What's the company culture at RR Donnelley?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at RR Donnelley?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at RR Donnelley?

Reply - Report abuse

prepress person in Vernon Hills, Illinois

84 months ago

SWEATSHOP is what comes to mind after my interview there, the <Edited by Host: personal attack removed> person interviewing me said they have a 6 day work week and everyone is expected to work saturdays and if you didn't like it, there's the door. So i asked, if i put my hours in during the week could i avoid working saturday?.....he told me i'd have to fill out a request form and have it approved by one of the supervisors, i consider myself a hard worker, but to go through that hassle just to have a saturday off is ridicules...i feel sorry for the people that have to work there as it didn't sound pleasant at all...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

workerbee in Concord, North Carolina

84 months ago

After RRD took over Litho Industries in Durham, NC, it became the worst place in the world to work. Brutal, heartless management team. Within six months of acquiring Litho, the Sales Manager, Business Development Manager, Bindery Manager, Quality Manager Prep Manager and several other all left for better jobs. About six months after I left they also lost their top salesman which led to sevral rounds of layoffs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bob M in Prospect, Connecticut

84 months ago

I agree with the above. I interviewed for the Job in Manchester Ct and the sales manager was the most <Edited by Host: personal attack removed> person I have ever interviewed with. This is a division acquired recently and the expectations are unbelievable! She wanted my entire list of printing prospects with names and amounts before they even made me a job offer. <Edited by Host: defamatory comment removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Blind in Green Bay, Wisconsin

82 months ago

RR Donnelley has taken over and our bonuses have stopped. Now they are changing the holiday schedule, not for the better. We have a HR rep. walking in on people in the bathroom. Prying open employees locked drawers (tools, personel effects) looking for contraband with a crow bar (Found Nothing). One Team leader wants to be an operator again! I guess he had enough BS. The company is handing out anti-union info. I guess we are waiting for the other shoe to drop. 6 days a week operation probabbly around 6-9 months a year. $18.75/hr to start as an operator, heck one day you are making doors for a living and POW you are an operator. There is a revolving door, new people in all of the time and people getting fired one by one. They hire ass clowns as a matter of course. One plant is "militant" (Green Bay) the other is totally relaxed (DePere). <Edited by Host: Inflammatory comment removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tgirl in Kansas City, Missouri

72 months ago

Assistant Pressman in Mattoon in Mattoon, Illinois said: I am a 20 year employee at Mattoon rrd. There are guy's bailing out that have 20-30 years in! <Edited by Host: personal information removed> is going to be the death of this company! He has closed down 2 other plants and this looks like he is trying for a trifecta!!! It is a true sweatshop and the moral is at an all time low! Management is bringing in the low lifes of the earth to work here and we all suffer! I know a guy that works in the bindry and had 3 guys working for him that had ankle braclets on!! We are working with felons and child molesters because thats all that will apply. They spend no money on the equipment so we are working on junk. There are no bonuses that are given because our bonuses depend on a hundred other factors and all though we may do good as a unit, there is alway's someone else failing! So that means no bonuses! Do yourself a favor and do NOT come to work here, you will be sorry as we all are!!!

Haha sounds exactly like the KC plant...I have worked with ankle bracelet felons and child molesters also...one of them actually got arrested and was on the news not too long ago. I'm sure our bonus is shot also because some idiot broke their arm on one of our perfect binders...sounds like it's the whole company that is wrong and not just our plant...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tgirl in Kansas City, Missouri

72 months ago

I agree with everything that is said here...this company has a lot of problems. We used to be Banta Publications and we were taken over by Donnelley last year...we were all hoping a bigger company would be better but no such luck. The management plays favorites like I've never seen...the benefits suck...HR reps want to send you to counseling (on your OWN time) for every little problem...they hire people that can't even count or read...the list goes on and on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

evertheinquirer in New York

72 months ago

Hello,

I'd like to ask r all sales people only commission based?
can i read employee satisfaction reviews anywhere (officila ones).. and why did you start working there, what did u like before that is desintegrating now. how for u personally don't they live up to their standards (missionetc)
is that resulting in lower performance and what do you think they should do to treat u better

hm...thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

looking for work... in Savage, Minnesota

70 months ago

Any feedback on the Chanhassen location?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JohnnyMac in Massachusetts

