Rothstein Kass News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Rothstein Kass stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

grey melwhore in Millburn, New Jersey

94 months ago

I can't speak for other offices of Rothstein Kass, but I can tell you that there are a lot of unhappy people in the Roseland, NJ office. Rothstein Kass does a very poor job in keeping its support staff happy. I know that all of the departments that help Rothstein Kass-the business- run suffer. Recently, I heard that a Rothstein Kass admin who was a word processor for over 28 years was told on a Tuesday that she had to be out of there by Friday of that week. Evidently she made a mistake that couldnt be forgiven. Instead of reprimanding their 28 year veteran the firm's top leader told her to be "out" by friday of that week. She received no serverence - nothing. Her fellow admin staff bought her a cake. This was a terrible way to treat a 28 yr firm veteran. They have no loyalty to their staff at Rothstein Kass. They offered her no severance package. It was really the sleaziest thing I have heard about from there.

I heard last year there was a problem with the new marketing director and the entire marketing staff marched down to the head partner's office to complain. They documented harrassment and incompetence. The head partner - who incidently hired the marketing director-told the marketing team to put up and shut up - despite their complaints. Two of the main people on the marketing team left Rothstein Kass for greener pastures. I know that there marketing team had won awards for their work. Its a shame that the firm's leadership didnt see value in keeping their awarding winning team or letting a firm veteran ride out with a severance package.

The IT team there can't stand the place and the finance team are overworked and underpaid because they refuse to hire new people. The firm has increased its revenues by 50% over the last few years and they have the same number of people handling its finances. They are not very savvy when it comes to human capital.

Rothstein Kass is not a great place to work. If you want to work in a place that you have to wo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

EX-RK in Summit, New Jersey

92 months ago

WARNING DONT WORK AT THIS CRAPPY COMPANY. They have an AT-WIll clause they make you sign and they USE IT. They fire people there without warning -even if you are a good employee. You can get totally blind-sided. The managing partner of the firm and HR director have no idea what they are doing with regard to employee relations. Many good workers have been fired this year because someone just doesn't like someone.

SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE DONT WORK THERE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

n/a

92 months ago

What was so bad and unforgivable that they let her go after 28 years? I have an interview with them and now from reading all these comments, it's like my last job all over again and I don't want repeat experiences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-RK2 in Summit, New Jersey

92 months ago

The woman who was let go after 28 years didnt do anything unforgivable - it was just a mistake she made. She didn't deserve to be fired with 3 days notice. I heard she was brought into the lead partner's office on Tuesday and was told to be out of there by Friday. It was very cold. They offered her no package to leave or anything. It was cruel and no one deserves that.

They do not hesitate to fire people -without notice. Most of the department leaders have no clue how to lead. I heard one girl in the marketing department started and was provided no information about what she would be doing. She was overheard saying on her second day that she wish had some "direction and structure" . That is so bad!

Save yourself the trouble and work for a place that actually abides by the information they sell to new employees. Go to a larger firm - this firm has bad leadership.

Did I mention that if they give you a reimbursement for adoptions one year and a year later you resign - they ask for the reimbursement back? These people are dirty. The RK benefits are only good for the people who stay and suffer. They don't care to keep relationships with departing employees... although they say they do- its crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappy ex employee in Newton, New Jersey

92 months ago

Rothstein Kass used to be a good firm. But new management has taken over and things have gone downhill quickly. They look good on paper. Reality is another deal. If you are an accountant for Rothstein Kass and enjoy minimum 60-70 hour work weeks you might do ok. I'm glad I'm out of Rothstein Kass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New Jersey

91 months ago

Well, one good thing, they have the courtesy to send you a rejection letter if your not a good candidate ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Good Riddens Rothstein Kass in Kearny, New Jersey

91 months ago

Allegedly, Rothstein Kass does not reject people because they are not a good candidate. Rothstein Kass probably rejected you because you did not fit the Rothstein Kass profile of what they like. Since men hire over there, they have a particular look they like- Tall leggy, blondes or brunettes. Very thin figures etc. For men it's different - they don't look at appearance as much. It doesnt help that Rothstein Kass' HR department is allegedly inadequate at best. Don't feel bad!

