Recruiters are idiots

Comments (1 to 50 of 96)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Glenn in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

I am so glad I went to college to get a BS in IS and spend 10 years in the tech field just to be interviewed by a 20 something year old kid fresh out of the Military. This kid was just using key words and didn't even know what he is talking about. No of these bozos really know any field, they just read key words. I like to interview people who interview me. I asked him how he got into the recruiting field. He said this place hires a lot of ex Mililtary people. He said he was a former Marine.

After I left I felt great disappointment with my education and all the work I have done. It is almost like it don't count for anything anymore when I have to interview with a 20 something year old former jarhead who don't even have a degree.

After this I have made up my mind to never deal with another recruiter or recruiting company. I will only deal directly with companies and their HR departments.

Everyone please quit giving these parasites your business and put them out of business and make them get a real job.

Michael Ladd in Franklin, Tennessee

101 months ago

WOW I could of not said it better.

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

101 months ago

So if Paul, who sounds like he understands what the hell he's doing, calls 250 people a week, thats 1000 people a month. One placement out of 1000 people.

I can only imagine the success rate of some of Paul's "less qualified" coleagues.

His advice seems spot on. "Describe the opportunity, and why I should be interested." Hmmm. I should frame that for future reference.

Hey Paul, do you have similar advice on what employers should ask when a recruiter cold calls them?

Paul in California in Agoura Hills, California

101 months ago

Great question Bubba! Approximately 25-35% of my calls per week are to employers. By employers I mean hiring managers not human resources. Since I work in the technical field, it is very important that I develop a collabrative consulting relationship with the guy that is going to make the ultimate decision on the hire. This is very hard to do initially because it is a cold call and you have only abount 10 secs to separate yourself from the hundreds of other recruiters that are also calling him. The first thing they often do is try and pawn you off to the HR department. However once they understand that I am focussed on a specific type of engineer that they have interest in hiring then the relationship with HR becomes secondary. So the question a hiring manager should ask a recruiter when he calls is what his/hers area of specialty/focus. If it is not in the same area as his/her interest then send them off to the hiring manager that is.

101 months ago

Bob Smithe said: Paul, I can understand your frustration. People may make 100K a year with a MS in Cali., but not in the Midwest. I have never met a good recruiter and I hope that you break the mold for some.

Bob, it cost more to live in Cali than in the midwest so people with an MS do have to make more and so do recruiters. I concentrate on recruiting for clients in Cali because that's where I live.

101 months ago

Mary. The unethical techniques you hi-light in your diatribe are deplorable and I get as mad as you when I see people in my profession use them. However, to assume that every recruiter is a bad apple is quite a leap of faith. You seem to have a grudge against sales people. The fact is you wouldn't have a job if there were not sales people. I survive because the hiring managers I work with respect my ability to recruit candidates that qualify for the positions they cannot fill through their human resources department. As long as the pool of qualified talent continues to dwindle there will be recruiters.

Lorrie in Brattleboro, Vermont

101 months ago

I am a recruiter for a direct hire corporation. What is your specialty and are you willing to relocate for the right position?

Thanks

Bill in Albany, NY in Albany, New York

101 months ago

Interesting reading here. A few wounded souls with some pretty big chips on their shoulders and a penchant for stereo-typing. Like Paul and Lorrie, I also work for a niche recruiting firm helping many qualified IT professionals pursue their dream of finding the right situation in the right city and for the right money. For those of you out there who think this takes no effort or can be done by anyone, why don't you give it a try for a few months? Try dealing with "Intellectual Talent" that can't even write a grammatically correct sentence, or can't express a simple concept to a potential hiring director. Yes there are a lot of people out there who give us all a bad name, recruiters and contractors alike, but to lump everyone into one category is wrong and helps no one. Mary's attitude must come from a very bad experience at the hands of a recruiting conglomerate. I would be very interested in seeing her resume and getting a sense of what she can do, as well as a chance to talk to some of her past employers to see what her overall personality is like.
By the way, I am an MCSE in Windows 2000 and have several other certifications, still I choose to participate in this industry in the area where I feel I can make the most money and do the best service to my fellow IT professionals. I also believe I serve two masters, the consultant and the client. I am a firm believer in Win-Win situations.