69 months ago

RR Donnelley is a TERRIBLE company to work for. I advise anyone even thinking about working for them to listen to what people have to say about them. I thought working for them would be a feather in my cap and I'm regretting it still. I don't understand how a company of this magnitude can take you on and then lay you off seven months later. You would think that they would be able to forecast the next year financially and take an employee's life and family into account. I sent a letter to the CEO shortly after my layoff describing the company and it's all around deplorable conditions. Corporate called me a few weeks later, prob because they feared a lawsuit, which I should have brought. I just heard that a company survey went out asking very specific questions. I'm sure they won't be too surprised to find that everyone is miserable. Here is the letter...enjoy. Attorneys are welcome.
You may read this or you may not, either way it is something that I feel I must do. I've had a fulfilling career within the printing/publishing industry since college. I've worked for such companies as Quad Graphics and done color and imaging work for some very well known publications. Throughout my professional life I have looked for positions that would be both challenging and rewarding. I put forth my best effort in everything I do, sometimes the reward may be a feather in your cap and other times it may be just knowing that you've done the best that you can do. I am a team player on all counts. I will share all information and or techniques with coworkers in order to put forth a product we can all be proud of as a whole. Criticism is also welcomed as everything can always be refined and strengthened. These are qualities that I think should be stressed in every work environment. This not only promotes a superior product but also a cohesiveness amongst coworkers who will take pride and enjoyment in what they are doing.
(Continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I didn't need a job when applying to RR Donnelley. I was doing some great work for a great company but it was small with no opportunity for growth. I came across a job description that matched my skill set perfectly. After having worked for Quad, I looked forward to the rewards of working for a large company as well as opportunity for growth. "There will be opportunity for growth based upon performance in the future. WE Andrews is a loyal employer with loyal employees. There are many employees who have been here over 10 years and have developed secure and fulfilling careers. I hope you will reconsider our offer and join us here at WE Andrews." -prepress manager. Sounded great.
When you met me, I voiced my concern about not having a machine that is basically an industry standard. I was given a glorifed email machine that took twice as long to do my work in comparison to my coworkers. That was just the tip of the iceberg and since (owner) was behind you there was little reason for me to say anything else. I was never afforded the programs necessary to do my job. My manager failed me and in turn I feel that Donnelley has failed me and my family. A person who is a manager should have a certain level of ability to communicate and go to bat for his or her employees. I have never worked for a more incompetent manager who will avoid confrontation at all costs. I just don't understand it. This plant works in a vacuum. I worked in a filthy 10x20 room where my two coworkers didn't say a word all day. Do other sites communicate amongst themselves? There are no standard operating procedures in place for the color department and if there are they are not shared. During the slow periods I worked in other departments and witnessed the same journeyman attitude. Three months after starting there I was spending time in the bindery. There is no team. There is no cohesiveness. There is no pride.
(Continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

It is full of people doing the bare minimum just to get through the day. They have one eye on their work and the other on the clock. I'm not saying this about everyone. There are definitely some great people there who do take pride in what they do, regardless of the thankless environment.
I quit my job to work for RR Donnelley and was laid off with six other people on 9/3. Seven months to the day I signed on for a "great opportunity" I was shown the door with a box and two weeks severance. If RR Donnelley is made up of WE Andrew's type plants I'm glad I am gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WILLARD GHOST in ANYWHERE, Ohio

68 months ago

1-OFFICE ENVIRONMENT-CUT THROAT
2-DRESS CODE-ORANGE JUMPER,HAND CUFFS AND OH YEAH STEEL TOE SHOES A REQUIREMENT
DO FOLKS GET TOGETHER YOU ASK- YEAH SALARY ALWAYS GET TOGETHER TO SCREW WITH HOURLY PEOPLE,AND NEVER FOR THE BETTER.
3-A TYPICAL DAY AND LIFE AT DONNELLEYS-FIRST YOU feel like a mushroom kept in the dark and feed you BULL!!!! second-you cant do good enough anymore,if you meet goals you are accused of cheating,so goals are reset out of reach by people wo dont have a clue,who have never printed before,then you get wrote up then steps are takin to fire you.They need to remove the word BENEFITS from thier website because if you call paying $600-700 for horrible insurance a benefit,I have something to sell you because you must have more money than brains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in New York, New York

