Robert Half

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Maria in Toms River, New Jersey

85 months ago

How do they make any money. They never seem to place anyone. I have never heard of anyone getting a job through
Robert Half. Don't waste your time going through Robert Half or any employment agency. You'll have better results by doing the leg work yourself,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in Pleasanton, California

85 months ago

And you SHOULD be self interested and get yourself a job. You should never assume that just because you registered with a recruiting firm that you have just guarenteed yourself a job. Take some initiative for your own career development and don't rely on others to do that work for you. Besides, what does that say about you when you are not willing to work to get yourself a job, it probably says you're not going to work very hard once you have a job. At the end of the day, RHI is a fantastic resource that you can leverage in your search, and probably the best in the industry in terms of reach and scope, but at the end of the day, they can never be as interested in finding you a job as you are, keep that in mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Fremont, California

85 months ago

I worked some temp assignments through RH. I also interviewed with firms that RH said wasn't interested from ads I found on Craigslist. RH had never submitted my resume to these firms and I was told by 2 HR people that it was just as well because they weren't dealing with RH anymore because of poor quality candidates.

The job I currently hold was found by me applying directly to the company. RH had a temp to hire position here, but wouldn't send me in. Now that I'm permanent here and things are going well, I guess the laugh is on RH.

Oh well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Acctmgr in Walnut Creek, California

84 months ago

Some Guy in Pleasanton, California said: And you SHOULD be self interested and get yourself a job. You should never assume that just because you registered with a recruiting firm that you have just guarenteed yourself a job. Take some initiative for your own career development and don't rely on others to do that work for you. Besides, what does that say about you when you are not willing to work to get yourself a job, it probably says you're not going to work very hard once you have a job. At the end of the day, RHI is a fantastic resource that you can leverage in your search, and probably the best in the industry in terms of reach and scope, but at the end of the day, they can never be as interested in finding you a job as you are, keep that in mind.

Pleasanton is where the corporate office for Robert Half is located, so no surprise an employee would say they're a "fantastic resource". Not my experience at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Belvedere Tiburon, California

84 months ago

Nor mine. I don't believe that a recruiting agency should tell you they are submitting you for a job; the company was not interested, and then you get an interview from the company's posting and they say that RH never submitted you.

It's not that hard to send query letters directly to companies. Many large firms and corporations are not using agencies. Why should they? Agencies don't do anything that companies can't do in terms of reference checks, background checks, testing, etc.

Agencies are a total waste of time. Even small firms are advertising for their own temps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

So Sorry Folks in Pleasanton, California

84 months ago

Maria in Toms River, New Jersey said: How do they make any money. They never seem to place anyone. I have never heard of anyone getting a job through
Robert Half. Don't waste your time going through Robert Half or any employment agency. You'll have better results by doing the leg work yourself,

We place lots of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mel in Tustin, California

84 months ago

So Sorry Folks in Pleasanton, you're being extremely obnoxious. After reading all these horribe stories and experiences from the people who went to RH, only thing you can say is, "We Place alots of people?"

How about trying to address the problems that are mentioned the forum, such as:

1)wasting peoples' time, money and effort by using fake want-ads to bring people into RH offices;

2)using fake want-ads to meet recruiters' interview quota;

3)using peoples' references to get new leads;

3)lying to people about jobs that are not open;

4)treating people with courtesy and respect;

5)asking an indiviual with whom he/she had interviewed with just to place another person in the same position and;

6)returning calls and emails so the people know the status of a job.

How about trying address these problems, instead of just saying "We place lots of people?"

I read other postings by RH recuiters. Sorry to say, only a small number of the postings were helpful. Most of the postings by RH recruiters were personal attacks and OBNOXIOUS statements like yours. These types of responses shows the common personality/character the RH recuriters have--apathy and cruelty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Let post this again:

" I don't believe that a recruiting agency should tell you they are submitting you for a job; the company was not interested, and then you get an interview from the company's posting and they say that RH never submitted you. "

Now, let me make this perfectly clear:

The above activities amount to LIES!. And a tremendous waste of time by fooling around with an agency. As I've also posted before. Applicants benefit by applying with a company directly and the companies by not paying ridiculous agency fees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

84 months ago

Deborah James in Belvedere Tiburon, California said: " I don't believe that a recruiting agency should tell you they are submitting you for a job; the company was not interested, and then you get an interview from the company's posting and they say that RH never submitted you. "

The above activities amount to LIES!. And a tremendous waste of time by fooling around with an agency. As I've also posted before. Applicants benefit by applying with a company directly and the companies by not paying ridiculous agency fees.