Parker in Pleasanton, California

101 months ago

Mary-
In the immortal words of some random person that invents bumper stickers:
Mean people Suck
Try being nice, and maybe I will find you a gig.
Whatdya say?
C'mon!
YEAH!

Robert Full in Fort Mill, South Carolina

101 months ago

Hmmmm - I wonder what recruiting company is headquartered in PLEASANTON CALIFORNIA???? Parker are you drinking the kool-aid?

john

101 months ago

Parker said: Mary-
In the immortal words of some random person that invents bumper stickers:
Mean people Suck
Try being nice, and maybe I will find you a gig.
Whatdya say?
C'mon!
YEAH!

Hey Parker, you must be QUITE the ethical recruiter. Just kidding, of course.

I have been in IT for over 20 years and have dealt with many "recruiters" over the years. My overall experience is that these people tend to be very unethical. They are your best friends while talking with you but double-deal when your back is turned. I have seen more unethical behaviour here than in dealing with used car salesman. I once had the pleasure of getting a recruitor fired from a company I interviewed with due to the duplicitous acts by the recruitor.

Unfortunately more companies are turning to these leaches due to job cuts and lack of hiring skills within the company itself. They depend on recruiters to screen applicants and look for "buzz words" to save the company time, money, and effort. These recruitors may be "jar heads" or uneducated fools, that end up hiring dolts in the long run. Companies are cutting their own throats by eliminating HR employees and using these recruitors and then wonder why the candidates they see are not the right fit. It is a vicious cycle.

Doug in Denver, Colorado

101 months ago

I agree with Glenn. I was called in to the Robert Half office in Denver with a possible job match. The recruiter was very upbeat and happy to see me. They had me take a test on Windows 2000 AD. My score was (if I remember right) 38%. After I took the test she informed me that the average score of those that took the test was about 48%.

I can tell you that the test was the biggest joke I had ever seen. Some of the questions they ask you will find nowhere else and would not come across the situation discribed in the question in the real world.

If the average score is only 48% then something is wrong with the test they are giving and they just want to put you on their roles to say that they have so many people on staff.

By the way, the recruiters attitude after I finished was one of that she couldn't get me out the door fast enough. That was over four months ago and I haven't heard a word from them since.

Danovis Pooler in Oakland, California

101 months ago

Doug said: I agree with Glenn. I was called in to the Robert Half office in Denver with a possible job match. The recruiter was very upbeat and happy to see me. They had me take a test on Windows 2000 AD. My score was (if I remember right) 38%. After I took the test she informed me that the average score of those that took the test was about 48%.
I can tell you that the test was the biggest joke I had ever seen. Some of the questions they ask you will find nowhere else and would not come across the situation discribed in the question in the real world.
If the average score is only 48% then something is wrong with the test they are giving and they just want to put you on their roles to say that they have so many people on staff.
By the way, the recruiters attitude after I finished was one of that she couldn't get me out the door fast enough. That was over four months ago and I haven't heard a word from them since.

My name Danovis Pooler and that's the same thing happen to me
and she put me down real bad because of format of resume and for the
past 5 months i was trying to set it in a real neat way but she stills
mess with me so what i did i left her a nice little message i well she was
doing her job in oakland california by the way her name is mrs. fray lay.

AM-Sillion Valley in San Leandro, California

101 months ago

All I have to say is if you get a job through a recruiter keep looking for a permanent possition and leave as soon as you can get out. The recruiter and company using the recruitment agency are only thinking of saving a buck and making a commission so why not use them as a stepping-stone for better opportunities. Most Agencies do suck but it is a little better than unemployment. Hopefully most companies will stop using placement agencies when they see they are lossing their temps to companies that hire their employees directly. It is not cost affective to hire some one, train them and have them leave after just a few weeks.

Sam in Laguna Niguel, California

101 months ago

john said:
Hey Parker, you must be QUITE the ethical recruiter. Just kidding, of course.
I have been in IT for over 20 years and have dealt with many "recruiters" over the years. My overall experience is that these people tend to be very unethical. They are your best friends while talking with you but double-deal when your back is turned. I have seen more unethical behaviour here than in dealing with used car salesman. I once had the pleasure of getting a recruitor fired from a company I interviewed with due to the duplicitous acts by the recruitor.
Unfortunately more companies are turning to these leaches due to job cuts and lack of hiring skills within the company itself. They depend on recruiters to screen applicants and look for "buzz words" to save the company time, money, and effort. These recruitors may be "jar heads" or uneducated fools, that end up hiring dolts in the long run. Companies are cutting their own throats by eliminating HR employees and using these recruitors and then wonder why the candidates they see are not the right fit. It is a vicious cycle.