49 months ago

Very political environment, esp. any division that has a production area. Because they are a non-union printer, their Human Resources department supports management, regardless if they break rules and have their favorites that they pull into their "buddy list." Upper management and HR has allowed for a "kiss-butt" environment, so even if you are a good, dedicated employee, if you don't kiss the right butt, they will eventually make you feel degraded until you either quit or they do a "workforce reduction." It's sad because this company had a better work-ethic/environment until the mid 1990's, and since then, has gone downhill. Benefits are out: they have no paid sick time, and trying to get vacation out of this company requires you to step on plenty of shoes. Not worth the trouble. Take it from me - I gave these guys 15 years of my life, and was progressively treated horrible the last nine of those years!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

ghostwriter in Minneapolis, Minnesota

40 months ago

RR Donnelley is a the worst place I have ever worked. I chose to quit, with no job lined up, instead of stay in such an environment. People were constantly being laid off, and many that had been with the company for decades chose to leave after RRD took over.

At RR Donnelley you are an expendable commodity. You are there to produce at the lowest possible wage, keep your mouth shut, and become a mindless drone. They care about the bottom line and NOT their employees or the environment in which they work. They also don't care about their customers...only the money. They are constantly looking for ways to make more money and avoid providing better products or better customer service. The management I was under had was completely arrogant and the style of leadership was intimidation manipulation.

Concerns or issues of workers are ignored or never addressed...including safety issues. Communication is closely controlled by management and strategically dispersed. Workers are not included in any decision making, even if their input could or would greatly enhance the outcome of the project. There is no HR rep on site. There was no training provided on company systems that you are expected to know. Workers that voice conflicts with the company are strategically handled in that arrogant corporate way. The environment is one of "don't say anything or you might lose your job" Overall my co-workers were unhappy but felt there was nothing they could do. The work become boring because they don't care about improvements or ideas to products or service to customers.... only cost reduction.

My recommendation is avoid working here. I agree with many of the posts listed here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bruce W Sims in Round Lake, Illinois

40 months ago

I can't speak to how things may be now but in 1976 I was given a job at the Mattoon location. At the time I was 26, a Vietnam Vet of 2.5 years and adrift in a country that wanted little or nothing to do with me. The US was in a terrible Recession, then, and would go on to average a Recession a decade right up until now. The Road has been far from easy, and it has taken me almost 4 decades to put my life back together. But, not a day passes that I do not acknowledge the kindness and generousity of that HR person who extended employment to me when others did not. Though I do not have clear memories of my short time there two impressions have stayed with me over the years. The first is the degree of caring that was extended to me that was 180 degrees from what I experienced outside in the community. The other view is that I did not, or could not, make of this opportunity everything that I could have. Though I could not know this at the time, I have come to appreciate that my reclamation and recovery began with the sense of self-determination and development that was given to me during that employment, almost without my knowing it.

The question for this thread seems to be about what sort of culture can be found at RR Donnelly. I can only tell you what I found and how it effected me.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Kathrine Jones in Minnesota

36 months ago

looking for work... in Savage, Minnesota said: Any feedback on the Chanhassen location?

