What's the company culture at Pro Sports Club?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Pro Sports Club?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Pro Sports Club?

Reply - Report abuse

annonymous in Seattle, Washington

83 months ago

Culture is odd, sorry to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Mercer Island, Washington

83 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Pro Sports Club?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Pro Sports Club?

By and large, the trainers are very clique-ish. In training, staff are told it is their job to
smile at everyone and look happy. In an attempt to brainwash the staff, they are called case memebers (as in filming our own movie). Cast are supposed the make the club fun like Disney. Get real. The club is fancy and well funded but the emphasis is superficial (as in botox and boob jobs) rather than on true health and wellness. This attitude is fomented at the very top of the organization. THe club members are generally just regular people. A PRO membership is an employee benefit for Microsoft employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

B-Ken in Seattle, Washington

79 months ago

Being an 'ex-cast member' of 5 years, and having experience of working in the various departments such as fitness, spa, member services,etc.... I must inform you that this club is by far one of the most superficial clubs. Thankfully I got out before it got really bad and it was one of the best decisions of my life!
The cast members are expected to be Robotic- and you are told that it is considered 'creating moments of magic' or 'going above and beyond' if you do additional duties outside of your job description and if you don't, you're not a team player. Not a big deal if it's an occasional thing, but eventually those 'outside duties' become part of your daily duties. But they don't pay you additional, instead they reward you with an in-house prize called 'nuggets.' You can trade nuggets in for gift cards which you are TAXED out of your paychecks for.
The club does an amazing job creating a culture of employees, which upper management secretly refers to as 'customer service evangelists' or 'soldiers' and you are brain washed into thinking that you are lucky to be a part of their amazing team. It's almost like an abusive relationship. They work you death, and convince you that you need to come into work when you're sick, in pain, injured, snowed-in, etc.... so you end putting your health on the back burner (even though they promote that they inspire healthy lives, and your Reviews actually incude a section where you can be critiqued on your activity level, exercise habits, eating habits, and whether or not you live a balanced lifestyle), but they don't compensate you the same as other companies and it wasn't until I left that I realized how underpaid I was.
This company must be stopped, but as long as Microsoft is around, they wont be going anywhere.
If you enjoy your individuality, your health, your freedom and NOT being treated like garbage from the people you cater to, then this is not the place for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fitness Nut in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

I can't agree more with everything that everyone has said about Pro Sports Club. The turnover has been so high lately. I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience working at Pro Club prior to their mega-expansion. At that time it was an amazing place to work- with so many wonderful employees and members. But once the expansion was complete, they lost that small club feeling. The place is enormous now, and they are trying so hard to maintain their customer service- that the culture has turned almost cultish. You were told that you must always smile, be happy, if you're having a bad day or were under rressure and maybe didn't perform to your best ability- it was almost a 100% guarantee that it would come up in your review that you had a bad attitude. This didn't happen to me- but I witnessed it with several staff reviews.
It's really sad because the club used to be amazing- but is now just a really big club with a lot of equipment, employees and members.... and that magic is gone :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jj walker in Riga, Latvia

72 months ago

B-Ken in Seattle, Washington said: balanced lifestyle), but they don't compensate you the same as other companies and it wasn't until I left that I realized how underpaid I was.

NOT being treated like garbage from the people you cater to, then this is not the place for you.

Can you please give examples? This board is set up exactly for people like you to give specifics. Exactly how is the compensation different? Give examples of Pro Club salaries verses another club. There is no reason to protect them by not releasing this information.

In what ways did the members treat you like garbage? Is this kind of disrespect allowed by management? I mean, when you report it to your superiors, what was their response?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jj walker in Riga, Latvia

72 months ago

Fitness Nut in Seattle, Washington said: I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience working at Pro Club prior to their mega-expansion. You were told that you must always smile, be happy, if you're having a bad day or were under rressure and maybe didn't perform to your best ability- it was almost a 100% guarantee that it would come up in your review that you had a bad attitude. This didn't happen to me- but I witnessed it with several staff reviews.
:(

Again, let's hear some policy specifics. I am considering getting a job at this place, but would like to know more details about what I would be getting into. For example, what would happen if something about a bad attitude come up in a review? Would you get some kind of demerit? What would it take to get fired? How often are the reviews? What are the reviews for?

I would also love to know what the tip situation is. Are tips allowed, given, shared, accepted, plentiful, sparse, which jobs get most?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.