What's a "recruitor"??

Glenn in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

Dave said: ***I have to interview with a 20 something year old former jarhead who don't even have a degree.***
Funny that you're slamming him for not having a degree, yet in the same sentence you talk like a person that didn't graduate high school. Who "don't" even have a degree? The word you're looking for is doesn't.

Well excuse me Dave. You don't have anything better to do than check my grammar? I never said I was an English major. I am not trying to write a paper here and get a grade from you, just posting comments dude. I'll look you up the next time I need a spell checker though.

Glenn in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

Glenn said: I am so glad I went to college to get a BS in IS and spend 10 years in the tech field just to be interviewed by a 20 something year old kid fresh out of the Military. This kid was just using key words and didn't even know what he is talking about. No of these bozos really know any field, they just read key words. I like to interview people who interview me. I asked him how he got into the recruiting field. He said this place hires a lot of ex Mililtary people. He said he was a former Marine.
After I left I felt great disappointment with my education and all the work I have done. It is almost like it don't count for anything anymore when I have to interview with a 20 something year old former jarhead who don't even have a degree.
After this I have made up my mind to never deal with another recruiter or recruiting company. I will only deal directly with companies and their HR departments.
Everyone please quit giving these parasites your business and put them out of business and make them get a real job.

Recruiters are leaches, they ride the coattails of educated people. They rip us or the company off, or they rip us both off.

Part of the problem is that HR departments aren't worth a da** so companies look to recruiters. So the problem starts up front with HR. If I don't do my job I get fired, I don't get the luxury of having someone come in and help me with my job. So I don't understand why companies just don't fire them? If they did their job they would save the company money, if they don't do their job the company has to spend money on recruiters.

Everyone, you can find a job without a recruiter. Honestly, I have never found a job through a recruiter and they have all wasted my time.

Because of my experiences I will never deal with a recruiter again and I tell all my professional friends to stay away from them.

Someoneelseschild in San Rafael, California

101 months ago

no show no call said:
I work 10-12 hours a day getting slugs like you into companies and when I finally find some rat hole that will hire you...you don't even show up for the interview. You must be the best in your field

If you really work for this RH, the above sentence is proof that you could care less about your temporary employees, most of whom, really do want to work, and when they are working for your agency are probably working their hearts out believing every lie you tell them. You should be ashamed of yourself, insulting people on this board, while "representing" Robert Half. Your insults do not lend any credence to any positive words you may have spoken in the past. These insults discredit any positive representation you may have tried to post. If you are representing the company, you really should watch what you say, because now as a "representative of Robert Half" you stand as an example of the problems with this company and its opinion of its employees. Your opinion of temporary workers is absolutely appalling for someone who is supposed to be helping people find a job!

Recruiter in Hanover, Maryland

101 months ago

I have an education and have had other sales positions, but I choose to have this job because it is fulfilling. I get to set up qualified candidates with interviews so they can get a job to support a family. Glen, I'm sorry if you aren't qualified enough to get these opportunities, maybe try taking some short term contract to help support your resume, or take some night classes at your local community college.

I'm proud to say that I do not work for Robert Half, but the number one company in the industry. When I saw this article, I had to respond because without recruiters, people like Glen could not even get an interview due to their lack of writing ability. How can you get an interview if you can't even spell technology.
Regards, concerned recruiter. Ps, if you are in the Orange County area look me up......I can help you straighten up your resume.

p.s. Dave, can you proof read this and let me know if I have misspelled something. Thanks!

Dee Pooler in Oakland, California

101 months ago

This is for Recruiter in Hanover, Maryland:

YES YES YES GOOD my resume need some help

Danovispoolerjr@yahoo.com i can email it to you

101 months ago

That is easy for you to say when you are out there trying your a** off,
I see why people leaves and go to Canada, USA is pure
joke.

101 months ago

You use Allah?