Since your question was several months ago, I hope you have found work somewhere other than RR Donnelley. The Chanhassen location was once owned by Banta Corporation, a great company started over 100 years ago by George Banta in Wisconsin. After RRD purchased Banta in 2007, they systemically destroyed all that was ever good about the company and its people. There is no other word to describe the work environment that RR Donnelley creates but “toxic”. I would advise anyone considering working there to find a job ANYWHERE but this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terrance Peters in Minneapolis, Minnesota

34 months ago

RR Donnelley is transitioning itself from a leader in the printing industry to a player in the digital information management industry. They bought up enough print assets around the world so that, if management can keep costs below profits, the developing parts of the corporation can use those profits to keep in business until their markets mature. This is a good thing for RR Donnelley and a smart move on the CEO's part.
The flip side of this is that year-over-year, as the entire print market shrinks, RR Donnelley print must shrink it's overhead. No real raises (after cuts to benefits are figured in) and no new employees. Think of it as a caterpillar with a store of fat in a cocoon; in the end you get a beautiful butterfly but all that fat just goes away.
Culture is a little cut-throat, but not as bad as other places I've worked. Some management could be more tactful but that's true of any place. Printing isn't really a young person's game any longer. If you are looking for a job that will be there in thirty years look into one of the newer Donnelley digital acquisitions like Nimblefish or LibreDigital. Forget print.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dis-Gruntled RRD Employee in Springfield, Ohio

34 months ago

I have never worked for a company that was this cut-throat , callus and disconnected from their production workforce. I work at the Willard plant and in the 5+ years that I've been employed there I have watched this company attempting to try to turn it's employees against each other. They have no incentives , all they have is threats, like "you know the economy is bad" , "at least you have a job" or this good encouragement slogan "If you quit , where would you go ?" They just had department talks and one of the facilitators at this plant talked of how much profit we made, of all the 30 million dollars we made in profit (just in this plant and after ALL the bills were paid) they paid out 12K in safety & production bonuses this is 0.04% of what they made off of our hard work. They do not want to promote anybody, all they do is get a lower pay scale employee to do the work with a small pay upgrade and at intermittent intervals, nobody ever get permanently promoted. They also keep trying to force feed us propaganda, everytime there is a Union scare they quickly hand out pamphlets with info on the connection of Unions to organized crime and the communist party. Everytime morale gets low (lower than it usually is) they roll out the facilitators and have the bark out about "How proud they are to work here at RR Donnelley", this gets back to the concept about how disconneted they are from the production floor. If you want a weekend off, it's like trying to pull teeth out of an alligator, even if it's during a slow & bad economy they find someway to make the production crews to work 7 days a week, even if means laying-off a large group of people in order to shrink the workforce. RR Donnelley is also the most family un-friendly employer I've ever worked for, they act as if your trying to destroy the company when you need time off for family matters. Do yourself a favour..don't work here !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Good luck-LOL in Anytown

27 months ago

I agree with the posts here. This place has gotten worst and worse over the years, and now they are really destroying the environment. They treat you like a slave and don't treat you with respect at all. It's a real joke. I have never worked for such a dictatorship in my life, or do I recommend anyone with self respect ever work there. It's probably great if you have a cushy job in an ivory tower somewhere, but if you are on the front lines in one of the manufacturing locations you are a liability from the start. If you can't produce gold eggs, and shoot them out your ass, you might as well not work there. One one more thing, a pack of chips has better leadership than the plant I work at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tool Man in Guelph, Ontario

23 months ago

They took over Moore Wallace a few years ago and seemed really good at first. Since the beginning of the recession a few years ago though, what a big change as far as a company to work for. I can truly identify with all of the comments before mine, though in fairness to RRD they did take over our plants in Canada and treat us pretty good up till then.
Now we have supervisors doing lead hand jobs, lead hands and press operators who don't know from one week to the next what they'll be doing, .... our human resources manager, well I can't think of one good thing to say about her and I do wonder how some of these people get moved up into those positions. She actually seemed much nicer when she was a Moore employee, but most people in our plant wouldn't trust her very far now. The company laid off some really good people when the recession hit (understandable) and while some would have liked to get back in and applied they were passed over for inexperience people who needed to be trained from scratch. In my opinion anyhow that's not good business, or management. Why not bring back those who already know the job and have proven to be very good employees in the past? Maybe in the long run they're better off anyhow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Mattoon, Illinois

