Public Storage News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 56 of 56)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Alen Wells

39 months ago

Anonymous in Vancouver, Washington said: Unfortunately, PS is a farce. The management team really have their heads in the sand. The communication between corporate and the field is spotty at best. No one really knows what's going on. Just try and get an answer from anyone (like benefits/HR) and you'll see what I mean.

They treat their property managers like the dirt under their nails. The pay sucks and don't even ask about the benefits. A PM I know had to pay 5k out of their OWN POCKET for surgery. There is no promotional opportunities for PMs at all. As the Operations President himself said.."It's a dead end job",

The District Managers are expected to work 60-70 hours per week

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alen Wells

39 months ago

Do you or someone you love or know have a personal Horror story about an experience with a self storage facility? If you do, you can share it with the world on the following website page. bewareselfstoragereport.com/my-horror-story/
I found the entire site informative and fascinating.

Signed,

Alan W
Phoenix, az

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelnelson39@gmail.com in Fayette, Mississippi

33 months ago

OMG!!! I have a horror story about the little storage company that was formed after 2 upper management Officers with public storage left and decided to start their own little company..They formed SST. Strategic storage trust.... and started buying up storage facilities all over the country as a real estate trust. They branded them under Smart Stop Self storage....look them up under SSTI...anyway around 2 years ago my fiancé decided to leave the Target corporation after 26 years in upper management and retail...logistics....he heard about a job with a storage facility here in the Jackson Ms. area and had his interview for a PM. The Dm at the time was awesome and she really new her stuff since she had also left p.s. And had high goals for her district...anyway we moved onto the property and he began training....for the first year everything seemed ok,except for the long hrs.off the clock hrs. Dealing with a 522 unit facility spread over 17 acres....they had no call center yet and he was always on call. Anyway right after his first year the property became #2 in the district and he received awards and new iPad... He was really dedicated to his customers and the company...he was being train to run a district,,then tragedy struck...he had a bad wreck and almost lost his right ankle...the relief manager was called in and the chaos started. He is a very unreliable and unethical person..who claimed to be a friend...[not] he is scum.....anyway since I lived on the property and new a lot of the tenants already and have an extensive sales and legal background I was offered a position. It was a part time position but I was working in J. My fiancée place so I was getting full time hrs. The DM assured me from the beginning that I was going to stay on permanently,so I gave up my other full-time job and chose to drop my college courses in criminal justice at first just for a semester..as J. Was recovering I ran the office and began to really like the job.[will be 2 part]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

[ part 2] anyway after 2 months J. Came back to work slowly and we were working the office together..the Dm was pleased with my work and upper management was satisfied too. I was given my evaluation and passed and was given a raise.....the end of the year budgets were good and the whole district was supportive...at the first of the year our D.M. Told us we were getting a new D.M. And that she was new to the company and not a nice person....that was an understatement...she came in a few weeks later and started making un called for and unethical changes,that will come back and bite the company..they already sank that property...people started moving out like the place was on fire due to price gouging,and Out of control fees.we soon learned that she was on a mission and will use any unethical,illegal,and down right immoral tactic she can to reach her goals..this was slowly becoming a different company..all about the numbers. Customers and employees were dirt and replaceable. If you had a legitimate idea or concern, then you became her enemy....I had never taken a day off,worked 6 days a week for months and did all my reports on time,but she soon started hinting that I was temporary,when I finally had to take time off due to my mother being deathly I'll and had to leave on short notice, she treated me with distaste and disrespect.sent we a wry cold e-mail and told me she never got my message that I clearly sent....she scheduled me to work knowing I was 4 hrs away watching my mother die.....anyway that was just the beginning. We had planned to go get married a month later and had made it no secret in the company.it was my fiancé.s vacation time and we requested it 3 months in advance. She said she was hiring a relief person a few weeks before we were scheduled off ,I had never expected to be promoted since my hrs put us right on budget and I was satisfied in my position. The Dm told us she hired 2 people ..ok will be 3 parts.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Part3
When we asked the DM. How she could afford payroll for all 3 of us..including me ,she said one won,t work out....that was the sign of the changes ,total he'll coming....we trained 2. New people over the next few weeks,that had no idea what they were doing,and totally got lied to in their interviews....they had no idea what she was using them for....she started a hostile environment for all of us by encouraging backstabbing and lies in the team.. we did not get married, because the new girl could not run the property alone and we ended up staying.she called constantly and with J. Being the lead manager he was responsible.this circus went on for a few for months. I was slowly being cut back., had lost my school grants due to not being scheduled at the right times even after requests for certain days.the company slowly became like Oz you never heard anything from anyone and our company blogs had stopped. We were on our own.

it became public in e-mails!! The turn over rate was getting high..pm's and Dm,s were being let go for crazy reasons...not agreeing with the new policies that were killing the business. We were 45% higher than our competition in a rural poor community in Ms. Our properties in the north were lower in price! Vendors not paid and refusing to do business with us,late payouts. Lost payroll,and forcing insurance and locks to meet goals.overcharging customers by not adding their credits to charge more late fee's....pre sure to make numbers...carrying liens to up to six months.....all to sabotage the property. Anyway....in July of this year I suddenly was off the schedule and continued to be off up to august..with no income I filed for unemployment and got it....not much ,but every bit helps.....the day I got my first payment after calls or notice of any kind my D.m. Called the office and asked to speak to me.....I sent her a message to call or e-mail me since I was not in the office...she knew...

33 months ago

Not sure where part4 went but.,
Anyway she called me right when the office was closing and said she faxed me papers.I went over and got a B.S. Letter about how her decision was hard but as I could see they no longer needed me!! Due to full payroll and company cut backs..this is the same company that just spent $27million dollars in cash to buy 2 new properties!, she called me twice harassing me and pushing me to sign my release letter.I did and have never heard from her again...that was august 16th.it is November now and they just fired my fiancé last week..stating not making numbers compared to last yr..also he is on dr's leave awaiting surgery.! They fired him on his day off after they called him in to work and waited all day...he was sending his forms up the next day for fmla and they new it. He is very I'll due to the infection he got after the wreck last year...I know it sounds like I am using this to trash my former employer,but seriously this company is evil.they treat their employees and customers like dirt and if you ever need a job or storage please never go to smart stop self storage..the svp of operations that left public storage to start this company to be different tham p.s. Quit 2 weeks ago because he knows this company is unethical.my old dm also quit for being verbally abused and slandered. We are also having to move since we live onsite...they gave us a 3 day notice knowing we need to find another place and they are holding his final pay.when we asked for more time due to needing to find a place,pay for help moving,they threatened to charge us$100 a day and said they will not give us past the15th of November to move out.he gets paid on the 18th. Called a lawyer.I,m not about suing anyone,but this is different. Not wanting to live for free,but need to find a place to live.not a lot of places will rent to you after you just got fired.thanks for listening.I wanted to express how crooked and cruel these companies are.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.