How do I pass a computerized pre-employment exam?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 118)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

seccityjen in West Bloomfield, Michigan

89 months ago

I tried to apply for Progressive 2 years ago. I have extensive experience, including 5 years with Enterprise Rent a Car, and I couldn't pass the pre-employment exam. I am now going to take the test again. Can anyone help me to pass it this time? How should I choose my answers? I am taking it tomorrow...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (345) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in North Ridgeville, Ohio

89 months ago

Where and how do you take this test? Are these questions located on their web page when you apply for a specific position?

I applied for a coulple jobs online and the few questions I answered were not demanding at all. I was able to answer them with 100% confidence that I am qualified.

A friend told me as long as you have a college degree you have a very good chance in getting hired (according to his new hire friend).

Well I have a college degree (but mine is a BS in electrical engineering), unemployed, need the job, and would be an exemplary employee.

I never heard from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

89 months ago

Sorry to hear that you did not score to their liking. I remember taking alot of police civil service tests. They had a couple hundred questions on various things, psychological, decision making, etc. Same/very similar questions were repeatedly asked.

How is one granted to taking the test? Only after your online application is selected? Or can I walk in the office and ask to fill out a job application, and the test is with the application?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Minneapolis, Minnesota

88 months ago

I took the test last month and did not paas the first part - Math and Verbal. I tried to hard to answer each one and did not pass any up. There are 50 in the section. I felt that I had passed, but no way - I was stunned.

I am going back in May to retest and hope to do bettter. Any suggestions on that part? Do you remember how many you answered? Did you skip questions and move to the next?

My thoughts were to skip the ones I do not feel are going to be answered correctly and not worry about how many I answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

seccityjen in Canton, Michigan

88 months ago

Kurt- Here is my best advice on this STUPID test- I overheard the ladies saying that I had to get at least 22 out of the 50 correct to pass. I made it to about question 31 or 32 before I started skipping questions. I am so bad at math that I am amazed that I passed as well. Since no one else was in the room with me, it really helped me to say the questions out loud to myself and work it out, out loud while using the scratch paper they provide. I hope you have the same luxury- I know that when I was testing for Blue Cross Blue Shield there was a room of about 50 people taking it all at once and I wasn't able to use that technique. They use the same test, but it is in paper form. Also, my boyfriend said that with the EQ personality test you answer the questions with an add-on like you would read a fortune from a fortune cookie. When reading the questions to your self add "at work". He said that it works every time. So when it asks you if it is true that you have never lied in your life, you can answer that it is true- at work!
I thought it was both funny and thought provoking, because I bet that rule would really work! Anyway, I hope that this helps you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chasikya

88 months ago

seccityjen looks like you passed the second test. I am also going to take the test for the second time in May. What do you think helped you to pass the second time versus the first time? Can you give me any tips on what kind of math to study, or a website I can go to to study? Did you get the job? How do you like it?

P.S. If anyone else has tips on how to pass, that would be great! If I don't pass this time, I'll be hurting!!!

Thanks for the help!

Chasikya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chasikya

88 months ago

Jake in Elyria, Ohio said: Could someone post a few example questions?

What subject areas are on this test?

I forgot exactly what questions are on the Progressive test because I took it months ago, but I do know that they have math & grammar on it. On a test I've recently taken for another insurance company, they have math word problems & grammar on it as well. For example, one test I recently took for another company asked a question like this (John worked for 8 weeks and earned $200. If he works five days per week, how much did he earn per day?) It also asked, something like, milk is to cereal as cake is to ?-then you'll have to choose an answer. I've finally realized that I need to study for these tests the best way I can. If you don't pass, they don't tell you why, or what you need to study that's for sure. So I've gone through the back door and have been studying free IQ tests online and also elementary school math word problems, & how to solve them, etc. I would also study measurements, fractions, percentages, whatever you can think of...these people act like you're still in school. Hope this helps! I'll be taking my test in a couple of weeks, so wish me luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

whatever in Cherokee, Oklahoma

88 months ago

as many have already stated, the biggest problem is that they dont give you a score whether you pass or not. I was fortunate enought to pass the first time, but even then i was interviewed over the phone for 45 minutes and then told that I had NO customer service skills. They were very rude, I wouldnt pursue a career with them anymore. If you chose to take the test make sure you read the questions carefully, they ask the same questions in different form to see how honest you are. There are alot of number sequencing questions, and even a few geometry questions. One question asked if you had EVER broke the law, these questions are stupid b.c. everyone has broken the law, but they want to get an idea of how in depth your critical thinking is. best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

seccityjen in Greenwich, Connecticut

88 months ago

Everyone (employers) LOVES a good dog and pony show I guess....

