Don't take a job as a recruiter with RHI

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

anonymously in Tampa, Florida

84 months ago

Especially in Tampa.
Reasons why not..(feel free to add as much as you like, I am curious to see what anyone elses thoughts are)

1.The people there are straight liars.
2.They will threaten you with your job on a daily bases, and if that is not enough...they will fire you to save their own butts.
3.They will string lower level candidates along even though they know they aren't placeable. This type of behavior effected me the most.
4.Remember, they get a commission when you get hired there, that's why they want you to to get hired. After that, they don't care what happens to you
5.You WILL lose your technical edge.
6.You will hurt others to help yourself.
7.They keep your goals just high enough to put your job at risk on a day to day basis.
8.After they fire you, you will have to explain to your next employer why you moved industries. This can effect your credability.
9.60 plus hour work week, an awful life balance
10.They will tell you that you can make as much as most of the tenured producers...not true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Tampa, Florida

84 months ago

Also, I will be checking this periodically to answer any questions people might have. So, if you are checking this to see if you should take the job, just post a question and I'll try to answer it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

no comment in Somewhere, New Jersey

84 months ago

Robert Half-er here!

From what I understand it really honestly depends on what office you are in and how brain washed your branch manager is.

1. Some offices are STRICT PROFESSIONAL attire. Meaning...suit jackets EVERY DAY for everyone. No questions asked. Their idea of casual friday is not wearing a tie. In other offices I have been to the look is more business casual.

2. The hours vary as well. In my office we are out by six...end of discussion. In other offices there is more pressure to put in even MORE time. Some offices take hour lunch breaks every day, in other offices they don't even think about eating....ever.

3. They do exaggerate the pay. There are people there that do make money. They don't lie about it. You CAN make that money...if and ONLY if you are willing to put in the time and deal with being in a sales bootcamp enviornment. It also depends on the situation. If you are in a big office with six people in your division your not going to have the opportunity to rack up the hours to make the big bonuses. The tenured people make the $$$ because they have survived the turnover and got first dibs on the companies that hire tons of temps from us. They have guaranteed business. The new people are pretty much there to market to the smaller, less profitable companies to make RH the extra buck. HOWEVER if you stick it out long enough and you join a good branch who gives you a good territory or some good companies to market to you can one day be one of those few tenured recruiters. Most people don't have the patience for that, and I certainly don't blame them. And even those senior people aren't safe. If their numbers drop they are sent packing as well.

....to be continued....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

4. The gossip can get to a ridicolous level. Everyone is nice and happy and friendly all the time, but underneath the surface everyone is secretly trying to figure out how to get more hours than the person sitting next to them. The sales tracking is so complicated that you have to stay on top of EVERYTHING you do in order not to loose credit to someone else. We work on rotation. So more often then not someone ELSE is working the job orders that you worked your butt off to get as well as their own. So whose orders are they going to fill first? Your putting your commission in the hands of your competition. Because of all of this people can get catty. It's just not a normal enviornment.

5. Don't plan on having any privacy. Ever. You may as well just leave your cell in your car and pay your online bills when you get home. You sit so close to everyone...including the manager, that everyone can see everything you are doing and hear every word you are saying. ALL THE TIME.

Dispite all this there are some positives....

1. After a year of all that crap I hear it gets alot easier. It's one of those things where you...pay your dues. The unfortunete thing is that most people don't make it that long.

2. It's fun! Yes. It is. You meet a ton of people (including every hiring manager of every company for possible future use). When you toss all the competitiveness aside you can make a lot of great friends there. Your with them for ten hours a day and you become like family. You are never doing anything for more than a couple of weeks because of the rotation, so it's hard to get bored.

3. They give people a higher base salary then most agencies, and there are different bonus plans for different stages in your career. They also give you alot of vacation time.

4. Dispite what people say, if you are a good recruiter and you are honest in what you do, you WILL place candidates in jobs that are right for them and be responsible for bettering someones quality of life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

There are major pros and cons...yes I know. But you won't know unless you try it. It's not for everyone, so take it with a grain of salt. If it's not for you, you will know pretty much right away. It's not like your going to waste a year there before you decide you are miserable.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Clearwater Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Wearing a suit and working until 6:30 pm is not the downside of RH, that should be expected at any job. However, The down side is the enormous pressure put upon you to produce in a very short period of time. They will fill your head with making 200k plus. Do not believe them, you will not make that. Only if you are high finance perm will this happen. So be careful if they try to compare your goals to the senior producers. Also, the compensation package is not the most competitive. There are firms that will start you at higher margins then RH. Trust me, I am a very successful sales person, and have never had an issue with any of my employers before RHI. If you want to be a recruiter, train with RH then quit and go somewhere else. Or, just see what other firms have to offer. If you are an ethical person, don't even think about working for this firm....you'll hate it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Clearwater Beach, Florida

83 months ago

no comment in Somewhere, New Jersey said: There are major pros and cons...yes I know. But you won't know unless you try it. It's not for everyone, so take it with a grain of salt. If it's not for you, you will know pretty much right away. It's not like your going to waste a year there before you decide you are miserable.