22 months ago

evertheinquirer in New York said: Hello,

I'd like to ask r all sales people only commission based?
can i read employee satisfaction reviews anywhere (officila ones).. and why did you start working there, what did u like before that is desintegrating now. how for u personally don't they live up to their standards (missionetc)
is that resulting in lower performance and what do you think they should do to treat u better

hm...thank you

Well, for one thing OSHA would have a blast at the Mattoon Plant. There's very little ventilation and the employees work sometimes in well over 100 degree temperatures with air conditioning that barely works and only a few fans scattered about. They should lower the cost of insurance. The normal deductible for a family is $6,400 for one year. Most people don't need near that much medical care in a year to it worth the cost. They have plant supervisors and employees showing extreme favoritism in the fact that they stand around talking to women/men instead of working leaving the work to the ones they deem not worth their time. Some of the trainers/BEU's/supervisors/employees are extremely abusive and treat people very poorly. This is HORRIBLE place to work in so many ways that I can't even list them all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

borols07 in West Chester, Ohio

22 months ago

How is the plant in Ohio[west chester area]?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nic42 in Astoria, New York

22 months ago

Hey folks - I'm trying to get more detailed information on general grievances with R.R. Donnelley plants. If you'd like to give me a hand you can send me an e-mail: nicholaseaton42@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathrine Jones in Atlanta, Georgia

22 months ago

Hello Nick-
Why are you gathering detailed information? Are you planning to offer a course of action? Are you an Employment Attorney?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Kathrine Jones in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hello Nick-
Why are you gathering detailed information? Are you planning to offer a course of action? Are you an Employment Attorney?

Right now I'm just putting feelers out, but the short answer to your second question is a tentative yes. I'm not an attorney of any kind, though :P

Kathrine Jones in Atlanta, Georgia

22 months ago

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Norm in Detroit, Michigan

22 months ago

Hello,
Could any one get me some information about the Michigan Shops?
Anything would be helpful, email me at nstachulski@yahoo.com

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GREENER2005 in Indianapolis, Indiana

22 months ago

I JUST GOT HIRED IN TO EMPLOYMENT WITH RR DONNELLEY IM PRAYING IT ISN'T AS BAD AS YOU GUYS ARE DESCRIBING, IVE BEEN ON UNEMPLOYMENT FOR ONLY A MONTH BUT I NEED A NEW PLACE TO BECOME STABLE SO I HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR ME WISH ME LUCK THANKYOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Space Cadet in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Hired in September 2012. Since that time I have worked a combined 11 1/2 days!!! I was excited because I wanted to work. The 12 hour days honestly don't bother me. My first week of training I worked 44 Hours, but only paid for 41 1/2 (Lunch Breaks are 1/2 Hour long), which I understand.

First week of Training: 5 days
My first week I was out of training: 1 Day
Next Week: Nothing
Week: Nothing
Next Week: 1 Day
Next Week 2 1/2 Days
Next Week: 2 days.

I have worked elsewhere in the print industry and its a dying breed. Unfortunately this is one of the side effects of everything on the web. I understand this.

As far as the Company, where I work in Lancaster PA, I'd have to say the staff were decent. Enjoyable to work with. From what I have seen the company does strive to try to take care of people.

However my personal opinion: Don't work here. People are miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jdaniels in Iowa City, Iowa

20 months ago

I would love to just get your shifts. We are hurting for hours. Are people miserable from the work or how they are treated??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GREENER2005 in Indianapolis, Indiana

20 months ago

I QUIT IN LESS THEN TWO MONTHS PEOPLE ARE REALLY HARSH THERE AND THE PAY IS NOT WORTH THE AGONY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