If Rothstein Kass rejected you - you are probably too good for them anyway. All Rothstein Kass does is hire a bunch of people who are mindless idiots. All of the good people Rothstein Kass had are leaving or have left. Rothstein Kass has lost several key managers and senior managers over the last 6 months. Again with women - if you don't look like a super model - they reject you.

Allegedly, a Rothstein Kass partner was overheard one day saying "I only want hot girls working here." That is disgusting...

In the end -you should pass on a job with Rothstein Kass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rothstein Kass Manager in Kearny, New Jersey

91 months ago

Last summer Rothstein Kass managers were promised to be included in the spring bonuses. It is almost july and no bonuses have been discussed or offered. I heard someone asked the Rothstein Kass HR department when the bonuses would be distributed, I heard the response was "maybe in July." I think that this was a poor response from a Rothstein Kass HR person. Rothstein Kass does not follow through on its promises.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Curren RK employee in Newark, New Jersey

91 months ago

Notice that the comments are from former RK (disgruntled) employees that believe in and spread rumors.

This firm has been ranked one of the best employers in NJ for the past two years. Close to 800 people work for RK nationwide... that's up 50% since January of 2005. How would you explain that type of growth if people were not happy there?

I could go on and on about this...

From a current RK employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

LL in Anaheim, California

91 months ago

Good Riddens Rothstein Kass in Kearny, New Jersey said: Allegedly, Rothstein Kass does not reject people because they are not a good candidate. Rothstein Kass probably rejected you because you did not fit the Rothstein Kass profile of what they like. Since men hire over there, they have a particular look they like- Tall leggy, blondes or brunettes. Very thin figures etc. For men it's different - they don't look at appearance as much. It doesnt help that Rothstein Kass' HR department is allegedly inadequate at best. Don't feel bad!

If Rothstein Kass rejected you - you are probably too good for them anyway. All Rothstein Kass does is hire a bunch of people who are mindless idiots. All of the good people Rothstein Kass had are leaving or have left. Rothstein Kass has lost several key managers and senior managers over the last 6 months. Again with women - if you don't look like a super model - they reject you.

Allegedly, a Rothstein Kass partner was overheard one day saying "I only want hot girls working here." That is disgusting...

I've looked at their web site. Their principals are all white males , few white women. They probably discriminate as hell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Current Rothstein Kass Accountant in Secaucus, New Jersey

91 months ago

Disgruntled or not these comments are troubling. Best places to work recognitions are mostly bogus anyway - Companies get the recognition from cookie cutter questionnaires. It says nothing about what it is like to work at the Rothstein Kass. Yes some people are happy at Rothstein Kass but many people are not. They are losing a lot of manager level accounting staff there. I hear partners are not happy either. Look at one point Rothstein Kass was a great place to work. Now Rothstein Kass is just a firm that boasts about being a great place.

FYI - the comments above the best places recognitions are probably from someone in HR at Rothstein Kass. It is just hype.

Ask yourself this question - why are people so disgruntled to write on this message board? They must be really incensed about how they were treated at Rothstein Kass.

Regarding your comment about white men and a few white women - good observation. White men run the place. They allegedly have no GLBT programs at Rothstein Kass in place either - they are conservative in that sense.

Look there are female and male managers at Rothstein Kass who are good/smart accountants who are desperately waiting to make Partner - they are passed over each year allegedly because they don't fit the profile etc. of how a partner there shld look. A few actually have the left the firm for greener pastures.

dont believe the bogus recognitions....

Anyone looking for a job can do better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rothstein Kass Updater in Secaucus, New Jersey

90 months ago

Just learned that Rothstein Kass allegedly lost close to 60 people in three months. Allegedly, Rothstein Kass went from 800 people in March 2007 to just under 740 people this June. I hear Rothstein Kass got rid of a lot of the people they don't need right after tax season. You never know if your number will be called. Several tax managers and senior managers also departed Rothstein Kass recently for a better career. Rothstein Kass is also getting cheap, making some people get approval for overtime.

Don't bother working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Realistic Employee at RK in Montclair, New Jersey

89 months ago

Unhappy ex employee in Newton, New Jersey said: Rothstein Kass used to be a good firm. But new management has taken over and things have gone downhill quickly. They look good on paper. Reality is another deal. If you are an accountant for Rothstein Kass and enjoy minimum 60-70 hour work weeks you might do ok. I'm glad I'm out of Rothstein Kass.