-"Unless you try it". You make it seem like its riding a bike. Taking a new job is a very serious decision and should be thought through, expecially a horrible job at Robert Half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

OMG in Tampa, Florida

83 months ago

If you need the cash, it's a good place to work for the draw. But you won't last long. The senior recuiters will make sure of that. The place is run like a telemarketing company with some interviews sprinkled in. The training is awful and you will not have a good work life balance. The branch managers will fill your head with possibilities that never come true. If you want to be a recruiter, try it at a firm that treats the candidates right and with honesty and doesn't bother clients with dozens of phone calls every week trying to get job orders. A real recruiter doesn't act like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Washington, District of Columbia

83 months ago

There are far better places to work than RHI. Borderline unethical practices, unpleasant work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

83 months ago

Guide

In past searches, I've had interviews with Robert Half and several of their subsidiaries. Almost every person I interviewed with had some sort of "attitude" that was a niftily annoying mixture of condescending and arrogant. Sprinkle in unmasked impatience and you get the picture!

Such experience has led me to completely discount them as a potential future employer. Seems like there is something in the culture, at least in Tampa, anyway.

And I have a feeling I'm far from the first to reach such a conclusion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Homer Simpson D'oh in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

What is their sales commission like? Anybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

83 months ago

Guide

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina said: You saw it that way because you thought you were qualified to work for one of the biggest staffing firms and they rejected you because you are from a very tiny firm so now you are an illustrious guide on an internet forum.

Zeke, the truth is that what you experienced as "a niftily annoying mixture of condescending and arrogant (attitude) Sprinkle(d) in unmasked impatience" is called sophistication and difficult to grasp by neophytes.

Charlie:
Sophistication is not arrogance. And the arrogance is clearly what I experienced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in West Palm Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida said: Charlie:
Sophistication is not arrogance.

But sophistication is experienced by the non sophisticate as being arrogant.

I used to drive a Porsche 911 and even the police would stop me and sneer a bit. Neighbors would accuse me of being a drug dealer. Other drivers would try to run me off the road. All because they couldn't handle the fact that a person was capable of making good money and appreciated a fine German engineering product. I had no other reason to have chosen the car but others who were not very sophisticated saw it as blatantly arrogant for someone to drive such a vehicle. Even the banker who made the loan said to me, "Some people don't pay that much per month for a mortgage." So what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Florida in Bradenton, Florida

82 months ago

I worked for 5 years with Robert Half International and recently was terminated due to low production. I read these comments while working at Robert Half and they infuriated me, but now I find myself really contemplating why these comments are here. I was let go without warning, without counseling, without any care on a conference call. After the time I put in and the blood, sweat and tears I endured in the years working for Robert Half I didn't matter, it was just the bottom line. I was always where I needed to be in my production because of the fact that people wanted to do business with me because I was ethical and they mattered. I was 3 placements away from where I needed to be at Robert Half and now I find myself out looking for a job very much like the people I helped daily. I don't know if I am a scape goat or what, but I know now why these comments are on here.

The reason people are upset is because it isn't the wrong company they are working with, it is the wrong people. Hiring has changed and management has changed. The production is all that matters now, whereas years ago it was the full picture...quality services, happy employees and high production mattered. If someone doesn't feel they matter in sales, they aren't going to care about the services they provide. They are just going to care about another placement to save themselves. I am proud to have lasted as long as I did because of the fact that I saw 21 employees come and leave in my office, but I am sad to see what the company is turning in to. Getting in the Fortune 500 is possible with this company, but not if they continue to have no care for the people making it happen. I put in the 60+ hours and I am one of the very few left that knows what it used to be like. You did it not just for the money, but because the company cared and you were working for the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

October Prince in New York, New York

82 months ago

Dang.. Im about to get a job offer from RHI Account Temps.... Should I take it or leave it? The office is in NYC, Queens. As you know accounting and finance is alreays a needed field. Any input is great. Thanks....

