Very important post - Robert Half & Age Discrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

None in Ashaway, Rhode Island

93 months ago

LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas

I am a former Robert Half manager too. They can't keep people in the seats past lunch. They are clueless in the legal staffing industry and think their accounttemps/officeteam model of 125 calls and 12 visits solves everything. It's all about gross margin profit and NEVER about the candidate. They practice age discrimination with a secret coding system called AIP -- Attitude, Intellect and Placeability. High is 1 low is 5. Passed out a sheet in a training seminar saying to grade someone as a "4" who was a "matured worker." A clue--job orders are 3 numbers and a dash like 111- if the next number is a "9" it is a fake job order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (93) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annoymous in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

I think you are totally right. They say I have great skills and they are all excited about me until they notice my age and then I don't hear from them again. I have to keep calling and calling and still no results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

I couldn't agree more. I've been listed with them on and off for over 10 years and they've sent me on exactly one interview in all that time. They give a big hype about all of the great jobs they have just to get you into their office so they can make their quotas. I won't even waste my time looking at their ads any more. And when I've gotten a temp from them, their skills were abominable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Columbus, Ohio in Columbus, Ohio

92 months ago

I interviewed with Robert Half several weeks ago for several legal positions they were advertising. The interviewer asked when I had graduated from college (I am 50) - since then I haven't heard from them even though I was well-qualified for the jobs. I don't look my age but I don't want to lie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

papamiller in Hilton, New York

92 months ago

And employers say they don't discriminate whether it be age, sex, religion, or race. Of course they won't admit to it, but they do. Problem, it's very difficult to prove; especially if your on the outside looking in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Reno, Nevada

91 months ago

Anonymous in Columbus, Ohio said: I interviewed with Robert Half several weeks ago for several legal positions they were advertising. The interviewer asked when I had graduated from college (I am 50) - since then I haven't heard from them even though I was well-qualified for the jobs. I don't look my age but I don't want to lie.

I also applied to Robert Half (RENO, NV) three years ago (then age 50) and they had the nerve to call me back to inform me that I "was not placable" due to lack of legal experience. Mind you, I worked in two of the world's largest lawfirms in Manhattan, 8 years in one and 4 years in another and have experience and skills that are above the normal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Plano, Texas

90 months ago

Want to hear a good one! I interviewed with Robert Half Management Resources in summer 2006. I have a Class C Misdemeanor "wreckless damage to car door" and was fined $250. Because their application asked if you were convicted with a felony or misdemeanor, I entered a check mark and explained the situation. Funny thing is this Class C doesn't even show up on my record when companies do background checks.

I worked 2 days as a Consultant for them in 2007. Fast forward to April 2007, Robert Half's legal department has verbally informed their offices that I cannot be placed by Robert Half either in a perm position or on a consulting basis.

I've sent an email to their Chief Operating Officer to request written documentation from their legal department. So far, Robert Half and ALL of their Associates have been pretty evasive about this issue.

Gee, I'm beginning to wonder if because I'm 51 years old, and female, if I'm getting "discriminated" in other ways. You think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Plano, Texas

90 months ago

Robert Half needs to go on the Dave Letterman Show for "Stupid Human tricks". I just received an email from Robert Half for a position with their company as a Recruiter.

Hey, I know it's past April Fool's Day, but I'm no fool. Robert Half Inc can put that where the sun don't shine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Morbert in Saint Paul, Minnesota

90 months ago

There is a new trick - at least to me it is new. The recruiter insists that you send 3 to 5 references with your resume. Your references get called and offered jobs and are not asked a single question about you. Then you never hear from the recruiter again.
Yes, yet another 53 year old that can not find work, too old to get a paycheck, yet young enough to have bills, that are now going unpaid.
Calling Robert Half must flash a "warning bad AIP" red light on their phones - if they accidentally answer it - they have never received a resume from me - even though I just sent one two hours ago. And they apparently have no outgoing phone lines, as they have never returned a call. Not saying they are the only ones who are this way - just that they are very consistent at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

