Raytheon News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Raytheon stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Mblake in San Diego, California

93 months ago

I have submitted my resume several times, no response yet. But I am hopeful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Charm in Silver Spring, Maryland

93 months ago

Mblake in San Diego, California said: I have submitted my resume several times, no response yet. But I am hopeful

Yeah. I've done it over and over again and I have all they say they are looking for. I want to work for them directly and not go through some outside recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

qa in Littleton, Colorado

93 months ago

Mblake in San Diego, California said: I have submitted my resume several times, no response yet. But I am hopeful

I think they are mostly looking for people that have active security clearances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rocket science in Louisville, Colorado

93 months ago

They, like Lockheed, are some kind of black hole of resume submission. Don't expect your resume to see the light of day after you hit the "send" button.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

I gave up on them too!!! Black hole is a great definition for them and Raytheon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

comms, mass in Westborough, Massachusetts

93 months ago

Been there and interviewed with them. Wouldn't work there unless it was the last place around. People are VERY uptight! Face time was more important than doing the work efficiently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Face time, going through the motions milking the cow and the door continues to revolve. Goes to show you, there are a lot of companies that do not value their administrative staff. they probably want you to work for pennies. That;s the reason I interview as me always seeking a "fit" for me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Mckinney, Texas

92 months ago

You need to be pro-active. Go to job fairs--if there is one. Do you know anyone that works at Raytheon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

qa in Littleton, Colorado said: I think they are mostly looking for people that have active security clearances.

I'd say that is a good bet. These companies are heavy into aerospace and military contracts and these days it takes a few months before you can complete a security investigation due to backlog. Obviously, they can't let you read or touch anything or (in some cases) even walk into the lab without the clearance, so naturally they have applicants with active clearances at the top of the list.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding security clearances is that you can't get one on your own. The company you work for has to get one for you, so chances are slim they want to pay you to basically sit there while the clearance goes through - especially with a war going on the other side of the planet and plenty of applicants with active clearances and the latest military tech training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

t2 in Detroit, Michigan

91 months ago

submitted 2 resumes direct 4 different headhunters called about same job. something is up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JFG in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

I worked for Raytheon for two years and I loved it. It's a great place to work and the employees are generally hard-working and helpful to eachother. If my contract hadn't ended, I'd still be there. I regret taking another job for a higher salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JFG in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'd say that is a good bet. These companies are heavy into aerospace and military contracts and these days it takes a few months before you can complete a security investigation due to backlog. Obviously, they can't let you read or touch anything or (in some cases) even walk into the lab without the clearance, so naturally they have applicants with active clearances at the top of the list.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding security clearances is that you can't get one on your own. The company you work for has to get one for you, so chances are slim they want to pay you to basically sit there while the clearance goes through - especially with a war going on the other side of the planet and plenty of applicants with active clearances and the latest military tech training.

I agree, well said. If you're not prior military or have a clearance, it's hard to get in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Montgomery, Alabama

90 months ago

JB in Mckinney, Texas said: You need to be pro-active. Go to job fairs--if there is one. Do you know anyone that works at Raytheon?

I worked for Raytheon for 2 yrs in Iraq. They are better than most companies I have worked for. I have to say they treat their people pretty well. They are a large company, good bennies and vacation package. If you didnt get a response to your resume then maybe you need to put some better keywords in it. they are not interested in teaching someone to be functional. If you are not what they are looking for then you will not get a response. They also are not in the clearance business, I had a TS when I went to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scared to death in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

If you don't have at least a bachelors of science from a major university and you are gay or a minority forget it they don't want you. Same goes for their competitor Lockheed. Horrible people for work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Keison in Somewhere, Texas