Just A Number in Ottawa, Ontario

82 months ago

anonymously in Tampa, Florida said: Especially in Tampa.
Reasons why not..(feel free to add as much as you like, I am curious to see what anyone elses thoughts are)

2.They will threaten you with your job on a daily bases, and if that is not enough...they will fire you to save their own butts.
3.They will string lower level candidates along even though they know they aren't placeable. This type of behavior effected me the most.
4.Remember, they get a commission when you get hired there, that's why they want you to to get hired. After that, they don't care what happens to you
7.They keep your goals just high enough to put your job at risk on a day to day basis.
8.After they fire you, you will have to explain to your next employer why you moved industries. This can effect your credability.
10.They will tell you that you can make as much as most of the tenured producers...not true.

I have to have my input too...not only RECRUITERS should not work for RH, but ADMINS too!!!! They do treat their employees like crap off the side of the road, make all kinds of promises and plans, promise all kinds of training, tons of room to grow, pay you like you've never been paid before, then they fire you!! For no legitimate reason. Horrible, horrible Company to work for, I wouldn't recommend RH to even my worst enemies!!!!! Ain't that the truth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just A Number in Ottawa, Ontario

82 months ago

anonymous in Washington, District of Columbia said: There are far better places to work than RHI. Borderline unethical practices, unpleasant work environment.

Amen to your comment - I second it!!!!

no comment in na, Connecticut

82 months ago

DONT DO IT. I worked there for a year and witnessed people get fired that other companies would love to have. I EXCEEDED my goal and got called in the office out of nowhere. When I asked why I was getting let go, I was told that there was no main reason. And the reasons that were given were silly excuses...like..."well, you leave at 6:00, and um...you uh...yeah...um...it's just not going to work." I have NEVER been fired in my life. I got along with all of my clients, candidates and coworkers. I also got fired right when a really nice bonus was happening. Hmmmm....I wonder. I read all the boards and stupidly took the position anyway. In my year there I was quite happy in ignorant bliss having no clue what was going on behind the scenes. Little did I know EVERYONE's opinion was 100% dead on. Don't do it unless you have alot of financial backing (rich husband, trust fund kids, etc) or you will be screwed over and have to somehow explain to all your future employers why you were fired from a position for literally no reason. Don't DO IT. They ruined my career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

KDog in Boca Raton, Florida

81 months ago

LOOKING FOR ADVICE -- Lately I was appraoched for a RHI opening: Recruiting Account Manager for our Management Resources Division.

What is this position like? i seem to only read horrible reviews about working at Robert Half -- any insight would be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RubixCube in Miami, Florida

81 months ago

I have read this board and while Im not surprsied, I can also say that I have had nothing but a great experience with RHI. The MR team in Ft. Lauderdale is a good group of people (Im not in that division but often work with them). They enjoy what they do, get along well, and regularly do lunch together.

Yes, in any RHI division you will work hard and that is especially true for your first 6 months. This is not an easy job, but it is fun, the atmosphere is competitive but they want to see you succeed---you just have to be up for the challenge. The tone set by upper management can be negetive...you will often hear the phrase "perhaps this isn't the right job for you" but its true...this isn't the right job for everyone. And while I do not get motivated by these sort of talks, I knew coming into this deal that I was either going to fail or succeed on my own accord and somebody I don't know isnt going to motivate me one way or the other....To succeed you have to have internal determiniation and motivation. Its that simple.

Will they fire you out of nowhere? This hasn't been my experience, and the only thing I can tell you is that this is SALES and your numbers are your lifeline. Its that simple. I will tell you that after doing this type of work for 3-4 months you will gain a new perspective on the job market and the candidates you are working with. Until you've made it 5+ months, you are still basically a RHI candidate and the truth is not everyone is going to thrive in this environment. RHI provides you with a fantastic opportunity, and they will also be the first to tell you it isn't a good "fit" if in fact it isn't. To me, thats a good thing. (We've even placed prior staff recruiters in positions with our clients!)

In terms of training, its pretty good. But the only I can tell you is for the first 6 months, get in early, stay late, and make a ton of phone calls. Listen to the others on your team and copy what they say on the phone until you adapt your

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

RubixCube in Miami, Florida said: I have read this board and while Im not surprsied, I can also say that I have had nothing but a great experience with RHI. The MR team in Ft. Lauderdale is a good group of people (Im not in that division but often work with them). They enjoy what they do, get along well, and regularly do lunch together.