I must say that the RHT rescuiting "manager" that I met with was very professional and did not discriminate against me for my age (49).He looked between 28 and 33 years old. He spent 1 hour going over my career history, likes and dislikes.He had 2 specific jobs for me, but had to convince the HR rep at the company to interview me. With that said, I still dont have a job and never even got an interview. The problem with these recruiters is that they let you slip between the cracks unless you ride them. Constantly. And I agree with Morbert about the phones. They dont answer their phones, nor do they reply to emails." Tooooo busy?" You have to call and get through receptionists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former Robert Half Employee (AZ) in Chester, Maryland

90 months ago

I wonder why they get away with this? I am in the process of filing a complaint against them with the EEOC.. I know 5 other employees who will join me. They need to shut them down. They are a disgrace to the staffing industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in St. Louis, MO in Saint Louis, Missouri

90 months ago

None in Ashaway, Rhode Island said: LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas

I am a former Robert Half manager too. They can't keep people in the seats past lunch. They are clueless in the legal staffing industry and think their accounttemps/officeteam model of 125 calls and 12 visits solves everything. It's all about gross margin profit and NEVER about the candidate. They practice age discrimination with a secret coding system called AIP -- Attitude, Intellect and Placeability. High is 1 low is 5. Passed out a sheet in a training seminar saying to grade someone as a "4" who was a "matured worker." A clue--job orders are 3 numbers and a dash like 111- if the next number is a "9" it is a fake job order.

REPLY: I know from experience that they post ads for job that don't exist. I'll start looking for the 9 in the job code. This job posting struck me as bogus anyway, because no company would pay $35 to $40 an hour for someone with only 2 years of benefits experience. Good to know about the age issue. Just hit 50 myself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denver in Denver, Colorado

89 months ago

It sounds like you have a great case for age discrimination. File with the EEOC. You can easily find them on line and fill out their form. They probably used the "offense" as an excuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marne in Littleton, CO in Littleton, Colorado

89 months ago

I interviewed w/RHL, in Denver, about 2 and one half months ago and have only heard from them for a $8.oo/hr job, not even in my paralegal field. I have not heard from them since I turned down this job. The woman that interviewed me was more impressed by telling me about her sister that just graduated from some downtown paralegal school within the top 10% of her class. Obviously my 3.393 GPA at ACC Paralegal School and BA from Univ. Of Denver didn't impress her since I am over 50. I agree that I think their paralegal job ads are fake. After all the interview process and tests, I asked about the job that I had orginally applied for and they said it was filled the previous week. Their ads are all over the internet- Career Builders, HotJobs, Google, CO Bar Assoc, Indeed, etc. All their jobs seem to resemble ones listed by the real law firms. I'm angry that I fell for their lies. I would be interested in learning more about their age discrimination problem and ways to stop them from insulting us older workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marne in Littleton, CO in Littleton, Colorado

89 months ago

Sorry mistype. My GPA is actually 3.93 from Arapahoe Community College Paralegal Program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Denver, Colorado

89 months ago

Marne in Littleton, CO in Littleton, Colorado said: Sorry mistype. My GPA is actually 3.93 from Arapahoe Community College Paralegal Program.

How do you like ACC? Do you think it's a good school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AMB in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

Annoymous in Los Angeles, California said: I think you are totally right. They say I have great skills and they are all excited about me until they notice my age and then I don't hear from them again. I have to keep calling and calling and still no results.

I, too, have the same experience with them (and some other agencies). "Gotta come meet us" and the like are the common responses. I'm wondering about their practices since they border on subtle discrimination.

My indirect experience with them is that they place woefully inadequate staff, but law firms love them due to their lower-than-market placement fees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AMB in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

Anonymous in Plano, Texas said: Want to hear a good one! I interviewed with Robert Half Management Resources in summer 2006. I have a Class C Misdemeanor "wreckless damage to car door" and was fined $250. Because their application asked if you were convicted with a felony or misdemeanor, I entered a check mark and explained the situation. Funny thing is this Class C doesn't even show up on my record when companies do background checks.

I worked 2 days as a Consultant for them in 2007. Fast forward to April 2007, Robert Half's legal department has verbally informed their offices that I cannot be placed by Robert Half either in a perm position or on a consulting basis.

I've sent an email to their Chief Operating Officer to request written documentation from their legal department. So far, Robert Half and ALL of their Associates have been pretty evasive about this issue.

Gee, I'm beginning to wonder if because I'm 51 years old, and female, if I'm getting "discriminated" in other ways. You think?