Not only is the new management better than the old one, but people are as happy at RK as they would be at any public accountng firm. If anyone thinks that public accounting is fun and games, they need a reality check. The firm is a good place to be at and several of the people who left wish they didn't. It's too bad that the grass is always greener.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Realistic Employee at RK in Montclair, New Jersey

89 months ago

EX-RK in Summit, New Jersey said: WARNING DONT WORK AT THIS CRAPPY COMPANY. They have an AT-WIll clause they make you sign and they USE IT. They fire people there without warning -even if you are a good employee. You can get totally blind-sided. The managing partner of the firm and HR director have no idea what they are doing with regard to employee relations. Many good workers have been fired this year because someone just doesn't like someone.

SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE DONT WORK THERE.

Don't you know that the at will clause is common business practice these days? Unfortunately, no employment is "for life" but I do agree that there were times when some individuals were let go without a just cause, but I guess that happens everywhere.

Fearful Rothstein Kass Employee in New York, New York

87 months ago

I just found this forum while seaching in google and I really think some of the nicer comments here are from Rothstein Kass Human Resources staff doing damage control. They do not sound real and I concur with the comments from ex- Rothstein Kass employees.

Everyday could be your last day at Rothstein Kass. I have never worked for a place where you actually feel like could be fired at any moment - without reason. A lot of people feel this way at Rothstein Kass. I am actively looking for new employment because it is not a place to feel safe. Yes, you can be fired from any job - but to actually know it and feel it everyday....it is unnerving. Even though I am a good employee here at Rothstein Kass and do tremendous work - I feel still the axe could come down. I have seen it happen among professional staff and administrative staff at Rothstein Kass.

Despite what you may have heard or what they put out in the market place - ROTHSTEIN KASS IS NOT THE BEST PLACE TO WORK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spponer in Clinton, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Rothstein Kass has a horrible system for evaluating employees, something not even heard of in any other company. They get about half of the staff of the company in a large room, put up every single employees picture one by one on a large projector and take a few minutes to talk negatively about every person. Nothing is evaluated on a job by job basis, but as a whole. Its very unfortunate for the employee's that are being evaluated who's boss is not there that day, or have a shy supervisor who does not want to be outspoken by another person in that room that day. Then Rothstein Kass will pick 3 people who is above you but worked on the same client as you and do a very vague questionaire. Very unfair, because HR has no idea on who works with who. Friends give other friends great evaluations, or employees who barely worked with other employees give evaluations on a no clue basis. If someone who is evaluating you that you worked with even once and had a bad experience with you are screwed. The system is horrible and employee moral is down with that. A few employees got screwed from this system that should have not. Thats all I can say about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

scaredone in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

I have an interview soon and this has been very helpful. I will make sure to address these questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New Jersey Guy in Roseland, New Jersey

80 months ago

Rothstein Kass isnt a bad company to work for. The work enviroment is very friendly. They try very hard to please all the employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Truthful in Elizabeth, New Jersey

80 months ago

Rothstein Kass can be a very good or a very bad place to work at, depending on who you know and whom you are working for. They are a larger size firm with a small size firm mentality, they have a lot of learning to do, as far as how to treat people, etc. So while I do not discourage people from going there, I would say good luck as you will really need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Looking out 4 U in New York, New York

79 months ago

RK is still at it... Word on the street is they will always be in the same situation with people. They can never dig themselves out of the hole which they are buried in. Truthful; you should discourage people from going there. It is such a clicky, cut-throat atmosphere. Especially when they let the fat a$$ admin. become a so-called billing manager. What a joke that is. The hard working staff doesn't move up because they are too busy working hard without recognition.

79 months ago

They certainely are very clicky, especially in the tax department, which I just don't get! So if you so happen to be part of the click, you're great and can do no wrong, but if you're just a hard-working quiet person, you're no good! The other evil they now have is a that b in the tax department, she can do no wrong because she's always up a principal's you know what! Her peers hate her and have complained about her, but she's good at what she does, so they let her misbehave!