Yes, in any RHI division you will work hard and that is especially true for your first 6 months. This is not an easy job, but it is fun, the atmosphere is competitive but they want to see you succeed---you just have to be up for the challenge. The tone set by upper management can be negetive...you will often hear the phrase "perhaps this isn't the right job for you" but its true...this isn't the right job for everyone. And while I do not get motivated by these sort of talks, I knew coming into this deal that I was either going to fail or succeed on my own accord and somebody I don't know isnt going to motivate me one way or the other....To succeed you have to have internal determiniation and motivation. Its that simple.

Will they fire you out of nowhere? This hasn't been my experience, and the only thing I can tell you is that this is SALES and your numbers are your lifeline. Its that simple. I will tell you that after doing this type of work for 3-4 months you will gain a new perspective on the job market and the candidates you are working with. Until you've made it 5+ months, you are still basically a RHI candidate and the truth is not everyone is going to thrive in this environment. RHI provides you with a fantastic opportunity, and they will also be the first to tell you it isn't a good "fit" if in fact it isn't. To me, thats a good thing. (We've even placed prior staff recruiters in positions with our clients!)

In terms of training, its pretty good. But the only I can tell you is for the first 6 months, get in early, stay late, and make a ton of phone calls. Listen to the others on your team and copy what they sa

81 months ago

continued from above, sorry didn't mean to post it again....

Training is good but the best training you will get is by just getting on the phones and practicing. again, listen to what others are saying in your office..they've been doing this and are presumably successful.

In terms of the above entry here are my thoughts...

False...what is he even referring to? salary/earning ability?

Again, I don't like their ways of motivation sometimes, but in between some of the negetive motivational efforts is a lot of help to help you improve. take the good, leave the bad.

My division doesn't do this at all, we build our credibility and get referrals from these people and explain why we aren't going to be a good resource to them at this time...which is often true

In all recruiting firms, its a numbers game, either you have what it takes or you dont

5.You WILL lose your technical edge. Whatever your background, this is a sales and recruiting position not what you did before.

6.You will hurt others to help yourself. Not true

sounds like this person had a bad experience, not representative of the company

9.60 plus hour work week, an awful life balance - its normal,
10.They will tell you that you can make as much as most of the tenured producers... It does take time...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

RubixCube: I agree with what you are saying. However, I was there for a year, I EXCEEDED my goals. I got along with EVERYONE, including my branch manager that eventually fired me. The only thing that didn't make me a "fit" was the fact that 1)I didn't stay passed the moment I had to, since I did all my work for that day anyway. 2) I ate lunch every day.

I understand what you mean as this is SALES and your numbers are your lifeline. And if I got fired due to low production I would have just pat myself on the back and said, "well, at least I tried. sales just isn't for me." And that would have been okay, because it's certainly NOT for everyone.

But how do you explain my situation? Hmmm....maybe the NEW branch manager wanted to collect a commission check by putting someone in my place? Maybe I had enough hours that him and the one other person "Mr. Top Producer" could leverage off of me? Maybe this whole thing really is some stupid scam?

This is highschool. That's what it is. It is one big game. In fact, I think an RHI office would make a fantastic reality show. Since that's what being there is like. You know that when the "big guys" go into a closed door meeting they are simply voting someone off. This is not a professional enviornment in the least. It is full of fakeness and backstabbing.

Sure, you CAN make it at Robert Half. However, this is a very very rare thing. If your just out of college or you have a rich husband, go for it, have a good time, give it an fking whirl. But if you have bills, and a family, and a mortgage or rent, it is just too much of a risk and I wouldn't reccommend it.

That is just my opinion. I wasn't there for three weeks, or even three months. I was there for a year, and I saw alot of shady things happen. I am a victim of this nonsense, and if anyone has the right to come on this board and warn others of what this company is capable of it would be me.

continued.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

The first thing that happens when I go on an interview with another agency is they say. "oh, well so and so got fired from robert half too, and she's been here for five years and is very successful." Or, "I heard their turnover is insane, what the hell goes on over there?" A huge thing that I hear is, "well, we don't opperate the way RHI does, we are not sure how they stay in business."

RHI is a joke. If you want to get into the headhunting profession, go to a smaller firm where the turnover is low. This place is going to mess you up emotionally, and set you back career wise. I wouldn't wish this type of enviornment on my worst enemy.

