Age discrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Sukaz in El Dorado Hills, California

84 months ago

I truly believe that RHI discriminates according to age. I am in my 30s and very qualified to work in many situations. I took a few years off to start a family and needed a jump start. They interviewed me, tested me, etc. I passed all the tests with flying colors yet can't seem to even get a return phone call after several months. They can at least have the courtesy to give a return call. I have worked in many positions in the past, including management, so I know I am well qualified for many positions yet can't even get the opportunity. I truly believe it's an age issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pete in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

I too faced the "perception" of age discrimination with RHI - although they denied any inference when challenged on their business practices. Remember, agencies like RHI are nothing more than pimps looking to place a body as quickly as possible for as much money as they can get. As long as you present yourself as a willing and able person without any baggage (family, age, disability, etc.) you're good to go. If not, you find yourself in the "no" pile regardless of your experience or credentials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert H in Hicksville, New York

83 months ago

Hi Sukaz,

Below is an email that I sent to a major Long Island newspaper last month on this subject. I can't believe that someone in their 30s can't get a job because of age. It's more because you took off for a few years. I'm turning 54 next month and have applied to over 400 jobs since February, to no avail. I'm totally convinced that age (50s) is a major factor, despite recruiters denying it. I've been a CPA for 29 years, in the business processes and systems improvements role and can't get a job. I earned my BBA in Accounting (3.6 GPA) in May 1976 and my MBA in Accounting (3.9 GPA) in August 1977.

This email is in response to the "How does our Island grow?" article on pg. A38 in the Editorial section of Sunday Newsday.

The focus should be to keep the LI economy going by keeping people in their 40s - 60s here, by keeping them employed at sufficient salaries to support their families. The cost of living has become so high in this area that there is no realistic way for college graduates to live (rent) on their own here, let alone buy a house. They have to continue living with their parents (as painful as that is for us parents !!). My 22 year old son is making $45K per year as an engineer with a water treatment consulting engineering firm in Melville. His take home pay is $27K per year (after all deductions), which is not enough for him to live on his own. Given the low annual salary increases (average of 1 - 2%) experienced by employees since the stock market crash in March 2000, my son's annual salary increases will not keep pace with inflation on Long Island. I'm certain that there are thousands of other people in their 20s and 30s that are in a very similar situation. Very fews kids that go away to college come back to live here on Long Island. Those that went to college here on LI either have to continue living with their parents indefinitely or are forced to leave the area because they cannot possibly afford to live here on their own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Stamford, Connecticut

83 months ago

Sukaz in El Dorado Hills, California said: I truly believe that RHI discriminates according to age. I am in my 30s and very qualified to work in many situations. I took a few years off to start a family and needed a jump start. They interviewed me, tested me, etc. I passed all the tests with flying colors yet can't seem to even get a return phone call after several months. They can at least have the courtesy to give a return call. I have worked in many positions in the past, including management, so I know I am well qualified for many positions yet can't even get the opportunity. I truly believe it's an age issue.

It's not just Robert Half. It's EVERY corporation in America practices age discrimination!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert H in Hicksville, New York

83 months ago

Ben in Stamford, Connecticut said: It's not just Robert Half. It's EVERY corporation in America practices age discrimination!

AGREED !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

83 months ago

Guide

Robert H in Hicksville, New York said: Hi Sukaz,

Below is an email that I sent to a major Long Island newspaper last month on this subject. I can't believe that someone in their 30s can't get a job because of age. It's more because you took off for a few years. I'm turning 54 next month and have applied to over 400 jobs since February, to no avail. I'm totally convinced that age (50s) is a major factor, despite recruiters denying it. I've been a CPA for 29 years, in the business processes and systems improvements role and can't get a job. I earned my BBA in Accounting (3.6 GPA) in May 1976 and my MBA in Accounting (3.9 GPA) in August 1977.


Sounds like you have put in a ton of effort just to hit brick walls everywhere.
1. Have you had many interviews?
2. Any feedback from them?

In previous staffing and career service positions, one thing I've suggested is to "trim" down resumes for very experienced workers.
1. Take dates off your degrees.
2. See if you can "trim" your experience back to the early to mid 80s rather than as long as you have been working.
(I've found that this can get people "in the door" and that is one way to get past the "immediate" age discrimination a very experienced candidate can run into.)

It is a very sad statement that those who often have the most to offer are having the most difficulty. Certainly, I've dealt with folks in the Tampa Bay area who have also run into this. I'm 48, so I'm on the "cusp" of dealing with these things as well.

It's possible I may have other ideas that could be of help, so any feedback regarding any in person or on phone experiences beyond the application process would be helpful.

Sorry that your talent isn't being recoginized fairly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Plano, Illinois

65 months ago

Unfortunately, I think behind the scene age discrimination is just a fact of life at many companies. The fact is a lot of companies would rather have young blood fresh out of college so that they can mold them into the type of employee they want them to be. However, on the other hand, I as an employer find that my older workers are more reliable in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.