Looking for New Opportunities in Springfield, New Jersey

79 months ago

I'm currently looking to change jobs and this firm is on my list, but I am now concerned and wondering if it even makes sense for me to even consider them. A friend of mine said that they may be good, but she hasn't been there for years. I am particularly interested in finding out about the tax department, since that's my area of expertise. Do they have good managers/senior managers and principals that will be helpful to me? I am a manager at a smaller firm and imaginge that I would come in as a supervisor/senior so it is really imprtant to me to have good people on the top that know their stuff. I am not interested in the hedge fund stuff so my question is about the regular industry practice. Your comments will be appreiated.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Current RK employee in South Orange, New Jersey

79 months ago

Listen... The firm has grown from 80 to 900 people in less than ten years. They are going through growing pains but there are a lot of great people there to work with and work for. There is plenty of opportunities for everyone. The thing is, you need to be proactive.

I love reading comments from disgruntled (current or former) employees who apparently think that there is no politics anywhere. If you are unhappy wherever you are, then move on!!!! Get another job, start your own CPA practice! Just remember that negative thinking will not get you anywhere.

To the person who is currently looking to change jobs, there is new leadership in our commercial tax group and this guy is fantastic. Please come in for an interview. Make your own decision when you meet with people that actually care and make this firm successful.

Looking for New Opportunities in Springfield, New Jersey

79 months ago

Current RK employee in South Orange, New Jersey said: Listen... The firm has grown from 80 to 900 people in less than ten years. They are going through growing pains but there are a lot of great people there to work with and work for. There is plenty of opportunities for everyone. The thing is, you need to be proactive.

I love reading comments from disgruntled (current or former) employees who apparently think that there is no politics anywhere. If you are unhappy wherever you are, then move on!!!! Get another job, start your own CPA practice! Just remember that negative thinking will not get you anywhere.

To the person who is currently looking to change jobs, there is new leadership in our commercial tax group and this guy is fantastic. Please come in for an interview. Make your own decision when you meet with people that actually care and make this firm successful.

Thanks for the reply. I actually didn't hear too many good things about the new management, but I'll still give it a shot. You're right, I need to come and see things things for myself.

79 months ago

The truth is that the tax department is getting worse and they know it! They're grossly understaffed and people are either miserable, lost or over confident. The biggest problem is that the tax department is run by a bunch of underqualified individuals that need to know that "BALANCE" does really exist in other places and may actually be getting properly implemented there! HR is always trying to sugar code everything and it is just so damn obvious!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Current RK employee in Newark, New Jersey

79 months ago

Just so everyone knows, I'm not from HR. If you're unhappy wherever you are, then move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RK Employee in New Jersey

79 months ago

Hello all,
I just stumbled across this website in Google. I am a current employee at RK and have been an employee for over 5 years now. I am part of the Management team at RK working in the Hedge Fund area (not HR). There are alot of interesting comments and allegations on this site. Most of the negatives are from ex-employees and alot of "allegedly" and "I heard" comments. There are also some very true comments on this site.

I am not replying to promote or put down RK only to offer a voice of reason to these comments for any potential candidates (experienced or fresh out of college) so that they may give RK a chance in their career explorations.

RK has grown at a rapid pace in the last 10 years (my entire career). We have seen a boom in the hedge fund world which created a calling for a large part of our practice. We are constantly evolving, 3 years ago we sold off 250 employees and 1/3 of our business to Bisys (ie. our Administartive Business) and we have rebounded and are working at better days. RK has it's good and bad points like every business in the world. We all cannot be Google or Microsoft and offer our employees everything, however I think (as an employee and part of Management) that RK is trying every day and learning from their mistakes. They are weeding out the bad apples (so to say) some of you may have been on this site and may have been a bit disgruntled. Yes our employees (including myself) work very hard, sometimes 60/70 hours minimum in a week yet we are also blessed with 7 weeks of vacation for staff and seniors and 5 weeks of vacation for management (find me a firm that does that, not too many) and they also pay you out for that time if you do not use it all. RK does not hold back overtime (I saw that comment, no way, we have tons of work, this year was an interesting one due to budgeting changes that we all acknowleded were not perfect and therefore we could of taken on more business). I will continue, running out of spac