81 months ago

I am neither just out of college nor have a rich (wife) husband. I have bills, a family, and rent, etc. I have been able to pay off all my credit card bills and put substantial $ into savings in less than a year.

Where there is risk there is reward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thanks for the feedback -- 1 more question. What is the primary difference (pay, hours, day to day work duties, culture, etc) between:

a position within the RH Management Resources Division

VS.

RH Accounting and Finance (the more traditional head hunter role at RH)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

professional in Tampa, Florida

81 months ago

RubixCube in Miami, Florida said: continued from above, sorry didn't mean to post it again....

Training is good but the best training you will get is by just getting on the phones and practicing. again, listen to what others are saying in your office..they've been doing this and are presumably successful.

In terms of the above entry here are my thoughts...

False...what is he even referring to? salary/earning ability?

Again, I don't like their ways of motivation sometimes, but in between some of the negetive motivational efforts is a lot of help to help you improve. take the good, leave the bad.

My division doesn't do this at all, we build our credibility and get referrals from these people and explain why we aren't going to be a good resource to them at this time...which is often true

In all recruiting firms, its a numbers game, either you have what it takes or you dont

5.You WILL lose your technical edge. Whatever your background, this is a sales and recruiting position not what you did before.

6.You will hurt others to help yourself. Not true

sounds like this person had a bad experience, not representative of the company

9.60 plus hour work week, an awful life balance - its normal,
10.They will tell you that you can make as much as most of the tenure

professional in Tampa, Florida

81 months ago

Rubix. I mean RH manager. Let me set you straight in regards to your BS.

1. They lye about what you are aloud to go after, and the money you might make. You know they do. They will limit your range.

2. Good and Bad? That is not the way to respond to that comment. They will fire you for anything, which is bad no matter what…idiot.

3. If RH doesn't string people along, then why are the complaints surfacing around the globe. Your branch is just as corrupt as all the rest...everyone take notice.

4. Still, you didn't address the fundamental problem with this statement. They should care about the people they hire even if they are struggling. All the other firms do….idiot.

5. It is still a negative especially if you have to jump back into your prior technical job after a year. What debate school did you go to?

6. It is true, that is the RH reputation. Don't you read online journals? RH is crumbling.

7. Perfect representation of the company. They do set unrealistic goals high, don't they? That is what I thought...

8-10 looks like the manager had to go fire another hard working employee and didn't have time to hide the truth....haha

Just wait til this guy gets fired. He’ll be ready for the truth

DO NOT TAKE A JOB WITH THEM!!!

HappyPerson in Merchantville, New Jersey

81 months ago

no comment in na, Connecticut said: DONT DO IT. I worked there for a year and witnessed people get fired that other companies would love to have. I EXCEEDED my goal and got called in the office out of nowhere. When I asked why I was getting let go, I was told that there was no main reason. And the reasons that were given were silly excuses...like..."well, you leave at 6:00, and um...you uh...yeah...um...it's just not going to work." I have NEVER been fired in my life. I got along with all of my clients, candidates and coworkers. I also got fired right when a really nice bonus was happening. Hmmmm....I wonder. I read all the boards and stupidly took the position anyway. In my year there I was quite happy in ignorant bliss having no clue what was going on behind the scenes. Little did I know EVERYONE's opinion was 100% dead on. Don't do it unless you have alot of financial backing (rich husband, trust fund kids, etc) or you will be screwed over and have to somehow explain to all your future employers why you were fired from a position for literally no reason. Don't DO IT. They ruined my career.

Since you were already fired, can you post an email where I can privately write to you?

81 months ago

I would love to, however, I would rather not disclose my identity, and my email address may do just that. If you post your email however, I will have no problem telling you about my experience.

81 months ago

To all of the people deciding if a job with RHI is for them?

Don't listen to the people that currently work there. They are brainwashed. When they get fired, which I'm 100% sure they will, they will have a completely different view.

Thats the funny thing about Robert Half. Everything is light and airy to your face, you have NO IDEA what is really going on until it happens to you. People have gotten fired with no warning, no reason to think they would get fired. Until that point you think...hey, this aint so bad, and then you start to see people trickle out of the office on a monthly...sometimes weekly basis. Then paranoia starts to set in with the survivors and you know its only a matter of time before you, or your new best work friend gets the boot.

You know what one of my coworkers said to me once? "I went out and bought all these clothes, but then I regretted it, because I don't know how long I'm going to be here." I myself held off on getting a place with my boyfriend because I didn't know how long I would be there.

