How to get a job at RadioShack.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Host

Do you work at RadioShack? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Ninety Six, South Carolina

111 months ago

Host said: Do you work at RadioShack? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
ask to speak w/store manager, This individual is responsible for hiring potential employees, so good impression on the store manager, dress for interview girls-conservative pants suit or dress, guys-dress pants and shirt w/tie. Trust me I used to be a RS store Manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Snarky!Karth in O Fallon, Missouri

111 months ago

<I>They pay less than minimum wage.</I>
Now this one is just flat out false (at least where I work at). $6.50/hour plus whatever the pay plan states.

<I>You work terrible hours and holidays.</I>
Except Thanksgiving and Christmas. The hours aren't that bad, though that is solely opinion.

<I>You have to come in at 6am for meetings on Saturday.</I>
Never had to since working there.

<I>They make you push cell phones so hard, the should change the name to Cell Phone Shack.</I>
Okay, this one I kind of agree with.

/works at RS and enjoys it, unless the customer knows not the cordless phone battery they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

D in Torrington, Connecticut

110 months ago

i make any where from 10 to 15 bucks an hour at radioshack and they do not have s***ty saturday meetings anymore it all depends on the volume of the store you work in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jessica in Clinton Township, Michigan

108 months ago

Tom in Dearborn, Michigan said: Why would you want to work there?
They pay less than minimum wage. You work terrible hours and holidays. You have to come in at 6am for meetings on Saturday.
They make you push cell phones so hard, the should change the name to Cell Phone Shack.

def dont i work there and we get 7 plus commision and we never have meetings so NOT TRUE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania

107 months ago

jessica in Clinton Township, Michigan said: def dont i work there and we get 7 plus commision and we never have meetings so NOT TRUE!

I left as a store manager because they told me that I had to cut all of my Full-timers down to part time so we didnt have to pay vacation and benefits to them... then they told me I was on mandatory 64hr weeks. With the distance I drove and my salary, it worked out to $2.81/hr...

Radio Shack is run by retards that are trying to line their own pockets. From Julian day down to Michalel castelli and the asswipe Dana Smith (Philly/DC region), they only care about squeezing numbers out of a non-synergized system. they refuse to do the work that is necessary to actually FIX the problems (thats why they canned Claire Babrowski, she was doing just that).

Retards, to a man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Just Give Me a Job! in Naperville, Illinois

107 months ago

Tom in Dearborn, Michigan said: Why would you want to work there?
They pay less than minimum wage. You work terrible hours and holidays. You have to come in at 6am for meetings on Saturday.
They make you push cell phones so hard, the should change the name to Cell Phone Shack.

LOL cell phone shack. i think it works!!!

while i'm taking your comments with a grain of salt (ok maybe a truckload of salt) you did give great insight on what products they are profiting from/pushing. there are horror stories for every company, and you have to hope they are local.

remember, in the job market, you've got to identify what situations are not going to be advantageous to you. Seriously, if McDonalds pays better, i'd go there. i've got college loans to pay off for the next 15 years- demand what you're worth or keep your mouth shut, chin up, and move on.

ROUND OF APPLAUSE to the person who quit b/c they were told to screw over all their employees... life would have been hell after that anyway. how can you be a successful, ethical manager when you are pressured to do the unthinkable? close my store and relocate my employees and I if possible - or give us the honesty of being laid off. But push the employees to part-time? that's a huge unethical red flag if i ever saw one.