Sounds like a great case for anti-discrimination. Call that attorney!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

No charge to file a grievance in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

AMB in Washington, District of Columbia said: Sounds like a great case for anti-discrimination. Call that attorney!

Sure sounds like AGE discrimination to me. Contact your local EEOC office. There is NO charge to file a grievance and they will investigate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Bruceville, Texas

88 months ago

I cannot get damn reply back for a job offer with this company. And I hate Waco, TX and I want the government to shut down this City. I want to get a lawyer and I want to sued each business in Waco, TX. I want the reason why I was not hired for their jobs and I will get a laywer and I will sues every business. I want to sued L-3 and Mr. Joe Brett too. I want President Bush to shut down this town until I get a good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Fifty and Fabulous in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

David in Bruceville, Texas said: I cannot get damn reply back for a job offer with this company. And I hate Waco, TX and I want the government to shut down this City. I want to get a lawyer and I want to sued each business in Waco, TX. I want the reason why I was not hired for their jobs and I will get a laywer and I will sues every business. I want to sued L-3 and Mr. Joe Brett too. I want President Bush to shut down this town until I get a good job.

I think this posting is actually a Robert Half employee trying to make job candidates sound bad! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tyronne Jackson in Bridgeport, Connecticut

88 months ago

None in Ashaway, Rhode Island said: LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas

Age discrimination...... what about racial discrimination. Robert Half managers and trainers speak of ".... fitting into the Robert Half way of doing things and the Robert Half culture of speaking to customers and employees". I know of a particular circumstance where an employee was released and told point blank".... you do not 'fit-in' to the Robert Half culture" I have seen one particular office where the staff maximum was six and all six turned over in less than 5 months.

The Robert Half model is to treat employees as if they were on temporary assignments: New employees build relationships with clients, get there hours into level where they cannot be let go for cause, then RHI managers give the "you don't fit in speech" The residual, is that the employee has built a book a business that the "house" benefits from in an ongoing manner and then a new person is placed through the same process.

The company has to have the highest turnover in its competitive sector.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tyronne Jackson in Bridgeport, Connecticut

88 months ago

Former Robert Half Employee (AZ) in Chester, Maryland said: I wonder why they get away with this? I am in the process of filing a complaint against them with the EEOC.. I know 5 other employees who will join me. They need to shut them down. They are a disgrace to the staffing industry.

Count me in on the Suit (AZ), I with you all the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio

88 months ago

Annoymous in Los Angeles, California said: I think you are totally right. They say I have great skills and they are all excited about me until they notice my age and then I don't hear from them again. I have to keep calling and calling and still no results.

yes, I agree with everyone. They do not care for anyone over 40... They lie sooo much. I have talked to 5 people there and when I call, its alaways the same... We did not have anything but we will call you.. I do not understand how this agency stays in business... I never hear from them either. Is there a way that we can get them for age discrimation? I am glad i am not the only person. All this agencies are the same... They stink....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Albert in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

Go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission web page. Located on their page is information on age discrimination and how to file charges.

www.eeoc.gov/

John in Quincy, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Boo Hoo!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

CJM in Boca Raton, Florida

86 months ago

Florida

9 minutes ago
I've been reading many views from many people about the unethical practices of both recruiting companies and other corporate companies they have worked for or with. Unfortunately I have had the same experiences with MANY recruiting firms as well as employers. I am a professional woman in her fifties, and I have had OVER fifteen jobs in the last two years because I refuse to stay in jobs that I am forced to work for ruthless and unethical people. It is hard not to feel like a complete loser for not staying but I am at a point in my life that the stress is too costly. Reading some of these testimonials is sadly comforting. It seems to only way to combat the behavior in our corporate system is via litigation and I have now participated in numerous class action suits for various causes- and I have seen some positive results in the work place because of them. I used to shy away from such activities, but now feel that it is my way of contributing (by the way, I have received very little in the way of settlement money). I enjoy working and want to continue to work for a long time. If anyone out there knows of a good company in the financial industry to work for (and will hire someone over fifty) please let me know. Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

86 months ago

Just to add my opinion to this discussion... It is not age discrimination just because a person of a certain age is not hired. Age discrimination means there are NEVER any candidates hired who are of a certain age.

