No ethical explanation for their terrible customer service

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

. in Lombard, Illinois

79 months ago

I scheduled and interview at Robert Half. I was looking for an analyst position. Once they saw I had sales experience they railroaded me into applying for a sales position for their firm. It was a Friday and after some explanation and selling, I felt like it might be a good fit. I left with instructions to call on Monday, emphasis on before noon, to schedule a formal interview for the position. Around 8AM I called to schedule and got nothing but voice mail. I followed with an email thanking them and letting them know some good days for me. After no response I repeated the exercise on Wednesday. The receptionist informed me the hiring manager was not taking calls that day but I could speak to someone else who was taking calls. That person said they couldn't help, but would pass along the message. Today after a week of no contact I left a final polite message since, "They all just went into a meeting." So I walk in looking for an analyst position. They nearly beg me to apply for sales at their firm. Then they refuse all contact with transparent lies. There is no ethical explanation for this terrible customer service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former RHI guy in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

News Flash: You are not a "customer" and hence not entitled to any "service". RHI is an industry leader in terms of revenue and during my time there, I met and saw all kinds of people. Some ethical, others not.
Without knowing the specifics of your background or situation, I can only presume that they found, saw, or inferred something negative about you or your background. I agree that, as a person, you're entitled to more courtesy bust, sadly, that's a trait lacking in all walks of life. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

omni in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

To the person who applied for the analyst position:
I understand your frustration and disappointment in this situation. However, I just want to point out something I would like you to ponder. In my opinion (and you might agree or respectfully disagree) I wonder if this was just one of these "classic tests" that they gave you to see if you would be loyal in the long run to the position/department to which you originally applied for, or if you felt confident enough that you were the right person for this job. If you truly felt confident (with all your heart) that you were meant for the analyst position (that is to say that you knew your strengths, and positive qualities that determined that you were a great fit for the job), and you exuded these qualities, I'm sure that you would been hired. There would be no doubt on their part that you were indeed right for the job. HOWEVER, I strongly feel that during your conversation with them, during their persistence to convince you that you might do better in another position, one that may not have even been "technically open", you let them convince you otherwise, and you took the bait. I don't know this company very well, but it seems that this could have been their way to "filter" the people for this job. My best advice that I can kindly give to you is "stick to your original gut feeling" next time. If a position interests you, and you know that you would "without doubt" be right for the job, be determined to get it. Don't allow anyone to convince you that you would be right elsewhere. You know yourself. Personally, I do not like this "game playing" that people do. If this were to happen to me, I would take two things out of this situation: 1 I have learned from my mistake of "flip-flopping", and 2 This isn't the company I want to work for in the long run because their overall poor treatment of people will disappoint me. That's how I would look at it. I wish you well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Annie1004 in San Mateo, California

69 months ago

In all honesty, you're giving RHI too much credit in the brains department. These places are staffed with young, wet-behind-the-ears salespersons who haven't a clue what the client really needs unless every word is written down re job description, duties, and the like. As an employer, I liked RHI and its subsidiary companies; as a temp employee, they leave a lot to be desired. Rude treatment is pretty much the norm nowadays no matter where you go, so I can't honestly make an all-encompassing yay or nay statement as to RHI's performance.

Good luck to all of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

omni in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I think most of you missed my point, and that was if you are going for an interview, you know yourself enough to know where you would be a good fit. I was not giving credit to the RHI, but only pointing out that you should never let anyone especially during an interview to railroad you towards something else.
To the person who wrote "You are not a "customer" and hence not entitled to any "service". You don't have to be a customer to get courteous behavior from others. A good business leader has to be able to confront not avoid, in this case, letting the person know that either the position was filled, there was a miscommunication as to what positions were available or whatever. Now I know that some of you might say "well, that's not how business is done"or that isn't so and so's responsibility. Maybe not in black and white (written down somewhere).But the reality is there are some people in companies, who do take responsibility for their own actions and make an effort to be upfront about a matter, and not just hide behind whatever "the excuse of the day is".
It was stated that "Rude treatment is pretty much the norm nowadays no matter where you go..." With all due respect, rude treatment may seem the norm to you, however it is not appropriate, is immature and should never be acceptable behavior. The fact that it is acceptable as the norm by some.... well,I think that either 1. those people have a miserable attitude about themselves or life, or 2. they never came across being courteous themselves or 3. they never aspired to behave in a better, kinder manner, and don't care
to. I think that sooner or later more and more people will make a decision that they will not tolerate it, especially at their company.
General courtesy goes a long way. Anywhere. It doesn't take much to be polite,even if the end result is not a positive one. I have empathy for the person who wrote in the first place. The company treated him (or her) poorly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.