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

To continue...RK is evolving and growing day by day. We have offices in many of the largest metro areas in the country (NYC, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Dallas, Denver, etc.) and not coincidentally near many concentrated Hedge Fund spots. There are constant changes in benefits, yes moral appears to be down and I believe that is due to a change in the attitude of the average student coming out of college. They want it all and let's be honest, not many firms can offer that. As accountants, we have to work hard to get that license and work hard to climb the ladder so that we can earn that salary that we all want. RK appears to be a boys club on paper, however we have 7 female partners now and there are things in motion that are helping to change the view of that. As a Manager I can tell you that over half of my staff and seniors are Female and we know this and acknowledge that we need to retain the Female population. We need to adapt our Benefits so that Females can continue to work at RK, anyone who has been an employee of RK in the last 2-3 years knows all about CWA (Customized WOrk Assignments) where you can work with HR to figure out a situation that works for all so that you can work from home or remotely as well as work 2-3 days in the office allowing you to have children or take care of a sick one. RK is trying and that's what I'm trying to get across. All these disgruntled employees chose to move on, but realistically we are bigger and stronger then ever and the comments I read on this site made me a bit dissappointed knowing that future candidates may read this and not get the best picture of what RK is. I have found a great place at RK, whether I or a family member was sick, they have never blinked an eye if I had a family issue to deal with. I know RK has it's issues like any other firm, however I think that we all need to be realistic and acknowledge that this firm can offer you a good career choice, continue...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Continued...RK is changing every day and trying to make the firm better for all. They want to make the employees happy and retain them as long as possible by doing so. We recently had an alumni event with over 200 people in attendance. It was great to see the old faces as many have come and gone. It says something that so many chose to show up because for many of those who came, when they left they may have not left under the best circumstances and they have gone on and seen the differences. RK is a family and if you choose to give us a shot I think you'll see it as so many have. We are all not White Males, sitting in offices, in power suits, there are many people that are different, culturally and religiously, where we come from, what we do on the weekends and if you give RK a chance and come for that interview/office tour you'll see that it is a large firm with many different layers of people. We have employees who live next door to us and we have employees that live in other states and choose to commute over 2 hours each way every day so I think that says alot about a firm. You will find good and bad points anywhere you go but all in all, RK is trying and learning each day. We need employees who will voice their concerns not hide behind a username on some website which many have never heard of. If you are thinking about a change of Firms or applying for the first time, I wish you the best in your decision and sincerely hope you give RK a shot and you'll see through the interviews with many different people and the office tours that we are good people and we do work hard and we are all different and that is what makes RK a good place to work. I hope the negative comments on this site do not prevent candidates from giving RK a shot and potentially affecting a great career opportunity that RK can offer and that was my reasoning for responding to the many comments I read on this site. Good luck to all,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Why don't you reveal your real identity "RK Employee"? You're not all males, but mostly white males or "young and attractive" females that run the show and if you are that lucky female, you do exactly what the big bad white boys want you to do (so essentially you're just a nice marketing tool for them to promote their fake "diverse/women friendly" culture). While this is probably typical (unfortunately) in most accounting firms (meaning that RK is not much worse than most in this area), there is no need for you to paint a prettier picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Current RK employee in Florham Park, New Jersey

78 months ago

We just launched a woman's initiative last October. It's new and not fake. It takes a long time to make a difference. Anyway, I will tell our women principals that they are young and attractive. They will appreciate this comment! Thank you...

By the way, although it is true that most are principals (not partners) are white, we do have some diversity... Please go back to our website and check for yourself. While you are on the internet, check the website of other large regional firms, like RK, and you'll see the same story (i.e., mostly white male partners)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

RK has many programs that look good on paper, it all looks great (that's how they make the top companies to work for list every year, by having these nice programs), but the reality is not exactly that. We all know several unfortunate incidents where they haven't been all that nice to women, as a matter of fact, they've been really nasty to some women and continue to do so and then they turn around and claim "BALANCE" or "LIFE", all nothing but very good PR (and I'm being polite here)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fearful Rothstein Kass Employee in New York, New York

78 months ago

Rothstein Kass is up to its old tricks. FYI - the Rothstein Kass Women's Intiative is meaningless. Word is that a female manager was promised to be made partner this year and management broke its promise and didnt promote her. So now they are letting her go. Everyone at the office knows...

Rothstein Kass is ruthless!

And to the sad pathetic individuals posting as "RK Employee New Jersey" and "Current RK Employee in Florham Park" who are desperately trying to defend this sorry firm -- it reads as propaganda and you are doing more harm than good by fueling the fire of the people who know what is really going on at Rothstein Kass.