I agree that these tests are all really expensive pieces of crap that alot of employers are using to supposedly "weed out" the bad people. You are right about the questions being the same on the test. Unfortunately more and more employers are using a Wonderlic or other pre-employment exam for this purpose. The REDUNDANCY is even better displayed in the question if you had EVER, IN YOUR LIFE broken a law. They tell you that they want you to be honest before you take the test, but if you don't lie, low and behold, somehow you didn't pass! AMAZING! So, my best advice, like I said in prior postings is this:
When you take a test like this, LIE your pants off and pretend you have never made a mistake in your life, and that you are the 100% perfect employee. Make sure that you stay consistent with your BS, goody-two-shoes answers that they want to hear. And it is a miracle! You pass!
The point I always like to make is this: These tests don't tell a future employer about the whole human being even if you WERE being completely honest. They reduce you and the experiences in your life down to statistics on a page! Therefore, if you want the job, answer every question as if the perfect person would answer. That is what they want to hear, and that is what will get you a chance to move on in the process.
Good luck in your endeavors everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

I remember an episode of Seinfeld when George gave Jerry some advice. Jerry was going to take a lie detector test. George gave the advice, "Remember, it is not a lie if you believe."

Another example would be that Kevin Trudeau guy. He really has himself psyched out to believe that all the crap stuff he sells on those infomercials are good.

Oh, and these rich people and employers are the same way! So make sure you believe!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seccityjen in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

88 months ago

Okay, then my final advice would be to adhere to a consistent "theme" that you are the greatest employee, and answer from that perspective. I am telling you FROM EXPERIENCE after taking TWO personality tests with Progressive and TWO with Blue Cross that just "being honest" doesn't work. I am living proof of that. For every couple of tests I tried answering the most honest way, and then I tried answering as if I were the ideal employee. BOTH times when I answered the way an ideal employee would answer, I passed. BOTH times I was completely honest, I didn't. No one is going to be able to answer the exact way that another person did, but you have to keep that "theme" in mind. Finally, don't ever answer the question about if you have broken any laws in your entire life with any version of "yes" or you will be rejected. I KNOW it, because I have been rejected for answering honestly.
Some of you will disagree with what I am saying, but I am speaking from experience here, but it is a really bad job market in the state I live in, and my 7 years experience and 4 year degree have been negated by company policies to reject people with my experience on the basis of results from a test like this. I guess I am the only one that thinks this is nuts???
It wasn't even like I was applying for jobs that were out of my skill set! I was a manager for 5 years and some test told Blue Cross that I wasn't fit for management. I was a great employee and was promoted several times, so I know that I was a great manager. But company policy mandated that I should be rejected, regardless of my resume and regardless of my interview. I guess I am the only one that feels like she is taking crazy pills here, though. I just wanted to help people navigate through this flawed employment process. Sorry if no one thinks my comments haven't made any sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

whatever in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

88 months ago

you will not be rejected if you answer the question about breaking the law if you answer yes. I did and I passed the first time, speeding is breaking the law. Not coming to a complete stop is a violation of the law. Everyone has broken the law, EVERYONE. Be honest and consistant on the test. that is the reoccuring theme, best of luck to everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

To those that passed this written test, were you hired?

I'm still confused. Did you walk in off the street and ask to fill out a job application, at which time they also enclosed the written test with the job application?

All I want to know is if I can walk in off the street at my local Progressive office tomorrow, would I probably be allowed to fill out a job application and take the written test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chasikya

88 months ago

Jake:
As far as walkin' in off the street-I don't know. Why don't you try it? All they can tell you is, no-this is not the way to apply. I applied online via their website. I submitted my resume & got a call back as a result of that.

Jake in Elyria, Ohio said: To those that passed this written test, were you hired?

I'm still confused. Did you walk in off the street and ask to fill out a job application, at which time they also enclosed the written test with the job application?

