Interviewed at Fullerton

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Firmware Engineer in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

Had a friend in the company. Passed my resume around. A manager from another group liked it.
Took forever to get the interview. HR was working out bugs in their website.
Finally got the interview. Thought it went well.
Never heard anything. My friend inquired. They told him they didn't want to hire me because I had been making "too much money" at my last job and I was currently unemployed. Felt I was a "flight risk" I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

BTW: the position was in Fullerton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Senior Software Engineer in Compton, California

86 months ago

I concur w/ that accessment. Coming from the commercial side of the business, I apply to Raytheon (Fullerton) and they told me that I made too much already. Want me to do a lateral move without any pay raise.

Seem like they have a salary scale system, and we (commercial) engineer will be consider overpay by them.

86 months ago

Which is ironic because historically Aerospace engineers have commanded higher salaries.

broccoli in Southampton, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

"They told him they didn't want to hire me because I had been making "too much money" at my last job and I was currently unemployed. Felt I was a "flight risk" I guess."

Holy Crap! I got the same answer [exact language you quoted] from them in Tucson. What is that supposed to mean?

Jake_EE in Ohio

83 months ago

I don't understand that. If the applicant knows and understands he/she will get less pay, why would the employer care?

So this effectively is like firing us for life, if the only jobs out there are lower paying, entry level, etc. The new college grad gets the job over the experienced vet. Wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

broccoli in Southampton, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

In my case, the amount that the job paid was not disclosed, nor the payband/level. So I did not actually know that I was applying for a lower paying job. It was implied that there were multiple positions open, so they would fit people in appropriately.

But you are right, it is like firing us for life; and, unless its an executive type position, the new college grads do get them at lower pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ddd M in Gilbert, Arizona

83 months ago

IF YOU WERE GOING TO DO YOUR RAYETHEON INTERVIEW OVER AGAIN, WOULD YOU HAVE ASKED THEM DIRECTLY FOR THE PAY RANGE?

I WILL BE TALKING TO THEM IN TUCSON THE END OF NOVEMBER AND DO NOT WANT TO WAIST THEIR OR MY TIME. I DO NOT LIKE MY CURRENT JOB, THE PAY IS $15K LESS THAN WHAT I WAS MAKING 2 YEARS AGO, SO HAVE BEEN LOOKING (FLIGHT RISK) SINCE I STARTED WITH THEM. "I WILL GO TO THE HIGEST BIDDER, WHAT A JOKE".. THE COMPANY I AM WORKING FOR HAS 60% OF THE ENGINEERS WITH H1B VISAS (THEY ARE TREATED LIKE SLAVES, AND SO THE COMPANY TREAT EVERYONE LIKE,YOU KNOW..BEND OVER,,, TOO BAD FOR YOU)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mac in Vista, California

83 months ago

Ddd M in Gilbert, Arizona said: IF YOU WERE GOING TO DO YOUR RAYETHEON INTERVIEW OVER AGAIN, WOULD YOU HAVE ASKED THEM DIRECTLY FOR THE PAY RANGE?

I WILL BE TALKING TO THEM IN TUCSON THE END OF NOVEMBER AND DO NOT WANT TO WAIST THEIR OR MY TIME. I DO NOT LIKE MY CURRENT JOB, THE PAY IS $15K LESS THAN WHAT I WAS MAKING 2 YEARS AGO, SO HAVE BEEN LOOKING (FLIGHT RISK) SINCE I STARTED WITH THEM. "I WILL GO TO THE HIGEST BIDDER, WHAT A JOKE".. THE COMPANY I AM WORKING FOR HAS 60% OF THE ENGINEERS WITH H1B VISAS (THEY ARE TREATED LIKE SLAVES, AND SO THE COMPANY TREAT EVERYONE LIKE,YOU KNOW..BEND OVER,,, TOO BAD FOR YOU)

I see nothing wrong with asking what the pay range is for a position you are being considered for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thanks Mac, I will ask them if they have a fixed pay range for the position up front and save them and myself time.

They could evade the question, with "What kind of salary would you require to accept this position?"

Answer Guide: Candidates should have a healthy regard for their value, be able to sell their skills and experience to you, show an ability to negotiate, act diplomatically, and have the ability to redirect the question back to you without an answer.
(to not answer, the question response "I would not want to give you a minimum acceptance salary with out detailed info into the actual duties and work environment,,,,.)

Mac in San Diego, California

83 months ago

Ddd M in Gilbert, Arizona said: Thanks Mac, I will ask them if they have a fixed pay range for the position up front and save them and myself time.