The people who read this forum know that you just didnt "stumble" on this site, but instead were asked to put up glowing comments. Nice effort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Well said, I can't agree any more! The female who was promised principal is not the only one they're toying with right now and to cover up, they're promoting unqualified females this year, jus to try and play nice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Current RK employee in Newark, New Jersey

78 months ago

To Fearful Rothstein Kass Employee in New York, I have one question: why are you still at RK if you do not like the firm? Better. If you do find a firm that you like, please do share... We are all interested, here.

JoeAuditor in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Curren RK employee in Newark, New Jersey said: Notice that the comments are from former RK (disgruntled) employees that believe in and spread rumors.

This firm has been ranked one of the best employers in NJ for the past two years. Close to 800 people work for RK nationwide... that's up 50% since January of 2005. How would you explain that type of growth if people were not happy there?

I could go on and on about this...

From a current RK employee.

This is BS - the statistic is meaningless. People take jobs and make assumptions doing so. That RK has hired a lot of people between 2005 thru 2008 doesn't make them a good place to work, it means only that auditors need to work. The really ugly side of the firm shows when they downsize - no severance, no notice, no return of personal files on the computer that you had to store there to take care of during business hours. I've worked at several firms and this one is the least pleasant place to be overall. Dishonest management too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Truthful in New Jersey

72 months ago

Not only is it dishonest, but management is incompetent, ruthless, cowardly, greedy and completely miserable! They have absolutely no compassion, have no clue how to deal with "people" and will throw thier own mother under the bus if they have to! This is in general because they do have some decent principals in the NJ audit group and one or two tax ones in NY but they always seem unhappy, I'm sure because they themselves don't agree with the "top" dogs but can't do much, as the place (from East to West coast) is still run by a few blank holes (despite the number of offices and number of people the firm actually claims to have)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Current RK Employee in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

I am surprised by some of the comments people have posted. Running your mouth on a website does not support the E in BALANCED of employing and retaining top talent. Ranting about everything you hate is hurtful to the employees who care about the company and truly strive to make it a "best place to work." Management can only do so much to promote firm culture. Take responsibility for your actions. It is up to each employee to make BALANCED and/or LIFE more than just "marketing materials."

As for the "cliques", yes, cliques do tend to form in larger offices. It's not practical to go to lunch in groups of 25+ people. My suggestion to you is this- take a few minutes out of your day to introduce yourself to the new hire, invite a few people to lunch, or simply ask a group of people if you can join them as they are heading out the door. No group (at any level) has ever told me I couldn't join them for lunch. Blanket bad mouthing of people or sulking in the corner will never help you make any friends.

As for someone being promised to be made principal, to my knowledge, no one has the authority to make those promises. If you knew how the principal promotion process worked, you would understand.

I'm far from perfect, but making an effort is half the battle.

current employee at RK in Staten Island, New York

70 months ago

Good Riddens Rothstein Kass in Kearny, New Jersey said: Allegedly, Rothstein Kass does not reject people because they are not a good candidate. Rothstein Kass probably rejected you because you did not fit the Rothstein Kass profile of what they like. Since men hire over there, they have a particular look they like- Tall leggy, blondes or brunettes. Very thin figures etc. For men it's different - they don't look at appearance as much. It doesnt help that Rothstein Kass' HR department is allegedly inadequate at best. Don't feel bad!

If you think the only women they hire at RK are super models, you're insane. Enough said.

And for everyone that's complaining that they got fired "without any notice" - I highly doubt that is the case. You probably didn't see it coming b/c you are either ignorant or useless, which is why you were let go in the first place. I guarantee 99% of your ex-coworkers saw it coming "with plenty of notice".

I'm sick of people complaining ... you chose public accounting. If you don't like the demanding hours, do something else. If you feel like you need a pat on the back everytime you foot a schedule, you have far bigger problems.

I guarantee the complaints drastically decrease in the off-season when you have 7 WEEKS PAID VACATION. Suck it up during season so you can suck them down in the off-season.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Disgruntled BH Employee in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

Current RK Employee in Los Angeles, California said: I am surprised by some of the comments people have posted. Running your mouth on a website does not support the E in BALANCED of employing and retaining top talent. Ranting about everything you hate is hurtful to the employees who care about the company and truly strive to make it a "best place to work." Management can only do so much to promote firm culture. Take responsibility for your actions. It is up to each employee to make BALANCED and/or LIFE more than just "marketing materials."