Retail is rough. I'm trying to stay government/insurance etc. industries to avoid the pressure and instability of retail. i'm 23 and just starting out (BA in hands)... think this is a wise approach? my (older) boyfriend is one of the most successful district managers of blockbuster- period. i grew up hating sales, but i know i'd rock in management, and supposedly i'd have good support. bah i am just lost in this job-seeking process- anyone have a thread, just a thread of advice... or even hope

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lynette Denault in Willowbrook, Illinois

107 months ago

Host said: Do you work at RadioShack? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes I would like to work here,I found this job on the internet,I havent gotten an intervview yet but I would like to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

leslie in Willowbrook, Illinois

107 months ago

would you like to work here?how did you find this job?when was your interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lesah422 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin

107 months ago

I applied and interviewed twice for a asst manager position.. they were only going to pay me $8.75 an hour, plus lame commission.. Im glad I didnt get that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Stillwater, Pennsylvania

106 months ago

Youre lucky they offered $8.75! I was an ASM driving 44 miles one way for $7.75!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

That's nuts.. As much as I hated working for Wal-Mart, I was making $32 grand a year.. No wonder they are always looking for management. I can't imagine anyone taking on that much responsibility for such small wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Stillwater, Pennsylvania

106 months ago

Its not the responsibility that is bad, its the expected results of a bad system that has ZERO synergy. The Operating Prcedures are LITERALLY CONTRADICTIVE, and if you were to point that out, you were called a non-team-player.

Radio Shack is run by retards of the highest calibre. I wouldnt work for them again if they trippled my salary.

They dont want intelligent managers, they want autistic monkeys that "only push the button when told to push the button."

Julian Day
Michael Castelli
Dana Smith
Karl Stettner

Retards to a man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AEJ in South Hadley, Massachusetts

106 months ago

I am going in for an interview tomorrow, regardless of whether it's a good job, at least it will be sales experience to put down on my resume. Any suggestions as to things to say in the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

You do realize that it is a commission job. They are looking for individuals who can push their products on customer's... Yes it is sales experience, but if hired I would keep looking.. unless you are fantastic in the commission field you won't make much money, and there base is low..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jamisky in Federal Way, Washington

106 months ago

You will be asked normal questions for any interview. Be open, friendly and answer questions with some thought. Look up the company's history to know about the many changes and to know something about the company itself. This is just common (and maybe not so common these days) sense to be able to answer or speak intelligently about the company you are interviewing with - any company, not just RS.

If you are a student make sure they know. If you have appointments that are coming up close to a hire date let them know that up front also.

Be yourself. Take a shower. Brush your hair and your teeth. Show up in "business casual" clothing, nice slacks, collared shirt (no print/white/blue etc) - no jeans. Don't ever lie and don't try to say you know how to do something you haven't learned yet.

As a past manager of RS, I can tell you that most (certainly not all) RS managers are human just like you - don't be intimidated by them and don't try to "outdo" them in any way. Everyone has an ego, don't step on anyone elses in your quest to climb up the ladder. Do more than you are asked and keep track of what you do - not for your present employer but for your resume later - you won't remember it all "later" when you are trying to figure out what it was you did besides "sell" products and you WILL do more than sell.

On top of all of that, please remember that inventory is done every few months which is a MANDATORY workday for you - unless you are a manager and then there are those who find ways to get out of the work. Also, just a necessary warning - you WILL be pressured to "add on" to your sales AND most of all to push CELL phones to death.

If you're still willing to do all of that. You should do well. As has been said, it's commission which means pressure.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Pittston, Pennsylvania

106 months ago

They look for STAR's.

Situation/Task- you were in.
Action - that you took
Reaction - of your action to the situation.

Specific names, places, times, dates are what they look for to determine truth. Dont say "Well this one time this dude came in and he needed this thing..."

What they want to hear is
"Two weeks ago on the 15th Michael James came into my store looking for a new cell phone so I asked him questions pertaining to how he was going to use it, then I presented the best plan and accessories for his needs. He was so pleased that he purchased a car charger, leather case, bluetooth and the 3 year service plan."

Its great on a resume if you get the management training, but there is ALOT to learn and they literally CRUSH it into you and expect 100% retention... If you can make it to the end and still be there, you will have a very respected resume because almost all retail chains recognize RS's management training as one of the best in the country.