What you say may be true, but isn't it possible the company was lying? Your application directly may have reached the desk the same time as the agency offer did and the company told the agency they weren't interested so they could hire you directly and avoid the fees to the agency. In that case, you must be a great candidate. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Call me Charlie, another scenerio can be E.T. called the company and told the company to hire Deborah James in Beledere Tiburon.

How far do you want to stretch the experience Deborah had with RH? Deborah has the 1st hand knowledge about the event and her conclusion is rational and credible.

E.T can you call a company and get a job for me too?

84 months ago

mel in Tustin, California said: So Sorry Folks in Pleasanton, you're being extremely obnoxious. After reading all these horribe stories and experiences from the people who went to RH, only thing you can say is, "We Place alots of people?"

Hate to tell you but if you found such a simple statement "obnoxious" then you are not the type who would likely be pleased with any response. You show the same sort of unreasonable attitude by insinuating that the scenario I proposed is as ludicrous as some science fiction movie.

I suggest you take a minute and ask yourself exactly what sort of responses you are expecting. Certainly a representative of the agency is not going to come here and tell you that "Yeah. Yo are right. We are terrible company and have never placed a single person in all our years of being in business."

It would appear that such is what you insist upon hearing. I do not have specific information about Robert Half but I do know they have been in business for many many years and it is unlikely that any business would remain in business that long if they weren't having some success.

So.... I agree - Robert Half probably does place many people. Plus, they do not owe you an explanation for how they do business. But I ( being experienced in general business will address your requests...

(cont'd)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

(cont'd)

1)wasting peoples' time, money and effort by using fake want-ads to bring people into RH offices;

It is not a waste of time if there is any chance at all of being placed either now or in the future. There is probably no advertised guarantee.

2)using fake want-ads to meet recruiters' interview quota;

The quota set internal to a company has no bearing on the results you experience. Either you were placed or you were not. The fact you came into the office probably was not the goal of the quota but the placement was. You probably misunderstood what the quota display meant.

3)using peoples' references to get new leads;

That is the same thing every employment agency does and for good reason. Obviously if you are skilled at building widgets, then the places that gave you these skills may very well have need of someone like you in the future - in fact immediately if they place you and you resign from your present position.

3)lying to people about jobs that are not open;

Unethical if true but basically advertising. If it gets you in the door as a customer, it is the same thing that all advertising does.

4)treating people with courtesy and respect;

Some people do not know how to behave in an office and may come into the office with a chip on their shoulder or with a demanding attitude. Such people do not deserve much courtesy and respect. Courtesy and respect is a two way street. You have to give it to receive it in most business situations. An example is here in this thread. You do not show me much courtesy or respect so I am not inclined to grant you very much.

5)asking an individual with whom he/she had interviewed with just to place another person in the same position and;

Makes perfect sense to me. If you have interviewed with someone and you failed to secure the position, then it is quite possible the agency may be able to place someone more qualified there.

6)returning calls and emails so the people know the

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

(cont'd)

6)returning calls and emails so the people know the status of a job.

That stopped happening generally back in the late sixties. Who told you that is to be expected? If an agency as large as Robert Half returned every enquiry by phone or e-mail, they would have half their staff doing nothing else but that, I would imagine. It is a business. It is not a charitable organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Charlie, calm down. Seems like I've hit a nerve in you. I used an extreme example to show how idiotic your posting is. You wrote:
What you say may be true, but isn't it possible
the company was lying? Your application directly
may have reached the desk the same time as the
agency offer did and the company told the agency
they weren't interested so they could hire you
directly and avoid the fees to the agency.
In that case, you must be a great candidate.

How do you know the company was lying? Where are the facts that proves application reached the desk at the same time? Where is the evidence that shows the company was trying to avoid paying the fees? The statements you made are nothing but conjecture after conjecture. There is not an ounce of fact/truth in them. You must have a vivid imagination.

You Charlie, by posting this kind of non-sense does the followings:

1) erodes the credibility of the people's postings who had
experinces with RH (good or bad);
2) blurrs the fact/truth about the people's experience; and
3) blames an innocent 3rd party.

