What's the company culture at Raymour & Flanigan?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Raymour & Flanigan?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Raymour & Flanigan?

Reply - Report abuse

blackberry in Syracuse, New York

73 months ago

As with any business, there is a corporate culture and there are the subcultures based on location, department, etc. From my own experience, the owners of Raymour's either don't know or don't care what is going on in parts of their organization, especially the IT department. One of the jokes about the company's IT strategy is "Installing yesterday's technology tomorrow". It is sad when politics stifles productivity and who you know is more important that what you know. The CIO is clueless about IT standard practices and methodologies and appears to be more concerned with self-preservation than doing what is good and right for the organization at large. It does not take long for anyone with any IT savvy to catch on that she may play the politics well and throw technical lingo around, but she's inept at managing an IT organization. Unfortunately, the IT department is her little kingdom and best you not forget it. As a result, her organization is crumbling around her. Leaving the department is referred to as having "escaped". It is no wonder so many good IT people have left and more are leaving soon. Including me. Not everyone in the IT department are lousy, some are really decent, hard-working and dedicated employees. I'll miss them - but am so glad I found another job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

ab20 in milltown, New Jersey

73 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Raymour & Flanigan?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Raymour & Flanigan?

I know many companies probably don't vary much on how well they treat their employees, but the owners of Raymour & Flanigan make it seem like they are doing you a favor by employing you. All they care about is how much money THEY make...I spent about 4 years there, and although I got a lot of experience, I could've gotten it anywhere else and received what I deserved for my hard work. To be told you are doing an "excellent" job, but not getting compensated for it..is horrible. I hope that I do not sound like I am complaining, but the pay is terrible, and they expect you to lie down and take it. They need to get down on the employee-level and see what it is like to live in the real world...to not be able to fly the personal jet everywhere at the drop of a hat. I would never recommend anyone to work there..you're better off making less money elsewhere...where there is a chance of being happy.
I can't speak for the corporate headquarters, as I worked in a retail store, however, I have made many friends there and that I wouldn't trade for anything. But from what I know about the company as a whole (even the higher ups) I don't think anyone is happy, and if anyone had an opportunity to work elsewhere, either they took it, or they are waiting for it to happen. Believe me when I say, out of the approximately few hundred employees I knew past and present, NO ONE was happy with the company, and I am not even exaggerating. Good luck if you consider this company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

FU R and F in Pennsylvania

21 months ago

What a joke Raymour and Flanigan is. I was a 15 year employee and was laid off in 2008. At the time I was told it was temporary and was promised I would be called back as soon as business picked up. Over four years later I have never been called back or had a call asking how I was doing.

In those four years, Raymour and Flanigan has opened many new stores and distribution centers. How did you staff all those positions? Certainly not with the people you laid off. Thanks a lot for the hard times I have had the past four years not being able to find full time work. While the Goldbergs are filling their pockets, mine are worn out and empty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.