It's a shame that they dont allow you to use any of the knowledge that they beat into you tho...

Idiots

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Don't for one minute think that just because you pass the "STARS" training (which I did) that you will find another job after you leave the Shack.

Painting such a rosy picture about their training and follow-on opportunities is just not what anyone needs and it's certainly not the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Pittston, Pennsylvania

106 months ago

Apparently you werent savvy enough to keep copies of your P&L every month so you can prove your month-over-month improvement as well as your ranking within your district.

I kept mine, and trust me, the number that I produced made finding a new job, with twice the pay/less hours VERY EASY to find.

See Jamisky, you just have to be GOOD at what you do and have PROOF that you have done it.

If you were a washout and couldnt perform, I dont expect you to benefit from what I said in an earlier post.

And from the sound of your post, you were a bottom tier manager.

Its all about proven patterns of behavior.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Batesville, Arkansas

106 months ago

I interviewed with a district manager and a recruiter for a trainee position paying a whopping $7 plus commission. The district manager assured me that he would call me whether I got the job or not, PROMISE. Never received a call a month later and honestly am glad I didn't get the job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

I hope your job efforts are rewarded for being smart enough to know a scam when you see one.

No one should be subjected to the kind of abuse that RS deals out to its employees.

As a past SUCCESSFUL manager, I was fair to my employees. I had three in college - all great employees who would do anything for me and I for them. The rest of the scumbags who worked at my store showed up when they felt like it, did little work when they did and then played "cell phone king" to make their commission while everyone else took care of customers who came in regularly.

It will be a good day in retail when that store goes under permanently.

Cheers, kiddo, you're one less person that RS messed with and God Bless you to find the right job as soon as possible if you haven't already.

I am 50 and going to college - not "back" to college, I was an army military spouse for 33 years never had the chance to go until now... trust me, it's NEVER too late to go back or start college and see what the real world is like. College - career - real vacations - real workplace - really nice people for the most part - you can do it!

Anonymous in Batesville, Arkansas said: I interviewed with a district manager and a recruiter for a trainee position paying a whopping $7 plus commission. The district manager assured me that he would call me whether I got the job or not, PROMISE. Never received a call a month later and honestly am glad I didn't get the job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Batesville, Arkansas

106 months ago

jamisky in Federal Way, Washington said: I hope your job efforts are rewarded for being smart enough to know a scam when you see one.

No one should be subjected to the kind of abuse that RS deals out to its employees.

As a past SUCCESSFUL manager, I was fair to my employees. I had three in college - all great employees who would do anything for me and I for them. The rest of the scumbags who worked at my store showed up when they felt like it, did little work when they did and then played "cell phone king" to make their commission while everyone else took care of customers who came in regularly.

It will be a good day in retail when that store goes under permanently.

Cheers, kiddo, you're one less person that RS messed with and God Bless you to find the right job as soon as possible if you haven't already.

I am 50 and going to college - not "back" to college, I was an army military spouse for 33 years never had the chance to go until now... trust me, it's NEVER too late to go back or start college and see what the real world is like. College - career - real vacations - real workplace - really nice people for the most part - you can do it!

Thanks much for the advice and good luck to you and God Bless!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Anon in Batesville, Arkansas said: Thanks much for the advice and good luck to you and God Bless!!!

Old words, but new meaning to every person who will encounter them along the highway of life... "It's never too late to start." and "Anything worth doing is worth doing well."

They're not just words, they are a lifestyle, a roadmap, a plan to furthering your own future in a positive way.

Generation after generation of people in many places in the US are 3rd and 4th welfare/social security "recipients". They will not do anything for themselves, they want the hand-out, and nothing will convince them that the lifestyle is bad or less than desirable. That's not to say there are real disabled persons who are on welfare or social security - there are - I know many.

I can't "give" someone hope unless they are ready for it. No one can motivate another unless they are ready to move. When one is ready to become a different person, a different creature, that's when great things can become reality.