Shame on you, Charlie. Next time, stick to the facts, okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Alameda, California

84 months ago

Thank you for pointing that out. Here's a quote from one the list servs I moderate written by the person in charge of hiring paralegals at one of the top law firms in the world. It was written in response to a posting regarding RH.

Original post:
>
> I must add that Robert Half has a blog i found on indeed.com and there are many complaints about them. Many candidates complain of getting stringed along and age discrimination....so dont count on them.

Hiring manager's response:

"Re: Recruiting agencies and the job hunt

Certain agencies have a bad reputation with employers and we refuse to do business with those organizations. With issues ranging from overzealous sales reps to exaggerated candidate qualifications - we find ourselves putting some organizations on the Firm's "do not use" list. – Of course, this impacts candidates listed with those firms.

They basically never get their foot in the door due to their agency's failings. Also note that at least some agency listings are gleaned from publically available job posts (i.e., jobs that an employer has advertised elsewhere)."

Now, let's clarify my postings. There were jobs I applied to from the company's listings on Craigslist (which were anonymous). I applied well after being told by RH that they were submitting my resume. When I got interviews from the companies, I recognized the names of the firms and mentioned that I thought I might have been submitted by RH. This was not the case.

RH (and other agencies) use Craigslist to find applicants and companies. I had one HR person tell me that an RH rep told her that she shouldn't recruit from Craigslist. Her response:

"Why not, you do!"

There are also firms that will use agencies to fill temp spots, but have no intention of paying RH's fee for a permanent employee.

If you look on Craigslist, you will see that a number of firms are advertising their own needs for temp employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

The original statement in this thread was:

"How do they make any money? They never seem to place anyone. I have never heard of anyone getting a job through Robert Half."

I have noticed so much discussion of the RH company that the nerve that you hit is the absolute ridiculous idea that a company in business for nearly 60 years as a recruitment firm has never placed anyone. RH operates in 18 countries. All I am saying is that it is obvious they have placed many people as the person said and the statement to that effect can in no way be legitimately construed as being "obnoxious" in any way.

You, Mel, have displayed a personal vendetta against RH and it is clear that (as I said) even when someone addresses your list of concerns, you are not satisfied with any point of view but your own.

Whether people love them or hate them, RH DOES in fact place people and all this crying about how you or someone else failed to make the grade is no proof that the agency is a terrible company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

mel in Tustin, California said: You Charlie, by posting this kind of non-sense does the followings:

1) erodes the credibility of the people's postings who had
experinces with RH (good or bad);
2) blurrs the fact/truth about the people's experience; and
3) blames an innocent 3rd party.

That is exactly my purpose. I am happy you see my success. I write on this subject because I wish to erode the credibility of posters who (in other forums as well) wish to make believe some agency or company or the government or other entity is at fault because they themselves were unable to secure employment. I wish to blur the so "factual evidence" that simply does not hold up in many of these arguments. I also wish to show that attempts to blame an innocent third party such as Robert Half company is inaccurate and cannot be the total cause of someone not being chosen for placement.

As I have said many times here, agency or no agency, the fact is that it is your credentials and the employer's willingness to hire you that gets you the job. To blame the third party (Robert Half) for pointing you in the direction is ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

"As I have said many times here, agency or no agency, the fact is that it is your credentials and the employer's willingness to hire you that gets you the job."

Yes, and it's better to go in on your own. RH is not a good agency. I have been told by HR people that the more they used RH, the worse it was getting.

I was on a very long term temp assignment with one of the top law firms in the world. They had their own temp pool and also used agencies. RH was not one of them.

RH also sent me into some absolutely mismanaged, jokes of law firms.

Is it any wonder that one of the hiring managers for another top law firm said:

"Certain agencies have a bad reputation with employers and we refuse to do business with those organizations. With issues ranging from overzealous sales reps to exaggerated candidate qualifications - we find ourselves putting some organizations on the Firm's "do not use" list. – Of course, this impacts candidates listed with those firms.

They basically never get their foot in the door due to their agency's failings."

I'm glad you have so much faith in Robert Half. I know plenty of people that don't, including hiring managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Deborah James in Alameda, California said: RH also sent me into some absolutely mismanaged, jokes of law firms.