All I want to know is if I can walk in off the street at my local Progressive office tomorrow, would I probably be allowed to fill out a job application and take the written test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chasikya in Riverside, Cali

88 months ago

My question to those who passed the test is the same as Jakes...Were you hired? If so, do you like the job? What do you like/hate about it. Is it worth going for?

Thanks

Chasikya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I know seccityjen. I am a claims assistant right now & know a boat load about how claims work, but I have to pass the freakin' test first. I bet you I'd be a better adjuster than somebody who passed the test, but has no claims experience. Anyway, I've been brushing up on math and anything I can think of. Like I said, these people act like you're still in school. We'll see...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

Heck I can't get a callback. I applied online for a few positions but that is where it ended.

Wow, imagine that. I am a college degreed Electrical Engineer with advance math and physics. Prior to engineering I was a cop with plenty of pyschological testing successes and some accident investigations.

I wonder why Progressive will not even give me a first interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John from Pennsylvania in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

Well, an associates degree will not qualify you, regardless of the field, unless you ALSO HAVE 5 years with experience in the field, or a very similar work experience. Following the written test, there is a phone interview and following that, if you pass, a final person to person interview where it's your last chance to shine. If you make it through all 3 steps and they like what they here, in terms of customer service, professionalism, and work ethic, then you have a good shot at being hired. As for getting hired off the street, No, and if you really want answers you can navigate Progressive's website and it pretty much explains the hiring process, and they do not deviate from the standard hiring. They do check job references and do a thorough background investigation prior to your last interview, so that's also very important to being hired, and of course, being financially stable with a decent credit score would assumably better one's chances. No one wants a risk working for a well known insurance company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

Chasikya, Yep. I'll definitely jsut try the walk-in and sew what they do. It wouldn't be the first time I if I get turned away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Who said anything about an associates degree?
So...I'm assuming you've been hired? Do you like the job? What's the best/worst part about it?

John from Pennsylvania in Denver, Colorado said: Well, an associates degree will not qualify you, regardless of the field, unless you ALSO HAVE 5 years with experience in the field, or a very similar work experience. Following the written test, there is a phone interview and following that, if you pass, a final person to person interview where it's your last chance to shine. If you make it through all 3 steps and they like what they here, in terms of customer service, professionalism, and work ethic, then you have a good shot at being hired. As for getting hired off the street, No, and if you really want answers you can navigate Progressive's website and it pretty much explains the hiring process, and they do not deviate from the standard hiring. They do check job references and do a thorough background investigation prior to your last interview, so that's also very important to being hired, and of course, being financially stable with a decent credit score would assumably better one's chances. No one wants a risk working for a well known insurance company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

seccityjen in Canton, Michigan

87 months ago

By the way everyone- I got declined this morning. I knew I was doomed when I got a message at 5:04pm on a Friday. Most HR folks don't call you to go over your new job assignment as they are walking out the door. As I called them this morning, I pretty much knew what would happen.
The claims manager said it was because I wasn't specific enough when it came to explaining my two month period without a job. I told him I was searching for a job, i guess that answer wasn't good enough. I wonder what futher details he would've liked to hear?

Also, the Branch Manager said I was "too disorganized" and "not specific enough" when answering the interview questions. Perhaps I could work on my organization better, but I did in fact ask at the end if there were any answers that weren't quite clear enough. They idenitified two that they wanted me to re-do, and I did right then and there. They nodded and smiled and looked satisfied with the answers. I asked them finally if they had any further concerns about me. They said no.

So the only thing that I can really conclude here is that they just liked someone better than me. I know I may not be a flawless interviewer, but don't these seem like minor items to any of you? "It's not like all my answers didn't seem credible" or other things like that.

So, after many tears this morning, it's back to the drawing board. Maybe they are a much harder company to get into than I thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

calebsdad in Springfield, Missouri

87 months ago

Just took it and passed both. Simple questions, comparing word meanings and simple math like if 3 pens cost 2 dollars how much for 3 dozen. The personality test is simple just be honest. And stay consistent. The best advice i can give on it is to answer each question as a true or not true, not using the sometimes true etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chasikya in Riverside, Cali in Fullerton, California

87 months ago

Hi:

Congratulations!! What kind of math would you suggest I study? Algebra? Geometry? Would you give an example of what you mean by word meaning? I take the test for the 2nd time this Monday and would really like to pass. Thank you.

calebsdad in Springfield, Missouri said: Just took it and passed both. Simple questions, comparing word meanings and simple math like if 3 pens cost 2 dollars how much for 3 dozen. The personality test is simple just be honest. And stay consistent. The best advice i can give on it is to answer each question as a true or not true, not using the sometimes true etc.