My head and heart are motivated. Don't ever let the nay-sayers fog up your vision - you can be whatever it is you are able to do and to make that happen it's IS up to you.

Me, I am trying like heck to get into IT from a different angle. After over a decade of computer technician experience, A+ cerfication and MCP certifications, I still can not find a job in my desired field, so back to school I go and then ADD my experience to the education and see if someone bites :)

Cheers! You can do it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ThatGuy in Atlanta, Georgia

105 months ago

Hmmm....I am just about to go on an interview for RadioShack. I practically already have the job. I basically told the manager "So when do I come in and get the paperwork over so I can get started." "He said come in Saturday and we'll get you going." Now, What to expect? I have been reading these posts, and I am having mixed feelings. Is it really that corrupt and bad there? I ran into one manager at a store and he seemed to like his job. He said they changed a lot of things for the better. --He's been with the company for 8 years.

I told him I wanted to work in his store and gave him a brief history on my accomplishments, and he all but guaranteed that I'd get hired at a particular store If I applied there. That's the store I am going to tomorrow. I am Very good at sales, but I am a little concerned about what I am hearing on these boards.

How does the commission scale work there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SHARON R BRYANT in Alexandria, Virginia

103 months ago

WALK INTO MY NEIGHBORHOOD STORE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

christy0821 in Duluth, Georgia

103 months ago

I could not agree with you more. The Radio Shack Team or should I say Sharks moved to Prime Communications. I agree with every negative comment on this board. They are not about the employees and having a good reputation, helping the customer or contributing to the neighboorhood. All policies are made hap hazzardly on the spot. I would love to speak with Chis please contact me back at this site.

Chris in Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania said: I left as a store manager because they told me that I had to cut all of my Full-timers down to part time so we didnt have to pay vacation and benefits to them... then they told me I was on mandatory 64hr weeks. With the distance I drove and my salary, it worked out to $2.81/hr...

Radio Shack is run by retards that are trying to line their own pockets. From Julian day down to Michalel castelli and the asswipe Dana Smith (Philly/DC region), they only care about squeezing numbers out of a non-synergized system. they refuse to do the work that is necessary to actually FIX the problems (thats why they canned Claire Babrowski, she was doing just that).

Retards, to a man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

myet in Brooklyn, New York

99 months ago

I went on an interview with radio shack and i would like to know how much do they pay an hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

That Purchasing Guy in Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere, Georgia

97 months ago

I was offered $7.50 an hour as a manager in training, you are required to work 48-54 hrs per week. That's $32,000 a year less than I'm making now. NO THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mm645

88 months ago

The two people that I know of in the Magager in training program have other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

mm645

88 months ago

WHY would you want to work for such a SH#T company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gbreakosilenced in Newark, New Jersey

84 months ago

Hey, just wanted to know how your job search went. I work at Radio shack in Newark, NJ and honestly, it's not that bad.
First, you have to think about whether your into sales or not.
Second, think about yourself and how well you interact with others. Radio Shack is ALL about good customer service.
Third, think about making yourself some decent money. Radio Shack beginners might not make too much money but if your willing to ride it out, their job opportunities are very easy to come across once your in.
Forth, you need to know your stuff. When i first started working there I already had some knowledge of what i was selling. We just recently hired this new girl at my store and she doesn't know much about anything in regards to electronics and wireless sales. My manager burns her because she is not willing to learn and be teachable. I'm just saying that I would to be on her side of the fence.
Last, think about your time. In pretty much any job your ever will apply for, your going to be asked for much of your time. If you make yourself available then your gonna be first on the promotion end but only if your productive while your there.
Hopefully my comment was able to help. If your interested, I don't know what they pay in your area but PT get 7.15$ per hour, FT get 7.65$ per, MIT get 9.20$ per hour, and I'm not sure what my manager makes. Keep in mind that is only your base pay but if you sell your butt off, you have the chance to make A LOT more. Good LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snow_fox in New Orleans, Louisiana

81 months ago

I recently got hired on at radioshack.. I'm about to start sometime soon. While I will heed the advice of all posters and warnings that have been given.. I've been laid off now for too long and fall semester is literally days away.. so my girlfriend is dropping down to part time at her job and we can't pay the bills unless I get a job. (Sucks I lost my job at the beginning of summer and couldn't find work till now).