I'm sorry, but no matter how much money you think you are making, and no matter how nice everyone may be to you initally, who in their right mind wants to live their life in limbo like that just wondering when their number is up?

It's absurd. Don't be stupid like I was.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thanks for all the feedback -- I decided against working at RHI.

Broader story is the So. Florida market and how it just baffles me -- I have 11 years experience in Investor Relations/Executive Management/Finance up in NYC and an Ivy League Degree (UPenn) and cannot find a DAMN JOB!!

It's been 6 months now -- it's just baffling!!

Any thoughts? Any suggestions would be much apprciated.

Thank you.

81 months ago

Maybe you made a mistake not working at RHI. Most of the comments on here cannot be taken seriously at all. Why won't they put a name? When I have a bad experience somewhere I will tell others about it. The job market has changed so drastically with almost every employer using an online app process. I sent out many more than when I job hunted 10 years ago and only heard 1 no thank you. I am great in person but never got the opps. Was ready to hit alumni groups, investment clubs.......really needed to network.

Are you in a position to market yourself? What about working as a consultant with RHI placing you until you are hired somewhere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

The reason I do not want to post my email address or name, is because of the recruiting industry in general, which I am a part of. I do not want my former colleagues to know where I have accepted an offer, and I do not want phone calls from Robert Half "telemarketers" calling me soliciting their services thinking I'm an easy target because "I understand." I also do not want to get sued because stupid me signed a "non compete" agreement which I'm still not sure how works. I've heard once you sign their agreement you can't work for any other agency or any of their clients or competitors for at least a year. ANOTHER GOOD REASON NOT TO TAKE A JOB WITH RHI!!!!

I have no problem letting people know exactly how I feel. But posting my name and contact information on a public board that my colleagues frequent is career suicide. Do you think I want my future employer and coworkers including my former colleagues at Robert Half using things against me. I don't think so. I still need to work, I still need to feed myself and pay rent. Robert Half just isn't worth this drama.

Kdog you made the right decision. Good for you!!!!
Happy Person, get back to us after your random termination. Unless of course you decided to take yourself out of recruiter roulette.

81 months ago

Random termination doesn't scare me nor am I baffled by it. I have a friend who has worked for them for a few years and loves it. All employment should be performance based and if you don't want to "go for it", government jobs are perfect. I personally don't like any "job" and look for entreprenuerial opportunities all the time. Until I am able to only work for myself, I will give whatever product my employer wants. As long as it is legal and moral by my standards. Wearing a suit all the time is the most annoying part for me.

What do you think is different in the people who are long timers and financially successful there and you? Is it their market or their individual drives or both?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Actually, you are mistaken. I was finanically successful, had a good market, was a "long timer" in RHI standards, and have enough drive to frighten someone. There is no difference between me and those people because I AM one of those people. That job isn't for everybody at all, and I'm the first to admit to that. People who aren't like us? Well that doesn't doom them to a "government job." That is the most ridicolous thing I have ever heard. There are many different types of jobs out there. There is a seat for every ass and as a recruiter you should know that. If what your asking is "Is there a difference between me and the people that don't get fired?" I guess that depends on who your manager is and if they like you personally or not. Or maybe it's because of competition. From my experience, most people get fired anyway. Alot of people quit too. I'm not sure exactly, because if I was I wouldn't be on this board trying to figure out the answer. Either way, I'm done. I am done with everything Robert Half, including this forum. It's just negitive energy. Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TechPerson in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

What is the deal with the Robert Half Non Compete? Is it enforcable?

luce owens in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida said: In past searches, I've had interviews with Robert Half and several of their subsidiaries. Almost every person I interviewed with had some sort of "attitude" that was a niftily annoying mixture of condescending and arrogant. Sprinkle in unmasked impatience and you get the picture!

Such experience has led me to completely discount them as a potential future employer. Seems like there is something in the culture, at least in Tampa, anyway.

And I have a feeling I'm far from the first to reach such a conclusion.

Hi, I found your comment very interesting. I just visited my first recruiter this week, not Robert Half though. I couldn't believe how on the mark you are about the attitude. Is this something they teach recruiting personnel? I have tried unsuccessfully going at it on my own for 4 months and was considering going to a recruiter when a local one called me this week. At this point, I'm very desperate for work and don't want to rule myself out but I don't see this going anywhere. Comments??? Thanks!