88 months ago

My husband works for Raytheon and loves it. The work is challenging and utilizes every skill he possesses. They seem to value their employees, definitely much more than where I work. I always tell him I want to work at Raytheon. LOL He did mention that Security Clearance IS a major issue because they ARE looking for engineers, but that the majority of people that apply for positions don't have or can't get the clearance. Jobs that don't require the clearance are limited, mainly because they have a lot of goverment contracts. He has worked there for over 15 years and has received several promotions and raises. They do promote from within, but also hire outside the company. There is a committee focused on diversity, at least in his location. Many of their top management are women. He says it is not a cushy job where you do nothing all day, but is very stimulating, which is what he enjoys. The teams he has worked with in various departments have also seemed willing to help each other and do whatever it takes to get the job done, sometimes it might mean extra hours. He has a great manager that emphasizes a good work ethic and is always encouraging. Raytheon seems like it is a great place to work and it definitely values the experienced, older and diverse employee with a good attitude and great work ethic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Urchin Stevens in Salt Lake City, Utah

82 months ago

How long has he worked for them? I've been trying to get hired for the last 5 years and finally have an interview....does he remeber what types of questions they asked? any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

herschel in Salt Lake City, Utah

81 months ago

Urchin,

What kind of work do you do, Maybe I can help. As I am sure you are aware, there are several Salt Lake sites now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Urchin Stevens in Salt Lake City, Utah

81 months ago

Urchin Stevens in Salt Lake City, Utah said: How long has he worked for them? I've been trying to get hired for the last 5 years and finally have an interview....does he remeber what types of questions they asked? any advice?

hi - I do administrative/office/travel - with lots of experience. it's polar services I'm trying to get on with, though, to work at McMurdo. Do you work for them here?

no longer with UHG in Fort Worth, Texas

80 months ago

Scared to death in Dallas, Texas said: If you don't have at least a bachelors of science from a major university and you are gay or a minority forget it they don't want you. Same goes for their competitor Lockheed. Horrible people for work for.

Well, thats completely not true. They have special groups for employees to join so that they can meet other people in the company, whether it be bi, gay, transgender, a woman, minority.. or anything else. They welcome diversity.
I have been trying to get hired for 7 years. Finally got an interview and was offered the job DURING my interview. They admitted to me that they were holding out for an internal applicant but none had applied that were a good fit for the job. Its easier to transition an employee who knows the company than to start someone from scratch. Trust me, I have been here for a few weeks and I don't have much to do yet because I don't know what to do, have been waiting to get access to stuff, etc. But I have to say that the 7 years was worth the wait. I put in application after application and no response. But then I had a Executive VP from another company offer to help me with my resume and we completely changed it up. Then, I got supporting documentation (awards, reviews, etc) and added them to my resume bank on the raytheon website. I applied for the job in February, got an interview in April and was hired in June. I don't have a security clearance, I don't have a degree.. but I showcased my experience and they liked what they saw. The interview focused on my skills but mainly it focused on my ability to mesh well with the different personalities. I am a great fit for this department and they are so much FUN! I absolutely love it here. Everyone is so nice and so helpful. I have even had people from other departments (in other offices) find out I was here and call to offer support. They are extremely ethical too. I love this company and hope to be here for a very long time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rory O in Manhattan Beach, California

68 months ago

I like those who commented from San Diego-California & Silver Spring-Maryland found that there is a black hole for resume submission. I also found out that you have to really have a sponsor, it seems, who will push for you. There is a Dir of the family at Raytheon who just kind of pushed my resume out to others but he really has no reason to assist at his level.
Those sponsors too get a finders fee if you are hired. I have applied for around 8 positions in 3 months without a peep. Now I have a contact who is assisting in helping with acquiring an open position but I still believe it is a political issue if they are not familiar with the hiring contact.