I for my sake am hoping my experience turns out a little bit better than what I've been reading. I will be starting part time very soon. I have never worked a sales based job before.. So I am hoping that maybe this will give me some experience in the sales world.

As much as everyone complains about sales for being "high pressure" a lot of people leave out just *how* much money you can make in the world of commissioned jobs... Which.. pressure or not I need money..

Also this may or may not affect my luck but, I live in a college town.. its small even for a college town but, it is a college town none the less.. and a few of the placest around here are the highest volume in the region. I am hoping that the radioshack will be high enough volume that it will be easy to make a decent commission and maybe at least keep some of the pressure off from management.

While I am not gunna judge a book by its cover the manager seems nice enough and claims that the college students he gets usually stick with him till they are out of college. So.. I am not biting into it completely.. but, I am at least hopeful that my experience will go well.

The one thing I have to COMPLETELY agree with the manager I spoke to on is that in a sales based job.. if you are getting minimum wage as base pay.. and minimum wage is all your making.. then you probably won't last at the job anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ihsanthompson in Sharon Hill, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

Hmmm...

I just started at this company a week ago.
I accepted the position after an interview in which I was told that I would be fast tracked for a management position, thinking that the compensation would be comparable tot he job I lost in May 2009.

After a week on the job, I'd been given the duty of opening the store!
Given a set of keys and scheduled to work with one other part time employee who'd only been with the company for close to 2 months.

Between the two of us, we basically had to GUESS proper store operating procedure in order to keep customers satisfied.

We were left alone in the store until 6:30 because the DM had all store managers in a meeting at the district office from 9a until 6p.

(...cont'd)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

There are other factors in the operation of this retail chain that do not sit well with me, but the most glaring one is the low, low base pay and the option that they give you to increase it: Spiffs on the sale of eligible products.

I believe that it is a predatory practice and deceptive to the consumer and the employee.

• Deceptive to the consumer, as we're required to sell products that we have little to NO experience with the actual function of.

In my prior retail experience, we had functional merchandise displays for the most part and were required to learn about what we sold.

Here, we are simply encouraged to sell based on what the sale sign or packaging tells us.

• Deceptive to the employee, as we're constantly psyching ourselves up to create large sales, and constantly let down when all the customers wants is a cordless phone battery or to add minutes to their prepaid cellphone service.

We're told of the potential to earn good money, when that clearly is not the case.
It is a crap shoot with each customer, with your odds of winning decreasing as the recession drags on.

(...cont'd)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Lastly, if a store underperforms, corporate seems to require payroll hours to be cut to compensate.

This is in no way a new practice... but given the meager earnings RS employees make from jump, how is this even seen as beneficial to the morale of your staff?

As I stated earlier, I started last Wednesday and I am already ready to resign on Friday after I work my 3 hour shift.

RadioShack has a lot of changes to make if they wish to remain in business.
Scrambling to push cell phones is almost pointless when you have T-Mobile, Sprint and At&T with THEIR OWN outlets serving most major metros, live units for customers and knowledgeable associates.

I suggest they regroup and rethink their strategy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

One month later, and I have left "The Shack".

Word came down from corporate that basically any transactions on key merchandise (cameras, phones, GPS, etc.) that do NOT have at least 2 accessories tacked on it were NOT eligible for a spiff of any kind, and the commission defaulted to the store manager. Even if the customer politely declined.

That new rule, plus the fact that our unpaid half-hour lunch breaks had become unpaid hour lunch breaks led me to quit.