That is my jihad: Is to find me a tech job and that is not a pure joke

Word of advice : leave California

Jacque in Bronx, New York

101 months ago

Don't worry about it said: I think that all of you who dispise recruiters are sad and angry individuals. These people do nothing but try to put people to work. You are angry at a world that has obvisouly passed you by if you are sitting here gripping about recruiters. Before blaming recruiters you should look at yourself and realize that your disgusting angry attitude is easily sensed by everyone that talks to you and that is why you are alone, angry, and unemployed. Please find god, allah, or something to rectify your ugly attitude.
I think your miss the point here. People are coming to you for work and there being told that there working on it there are not follow up calls on the job you applied for. You dont really get a explaination to why your resmume didnt make the cut. I am from N.Y. and some of things that where mention here i have personaly experience and it not fare.
some of the jobs posted are boggus. When you follow up with a recuriter he sometimes dosent have your information right or he calling you for the wrong job. it very frustating when you have to go threw recuriter who is not a expert in your feild he use scripted words to discribe an job. I have 15 year of experince and fromally training in varous Microsoft apps and I have novell train some of the jobs that are posted on hotjob and monster I qualtify for and I do sometimes get some response back. But Rober Half seems to be the only one who dosnt follow up with applicants. I took the assement test at rober half and so far no response. You said to find god. I think you need put alittle more compassion in your heart and mind. Your working thank god for that and why dont try to improve the system. Rober half tech is not the only recruting office out there but you seem to be gett most of the jobs in New York so tell me I have been out of work sense august do you think you can help me.

101 months ago

Good one very good

You is right on the money

Florida Guy in Jacksonville, Florida

101 months ago

Jacque.

Please tell me you're putting us on with your grammer.

Glenn in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

Recruiter said: I have an education and have had other sales positions, but I choose to have this job because it is fulfilling. I get to set up qualified candidates with interviews so they can get a job to support a family. Glen, I'm sorry if you aren't qualified enough to get these opportunities, maybe try taking some short term contract to help support your resume, or take some night classes at your local community college.
I'm proud to say that I do not work for Robert Half, but the number one company in the industry. When I saw this article, I had to respond because without recruiters, people like Glen could not even get an interview due to their lack of writing ability. How can you get an interview if you can't even spell technology.
Regards, concerned recruiter. Ps, if you are in the Orange County area look me up......I can help you straighten up your resume.
p.s. Dave, can you proof read this and let me know if I have misspelled something. Thanks!

Hey worthless recruiter, I just found a nice job without you losers. I don't need you for anything, especially to get an interview. I am highly educated and will always be in demand. If I need a spell checker I will look you up. The only thing that I need from you is for you to get lost and get out of my way...

disgusted with recruiters in Richardson, Texas

101 months ago

Glenn said: I am so glad I went to college to get a BS in IS and spend 10 years in the tech field just to be interviewed by a 20 something year old kid fresh out of the Military. This kid was just using key words and didn't even know what he is talking about. No of these bozos really know any field, they just read key words. I like to interview people who interview me. I asked him how he got into the recruiting field. He said this place hires a lot of ex Mililtary people. He said he was a former Marine.

i love it!! PARASITES is the best description for all of them!! thanks, you just made my day! lol

:)

anonymous in Pleasanton, California

101 months ago

Just an FYI, Indeed defaults your location to "Pleasanton, CA" if you do an anonymous post.

...so rethink the whole "all posters that are in Pleasanton saying good things about RHI are working for RHI (since that is where their corporate office is.)

Stop the hate and go network! Don't rely just on one company to find you a job. But take it from my experiences with Robert Half: they are first rate and work hard for you if you are willing to keep them updated on your status. You have to work WITH them, don't expect them to do ALL of the work...call, communicate, update your availablity and skills, anything to keep you on the forefront of their minds. Most of all? Be professional! Nothing can ruin your chances like a bad first impression!

Bubba in Pico Rivera, California

101 months ago

Hype aside, does anyone have accurate numbers on the sucess rate of Robert Half and it's ilk?

Specificaly, out of say, 100 resumes, in a 3 month period, about how many are placed in full time positions?

NA in Pleasanton, California

101 months ago

Wished I had read this prior to coming to RHT. These people are all brainwashed drones working in a hostile environment. Talk about a body shop with no talent people.