68 months ago

Rory O in Manhattan Beach, California said: I like those who commented from San Diego-California & Silver Spring-Maryland found that there is a black hole for resume submission. I also found out that you have to really have a sponsor, it seems, who will push for you. There is a Dir of the family at Raytheon who just kind of pushed my resume out to others but he really has no reason to assist at his level.
Those sponsors too get a finders fee if you are hired. I have applied for around 8 positions in 3 months without a peep. Now I have a contact who is assisting in helping with acquiring an open position but I still believe it is a political issue if they are not familiar with the hiring contact.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Not all positions get a "finders fee". Positions like Engineers with Clearances do, but the majority of the positions don't. Some people will try to help you get hired because they love the company, not because they get paid to help you in. I personally have been there for about a year now and I submit referral resumes all the time to help friends get in the door. Not one job offered a finders fee... and I don't care. I hate it when people accuse companies of being racist and such because they didn't get the job. Some think that because thousands submitted resumes for the job, their resume STOOD OUT above all the others. Thats probably not true. It was probably just another standard formatted resume and cover letter. Not because they were black/white/gay/straight.. but because they didn't stand out and get the interview (THATS why they haven't been hired).
I submitted applications for 7 years before I got hired. If I had given up after 3 months, I wouldn't be employeed at the best job I've ever had. I don't have a degree, either. And after a year, I am already being considered for a very good promotion. Its hard to get in.. but very worth it (and it has nothing to do with politics). Make yourself stand ou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I have what I believe to be a very good resume created by a professional agency and reviewed by several recruiting agencies. My comment is in regards to poor business etiquette and nothing to do with "...Not because they were black/white/gay/straight...." I have no idea why you introduced this into the discussion.
The Internet is proliferated with voices such as mine and the others like those noted in the INDEED family of comments, which have experienced the lack of response following the submitting of a resume.

I personally reviewed all resumes coming to me when I was hiring and either mailed or emailed responses back. This is the character I project and expect for anyone who hires regardless. The technology today is to far advanced to not provide 2 expected communiqués back to the submitting person:

1. Thank for the receipt of your submitted resume
2. At this time you have not been selected as a candidate

If I can take the time & money to present myself (resume/ cover letter), then those who are responsible for receiving/reviewing better take the time & money to provide this feedback. It is courteous and expected as well as providing proper business etiquette.

Case in point, there is a website for Hospitals to promote job openings, "providence.org" I believe. They, out of all, have maintained this proper decorum. I frankly don't care if other HR and or recruiters have operated without concern for what is expected. Be a leader not a follower.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Oh by the way, Raytheon is a great company to work for based on history and their current 2009 rating by Computer World “Best Places to Work 2009” as my current sponsor would attest. I will keep applying at every opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

the 'diversity' comment was introduced because other people on this thread have said that you don't get hired unless you are gay or a minority.. which is completly not true. I'm white and straight.
I have a feeling that when you were a hiring manager, you weren't faced with the highest rate of unemployment and had thousands of resumes to review. With that said, the managers are not the ones that get the resume. THe recruiters are. There IS an email that goes out letting you know your resume was received and that if you match what they are looking for, then you will be contacted. With that said... for the job I have now, I applied in February, finally got a call in April, and was hired in June.
On another note... Raytheon is not your typical company. The business we are in is not like a hospital or lawfirm. They are busy 24/7. When someone leaves, its usually MONTHS before they are allowed to open a new req (so much red tape) and then they have to offer it internally first. By the time it gets to the public, there are 1/2 the people doing twice the work. So reading 1000 submitted resumes isn't practical to keep us on track. Thats what recruiters are for. Case in point.. our Chief Eng retired in December and they just started interviewing this week. When you join us, you join a world of clearances, per diem rates, charge numbers, etc.. that you never had to deal with at any other job. It was overwhelming, to say the least.. because I DID come from healthcare background.. and there was nothing similar between the two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thank you for your input but I stand firm on business protocol. Its obvious Raytheon is not the same as Hospitals or Law firms. The technology protocols, especially in government contract companies like Raytheon, Grummen etc, have the ability to assess specific keywords coming in electronically and therefore reject specific resumes. With that said, those same technical protocols could be used and should be used, to let the submitting person know where they fall short in the candidacy selection. You need not reply. This is an observation and my belief on how almost all industries fall short in this arena. To justify the reason they operate, only embraces this failing.

John Smith88 in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

I have lived in the Denver metro area for 7+ years. I have submitted my resume for years for the aurora campus, just a resume black hole!

Then, about 18 months ago I submitted it again and got a phone call and face-to-face interview within about 7-14 days. It was the first time submitting my resume to them with my Master's degree in Computer science (also B.S. in CS as well). I have 14+ years of experience as a SW engineer. I already had an active TS/SCI clearance from another company, which didn't seem to help get past the resume black hole. Maybe it was my M.S. degree + years of experience that got me in the door? Or perhaps it was just timing and sheer luck? (probably the latter).