Pags in Monroe Township, New Jersey

67 months ago

I interviewed at both Woodbridge and Princeton Offices.I was offered an accpeted the position in Woodbridge.I was told on a weekly basis by my branch mgr that I was doing a good job and to keep up the good work.I exceeded my marketing call quota everyday and also generated leads which I was comended on during a staff meeting.On the last day of my 4th week unexpectedly without any warning or write up I was terminated.I was lied to by the branch mgr that she was going to have the branch mgr from the Paramus office contact me the very next day for perm placement.OF COURSE THAT NEVER HAPPENED!I followed up with an email to my branch mgr and she said she would call her again.Of course never heard back form either one of them.I contacted the original recruiter from Princeton to see if he could help me, he transferred me to another recruiter who was extremely NOT HELPFUL, with poor follow up skills.Candidate update night is a crock.As a result I was never contacted by anyone in the past 4 months, meanwhile I chose RHI to go to for job assistance.WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

H Purna in SoCal in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

Hi -- can anyone tell me more about the role of Division Director? Would I be focused on a specific geography, a specific client list? How would my responsibilities or territory be different from the other DDs in an RHI office? I have been working in the past for Adecco, and am not sure if the structure is the same....
Thanks!

Hillary

Casey Misseri in Kansas City, Missouri

65 months ago

H Purna in SoCal in Los Angeles, California said: Hi -- can anyone tell me more about the role of Division Director? Would I be focused on a specific geography, a specific client list? How would my responsibilities or territory be different from the other DDs in an RHI office? I have been working in the past for Adecco, and am not sure if the structure is the same....
Thanks!

Hillary

Don't do it - Read the posts. All negative comments are true. Go into their system first. Register as a temp. See if you get the results that you would expect. Go out and talk to your clients - ask them about their experience with other agencies. Those clients who you have a great relationship with and who will be very upfront with you would be the best resource for you to find the real skinny.

chicagogal in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

BEWARE! If you are out of the job it would be better off collecting unemployment than working here! Its a TELEMARKETING job.

As a former employee, this is the job for you if you like:

-making 100 cold calls a day
-make NO commission until after first year
-3 foot wide cube, next to 1 of your 5 bosses
-being told "i can't hear you on the phone"
-having a call blitzes everyday
-passive aggressive Branch Managers
-NO job security
-average tenured employee 4-6 months

Don't do office team or creative group either! No one is hiring now, and also cutting all their temps so their jobs are extra miserable!

Anonymous Individual in Greenville, South Carolina

65 months ago

Run away from this company in Charlotte. Do not interview and waste your time. They have a branch manager in their CLT office named Jenn Bridges who is a liar about anything she tells you. You will work for 10 dollars an hour in telemarketing.

There is no commision. When I went to make outside sales calls and they heard Jenn was my boss, they would not do business with me. Why are there so many bad reviews on this company, connect the dots. They are horrible. There is no training but for 10 dollars an hour, who would get trained. You cannot eat lunch out. You have to bring it back and make calls wehn you eat.

I would rather wash dishes at McDonald's than subject myself to this scum bag company. Imagaine asking your boss to explain the commision structure and they can't. Like I said, do not even think about this company.

I cannot believe these people can sleep at night knowing what they do all day to their employees. The current recession should should put a nice dent in their earnings with their overhead. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of assh0les.

El Guinn in Oxnard, California

62 months ago

HappyPerson in Merchantville, New Jersey said: Random termination doesn't scare me nor am I baffled by it. I have a friend who has worked for them for a few years and loves it. All employment should be performance based and if you don't want to "go for it", government jobs are perfect. I personally don't like any "job" and look for entreprenuerial opportunities all the time. Until I am able to only work for myself, I will give whatever product my employer wants. As long as it is legal and moral by my standards. Wearing a suit all the time is the most annoying part for me.

What do you think is different in the people who are long timers and financially successful there and you? Is it their market or their individual drives or both?

I agree that working for self is the best but I have to say that from being a former insider, it is not always personal drive at Robert Half that gets the prize. Former employees have gone on to competitors and become wonderfully successful. Robert Half has, in my opinion, a good leader in Max, Pres/CEO and other smart individuals at the top but some real challenges between the ground level of the company and top executives.

62 months ago

anonymously in Tampa, Florida said: Especially in Tampa.

Wow! You have plenty to say about this company. I am interested in hearing more. I too, am a former employee and lived many years loving the concepts upon which RHI is founded. The foundations of the company are great. The execution of its intended mission in recent years is grossly lacking. There are very smart folks at the top who, I believe, will figure it out eventually. There are issues on the ground and in the middle.

