houston, Tx many years ago, he also loved it. He is no longer with us. I would absolutely love to work at Pier One, of all the places I live near w/all the jobs I could seek out Pier one is the one that is in my heart. I know that I could be an asset to the Pier one family. There are 2 Pier One's within 10 min. I would love to work at the one on bryant irvin and camp bowie however, but, I am willing to go where ever there is an opening and maybe transfer later. Please, if given the opportunity I will show my devotion and dedication as a part time employee. Phone #817-731-8997

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Felicity Green in Vestal, New York

78 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Pier 1 Imports?

I've worked at Pier One for nearly two years now. The first year was okay. Lots of drama, as others have posted. The store does seem to attract well meaning creative types, but gossip and emotions are rarely in check in and out of the break room and there is a deplorable amount of negative comments made by managers about other managers to sales leaders and associates. Makes one feel caught between occluded fronts sometimes. The nice thing about my first year, starting October 2008, was that customer service really did come first and was presented to us associates as the best way to improve the store's bottom line. This year that was ditched for a sales at all costs (especially instant credit sales) drive that has nothing to do with customer service and everything to do with the corporation (and I mean the top) servicing their bottom line. Customers are noticing, by the way. We even had to watch a Holiday Sales video in which stated "people expect to wait in line". That Instant Credit push seemed to be the main drive toward creating P1 profit ... on the backs of consumers. What a shame. There's no pride in the store or in the job anymore. As for the products. Way over priced for what they are. I know because I regularly unload the truck and help construct furniture. It's often dinged, damaged and sometimes even dumped before it hits the sales floor. These defects aren't all occurred in the warehouse or aboard the truck. Careful examination proves many pieces aren't designed or manufactured well in the first place. As for the environment. Everything's over-packaged with a lot of non-recyclable packaging! Adios P1.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bad time there in Boulder, Colorado

37 months ago

So I worked there back in 2008 in another state (not CO), and at 1st I loved it, but then it changed. It wasn't the customers or other associates, but it was management. As others have said before pay sucks and it's not worth it. The managers are pushy, greedy, snobby, and play favorites with people. For example the dress code says no tennis shoes but one employee wore them and nothing was said. One day I wore them and was sent home on a slow day with 1 hour left at night during my shift. I was sent home for wearing clean grey tennis shoes. Yes, sent home for wearing tennis shoes. Other catty stuff like that would happen like during a truck day the Asst. Manager opened late right when the merchandise had to be on the floor. For truck days you had to be there at 5:30AM and the full merchandise on the floor by 9 which is basically when the store opened. The manager didn't say anything, but if I was 1 minute late she would call me yelling on the phone right when I was walking in the store.
Now my time there might differ from the people in other places, but it just sucked! This was THE WORST job I ever had! Subway was better than this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

37 months ago

I have enjoyed my time shopping at Pier 1. Sadly though I think many of these brick and mortar retailers will be gone because of the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hmm in Gilmer, Texas

37 months ago

Like every minimum wage retail job, there is good and bad to working at pier one. I think what really determines the quality of the store is the people who work there. I honestly love working here compared to other places I've worked. I have a couple really laid back managers and I love working with them, because they're so chill & we get along really well. Our store manager obviously isn't as laid back, but she is super nice and really easy to talk to and work with. She doesn't act snobby or like shes better than the associates, she will be working on the sales floor in an apron right along with us. She's also really flexible when it comes to our schedules. I haven't had any drama really. I guess the managers do kind of play favorites, but I don't notice as much because I am one of those favorites lol. As long as you're competent and do your job it's fine. There is only one employee I don't particularly care for and I hardly ever work with her. I don't know if the dress code is different in different states, but at my store we wear jeans and a black or white shirt. Also, at my store our managers try to really make us a "team" so we do have little parties at work, like cupcakes for the fourth of july and we have associate appreciation week where they give us small gifts and also throw us a little party with food provided. We also are given gift cards when we get the most pier one cards. So, it's really not bad at my store. I guess it just depends on who you work with!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cj in Hartford, Connecticut

20 months ago

I work for pier1 and let me tell you they are not a good company to work for. The pay is awful you don't get commission for selling, and you have to sell sofas dining tables etc. you also have to load those large heavy items and put them in customers cars. I can't tell you how many times I've also had to unload trucks carrying our large furniture. They pay minimum wage and expect you to do all of this work on top of selling. The company also does not back their employees when there are issues with product and customers. I do not recommend anyone working for this company. There are plenty of other retail stores they pay better and you don't throw your back and neck out while trying to sell products. Worst company by far to work for. Don't do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kaye Miller in Fort Worth, Texas

13 months ago

At the corporate headquarters in Fort Worth, TX we have a casual dress code (including jeans) everyday. The environment is busy but we promote work life balance by giving every new hire 4 weeks of vacation and flex days through out the year. We have a friendly environment and people often socialize outside of work.

Our stores have a different dress code and vacation policies because they are in front of customers and the stores have to be open when customers want to shop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.