Richard in Winter Park, Florida

87 months ago

I took the test and passed them all. Which test was it that you didnt pass?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gandalla in Winter Park, Florida

87 months ago

Are there any progressive employees out there that can tell me how long it takes to do the background investigation. I passed the math and grammar tests. I also passed the psychological profile exam. I then did the phone interview with the HR Manager that went well because he set me up with an appointment to do another face 2 face with the district and branch managers.
I pretty sure those went well also because the HR Manager called me the next day and asked me how it went. He also told me that he got a lot of positive feedback from the interviewers. He said I was going into the background check phase and that where I am at now. I was just wondering if anyone knew how long this part of the process takes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I didn't pass the math/grammar part. I have been studying what I can and just can't seem to pass it. I also answered more that 22 questions. I'll just keep studying & trying.

Richard in Winter Park, Florida said: I took the test and passed them all. Which test was it that you didnt pass?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

yep they are.

Daniel in Theodore, Alabama

87 months ago

were are they, do you know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I thought you were asking are they taken online. The tests are taken online, but they don't actually have a site you can go to to look at the questions. Just study how to solve math word problems if you aren't good at them. Also included are grammar questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

I passed the test on the first try, got the phone interview and nailed every question. I actually prepared for the interview and it helped my friend had the same interview. Didnt even hear from them, its kind of funny that they dont exactly tell you what you said wrong or anything negative. I graduated with a business degree from Notre Dame, funny but i thought this would an easy job since I am rather lazy, lol. On a serious note, goodluck with the job search guys, dont get down if they dont reply, I got the next job I applied for and make much more than Progressive offered. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

aagar2003 in Vienna, Virginia

86 months ago

I took this test today at one of the Progressive Insurance's location. It is easy but make sure that you spend sufficient amount to answer it correct. My approach was to answer the questions correctly as far as I can before making guesses in the end. I was able to reach I guess upto 40 questions and then I started guessing. It is a Wonderlic Test and has two types of questions: Verbal (vocabulary) and the Quantitative (Mathematics of SAT type).

Luckily, I got the pass result in an email from the HR recruiter when I returned back home after the test. You don't get the results over there after the test finishes.

Some of the questions I don't know what to answer. Examples:
1. It's and Its have
a. Similar meaning
b. Contradictory meanings
c. Neither Similar nor Contradictory meaning

(I was like Its is not even proper English I guess. But I might be wrong as I come from a non-British background)

There were other questions which involve certain idioms as well.

Overall just go and give the damn exam. There isn't something that you can prepare for these kind of stupid examinations. Be calm and relaxed and try to answer the questions correctly as much as possible.

ENJOY and Best of Luck w/ ur job search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trumpet in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

It seems like everyone has the same questions and problems. I felt the tests were easy, you just had to be analytical and not brush over it too fast. For example, one question was: "all chickens lay eggs" (true or false) {false}, roosters don't lay eggs. The timed test is used only for analytical and quick thinking. There is 50 questions and you have 12 minutes to answer the questions. I only answered 29 of the questions and passed. The second test (behavioral) asks the same questions over and over again while changing the wording. Probably 60% of the questions were repeated with different wording (there was 125 questions). Read through them slowly, because the wording can make you answer contrary to how you are. Once again, even though its a behavior/psychological test, they're trying to see how analytical you can be, in addition to consistancy. The behavioral phone interview takes about 1 hour, and the questions are all similar in that they ask for a situation you've encountered, what action you took, and what the end result was. You will be emailed some websites to check out regarding the behavioral interview, and I recommend that you look at them. The background check can take a week or longer. You will have you DMV records checked, criminal boackground checked, and transcripts from your degree granting institutions will be verified. For the second interview, you meet with the branch and state (hiring) manager. The take turns asking you questions that are really the same as the questions asked from the phone interview. For me, the entire process took slightly over three weeks and I was hired. I was notified two days after the second interview with an offer of employment. If you really want this job and you have a desire to succeed, then your chances of being hired increase. Don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

86 months ago

Hey Trumpet in Denver,

Which type of college degree do you have?