As for the "cliques", yes, cliques do tend to form in larger offices. It's not practical to go to lunch in groups of 25+ people. My suggestion to you is this- take a few minutes out of your day to introduce yourself to the new hire, invite a few people to lunch, or simply ask a group of people if you can join them as they are heading out the door. No group (at any level) has ever told me I couldn't join them for lunch. Blanket bad mouthing of people or sulking in the corner will never help you make any friends.

As for someone being promised to be made principal, to my knowledge, no one has the authority to make those promises. If you knew how the principal promotion process worked, you would understand.

I'm far from perfect, but making an effort is half the battle.

Are you HR or a principal? Who else would tout the BALANCED philosophy that hardly anyone else can be assed to remember?
I would know, I work at the BH office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

current employee at RK in Staten Island, New York said: If you think the only women they hire at RK are super models, you're insane. Enough said.

I am inclined to agree. If you only saw the BH office most of the female ratio is composed of ugly H1B visa abusing Chinese internationals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

current employee at RK in Staten Island, New York said: And for everyone that's complaining that they got fired "without any notice" - I highly doubt that is the case. You probably didn't see it coming b/c you are either ignorant or useless, which is why you were let go in the first place. I guarantee 99% of your ex-coworkers saw it coming "with plenty of notice".

At least in the BH office six people in October were fired for “performance” reasons. I agree with you that they should or knew it was coming due to the fact they didn’t associate themselves with certain cliques or just didn’t speak mandarin.

69 months ago

current employee at RK in Staten Island, New York said: you have 7 WEEKS PAID VACATION.

For those not in the know, 7 week of vacation is possible if you use the 3 weeks you accrue over the course of the year (1-3 days/month), the remaining 4 weeks comes from OT that you did not cash out (you have to bank/save 75 hours and you have an option to save another 75 hours).

P.S. The math works because RK’s work week is 37.5 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

People are scared layoffs will happen and April 30th seems to be the consensus (the paranoia is further fueled by the fact that HR has escalated the number of closed door meetings among themselves and April 30th is blocked off in their calendars). Knowing the firms “MO” a wave of Global-BH emails from various EA’s will state the principal will not be in on that Thursday and HR will have to bring out the chopping block in the conference room or as I dubbed it “Palm Auschwitz.”

The perversity of the public accounting dynamic really disgusts me. If you want to maintain good relations with the firm (since RK serves such a niche industry and everybody knows everybody) you can not quit during busy season but when you know the chopping block is going to come you are left with an awkward decision to make, maintain good relations or maintain a stream of income. For future readers please learn this: if the industry your firm predominately serves has drastically shrunk it is time to think of an exit strategy. The recession is significantly worse than I expected and my only regret is not leaving when I had the chance. Now I am in a race against time to seek a new job in a market flooded with Rothstein Kass resumes.

-Scared Saddened Disgruntled BH Employee

69 months ago

Part 1:
Well put. Last Fall's wave of new hires added a layer of expense the firm could not support and necessitated the layoffs of existing experienced staff later that year. Public accounting firms cannot renege on employment offers to upcoming grads or the placement offices will restrict the Firm's future access to students. So the firm has to follow through with offers they no longer needed, and cut expenses elsewhere. The 18 or so new hires from Fall '08 have been closely watched and some percentage will be cut as the Firm will not pay them for 6 months of slow-season CPE. Experienced staff will be cut too. It's a shame that employees cannot speak openely about things they would like to change at the firm without risking their employment. The same applies to Principals, who exhibit the same fear of NJ. It's not a healthy environment and I highly recommend looking elsewhere for employment. But if you need a job hold on to what you have for now until something better comes along.

There are other critical characteristics this firm exhibits that are not apparent to potential employees. First is that management is very paranoid. The Director of firmwide HR likes to say this firm is very transparent but Senior Management will privately admit the opposite. The policy of not allowing access to personal email is alternately a) due to concerns about viruses or b) concerns about time management. RK is alone in that they must believe they hire and retain immature, unprofessional staff if they cannot trust them to maintain personal activity to a minimum during crunch times. But if you work 12-15 billable hours/day for 6 days/week then you should be able to take care of some personal tasks remotely. Every other firm allows such access, and when I mention such RK policies to other firms they profess amazement. Expressing displeasure with such policies and trying to change them is asking for trouble and making yourself a target.