You would be hard pressed to prove that no person your age was ever hired through Robert Half.

If I hired only people near my age and refused to hire anyone younger than 40, THAT would be age discrimination. Actually I wish I could do that. I would make a bloody fortune.

I had never heard it before, but the slogan "Attitude, Intellect and Placeability" makes a ton of sense to me. Again, it has nothing intrinsic about it that refers to age. In any business, attitude is almost everything and from what I read in these forums the people who complain most about Robert Half seem to have a big failing in attitude that is very evident. Like the person who wanted a whole town wiped out or the entire business of Robert Half????? Definitely don't take that guy to court when you present your class action suit.

Also it isn't a good idea to lend much credence to a person who is a "former employee" of a company who now chops them down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

86 months ago

Sandra Millar in Coventry, United Kingdom said: I found Robert Half and its subsidiary Protiviti to be a very unprofessional company. I worked at Protiviti in London as their Government sector expert until April 2007. I was sacked for raising my concerns about the company's non-compliance with legislative requirements. I am now taking legal action and an employment tribunal is scheduled for October 2007. It seems that the company's publicity about high corporate governance standards was a smoke screen. As most of Protiviti's senior management are ex-Andersen partners you would have thought they'd learnt their lesson after the Enron affair.

Again spam This is the third iteration of the exact same message.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Accounting Manager in San Antonio, Texas

86 months ago

My company recently acquired an interim HR manager through them. The first candidate we selected worked one day and then disapeared of the face of the earth. Then we went with the less qualified candidate, who is a piece of work. One of the Admins applied for an open EA position. This interim HR person who bills themself as a Director, has gone to great lengths to bully and intimidate the internal candidate who is very qualified for the position. Is the eternal candidate a friend of mine -- no. I have worked with her on some company projects and have found her to be knowledgeable, very skilled and very professional. Something that is lacking in the interim HR manager from Robert Half.

The interim manager, has no regard for others, their positions or our CEO's time. This person, just shows up on a whim and expects the CEO and Executive Directors to accomodate them on a whim and without regard to other commitments. The Executive Assistants find this individual difficult to work with. This interim HR manager goes around them every opportunity. In addition, the interim HR manager has the internal candidate scheduled for a panel interview, but has not produced the "supposed" external candidates that are to be scheduled for the same type of interview. This interim HR manager refuses to go through corporate approval process as outline by corporate policy. To add to this the same interim HR manager, is trying to circumvent Robert Half and applied to the Specialized HR recruiting firm for the HR manager's position and believes that they can get around the buyout clause in the General Terms and Conditions with Robert Half. This person is doing this because the company made it clear they would not buy out their contract from Robert Half. I hope that the company does to same to this interim HR Manager as this person is doing to the internal EA candidate.

tp in El Segundo, California

86 months ago

Anonymous in Los Angeles, California said: I couldn't agree more. I've been listed with them on and off for over 10 years and they've sent me on exactly one interview in all that time. They give a big hype about all of the great jobs they have just to get you into their office so they can make their quotas. I won't even waste my time looking at their ads any more. And when I've gotten a temp from them, their skills were abominable.

You are absolutely right. They told to come to their office with formal address code. After one hour of interview with the recruiter, she ended the conversion with "We don't have a position for you but if you know anybody is hiring please let me know." I left saying "what the f*&*^"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron Mexico in Calabasas, California

86 months ago

Dear Geniuses-

First of all - I don't support RHI or their hiring practices at all. As with all staffing industry firms, they are highly aggressive, will probe your professional references for candidate & client leads, & most of the time (90%) will be unsuccessful in fufulling the candidates employment needs. Anyone who doesn't understand these underlying facts about the industry needs to. Most candidates feel as though they are entitled to service "above & beyond" the ordinary if they spent an hour or two to fill out some paperwork or meet with a recruiter. I think once people meet with the recruiter, they tend to take a step back and lose their initiative, all the while bemoaning the recruiter when he fails to produce. Some people are just NOT feeworthy - that is, a company is NOT going to shell out 25k for a placement fee. When companies are willing to pay top dollar for a new employee, do you really think they want some guy in his 50's who's going to work 3 more strong years until his o-ring blows out and he triples the premiums on your companies already strained health insurance budget?