I wonder if Progressive would find my Bachelor of Electrical Engineer degree attractive? Attractive enough to interview me.

I applied online for a position, but there were not any type of tests. I never was called.

Thanks for any info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Hancock in Santa Ana, California

86 months ago

I just had the 12min Wonderlic test today. I actually stumbled over the website a couple days ago just to get an idea what the test was about. I figure it can't be that tough and I'm not stupid either. I do have a BS in Biology and like to think i'm intelligent. I went in, the lady sat me in front of an archaic computer. Did 3 practice questions, pretty easy, then started the test. I knew I didnt do that well b/c I took too long on a couple of weird questions and that did me in. Some is trivial, either you know it or you don't. Some examples to help you test takers are: 1)All chickens lay eggs question, true or false 2)"its and it's" have similar,contradictory, or neither, wtf? 3)if 3 pens cost you 10cents, how much would 1 1/2 dozen cost 4)what's the opposite of autumn, a)vacation b)spring c)winter d)fall e)summer 5) Unscramble this sentence to make true and put the last letter of the last word as the answer, "always a has verb sentence the" Needless to say, 12 minutes later, I didnt pass, didnt ask her why b/c I knew they wouldnt say anything and just left. Before anyone is seriously considering this job or career life, be sure to go to Jobvent.com and see what people had to say about this company and compare the complaints to the rest of the other companies out there. I thought Enterprise was a tough company to work for but its nothing near Progressive. Its SHOCKING!!! I understand people like to complain about companies but when you see that Enterprise has about 270 negative reviews, and they were second to Progressive with 885, it makes you think twice. But do read it, very interesting. I was disappointed to hear what people had to say since I thought progressive was strong and growing, but I figure I'll take the test anyway and see what its all about. Don't get me wrong, I can't believe I didnt pass this "Wonderlic" test but so be it. It doesn't mean sh!t I'm not planning to retake the test anyway, move to another company. I hope this helps some of you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Well John in Denver, Maybe you're right, maybe I don't have what it takes to be a Progressive employee and I'm ok with that. But I do want to let the potential Progressive employees know as much as they can, get an idea of what the company is about and where they're headed. I don't want anyone who failed the interview process to feel bad about themselves. If you don't pass, don't worry about, there's many other opportunities out there. I understand after writing that post, I'm going to receive some cynical remarks saying I'm bitter because I didnt pass, but I'm cool with it. Some people may find my comments helpful and your comments helpful, some may not. "one of the best companies in the world???" think again John...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

86 months ago

Hey Tom Hancock, glad to see you're ok with the results. I am motivated, intelligent, and have a winner attitude. I am honest and will help anyone.

Yet Progressive will not even let me come in to take whatever this test is that everyone talks about. And I do have a college degree, tougher, in fact, to get than any business or marketing degree.

Maybe this test is like those civil service tests the police and fire departments give, along with the hiring process. They are designed to [disqualify] you, and then family and friends get the job. Notice how police and fire seem to have generation after generations in those departments? Perhaps this is what Progressive does.
This is just my outside observation based on all the nepotism that I have encountered over the years.

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

86 months ago

By the way, to those of you that were hired at Progressive...What are your titles? What exactly does your work entail?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Jake, I don't understand why they won't at least have you come in to take the test. I don't see anything that would have you declined. You have a degree, motivated and I'm sure intelligent. It was easy for me to get a test date. I got an email from Careerbuilders, applied to Progressive just for the hell of it, got a call back, set up a test date in two days. Too bad I screwed that up, but that's b/c of poor time management on a few questions. I'm sure you should be able to pass it. If some of you want some more examples of the test, go to yahoo and type in "wonderlic test." ESPN will have a wonderlic quiz for practice purposes and they are VERY similar to Progressive's. Looks like Vince Young may be smarter than me. Oh well.... As for Progressive being bias towards hiring their friends and family, I doubt it. There's so much turn over that it shouldn't matter. Even I got a test on it and I don't have any connections to the company. If they're not giving you a chance then you're better off looking elsewher Jake. I'm sure you can certainly do better since you have the heart and desire so try not to worry about them. Of course its all about timing too. Hope this you and anyone else out there that is reading this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dannette watkins in Margaret, Alabama