None said: A former Robert Half Manager said it best his comments follow:
I worked for RHI for 4 years 3 as a manager, and will give you the scoop. All they care about is their bottom line and nothing else. The turnover is horrible (god forbid your a top producer and have a bad quarter..you are gone), the post false jobs and as many as possible to bombard the job boards, and never return calls. This company had a great reputation but once they become a 3 billion organization they lost site of who they were and what made them successful. They treat their employees like crap and their candidates. They even lie to clients to produce jobs. I work for a small firm now with a great reputation and believes in ethics. Just some advice..If you are looking for a recruiter, focus on the small firms that will give you the attention needed and time to talk and really get to know you. Good luck in 2007 with your job search.
I say to everyone try them for your self and experience first hand the hell which is Robert Half.

TPA in Tampa, Florida

101 months ago

OK, forbes, money mag and the S&P 500 can not be all wrong... you are all a bunch of jokers

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

101 months ago

TPA said: OK, forbes, money mag and the S&P 500 can not be all wrong... you are all a bunch of jokers

And by that standard walmart and Home depot are leading the way.

I look at this from the hiring end. What does Robert Half deliver, that, Craigslist or Indeed don't? Is their screening process helpful at all at identifying future superstars? Are they getting me people I would otherwise miss?

If I hire through robert half, it costs an extra 30k or so. What am I getting for that? From the kinds of responces I see here, I might be better off doing my own HR.

Full time job seeker in Littleton, Colorado

100 months ago

I just completed interviewing with RHI, and I have to say that their interview process was the best I have encountered with maybe the exception of Progressive Insurance. They followed up with me almost daily, and checked all of my references. They have been honest with me from the beginning, and given me all negative aspects of the job I applied for. The people that I met were truly working to place people into the appropriate jobs... which is a better thing to make money off of than selling copy machines or "too-late" financial plans to baby boomers.

True, recruiters are replaced on a regular basis because the job is difficult and it isn't for everyone. In the AccountTemps side, most of the recruiters at one time had been an accountant... in the tech placement side, most of the recruiters have been techs. I had received many calls from recruiters in other agencies that didn't understand the job that they were recruiting for. It is disheartening when you have to tell the recruiter that you have zero experience in what they are recruiting for (even though they read the resume). That didn't happen with RHI.

I have nothing but great things to say about my experience with RH.

So, if you are looking to blame a recruiter, blame yourself. A job hunt is a full time job and should be treated so. YOU ARE YOUR OWN RECRUITER. If you need training to get more marketable skills... then train. Log onto corporate websites, stay in contact with your college's career services, network, register with your local one-spot, get resume advice from anyone and everyone, tell your friends and family that you are looking for something and get them to refer you... Take your job hunt by the balls and do something about your negative attitudes and lack of drive. The jobs are out there for you and a recruiter may or may not help you get one of them.

RHI sucks in Antioch, Tennessee

100 months ago

Back in 2000, as my company was going down, I started job hunting and went to RHI for one of their job listing. I have to agree 100%, with a few here, about the test. It is/was one of the most ridiculous test i have ever taken. The questions had little relevant to the job you are seeking.

Ever since that day I never gave RHI a second look because of their recruiting process.

Ex-RHI Recruiter in Lenoir City, Tennessee

98 months ago

They have to give you the test, because the recruiters have no clue how to assess your skills otherwise. They have a practice of hiring people with no professional technical experience and hoping it all works itself out.

RHT is full of dumb-dumbs who can't get better paying jobs elsewhere.

jimbo

98 months ago

I graduated in 2003 with a degree in marketing and have never been able to get a decent job. I have mostly concentrated my search for sales positions, territory managers etc. Most of my experience has been in retail, which is not where I want to be with a college degree. Any suggestions? Relocation is not a problem.

elisad_enise in Falls Church, Virginia

98 months ago

Bubba in Los Angeles, California said: So if Paul, who sounds like he understands what the hell he's doing, calls 250 people a week, thats 1000 people a month. One placement out of 1000 people.

I can only imagine the success rate of some of Paul's "less qualified" coleagues.

His advice seems spot on. "Describe the opportunity, and why I should be interested." Hmmm. I should frame that for future reference.

Hey Paul, do you have similar advice on what employers should ask when a recruiter cold calls them?