So, that being said - As for age discrimination - I do think it exists, but it's coming from the CLIENT, not the agency. NO, I'm not letting sleazy staffing firms off the hook but put yourselves in the shoes of a hiring manager for a second. If you are the CEO/CFO of a small to medium sized, somewhat profitbale organization do you really want to PAY to take on the risk of hiring someone who's such a financial risk/burden? If he's truly the best candidate - then by all means, hire them. Of course when it doesn't work out...it's age discrimination. Call your local lawyer from the yellow pages at the 7-11. That's America for you, like it or NOT!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tricky dick in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

Any esperience with these guys in Pasadena, CA? I suspect I was called in for a fake job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anna in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Former Robert Half Employee (AZ) in Chester, Maryland said: I wonder why they get away with this? I am in the process of filing a complaint against them with the EEOC.. I know 5 other employees who will join me. They need to shut them down. They are a disgrace to the staffing industry.

i'm also filing a compliant, and want to sue them for some other issues. Manager there don't practice what they preach. I got fired for asking way too any ethical questions and processes. those who feel that this needs to be address, please get in touch w/ me.

sesmania33 in Texas

85 months ago

I have 20 years in accounting but was told that because I do not have a degree there is nothing available for me. Then I ask about the positions that do not require an accounting degree and was told that because I have been in college for three years an employeed as a medical clerk, I have been "out of accounting" so would really be hard to sell. They then called me about a position with the division that are professional temps filling in on positions while full time employees are on leave, but before i could keep the appointment they fired the recruiter. I am not impressed but how do they get so many listings?

Frustrated with RHI in San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

Robert Half Management Resourcs has a very agressive rep who placed an interim manager with our company. We told the rep up front that we would not consider hiring to fill this position through their agency. Plus we were looking for someone to do some short term projects until the Executive Search firm we hired did the real search. The rep ignored this information, we restated it to the individual they placed and she ignored it. What is occuring now is the temp manager is trying to go around the agency and the agency is trying to pressure us into hiring the temp by stating she has the fab offer and must make a decision soon. Well the temp was released from her assignment with us end of August the agency is still calling with this story. We hired for this position already and the temp isinternal candidate who is very qualified for the position. Is the eternal candidate a friend of mine -- no. I have worked with her on some company projects and have found her to be knowledgeable, very skilled and very professional. Something that is lacking in the interim HR manager from Robert Half.

The interim manager, has no regard for others, their positions or our CEO's time. This person, just shows up on a whim and expects the CEO and Executive Directors to accomodate them on a whim and without regard to other commitments. The Executive Assistants find this individual difficult to work with. This interim HR manager goes around them every opportunity. In addition, the interim HR manager has the internal candidate scheduled for a panel interview, but has not produced the "supposed" external candidates that are to be scheduled for the same type of interview. This interim HR manager refuses to go through corporate approval process as outline by corporate policy. To add to this the same interim HR manager, is sending gifts to others in the company and calling all the time to find out if we will hire her. We have no interst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CPArobbins in Centreville, Maryland

82 months ago

Interested in speaking with you because you are in Chester, MD. I am in Centreville, MD and have been offered a job as account executive with Robert Half Management Resources in Baltimore. My email address is cparobbins AT atlanticbb DOT net. Thanks. Michele

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DeeAnna Cavinee in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe they use one particularly cruel practice of calling about a placement and then calling back within a day or so to tell you that it has been cancelled because the employer "decided they could do it in-house" or "didn't have a trainer available"

If that sounds familiar to anyone else, I would like to hear from them.

Also, I would like to know if anyone has had success in filing local, state or national job discrimination charges against them.

Anne in Denver, Colorado

80 months ago

sesmania33 in Texas said: I have 20 years in accounting but was told that because I do not have a degree there is nothing available for me.

That is the lamest excuse I've heard! What a bunch of idiots. 20 years experience is way more valuable than a degree and NO experience! They get people in then creatively use any excuse they can find because they don't have many jobs in. All they have to do is find a few companies who will use them on a regular basis for temping and they can pay their bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

80 months ago

Check out craigs list for jobs too. And contact small companies directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

richie in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

They called me for interview. The client was to make a decision in the next 3 days. Others already interviewed I was told. No I didn't get hired. I asked to get the name of the company several times in the next few weeks but never got a reply. Was this a fake job? Also interviewer asked for names of several past supervisors. Just trying to get other contact leads? Age discrimination? I'm up there and hair is 90% gray?