86 months ago

I have read all the comments here. I believe what you are saying...Because I too have went the same route by giving honest answers, most test like these are not wanting the truth. You almost have to ask yourself when you read the questions, ok now what are they really wanting me to say here???? As far as breaking the law? Thats a trick question because everyone has broken the law at some point in their life. Like speeding, etc. The questions don't ask you how you broke the law....it will automactically incriminate you if you just answer by saying yes with no reason behind it. These are trick questions.....

oh and guys please don't bass me on my english........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Painesville, Ohio

86 months ago

Hello Everyone!

I took the Progressive test last week. Pasted the first half but not the personality portion. A represtative came back in the room and read from a script that simply said I did not qualify in their eyes for a customer service position. I was shocked! I have 23 years call center and customer service experience and love that kind of work. I can't figure out what they are looking for. My sister has been employed with them for a very long time and loves her job. She said no one she works with seems to know how the test works either. Does anyone know which kind of test they use for the personality portion? I thought the representative said PEQ but I cannot find any information about it on the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

No wonder I didn't pass....can't even spell "passed" or "representative"......LOL! Can we say spellcheck?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

huh in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Jake in Elyria, Ohio said: Heck I can't get a callback. I applied online for a few positions but that is where it ended.

Wow, imagine that. I am a college degreed Electrical Engineer with advance math and physics. Prior to engineering I was a cop with plenty of pyschological testing successes and some accident investigations.

I wonder why Progressive will not even give me a first interview?

You may be too qualified and your profile might indicate you won't be with that company for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Thanks...that makes me feel a little better!

I've known people who have taken the test over and over and not gotten in. They say you can re-test in 90 days....I say why bother? If you were honest the first time (and I was) you are most likely going to answer the same way again (unless you feel the need to lie) and end up with the same results.

I think I'll pass on any re-testing.

There are jobs there that do not require that entry testing so we'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in California in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

dannette watkins in Margaret, Alabama said: I have read all the comments here. I believe what you are saying...Because I too have went the same route by giving honest answers, most test like these are not wanting the truth. You almost have to ask yourself when you read the questions, ok now what are they really wanting me to say here???? As far as breaking the law? Thats a trick question because everyone has broken the law at some point in their life. Like speeding, etc. The questions don't ask you how you broke the law....it will automactically incriminate you if you just answer by saying yes with no reason behind it. These are trick questions.....

oh and guys please don't bass me on my english........

Hey everyone. i just went through all the steps in this forum. I have an Art degree but was able to proceed through their interview process. It may have a lot to do with the way your resume is presented. By that I do not mean the glorious accomplishents of your past, but how you can fit EXACTLY into the job requirements of what you are applying for. As far as the first 12 minute test, it is a standard wonderlic test, which is basically in an IQ test format. It makes it next to impossible to study for. The character test was as easy as being yourself, taken that you are not some crazy, dishonest danger. I did answer yes to telling a lie and breaking the law. Moving violations of course. Before the phone interview, there a websites to help you prepare for behavior based interview questions. This really helped me, since some questions seem irrelvant at worst, and in the distant past at best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

85 months ago

Tom Hancock in Santa Ana, California said: Jake, I don't understand why they won't at least have you come in to take the test. I don't see anything that would have you declined. You have a degree, motivated and I'm sure intelligent...

I don't see why either, unless it is because I am overqualified like someone else said in a post.

The other day I read through some forums for engineers and some of them now think that overqualified is a politically correct way to say an applicant is too old. Who knows any more?! I guess companies want to keep us guessing on a "need to know basis."

