Pitney Bowes is a horrible company to work for!!!!!!!!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Browneyes_01 in Westland, Michigan

78 months ago

I starting working for Pitney Bowes a month ago. The only African American in my department. I was told that my work was inadequate but was never given proof, worked in a harassing environment and was taunted with racial inappropriate verbage. When I was given a written warning. I requested that HR or the manager in charge allow me to hear the calls that customers where saying I was not giving good service again, to no avail. I brought up the racial comments the manager lied and stated he was not part of the conversation, which he was part of. a week after I stated in written form that the department need diversity classes and that there was no proof of inappropriate calls only heresay and who do I go to since I was the only African American within the department. I was let go without any reason. I asked why and I was informed that since I did not have my 90 days they can let me go without reason. This company has the audacity to promote diversity within thier organization and they have pure "D" grade racist within thier organization. "Beware" of working for this company. And to add insult to injury I have requested a letter of termination and a copy of the write up where I wrote about the lies and the racially charged words and I still have not heard from [edit: name removed]. Again. "BEWARE"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

sexyn in East Orange, New Jersey

75 months ago

What postion did you hold while you were with Pitney Bowes? Was it a customer service position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

sexyn in East Orange, New Jersey said: What postion did you hold while you were with Pitney Bowes? Was it a customer service position?

Yes, it was customer service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sexyn in East Orange, New Jersey

75 months ago

What did this position entail? I am going for a client service rep. I think that is a tad bit better then the customer service position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cininmo@gmail.com in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

I also previously worked for PBGS (Government Solutions) in St. Louis, MO. I was employed for almost 9 years and constantly witnessed favoritism, violence in the workplace that was never addressed, and racism (both sides). They claim to be fair but are anything but.Efficiencies have climbed to 190%. I jokingly call them a carpel tunnel factory. The "company doctor" was charged with fraud. So you never wanted to make a claim fearing retribution. I would never reccomend this company to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cininmo@gmail.com in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

I am sorry, I meant to include that there were many incidences of physical and verbal violence with no response from management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

cininmo@gmail.com in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am sorry, I meant to include that there were many incidences of physical and verbal violence with no response from management.

You know it is truly sad that this company is still operational.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Spreilly in Milton, Massachusetts

73 months ago

PBMS & it's sister div are a great case study for American business " what not to do's". They have a silent "turn" policy. Sales people are bad but management & operations RULE. It's not a very positive or nurturing environment. Their managers are a negative and not a proactive force. Boggles my mind how they stay in business with their continuing hire/fire mentality. Not disgruntled employee but saddened on how many good people they go through!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Spreilly in Milton, Massachusetts said: PBMS & it's sister div are a great case study for American business " what not to do's". They have a silent "turn" policy. Sales people are bad but management & operations RULE. It's not a very positive or nurturing environment. Their managers are a negative and not a proactive force. Boggles my mind how they stay in business with their continuing hire/fire mentality. Not disgruntled employee but saddened on how many good people they go through!

I totally agree with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joegunn in Wallingford, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I fully agree. I spent 5 years with PBMS, as a successful COM and Sales Executive, yet, after ranking 6th and 4th in sales in 2006 and 2007 respectively, I was terminated for performance issues while many below me continue to be employed. Do you think I'm a bit disgruntled?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

None'oyobidnez in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

I worked for PBMS in sales for 1 1/2 years. After 2 months they demoted my boss and put a guy in charge who was clueless about our vertical market. We had one inexperienced support person to do studies for 7 salespeople and the general manager, who had approval authority for ALL proposals, had to practically be tackled to review said proposals. They touted their ethics, but, in my opinion, had anything but. They treated the hourly employees like dirt, had a nasty reputation for racism (head of West Coast HR was formerly w/ Denny's--do that math) and when a previously fired VP was brought in to head up the West Coast numerous people were terminated w/out cause (they tried to fabricate performance issues, but couldn't) so he could bring in his cronies. Don't go to work there and if you do, line up a good labor attorney to handle your case once you're terminated on somebody's whim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