We'reNotInKansasAnymore in Bayonne, New Jersey

17 months ago

The comments here are almost exclusively from the manufacturing side of Donnelley, people who work in their plants and if ever there was a great reason to unionize its Donnelley !!! I don't doubt that its as miserable as everyone here says it is. I work on the BPO side. As with Donnelley taking over plants, Donnelley also moved in on office services and is the dominant outsourcing provider for several major New York law firms. All I can say is, SHAME ON THE LAW FIRMS that sold their employees to what I can only imagine was THE lowest bidder!! All of the comment made by the people working in the plants is exactly true of their law firm document services sites as well ! or "document production" as they prefer to call it. There is nothing "service" oriented about it - not for the clients or the employees. Donnelley is clearly focused on one thing and one thing only and that is making money for itself - and toward that end, anything goes!
Management's company sponsored arrogance is outdone only by its hostility toward personnel. Dealing with deception and manipulation is a GOOD day - most of the time you're just plain BULLIED!! and there isn't anything even close to an ethical code of conduct or anyone to turn to for grievance resolution. At RRD the crazies are running the asylum! And these people are expert in the field of blaming the victim!
If you are looking for a legal word processing position steer clear of these people and any law firm that has even thought about inviting them in. RR Donnelley's company slogan for new hires may as well be "No promise will go unbroken" and for those who were in the wrong place at the wrong time when these people came marching in the back door of otherwise well regarded global law firms the "company culture" can be summed up in one phrase "Breaking Spirits Around the World" !!
I would like hear what others in similar environments have to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

We'reNotInKansasAnymore in Bayonne, New Jersey said: ...if ever there was a great reason to unionize its Donnelley !!!

I'm an organizer with the Communications Workers of America (CWA). We represent workers at R.R. Donnelley and are working diligently to fight injustice in the workplace. From the comments here, it appears clear to everyone that RRD is consistent in its assault on workers. If we stand together we can right these wrongs and bring dignity and respect into the workplace and challenge abuses of power.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Steve in New York, New York said: Very political environment, esp. any division that has a production area. Because they are a non-union printer, their Human Resources department supports management, regardless if they break rules and have their favorites that they pull into their "buddy list."

I've started a Facebook page for print industry workers where they can share information, give tips and advice, discuss issues, and get a better understanding of the changing industry.
www.facebook.com/PrintIndustryUpgrade

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HowardBealeMAH in Plainfield, Indiana

13 months ago

Donnelley once upon a time, was a family ran business and the Donnelley family cared about their employees and their families. That is sadly no longer the case. People were proud to say that their dad, grandfather, uncle, brother, cousin worked and retired from the company. That is sadly no longer true either. It is the most discriminating, abusive place to work. The company lies to the employees, it's a cut throat environment, they are underhanded and the benefits are terrible. If you want to call them benefits. Donnelley bought out Moore Wallace. Moore Wallace was outrageously in debt. Going down. When they bought MW out, Donnelleys froze the pensions! Interesting fact, the CEO that put MW in that financial nightmare, is now the CEO and president if RRD! RRD bailed MW out. So why does everything in print read, Moore Wallace & RRDonnelley? It, RRDonnelley a Moore Wallace Co? What?? It's gotten progressively worse in the last 10 years. Just when one didn't think it could get worse, they bought out Banta Corp in Manasha,WI. Banta had fullfillment sites, contracts. To ship books for Harper Collins Publishing. Donnelleys tried this "fullfillment" money maker once before, in Crawfordsville. Due to horrible management, they made no money and closed. So, with the purchasing of Banta, the inherited the fullfillment contract. They've now opened a fullfillment plant in Plainfield, IN. It is a disgrace to the RRD legacy and name! They work you 7 days a week, but give you paid holidays off so they don't have to pay you 2x. The work day usually consists of 10-12 hour shifts with little to no notice. One 15 minute break in the morning and one 20 minute lunch, no last break. There is no training procedure in place. Whatsoever! The pay is $9-9.50 an hour. One supervisor, Jason Budd, is the most discriminating person on the planet. He is horribly abusive to the workers. HR is aware and chooses to do nothing about it. People walk out and quit daily! A day shift coordinator Tammy, n