RadioShack seems determined to keep money out of the employees pockets unless they are forcing customers to buy things they don't want or cannot afford. Not cool at all, man.

(CONT'D)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I have no issue with my former co-workers, but the company itself seems like it has no focus.

They will not ever become THE go-to place for cellphones, when the service providers have kiosks and stores peppering nearly every retail hub in most major metros.

Best Buy, Sears, Target, WalMart have a much larger and higher quality selection of TVs, stereos, iPods, etc...
RadioShack cannot win there.

I can't see them lasting beyond 2015.

They'd be better off purchased by WalMart or Target and just branding the RadioShack name inside as the tech department of those stores.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

lighthouser in blacksburg, Virginia

73 months ago

That's funny, when I started at RS I learned that I was working for a store manager that is certified mental, literally! They had hired me and another guy and we were the only employees this guy had, and the crazy store manager was put in the mental hospital and constantly talked about killing himself. Me and the other guy had to work by ourselves most of the time and we had a part time girl from another store (who is useless for the most part) "help" us. We had to learn as we went and had to work a lot of overtime (and the only time to make good money is working overtime, and that they won't let you do anymore since they are going under). I regret not quitting long before I did because I truly believed it aged me with all the stress!

Ihsan Thompson in Sharon Hill, Pennsylvania said: Hmmm...

I just started at this company a week ago.
I accepted the position after an interview in which I was told that I would be fast tracked for a management position, thinking that the compensation would be comparable tot he job I lost in May 2009.

After a week on the job, I'd been given the duty of opening the store!
Given a set of keys and scheduled to work with one other part time employee who'd only been with the company for close to 2 months.

Between the two of us, we basically had to GUESS proper store operating procedure in order to keep customers satisfied.

We were left alone in the store until 6:30 because the DM had all store managers in a meeting at the district office from 9a until 6p.

(...cont'd)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jcm13 in Victorville, California

69 months ago

Snarky!Karth in O Fallon, Missouri said: <I>They pay less than minimum wage.</I>
Now this one is just flat out false (at least where I work at). $6.50/hour plus whatever the pay plan states.

<I>You work terrible hours and holidays.</I>
Except Thanksgiving and Christmas. The hours aren't that bad, though that is solely opinion.

<I>You have to come in at 6am for meetings on Saturday.</I>
Never had to since working there.

<I>They make you push cell phones so hard, the should change the name to Cell Phone Shack.</I>
Okay, this one I kind of agree with.

/works at RS and enjoys it, unless the customer knows not the cordless phone battery they need.[/QUOT
oh come on ! 6.50/hr is something to brag about ?-- min wage in cali is $8.0

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Douglas in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

Worst company I've ever worked for. I was hired as a store manager about 6 months ago. I was told my base salary would be 42k with spiff and bonus potential. When i received my first check, it stated my base was 27k. When I asked the district manager about it, he said that there must've been some miscommunication about that. Well, I wasn't happy, and I knew exactly what I was told, but it was never put in writing for me. At first I didn't think there was any malicious intent. Again, I knew what I was told so I figured the DM was just inept. Over the next several months I learned that this same district manager had done the same exact thing to several other store managers that were hired from the outside. I discovered that even managers hired only a few months before me were given the same 42k salary offer (verbally only) to find that their real base was in the mid 20k range. Truly unbelievable! I contacted their HR department, explained the situation and that got me nowhere. I spoke to a lawyer about possibly taking legal action so the other managers and I could get paid what we were told. With nothing in writing, it would have been near impossible to prove. I found 2 attorneys that were willing to take the case, as it's clearly a class action, but I would've had to have paid for their services which I couldn't afford.
Just a terrible company, understandably, the moral is low, the commission structure is ridiculous, the forcing of employees to sell service plans, and the bait and switch hiring techniques make this one place that I will never set foot in again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.