None'oyobidnez in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

I worked for PBMS in sales for 1 1/2 years. After 2 months they demoted my boss and put a guy in charge who was clueless about our vertical market. We had one inexperienced support person to do studies for 7 salespeople and the general manager, who had approval authority for ALL proposals, had to practically be tackled to review said proposals. They touted their ethics, but, in my opinion, had anything but. They treated the hourly employees like dirt, had a nasty reputation for racism (head of West Coast HR was formerly w/ Denny's--do that math) and when a previously fired VP was brought in to head up the West Coast numerous people were terminated w/out cause (they tried to fabricate performance issues, but couldn't) so he could bring in his cronies. Don't go to work there and if you do, line up a good labor attorney to handle your case once you're terminated on somebody's whim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Spreilly in Milton, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I'm still waiting for my expense money from last Dec for 2007 expenses to be paid. They supposedly were sent to the wrong PO box by the postal service!!!!! Maybe they used a PB postal meter? !!! Still sad to see these comments exist above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dizzyahn in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

We were just taken over by PB on the 1st of January, thinking changes would be for the better, but so far the changes are turning out for the worst. To handle our paycheck errors or any other errors we have to call corporate office. Even if you get the error fixed they will reimburse you at their earliest convinence.
We were given a combined paste together revised version of our old company hand book as our new PB HR policy handbook. key phrase they use in this handbook is policies maybe changed revoked or suspended at anytime without notice.

So why even give us a handbook if you telling us you can make up the rules as you see fit, when problems occurs not to your liking.

Types of errors: Calculations for Overtime pay wrong, they enter your back pay hours on your pay stub but do not pay you for it. They subtract vacation hours and do not pay your for it. Telling us our carried over vacation, pto, flex days must be used by march 31 or esle forfeit them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DaveyW in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

I'm trying to understand where telesales reps get their leads from - is it cold calling, are leads provided, just how tough is it to get through and sell via phone for PB?

Is pay adjusted for sales units, $, profit or what?

How much will I make and how as a telesales rep?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GYMMAN62 in Boise, Idaho

62 months ago

THE COMPANY PROVIDES LEADS FOR ALL IN HOUSE PHONE SALES. AND MOST OF THEM ARE AN UNDERSALE. SO A REP GOES IN MAKES A CORRECT SALE AND IS PAID ON THE SALE LESS THE AMOUNT OF THE FIRST SALE. IN OTHER WORDS THE SALE REP IS RIPED OFF!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

whatever in Richmond, Virginia

16 months ago

Don't feel bad. That industry is tanking bad with more and more people using the internet. I worked for their competitor and although I was treated fine the products are just not in demand like they were 10 years ago but they continue to increase quotas. Stay away from the mail machine business PERIOD! It's tanking bad and will not recover. Pitney Bowes and other companies will continue to lay off employees as a result of this. If you like sales get into something like website sales. Now there's a business booming and will continue to boom!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

whatever in Richmond, Virginia

16 months ago

Go into business for yourself and avoid all of this! Best decision I ever made was getting out of the mailing system business and going into business for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve Roberts in Mukwonago, Wisconsin

9 months ago

Browneyes_01 in Westland, Michigan said: I starting working for Pitney Bowes a month ago. The only African American in my department. I was told that my work was inadequate but was never given proof, worked in a harassing environment and was taunted with racial inappropriate verbage. When I was given a written warning. I requested that HR or the manager in charge allow me to hear the calls that customers where saying I was not giving good service again, to no avail. I brought up the racial comments the manager lied and stated he was not part of the conversation, which he was part of. a week after I stated in written form that the department need diversity classes and that there was no proof of inappropriate calls only heresay and who do I go to since I was the only African American within the department. I was let go without any reason. I asked why and I was informed that since I did not have my 90 days they can let me go without reason. This company has the audacity to promote diversity within thier organization and they have pure "D" grade racist within thier organization. "Beware" of working for this company. And to add insult to injury I have requested a letter of termination and a copy of the write up where I wrote about the lies and the racially charged words and I still have not heard from [edit: name removed]. Again. "BEWARE"

I currently work for PB and have never worked for a more incredibly diverse company. I am proud of this organization, and feel strongly that these are isolated incidents and might be totally one sided information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mostly harmless. in Birmingham, United Kingdom

5 months ago

I worked for Pitney Bowes in the UK as an Engineer until around 6 months ago, it is a truly awful company to work for, if I had to pick one word to describe working for them it would be "Toxic".