They could evade the question, with "What kind of salary would you require to accept this position?"

Answer Guide: Candidates should have a healthy regard for their value, be able to sell their skills and experience to you, show an ability to negotiate, act diplomatically, and have the ability to redirect the question back to you without an answer.
(to not answer, the question response "I would not want to give you a minimum acceptance salary with out detailed info into the actual duties and work environment,,,,.)

Just say you wanted to get a feel for how senior the position is.

83 months ago

Excellent advice, short and to the point. Good way to cut out all the run around.

I will tell you how the process turns out. On Nov 29th it starts and ends on Friday the 30th. I was informed that they make a decision in less than 72 hrs.

I was asked by more than one person when could I start at the earliest, I told them that I would like to wait until Jan 2008 they seemed to want someone next week.

Mac in Vista, California

83 months ago

It's a good sign that they want you yesterday. That can be part of the salary negotiation. Be sure to find out what the urgency is. It could be a program in trouble or ramping up for the future.

82 months ago

Mac in Vista, California said: It's a good sign that they want you yesterday. That can be part of the salary negotiation. Be sure to find out what the urgency is. It could be a program in trouble or ramping up for the future.

Hi Mac, I have an offer coming (they responded in less than 72hrs). I did not get into pay or benefits. I was very impressed with how many people had 20+ years with the company. They were a good group of guys, and appear to have a real appreciation for keeping people happy at work. I think it would be a much better place to work than in semiconductors, I have served there since 1980, time to get out as the industry moves overseas..

82 months ago

Is the position in Fullerton?

82 months ago

It is not in Fullerton the position is in Tucson. The drawing point for the job will be the people and security. Pay,, well maybe a little negotiation will be needed.

Mac in Carlsbad, California

82 months ago

Be careful about negotiating too high. I once ended up in a position that was over my head. It can happen during a hiring frenzy when companies are desperate for bodies. Depending how senior you are, be realistic about what you are worth on the market.
When talent stays at one company for a long while, they can be priced out of the market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Thank you Mac,
"Re: negotiating too high" Your absolutely correct, I have been there. Over a period of 7 years of healthy raises I was too costly to keep, then the axe to the entire department (strange that they had to let go only the high earners on the same project, they restarted the project later and restaffed).
My negotiation, well that is an over statement, "I had wished for more money". That is all I said. I guess having a very rare skill set and someone in Raytheon pulling for me did the trick.
It is a fair deal for both parties (I have made more but the work environment to me is worth a great deal, enough money combined with good group of guys to work with and I am quite happy). I am fortunate that the bump they gave me just made it into the lower part of the next higher pay grade.

How much notice do you give? The last time I quit a company was in 1987.

82 months ago

2 weeks is standard.
Some companies boot you (with pay) as soon as you give notice. Be sure you have all your stuff packed before you give notice. Get personal stuff off of any company PCs, take person stuff home etc.

My rule of thumb is never burn any bridges. Assuming you were a valued employee, you will be missed and it's a pain for your boss to hire someone new. Don't make it worse by firing any parting shots. It's a small world and you never know.

82 months ago

Yes, indeed it is a small world, I would not want to get a rep. Any way, I want to leave everything neat and clean for the ones left behind.
I actually do not have any stuff at work to leave behind, I do not bring anything from home to the job (I want work to be a strong utilitarian work space, I never leave papers on my desk or any work spaces. Every thing is secure filed or on the computer, no notes. My work area looks as if no one works there. Having had tight security work environment for a few years does that to you, strict controlled environment, pink noise, no sun, cocoon. The P.C. has never visited any web sites other than strictly technical info ones, the area is as sterile as I can possible make it.

I just want a low key exit.

I like what I am doing and want to do it till I leave. I will leave doing a great kick ass job with all kinds of grand plans. Wow,, what a work load that guy took on, give me all you have got, Oh by the way I will have 10 working days left to do it….
(I have to admit it is probably passive aggressive.)

Mac in Carlsbad, California

82 months ago

I agree. I found it easier to leave if I have something to still keep me busy. Otherwise, the 2 week drag out.
I've been mostly in commercial. The line between home & work is very blurred. Often that is encouraged by management. They like the idea that you are "on tap" 24/7

82 months ago

Working at home can have some great benefits. (if you watch the hours you put in)

In the future this society may be considered to have been very unwise. The automobile upkeep, gas, insurance, death from accidents, the pollution, the time lost in transit, resources squandered that they need in the future.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.