69 months ago

Part 2:
Another item of note. When this firm lays you off you will be treated like a P.O.S. They'll tell you it is due to substandard performance no matter how well you've been doing up to that point. Great reviews, good client relationships, etc., - all mean nothing. Your laptop will be taken and you will not be allowed to retrieve your personal files, while HR tells you there should be no personal files on their laptop to begin with. If your CPA application paperwork is on the PC you're screwed (even further than you have been to this point). You will not be allowed legally mandated copies of your HR file either - the BH HR staff seems fairly clueless as to their liability on this issue, and others.

Regarding the choice of either maintaining good relationships with the firm or looking out for your own interests it is worth noting that remaining employees are so paranoid for their own security they will not reach out and assist laid off staff in some very basic ways, for fear of being cut themselves. The policy of not allowing supervisors to provide references can be legally justified but is vindictive - it permits the firm to continue stabbing former staff in the back while forcing current employees to keep quiet. This is not a good place to work, even if they have half a dozed articles proclaiming RK to be the best hedge-fund audit firm in the 9100 block of Wilshire Blvd.

There are folks like me that will speak up, annonymously. But the real travesty and proof of the lack of integrity exhibited by RK are the defensive posts to this forum that are posted anonymously. They are clearly posted by HR staff, and recap benefits, etc. the firm offers. If I were saying nice things about the firm I'd have nothing to fear, so why are those posts anonymous? Put your name and phone number in there for follow up calls from potential recruits! There should be nothing to fear if you're speaking glowingly of the Firm. But if you voice criticisms......

68 months ago

RK Employee in New Jersey said: Yes our employees (including myself) work very hard, sometimes 60/70 hours minimum in a week yet we are also blessed with 7 weeks of vacation for staff and seniors and 5 weeks of vacation for management (find me a firm that does that, not too many) and they also pay you out for that time if you do not use it all.

That is assuming that seniors and staff bill all their time to begin with.

A majority of management pay lip service to not bite time (under-billing a client) because it is unfair to the individual, but seniors/staff are constantly reminded to meet realization (not blowing the budget). On one hand, you are given a carrot (bill time so you can accrue 7 weeks of vacation or OT pay) but management has no qualms in bashing you with a stick from the other hand if you bill too much (through bad reviews and possibly throwing you under the bus).

It seems every year management comes up with new ways to add work onto an engagement. Any efficiencies gained last year are negated by new work the firm tacks on so they can cover their asses or stroke their ego’s on how well versed they are in the new FAS pronouncement. I have no problem doing the work but when the budget is not adjusted for it, the BS gets tiring.

The bottom line is that the firm pays for OT but either directly or indirectly they know how to keep it to a minimum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stranger in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

I am amazed with the comments from everyone. However you put it, whether an ex-employee, current - employee. This place should not be the last choice for any person looking for a job. This place is full of unprofessional people who talk down to their staff and will walk all over you.

68 months ago

Yes, the people below partner level who do well here have limited business experience and tend to be a bit naive; they tow the company line regardless of how much BS it contains. Partners will stab you in the back and blame you for things you have absolutely no control over, then have the temerity to pass you in the hall on your way out the door one last time without saying a word, or even nodding. They are inept as managers, and dishonest. Accept them for what they are and not what they proclaim to be and you won't be disappointed, or upset.

Another round of layoffs in LA yesterday leaves the BH CS practice at a skeleton level - and not all the best people were retained either. The decision to release many of the CS people that were just let go was based on evaluations by CS managers that were overly harsh while the FS managers were more generous with their own staff, making the CS staff look less able by comparison. The poor performance exhibited by the CS management this past season will lose a few more clients and create further need for cuts. But at least HR is now paying lip service to allowing terminated employees to obtain personal files from their company laptops. I guess they have slowly come to realize that working 70-80/hours/week forces staff to save some items on the RK-owned equipment. Rocket scientists, I tell you! The HR staff - Alexa in particular - is just in over their heads, and not clear on the reality of the situation, or employment law. All directives come from Jersey, so you don't see much competence when addressing the local HR staff. Why pay for it when NJ will do what it wants to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.