They have no regard for your work-life balance at all, you will be expected to be on call 24/7 week after week and your working hours are constantly changed around at very short notice, it was pretty standard to cover 2-3 different shift patterns within the same week. On average I used to get maybe 2 days a month where I wasn't either at work or on call, that includes weekends.

During my time there the company haemorrhaged millions into many failed projects, a showroom and offices that cost a seven figure sum to build only to be closed down within 18 months, a service system that cost 22M that just didn't work, which the company spent around 7 years trying to make it work solely by blaming everybody for not using it properly before finally giving up on it and replacing it with something even worse.

Management are completely adversarial in everything they do, there are cliques within management that keep some seriously incompetent people in work while real talent goes unrecognised.

The company HR dept puts on a good front when it comes to diversity, equality, work-life balance and all the other usual stuff but this is just lip service, once you are in the meat grinder all of that goes out of the window. You can take grievances to HR but you will be leaving the company shortly afterwards, if you are lucky it will be in with the next round of redundancies or if you are unlucky they will find some minor error in your time reporting or expenses and give you the boot.

This is a lumbering wounded dinosaur of a company in a dying market, extinction beckons for PB, don't let them take you with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

dcruzperez in Irving, Texas

4 months ago

Browneyes_01 in Westland, Michigan said: I starting working for Pitney Bowes a month ago. The only African American in my department. I was told that my work was inadequate but was never given proof, worked in a harassing environment and was taunted with racial inappropriate verbage. When I was given a written warning. I requested that HR or the manager in charge allow me to hear the calls that customers where saying I was not giving good service again, to no avail. I brought up the racial comments the manager lied and stated he was not part of the conversation, which he was part of. a week after I stated in written form that the department need diversity classes and that there was no proof of inappropriate calls only heresay and who do I go to since I was the only African American within the department. I was let go without any reason. I asked why and I was informed that since I did not have my 90 days they can let me go without reason. This company has the audacity to promote diversity within thier organization and they have pure "D" grade racist within thier organization. "Beware" of working for this company. And to add insult to injury I have requested a letter of termination and a copy of the write up where I wrote about the lies and the racially charged words and I still have not heard from [edit: name removed]. Again. "BEWARE"

I worked for Pitney Bowes for 4 years. I to was fired because of my "technical skills". I pleaded to no avail for any examples of my lack of technical skills. My manager had "verbally warned" me many times of this supposed problem but never NEVER!! once gave me a SINGLE example of a task or a customer call I had failed to complete propely, but NEVER!!! did he provide an example. I'm Puerto Rican and even though I can't legally prove this, the reason was that my manager being afro-american was intimidated by the request of some of my white co-workers to fire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dcruzperez in Irving, Texas

3 months ago

I added a comment to bronweyes_1's posting a couple of days ago but want to extend an apology to Pitney Bowes and to former co-workers ... Let me explain. When I read browneyes_1's posting of being fired under so similar circumstances I just reacted and wrote about my experience. But as I read further down I read Steve Roberts comments were he states that this is a good company, that he's proud to work for them and that these were isolated incidents. I have to agree with him, because PB is not responsible for all the bad apples' actions in the organization. On their online training, that all techs are required to take, their high standards and ethics are clear. My gripe is mainly with a bad apple supervisor who's action should not be taken as a reflection of PB's values and attitude toward their employee.
I also want to apologize, because I stated that my supervisor was afro-American and that he fired me because he was intimidated by some white co-workers that wanted me fired (specifically one that he had know for many years). Even though this is true and I stand by it, in no way I want to give the impression that I was being mistreated by my white co-workers. I must have interfaced easily with 50+ different white co-workers in my 4 years with PB and the great majority (really, except for a couple of them) were always decent, professional, friendly and respectful to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.