Contact me for more details.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

80 months ago

Robert Half posted over 4,000 NEW JOBS in the Chicago area! I guess there's no recession, huh?

How can anyone believe they don't post fake jobs?!

This is such bogus false advertising it's not even funny!

On Careerbuilder:

4,185 jobs
Show me: Closest jobs first | Relevant jobs first | Newest jobs first Search Again Advanced Search Keywords: Location: Posted within: Last 30 Days Last 7 Days Last 3 Days Last 24 Hours

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Accounting Acquisition Agent in Gahanna, Ohio

79 months ago

You are right on point with all this,,,,,

I can say that Age Discrimination is an industry practice in all professions,,,,,legal/financial etc....it should come as no real surprise.

At best it's about developing your own skill set and utilizing them to the fullest outside of the entity that you like to call home. Besides when you work for someone you never really develop up to your potential, becasue they control all the resources.

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

79 months ago

Accounting Acquisition Agent in Gahanna, Ohio said: You are right on point with all this,,,,,

I can say that Age Discrimination is an industry practice in all professions,,,,,legal/financial etc....it should come as no real surprise.

At best it's about developing your own skill set and utilizing them to the fullest outside of the entity that you like to call home. Besides when you work for someone you never really develop up to your potential, becasue they control all the resources.

That sounds very victim like. You are the only one who can increase your skill set. :) If you are truly being prevented from moving ahead, you must look around to other companies who will promote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tony George in Vancouver, Washington

76 months ago

Morbert in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: There is a new trick - at least to me it is new. The recruiter insists that you send 3 to 5 references with your resume. Your references get called and offered jobs and are not asked a single question about you. Then you never hear from the recruiter again.
Yes, yet another 53 year old that can not find work, too old to get a paycheck, yet young enough to have bills, that are now going unpaid.
Calling Robert Half must flash a "warning bad AIP" red light on their phones - if they accidentally answer it - they have never received a resume from me - even though I just sent one two hours ago. And they apparently have no outgoing phone lines, as they have never returned a call. Not saying they are the only ones who are this way - just that they are very consistent at it.

This is a neat trick. All my references are past employers and good friends. I would hear about this tactic in a second! So far, nope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tony George in Vancouver, Washington

76 months ago

Albert in Elyria, Ohio said: Go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission web page. Located on their page is information on age discrimination and how to file charges.

www.eeoc.gov/

Albert, this is a worthless post. EEOC regulations are covered in business law classes at every worthy university in the US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous Halfer in US

76 months ago

I certainly don't hope to "set the record straight" with this post; it's obvious folks posting here have strong opinions about RHI. I speak for myself and my experience as an RHI employee.
I've been with the firm for 5+ years, as a producer and a manager. Personally, I conduct myself with our "Ethics First" motto in mind at all times, and expect each member of my staff to do the same. I don't post fake jobs. I am honest with candidates about their qualifications. I give advice on resumes. I return all my voicemails. I work VERY HARD to make good matches on behalf of my candidates AND my clients, because no one side is more important than the other. I do ask candidates about where they've been temping; it's only common sense. But I don't fill my interview rooms just for the sake of getting competitive information; my time is too valuable for that. I don't undercut my candidates' pay rates. And check it out- I'm one of the most successful people in the district.
I encourage all job seekers here to recognize that working with a staffing agency is only ONE avenue of a job search, and while it can be a very valuable one, it's important to take responsibility for your own actions. On the temporary side, to be blunt, WE DON'T MAKE ANY MONEY IF YOU'RE SITTING AT HOME. So it is in our best financial interest to place you out to work as soon as possible, but you have to do your part and stay in touch with us, keep your skills fresh, and show some flexibility on pay rates/commutes/hours/responsibilities so that we can help you. On the permanent side, a candidate needs to be a DEAD HIT for a job, or a company isn't going to pay us tens of thousands of dollars for finding him/her. That's how the business works.
Again, I know that this isn't going to alleviate any pain that has already been felt by the angry, but also incredibly defensive, folks who've posted here. I do hope that folks who have begun the registration process read this and decide to walk in with an open mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ajhilburn in Anderson, South Carolina

75 months ago

In response to the anonymous Halfer in the US, the 5+ year producer/manager....