What I have noticed in the last 18 months of working there is that 40-50% of the workforce there are A) Ethnic Minorities (black, asian, chinese, whatever), B) Women, or C) GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual Transgender), they even have an official GLBT raytheon site and club to join.

There is a double standard when it comes to work performance (and especially layoffs). It's VERY hard to lay off or fire anyone from A), B) OR C) category. But if you're a WHITE MALE, then it's A) HARDER to get in the door (even with a clearance), and B) EASIER to get LAID off when layoffs come around.

I just got laid off, they laid of 30 people, several of which were from the area I worked in, and all of them were WHITE MALES. Even though I personally know that the job performance of the other categories is "acceptable" or less, compared to their peers.

However, the majority of the people that work there are all very bright, and very hard working for the most part. Another reason it's hard to get in is because once you're in, you never leave because it's a pretty good company to work for. Great benefits and competitive total compensation. When someone retires or gets laid off it may create an opening later (if they win follow-on contracts down the road and have already laid off).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I have since realized from previous comments made that Raytheon is much like many other organization and the resume review process is one based on "keyword" entries used profusely in all HR coded supported program for resume interrogation.
Following the 15th version of my resume, which by the way is an "art" of how to communicate a 30 second elevator speech on objective and past performance, I realized I may have hit on several keywords as I have since began receiving email notifications that my resume profile match several open positions. With that said, I don't know what those keywords were that I added but the fact that I took the time to review and re-review my resume to remove extraneous information (i.e. Answered calls placed by customers...) may have resulted in the resume being recognized.
Too I have continued taking online courses to improve my skillset and knowledge levels so I am ready for 'other' opportunities. and what helped the most is attending available career workshops in my area. Most workshops are free as these are recruiters or transition consultants providing very informative job search and resume information.
We all will persevere.

Neil Wadopian in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Scared to death in Dallas, Texas said: If you don't have at least a bachelors of science from a major university and you are gay or a minority forget it they don't want you. Same goes for their competitor Lockheed. Horrible people for work for.

Thats absolutely NOT true and you know it. They have one of the most diverse staff in the industry. As far as a degree they probably prefer a candidate with a bachelors deree however they do hire technicians with a 2year Associates Degree or technical certification.

Neil Wadopian in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

I have read other comments and re-read the comment that I responded to and apologize for not understanding what was being said. The insinuation that white males are excluded and displaced in favor of minorities and people of alternative life styles I think is exadurated. If a company were to operate like this then there would be no white male employees left employed there. This would present a diversity hazard in that a significant portion of the population is being discriminated against in reference to their race and sex.

This would not be considered a policy of diversity but of "Reverse Discrimination".

Also keep in mind that Raytheon is a Government contractor and as a condition of doing business with the government they must maintain whatever diversity policy they currently have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AffordableParalegal in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Raytheon stack up against the competition?

I know Raytheon is laying off this week. Not sure of how many but certain sections are getting wiped out if they are not "profitable."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Odessa, Florida

25 months ago

JB in Mckinney, Texas said: You need to be pro-active. Go to job fairs--if there is one. Do you know anyone that works at Raytheon?

I work at Raytheon in Largo, Florida

25 months ago

I do know someone at Raytheon and it has been of little value approaching him. My daughter in laws father works at DIRECTV, just down the street. He has been there for 15+ years (pre directv_ and is a director. He says he doesn't want to get involved. I have about 12 recruiters I stay in contact with monthly as I update my resume. Since the search began I have completed about 32 different on-line courses ranging from Six Sigma (introduction course) to as simple as exel macros.

Believe me, Looking for a job is a full time job and any idle time is spent updating my skill/knowledge levels.

Thanks for the info thought. I appreciate it.

Josh H in Saint Paul, Minnesota

25 months ago

I am just a semester from completing a degree with a focus on Leadership and am looking to see about getting with this company. The long term plan is to get a position and employ my skill set to improve the organization and benefit it, then see if they will be willing to pay for my PhD in Physics, most likely particle physics. That would be ideal, I would love to get a research position with Raytheon, I have some unique ideas that, pending further research, could revolutionize the battlefield, with further applications in other fields. I will cross my fingers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.