And there is the proof of my point. Robert Half did indeed place at least this one person (more than once it seems) into a position. Whether the individual thought it was a joke of a law firm or not or whether the individual succeeded in the position or not, RH DID place her and therefore it is ridiculous to state that RH doesn't place anyone nor make any money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Fortunately, the person they placed at my current job on the temp assignment (which the firm wanted to be a temp to hire)was so unorganized that the assignment was cut off and I got the permanent job by applying much later to an ad that the firm placed directly.

I had expressed an interest in the temp to hire position but was not sent on it. Another example of RH's excellent placement skills.

There was another firm where RH stopped returning their phone calls when they called and needed temp help. They had a permanent opening and opted to advertise instead on Craigslist. I responded to the ad, reminded them that I had temped there through RH, but hadn't worked with RH in more than 6 montsh. (The law firm had actually called RH and requested me for some temp assignments, but I never heard back from RH). I got an interview the day I called. I was offered the job, but realized that the commute was a little much for me and chose my current position instead.

Like I said, I'm glad that somebody has something good to say about RH.

Sandra Millar in Coventry, United Kingdom

84 months ago

I found Robert Half and its subsidiary Protiviti to be a very unprofessional company. I worked at Protiviti in London as their Government sector expert until April 2007. I was sacked for raising my concerns about the company's non-compliance with legislative requirements. I am now taking legal action and an employment tribunal is scheduled for October 2007. It seems that the company's publicity about high corporate governance standards was a smoke screen. As most of Protiviti's senior management are ex-Andersen partners you would have thought they'd learnt their lesson after the Enron affair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

That's scary. I have a friend who is an accountant. She said that RH sent her out very sketchily (like the assignments I got from them) and then she didn't hear from them. She was concerned that people she referred who were account clerks were being sent on interviews for CPA assignments. I introduced her to another friend who is the CFO of a government agency in the SF Bay Area. She needed an accountant to help with a year end audit. RH sent out someone who had a felony conviction for credit card fraud. This was discovered after he was already working on some files.

No thank you, I'll pass on RH.

84 months ago

Sandra Millar in Coventry, United Kingdom said: I found Robert Half and its subsidiary Protiviti to be a very unprofessional company. I worked at Protiviti in London as their Government sector expert until April 2007. I was sacked for raising my concerns about the company's non-compliance with legislative requirements. I am now taking legal action and an employment tribunal is scheduled for October 2007. It seems that the company's publicity about high corporate governance standards was a smoke screen. As most of Protiviti's senior management are ex-Andersen partners you would have thought they'd learnt their lesson after the Enron affair.

This is spam as you have already expressed this opinion in another thread.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Contrary to your post about businesses' rights and restrictions on questioning policies in another thread, this is not a business but an internet forum. If you feel that she is violating "spam" rules, then you should report it to www.indeed.com

Do you see the button that says "report abuse?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Yes, I see the "abuse" button but I know that any moderator seeing a post such as that would not consider it an abuse as it does not violate any of the terms of service in itself. I merely wished to let people know that the opinion expressed is not so much a cogent remark having to do with the discussion at hand but instead an attempt to spam Robert Half with flimsy "evidence" in multiple places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

WAAAAAAAAAA in Northbrook, Illinois

84 months ago

Let me preface by saying that I do not work for Robert half or any staffing/recruiting company. I stumbled onto this "discussion board" while doing some research for my job (which I obtained through my own effort). I've never seen such a pathetic display of sweeping generalizations.

For you job seekers: Last time I checked, Robert Half (and other placement firms for that matter) offer you a free service. In other words they owe you nothing. In fact, the majority of you complaining all over these boards probably owe the recruiters something because you wasted their time by calling them reapeatedly wondering why they weren't finding you a job sending resumes for jobs you weren't qualified for.

For you so called hiring mamagers: I'm sure everyone at your company is top notch, right? No bad apples? And I'm sure throughout your professional life you've been infallible, never a bad hire, right? Anyway, of the 451 total posts across these boards there are probably no more than 75 unique complaining users. Assuming they are talking about unique individuals at Robert Half, who may or may not work there any more, you are talking about less than .33% of an organization.