Bubba, my first recommendation is that too many candidates do not use Spell Checker; and submit words such as "coleagues" instead of "colleagues."

jimbo in alabama

98 months ago

Florida Guy in Jacksonville, Florida said: Jacque.

Please tell me you're putting us on with your grammer.

I hope that was a joke, but who knows?

J in Overland Park, Kansas

98 months ago

I wanted to make a comment on everything that is being said out there about recruiters. You are all right....and all wrong. I don't care what company you go to, or who you speak with everything relies on the recruiter. I have been in the recruiting industry for over 4 years. I have worked at 2 major nationwide agencies. I got so fed up with how candidates were being treated, I went out and started my own. I now own my own agency (since June 06). Yes we are small, but damnit, people get respect when they walk in my office. The major reason I decided to start my own, was because large recruiting firms tend to do anything to hit their numbers. For example, I would see our recruiter (as I dealt with companies) bring in as many people as possible. Why, you ask? So she could get her interview numbers up. She had zero intention of helping these people out. Recruiters from larger organizations always take up 2-4 hours of a candidates time...hwo funny is it, that in over 1 year, I have never had one candidate in my office for over 30 minutes. A candidate's time is valuable too.

Not all recruiters are out there as "used car salesmen." The ones that aren't like that are agencies like mine, that are smaller and personable. The one major piece of advice I can give to any job seeker is to go to a small agency, where you are dealing with one of like four or five people, not the companies that have 20-40 recruiters in their office. Most times small companies will never bring you in to interview without an active job they are looking for...now you may or may not hit those requirements, but at least there is something out there. Most of these recruiters want you placed more than a "natioanl" recruiter, as placing you is food on their table too. Basically...stay away from large firms where you are a number. Go somewhere small where you are respected and where they will help you, not just their bottom line.

J in Overland Park, Kansas

98 months ago

Paul in California in Agoura Hills, California said: Just to make it clear to everybody that posted here on this topic. I work for a small niche firm which does have ethical standards and a great reputation.

Exactly, Paul. Exactly.

Candidate in Cary in Raleigh, North Carolina

98 months ago

All a recruiter does is put one more person between you and the person who has the authority to hire you. You are better off to skip the recruiter altogether. Most recruiters I know do it because they were not able to succeed in their chosen profession anyway. Do you really want to place the fate of your future in their hands?

Not me! I tried working with recruiters, but as my job search seemed to be going nowhere, I bypassed them and went straight to the companies. Wow! What a huge difference! Now I am getting interviews, and with the people who's opinions actually matter!

BWT20Racer in Pleasanton, California

97 months ago

I am in Houston and I am a recruiter for RHT. I have three degrees (two in IT), I am Microsoft Certified, Dell Certified, Cisco Certified and various others. I have 10 years experience in IT - some being from contract for large corporations. I pride being a recruiter. I only hire people on my team that have IT experience and who have good ethics. It bothers me to see how people show such hate and discontent to this profession, but we can't please all. I would advise this, spend a day in the field or office with a sales professsional and THEN you will understand the dynamics that go on. So many factors involved with placing consultants.

Ex-Halfer in Raleigh, North Carolina

96 months ago

I am an ex-halfer and I wrote the following in another post, but wanted your response Racer. I will say that RHT recruiters and AE's work long hours and work very hard. I will also say that working with various resources (monster, direct firms, agencies, etc) increase your chances. Let me ask you a few things though...Does RHT and all their other LOB's practice candidate call night? Are blast emails suggested and encouraged by the regionals, dd's and others? Is activity not preached with regards to a minimum of 10-15 inteviews a week? Let me answer...YES!

Of course, RHI teaches their people to 'stay closest to the money'. This means recruit on jobs you have on the board first. However, after that the next thing is to get bodies in the door...for what? Leads!

Phone calls and interviews are meant to get leads. A recruiter will ask about current managers, how did you get your job (agency or direct)? Where you have applied?... They will go on to explain that they are asking this stuff to avoid doubl submiting a resume or "we have company-ins" and wouldnt want you in the office when your current manager is here also.

If you provide 3 manager references, why do you need anything else? If you are being ethical and telling the candidate where you are sending the resume, then when you tell candidate Doe you are sneding their resume for a position at Company X, then they can tell you - no, I have submitted over there.