I walked in with the open mind. I was contacted by RHT via my resume on Monster. They initiated the contact. I went to their office in Greenville, interviewed for the job they called me about. Three months later I got an interview. During those three months of waiting they kept telling me they were having problems reaching the client and they also changed the recruiter handling my resume. Then, when I did interview with the client (twice), they gave me a tentative start date. Two days before the date I received a call from my recruiter saying that they have chosen to not proceed with filling the position. That was it. No explanation.

So, with my open mind, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, I asked them to continue to keep me in mind for future positions.

Two weeks ago I received a phone call from the same recruiter. He told me about the job and asked to submit my resume. I agreed and he said he would call me shortly with an interview date. Two days later he called me and said I had the job. No interview, just go to work. Of course I got very excited and began to make the necessary arrangements through my husbands work to be sure our children would have the needed childcare. My husband had his schedule rearranged to accommodate my new job. Two hours later the recruiter called me back and said they changed their mind and wanted a phone interview that afternoon. I agreed and the phone interview went very well. I got the job and was to start the following Friday.

Continued in next post.....

ajhilburn in Anderson, South Carolina

75 months ago

Continued from my previous post...

I arrived at my first day at work and enjoyed it. I left knowing I had done a good job and was looking forward to my new career. Monday morning I proceeded into work only to receive a phone call from my recruiter. I had to pull over on the side of the road because he was telling me that I had lost the job. He informed me that the client thought I had more Joomla (a programming platform) experience than I did and that he didn't have time to teach me.

The recruiter failed to convey to the client that I was a novice at Joomla. That lack of information cost me my job. To add insult to injury, I have had to practically rip my paycheck from their hands.

I received a call two days after loosing my job from the recruiter. He said that my payroll information had been shredded and that I needed to come in an fill out more paperwork. I informed him that it was his error and they needed to fix it. I told him that I didn't have a job (duhh) and didn't have the money to come in to them (45 miles away). I told him I would call him back when I had calmed down. I called back 30 minutes later and spoke to his supervisor. His supervisor checked with payroll and came back to the phone to tell me that the previous recruiter had made an error and that my information had not been shredded. He apologized for the mistake and assured me that my time card was being processed. I received my paycheck this morning, almost a full week late.

I will NEVER work with RHT again. I will advise all I know to not work with RHT. I am considering a strongly worded letter to the president of the company.

In conclusion, all I got for my "open mind" were two headaches and my place back in the unemployment line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

K_Rising in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

I've worked with and produced for Accountemps in the 90's.

Not for RHI but I've done quite a bit of
contracting.

I've got a 30 yr old felony for drugs, and some other petty offenses which I served my time for.

When I talked with RHI for legal consulting jobs, they acted totally unprepared/unprofessional. After I told my first recruiter the details of my ancient background, she was replaced by another recruiter who told me "we'll have to check with our legal dept. for advice on this, we'll let you know".

Well, I wasn't born at night, but if I was it wouldn't have been last night!

Many agencies have no policy on how to handle this, or no training. Some are so fearful of harming client relations with news that they are presenting a 'felon', that they simply don't call back or offer excuses for no contact.

The age discrimination is real, but its a societal problem. When alleged 'HR professionals' figure out that there golden goose baby boomer generation are all now over forty they'll change the 1970s and 80s hiring model they follow.

The responsibility to buy into the concept that an experienced worker between the ages of 40-65, has alot more to offer and many benefits, has to be shared by the decision maker/clients too.

This is about growing out of old outdated thinking, fear-driven.

I'm presently working a contract job through my regular employer who subcontracted us in our usual capacity as inventory takers (counters), to a large home-do-it-yourself warehouse to monitor accuracy with their new logistics partner. We also update our audit info into Access, and Excel, which isn't a prereq to work for my employer. But our client had a temp doing that, until they realized I could do it, better and faster.

I am now performing work for at least $5 hr less than I would have been contracted for with a real agency. I do still contract on the side.

My feeling on this age issue, is that many headhunters don't do what I do and are clueless. Bra

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.