My advice is to stop wasting your time libeling an organization of over 13,000 employees and disparaging their profession and focus on your own life and/or job search. You'll probably be happier for it. Anyway, thanks for all the laughs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Thank you as well. After 26 years of experience, I wasted time with RH when they approached me on a temporary assignment that I'd found through Craigslist. They found a few assignments and then the calls stopped (even though employers were requesting me back - I found this out by answering ads on Craigslist when employers had decided to hire their own temps)

I am on a permanent job that was supposed to be a temp to hire. There was an RH temp here that didn't work out, so they advertised the position on their own firm website. I had expressed an interest in the position when it was abeing handled through RH, but was told that it wouldn't be a good match. Well, they were wrong.

Thanks for pointing out that persons do a lot better when they apply for jobs on their own and not have THEIR time wasted by agency recruiters who don't kmow what they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Longmont, Colorado

84 months ago

upon my completion of my externship from my medical insurance Billing and Coding course, the career rep at the time was so excited that AcctTemps wanted me to come for an interview and possible placement.
I set up an interview time and day, and when I arrived for my appointment,the original rep was 'unavailable' and had me waiting for 20 minutes. The branch manager is who met with me and told me about this great opportunity that is a medical billing assignment. She did not give me the opportunity to turn it down or accept the assignment-she just told me to be at the assignment on Monday at 8am. She told me who I would be reporting to, but never told me exactly what the job entailed (by the way, the person I was supposed to be reporting to was never there in the time frame that I was assigned).
I had repeatedly called her to tell her that I was not happy at the assignment, and that it was not a billing job. It took approximately 2 weeks for anyone to get back with me to discuss a possible change in assignment. They told me that I had to just deal with the position and that there was no other billing jobs available. When I asked why they gave me the assignment, they claimed that it was with a billing company, but they had no control over what the assignment was for. I had asked why they claimed it to be a billing position, when in fact it was not-and they claimed that it was. Needless to say, I quit the temp agency and now am with Accounting Principles. I was immediately placed in a temporary assignment with them, but also have been on several interviews with companies that have inquired about my qualifications for permanent full time positions. The reps at Accounting Principles treat me with respect, courtesy, and professionalism. I never had that with AccTemps.

s_inSF in San Francisco, California

84 months ago

I worked two jobs for the Creative Group, and they submitted my materials to a number of companies for me. They checked in with me on a regular basis, and overall did an excellent job. I'm not saying they're perfect (nearly two months passed between jobs), but my recruiter always responded quickly to my emails, and everyone treated me with respect.

Getting the first gig with a recruiter is always the hardest, so I can understand why it seems like no one really works for these people. Truth is, however, that I did and I also have a friend who worked for them on a consistent basis. Her recommendation helped get me on the recruiter's radar, and once you're on their radar as a reliable employee, you're much more likely to get work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LivingLarge in Nashville, Tennessee

84 months ago

FYI, Robert Half's number one core value is "Ethics First." Secondly, what's at stake in the recruiting game??? Good recruiters make $125-250k+. You be the judge on ethical practices...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

The folks at Enron did pretty well too.

feedback Frank in Hickory, North Carolina

84 months ago

"This is spam as you have already expressed this opinion in another thread."

Name-calling is not nice.

Mr. Charlie: if you posted a response, place a link. If the complaint is old... some people watch reruns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steven Rappaport in Lewisville, Texas

77 months ago

I joined Robert Half, and within two days I had a job that pays $22/hr. I don't know what you're talking about, because they've been wonderful to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chelsey McGrath in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

I have personally had nothing but great results from the Robert Half recruiters in Chicago. When I was new to the area, I got lots of interviews and was able to choose between two jobs. My recruiter was so helpful because I was new to the area. She helped me find my way the millions of times I got lost, helped recommend a hotel, where to shop, where to eat. She was so sweet and helpful. But most importantly, she helped me get a job. Now I'm back on the hunt again and am using a recruiter in the city. He is great. I've had lots of interviews, just haven't nailed the right one yet. But he keeps finding me great opportunities. I don't know why anyone would look for a job the old-fashioned way. They make it so easy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie1004 in San Mateo, California

77 months ago

I'm in my fifties (horrors!) with 30 yrs total work experience. I've been placed on three professional mid-level management assignments, with less than a week between each, by RH since I was laid off from my regular full-time job two years ago. I have had absolutely no problems with Robert Half personnel.

What I have issues with are two other agencies that often call with "the perfect job," then fail to follow up with me. I don't waste my time with those for that reason. No commitment, no follow-up, no timely return of telephone calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.