62 months ago

chicagogal in Chicago, Illinois said: BEWARE! If you are out of the job it would be better off collecting unemployment than working here! Its a TELEMARKETING job.

As a former employee, this is the job for you if you like:

-making 100 cold calls a day
-make NO commission until after first year
-3 foot wide cube, next to 1 of your 5 bosses
-being told "i can't hear you on the phone"
-having a call blitzes everyday
-passive aggressive Branch Managers
-NO job security
-average tenured employee 4-6 months

Don't do office team or creative group either! No one is hiring now, and also cutting all their temps so their jobs are extra miserable!

As a former long-term employee with my own on-going issues with Robert Half, I am interested in hearing what happened to you there and want to send some encouragement your way in saying that not working out at Robert Half can have little to do with one's abilities and potential for success in the industry. The work was never intended to be telemarketing.

62 months ago

no comment in Somewhere, New Jersey said: Robert Half-er here!

From what I understand it really honestly depends on what office you are in and how brain washed your branch manager is.

1. Some offices are STRICT PROFESSIONAL attire. Meaning...suit jackets EVERY DAY for everyone. No questions asked. Their idea of casual friday is not wearing a tie. In other offices I have been to the look is more business casual.

2. The hours vary as well. In my office we are out by six...end of discussion. In other offices there is more pressure to put in even MORE time. Some offices take hour lunch breaks every day, in other offices they don't even think about eating....ever.

3. They do exaggerate the pay. There are people there that do make money. They don't lie about it. You CAN make that money...if and ONLY if you are willing to put in the time and deal with being in a sales bootcamp enviornment. It also depends on the situation. If you are in a big office with six people in your division your not going to have the opportunity to rack up the hours to make the big bonuses. The tenured people make the $$$ because they have survived the turnover and got first dibs on the companies that hire tons of temps from us. They have guaranteed business. The new people are pretty much there to market to the smaller, less profitable companies to make RH the extra buck. HOWEVER if you stick it out long enough and you join a good branch who gives you a good territory or some good companies to market to you can one day be one of those few tenured recruiters. Most people don't have the patience for that, and I certainly don't blame them. And even those senior people aren't safe. If their numbers drop they are sent packing as well.

....to be continued....

You are right on target here. Now, if we could just get the company to enforce fair-play so that new employees have a ghost of a chance to become as successful as their tenured "partners".

62 months ago

Hey,

I lasted 5 days there before leaving for lunch and not returning. I chose no income for a while over that. The training was actually funny (first 3 days) but the job, would not have been. Spending 9 hours a day cold calling, offering employers talent that I did not have and calling candidates, some in desperate situations, to bring them (raising their hopes way before I could have placed them) was not something I could do for any compensation.

I have returned to accounting in a federal position and while the salary is much lower - my job is not to stretch the truth. I am now enforcing it.

62 months ago

Actually, I was with the company for 10 years and I agree. The company culture has changed dramatically over the years.

nolongeraslave in Hades

56 months ago

Considering a job with RHI? Run, don't walk, and get far far away! Save yourself the trouble of having to leave in shear disgust down the road, or worse, being fired because you haven't made enough money for your Regional VP who will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat to save face with his/her boss. You won't stay, trust me - they can't pay you enough to stay. I was one of their "top producers" who did make six figures - for multiple years. The only problem is Robert Half doesn't know how to loose. They are like a bratty kid on the play ground throwing a tantrum. If the tide turns in the least, the recruiters are considered idiots who are obviously burned out so your Regional must "upgrade the seat". If you've been unlucky enough to witness more than one down turn you will see it is an ingrained management philosophy. No I wasn't fired, I left to keep the stinch off me. I'm not bitter about having to hit goals - that's sales. I'm not bitter about the number of calls I had to make in a day-sales is a numbers game. I'm completely grossed out by the unprofessional behavior of management and the way they use up good people and throw them out like garbage the minute times change, not matter how big or small the change. And I'm disgusted that they would take arbitrary amounts from candidate pay to maintain their profit margins, while executives keep receiving their stock options and cashing in stock at "just the right moment" - Funny how that works, you can watch the big sales push where people get chewed up and spit out, the executives sell their stock, the stock price falls, and the cycle starts over. Now I'm business savvy enough to understand that RHI is a for profit company who answers to stock holders. BUT companies can choose to actually put "ethics first" or simply say they do. There's nothing ethical about treating employees and clients like trash! Shame on you RHI!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.