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Actually challenges employees working on the floor to fight her! She is total trash and has her whole family working there. Another coordinator, Pelisha, is black. She is the laziest person to ever enter the work force. She hates white people and discriminates against them. It's like signing up voluntarily to belong to an asylum. It's an embarrassment to RRD. Interesting note, you're suppose to be an RRD employee, your check says, Banta Corporation. They have workers standing around literally lost. There's no training, no supervision. Workers are using drugs in the parking lot. It will close in max 4 years. As soon as they full fill Bantas old contracts, they will close the doors. They heard in the temps like cattle, no training, pay peanuts, lie to the RRD employees trying to make a career there and will ride out the contract and close. The managers are a joke! The whole place is! Hopefully they will close sooner and remove the name off of the building. Don't work there or recommend it to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Very sad, sad thing to witness. The whole company has went to crap! The buy these little companies, then go in, and force feed the employees anti union propaganda. They are scared to death of the union. Because of the discriminatory practices and the supervisors behavior. Union is a dirty word to RRD. Some plants they have are union. Because they bought them from little struggling "mom and pop" operations. That were already union. A few of those little plants are still union and have heard they are the best ones to work at. The non sense doesn't go on as much. I will live to see RRD go under. It's a matter of time. You don't put a CEO in charge of a $13 billion dollar, 150 year old company that already ran one printing company into the ground!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

paulreese in Warrenville, Illinois

5 months ago

WILLARD GHOST in ANYWHERE, Ohio said: 1-OFFICE ENVIRONMENT-CUT THROAT
2-DRESS CODE-ORANGE JUMPER,HAND CUFFS AND OH YEAH STEEL TOE SHOES A REQUIREMENT
DO FOLKS GET TOGETHER YOU ASK- YEAH SALARY ALWAYS GET TOGETHER TO SCREW WITH HOURLY PEOPLE,AND NEVER FOR THE BETTER.
3-A TYPICAL DAY AND LIFE AT DONNELLEYS-FIRST YOU feel like a mushroom kept in the dark and feed you BULL!!!! second-you cant do good enough anymore,if you meet goals you are accused of cheating,so goals are reset out of reach by people wo dont have a clue,who have never printed before,then you get wrote up then steps are takin to fire you.They need to remove the word BENEFITS from thier website because if you call paying $600-700 for horrible insurance a benefit,I have something to sell you because you must have more money than brains.

I hear that you folks get free slushies and play golf in the hallways....sounds horrible...I barely have time to finish my crossword puzzle, let alone play GOLF!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Antonio Trammell in Indianapolis, Indiana

2 months ago

Management sucks and jason budd is a racist prick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oncelikedtoprint in Dubois, Indiana

1 month ago

Donnelley has a reputation for low pay. Poor leadership. Tend to treat minorities better for a dog and pony show to visitors. low budgets and now real maintenance leads to poor equipment and poor products. management has no control of employees due to internal advancement and weak supervisors. kiss asses can survive. suck cock to survive in a sweat shop of undertrained artist that want a 8 hour break and 40 hour checks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

3DModer in Allentown, Pennsylvania

13 days ago

In an effort to get back onto the actual topic, the best answer to this question is extremely dependent on a number of things. Is the position office, manufacturing, or warehouse? What location is the job. Is it a union plant? Each location has it's strengths and weaknesses, but there's usually a reoccurring pattern.
I'm sure the offices are nice. They're climate controlled, quiet, comfortable, and just about any position in them doesn't really require manual labor. Attire certainly isn't suit and tie, button down and tie at best. Manufacturing requires a decent amount of labor and lifting, and can get dirty at times, so whatever you're comfortable wearing really. Depending on what's produced there, it will most likely be climate controlled to protect the products. There ARE dress codes though, but mostly for little things. Mostly likely will require steel-toe shoes. The warehouse though is the roughest. Typically no climate control (so it WILL get ridiculously hot/cold and humid/dry), hefty amount of manual labor, and usually some really screwy hours.
Because of the type of work it does, work fluctuates a lot, so they have to have a good deal of temp workers; most often those with poor work ethic and that are disrespectful of the facilities.
If you're lucky they might throw an occasional food treat to the employees for some minor accomplishment every couple months. My plant at least does an annual picnic.

I feel though that the actual business practices and treatment of employees are significantly different than the type of 'culture' one might be looking for when asking this question. For that you're probably better off looking up reviews for the location in question, in which case, don't let yourself be fooled by extremely opinionated 5 or 1 star reviews. As far as actual operations though for anyone outside the offices, don't be surprised by nepotism, disorganization, poor equipment, and either ridiculous overtime or an absurd lack of work.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.