From what I gather the turnover is very high for Progressive. I guess it is a good thing for me they did not call. If they have such a high turnover rate one can only deduce that
(1) they are too hard to please and they always fire people
(2) people can't stand it there and quit
(3) the kicker here--their tests do not work and they weed out the wrong people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

To All, I was hired by Progressive and continue to work there on a daily basis. My position is a claims adjuster, you basically do all the work that a claim rep does at another insurance agency, with the additional appraisals and estimates, which you also handle. It's a one stop shop at Progressive, which by the way, has paved the way and changed the way all other large insurance companies now do business. As for what exactly they are looking for on the test. I can tell you this: dress professionally just to go and take that test. The individual at the front who will let you in, passes on you customer service to him and your appearance and demeanor are all screened as well. So, don't think, oh, just a nice pair of shorts and a collared shirt will do, dress to impress. Additionally, the test administrator has a larger role in screening you, and the real test has begun before you even begin your written test. There is no magic answer for this test and really no way to prepare, contrary to what some people may think, so just be honest and use common sense, overly honest answers that put you a predicament should probably be omitted. Be smart people, that's all. Progressive is looking for young, intelligent people who are charasmatic, driven and motivated. It's one thing to say you are these things, it's another to convey it during the interview process. I know the interview process really well because I made it through all 3 interviews. So, be extremely specfic, succinct and straight to the point. Also, try to show examples of how you are a flexible person, that's all I'm gonna say about that, believe me, these are 2 VERY CRITICAL components to Progressive's specific interview analysis. Lastly, be prepared to know your work history inside and out, your positions, and examples of YOUR situations where you experienced intense pressure of discomfort, and how did you handle it and what did you do to improve the situation. Practice other tough interview Q's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

You must be prepared for your interview, know your work experience inside and out. Show examples of flexibility and leadership in your past work experience. Show up for the written test in professional attire, yes, just to take the test. You are being screened from the moment you walk in to a progressive office for your test, by the way, believe it or not. They are looking for younger motivated, intelligent people and those who are striving for the top. It's one thing to say you are like this, it's another to convey it to an employer with out being over the top. Find your happy medium, prepare immensely for the interview, and another tip, it's a good idea to have at least 4 or 5 facts pertaining to the company, so do your research as well. I have already been hired, so if anyone has any specific q's, please feel free to ask, I'd be happy to hook all you people up with the insider info. I did a lot of research and preparation for my interviews. Here's a hint, the interview process is behavioral, so do your research with that. For those of you who take the hint, run with it, for those who don't understand what to do now, believe me, I'm not being an arrogant or mean person, but you won't make it through the interview unless you know how to proceed from here.. Good luck to all of ya, even you john hancock.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in Antelope, California

85 months ago

Howdy John,

I'm being scheduled for my oral interview with the branch/district managers next week, and I've been told by HR that there's 20 people applying, and only 5 openings, so I'd like to increase my chances as much as possible.

What I'd like to ask is if you recall what questions are asked or were particularly pertinent during your in-person oral interview(s)? I've been out of college awhile now and thus far not a bite from a professional job, so increasing my chances would mean the world to me.

Also, anything else you believe would be helpful to know would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Some Guy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miss176 in Davis, California

85 months ago

I have a question about the hiring process I was wondering if someone could answer. I'm currently running through the hiring process, but something's been bugging me. I too was told there were a variety of people applying for the position I was applying for, but it didn't quite add up.

What I mean is, the way Progressive conducts interviews, at least in the branch i've been going to, is very timely. Example.

Job is posted officially in early June.

X people apply in the first week and begin going through the hiring process.

Out of the initial applicants assume 4 make it through the entire application process.

June 5th: Application
June 6th: Called, appointment to take wonderlic scheduled.
June 10th: Wonderlic taken.
June 11th: Phone interviewer is called. Appointment is made.
June 15th: Phone interview passed. Background started.

The above dates are merely posted to give an idea on how fast Progressive, well, progresses through the hiring steps. What i'm mainly confused about is what happened to these early applicants? My final interview was scheduled for late July, and from the hiring information I was given, they must give you a decision of employment 48 hours after your final interview.

Were these early applicants forced to wait a month and a half from their phone interview to get a shot at an in-person, or were there earlier in-person interviews conducted?

It's just i've been given the impression that the advertisment was for X openings, and X openings remain a month and a half later, even with so many people applying, and undoubtedly a whole mess of people going through the process well before I did.

*shrug* *confused* It just bugs me is all =P. It doesn't sit right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miss176 in Davis, California

85 months ago

Sorry if the above is confusing :(

I probably should have added that the hiring process, to me, has been incredibly fast. The entire process, from initial application to final interview looks to be just about 2 weeks.

It just seems like the job openings should have been clearly filled well before now, a month and a half after the original posting, or at LEAST partially filled. But from what i've been told, all the positions are still up for grabs.

There, hope that clears it up. :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.