These questions are to give a clue as to whether or not a company works with agencies...if candidtae a has been submitted by Manpower to Company X, then you know that company works with agencies and you are calling as soon as you get out of that interview, with that very persons background/skillset, and trying to work the 'lead'. Asking about managers, even thought you were given some already, helps you know who to call and again, pitch your candidates background - knowing the type of person they hire. Sad life/job!

Software Scout in Rochester, New York

95 months ago

Wow. Such varied comments here. I could write pages, but I think I will reduce it to the most important points.

I am a recruiter. I have a BS in Computer Science, as well as a certification in Human Resources (SPHR). I worked as a software developer for 7 years, then a network manager for 2 years before accidentally finding my way into recruiting/headhunting. It turned out that I was good at it, so I stayed in the profession. The first company that hired my was highly ethical, and I received some excellent training.

During my 12 years of recruiting I worked briefly for Robert Half Technology. For a number of reasons I did not like working there, so I started to look for another job. RHT found out and immediately fired me. It only took me a few weeks to find a new position. Then RHT had the audacity to write me a letter threatening to sue if I continued to work in the industry. The regional manager called my new manager and told some vicious lies about me, which fortunately my new manager did not believe. Robert Half has a strong policy about ethical behavior, but I do not think that it is followed in most offices.

The staffing industry is cut-throat. Competition is fierce. There is a lot of corruption and unethical behavior.

I refuse to sink to that level. I will not lie to either my candidates or my clients. Maybe I do not make as much money as many other recruiters, but I sleep well every night. I choose to take the ethical path, and be a leader and show the right way.

I know there are many other good and ethical recruiters out there as well. Candidates just need to pay attention. If you are not treated in an ethical and honest way by a recruiter, move on. If the recruiter does not ask about your goals, move on. If the recruiter does not treat you with respect, move on. Make the choice only to work with the best people.

Running out of room... more later if I have time.

Brian in Des Plaines in Atlanta, Georgia

95 months ago

Glenn in Houston, Texas said: I am so glad I went to college to get a BS in IS and spend 10 years in the tech field just to be interviewed by a 20 something year old kid fresh out of the Military. This kid was just using key words and didn't even know what he is talking about. No of these bozos really know any field, they just read key words. I like to interview people who interview me. I asked him how he got into the recruiting field. He said this place hires a lot of ex Mililtary people. He said he was a former Marine.

Dont be a dope, plenty of out there. At least this kid had a job...

Been There in Columbus, Ohio

94 months ago

Those who can, do.
Those who can not, teach.
Those who can't teach...work as headhunters!

OK Well in Scranton, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

I know that my relative (I won't say who) works as a Branch Manager for RH, makes boat-loads of $$, gets 7 weeks of vacation and is home by 4 PM every day......hmmmmm...works hard??

Fed-upandFrustrated in Washington, District of Columbia

91 months ago

elisad_enise in Falls Church, Virginia said: Hey Glenn,

I read your comment out loud to my recruitment colleagues. While I completely disagree with you, I really enjoyed the entertainment and the laughter you caused here at work. We have such a monotonous day, that this was really what we needed.

Ironically, I just got out of the military; I am 28 yrs. old; I also have a Bachelor's in Business Administration; an Associate's in Communications Technology; a job that pays over $75K/year with no incentives or bonuses; can work for $150K plus as a contractor, but choose not to; and with a TOP SECRET/SCI security clearance as a prior Intelligence Analyst, I believe I am using more than just "key words" to recruit.

However, do not allow my comments to deter you from future ranting and ravings about recruiters; you are now our favorite entertainer.

-Mac

Your fooled by your own BS now, but your day will come. And who, at 28, chooses not to make $150K? Is it the love of the job? Or would no one else have you? Based on your educational credentials you had bigger plans than you ultimately realized. Why settle for monotony and reading Indeed forums for entertainment. You are proving our point.

Chesty in Laurel, Maryland

91 months ago

I was not impressed by RHT at all, not by the staff working there that was rude and incompetent, and the interviewer was no better. By the end of the testing, I literally got up and left...I have no desire to work for them.

Chesty in Laurel, Maryland

91 months ago

I was not impressed by RHT at all, not by the staff working there that was rude and incompetent, and the interviewer was no better. By the end of the testing, I literally got up and left...I have no desire to work for them.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.