10 Years ago I was fired from SAIC. Can I be re-hired with a referral and letter of recommendation from my current employer?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Tina Ferguson in Hampton, Virginia

58 months ago

I worked for SAIC for 4 years and a little over 10 years ago I was fired SAIC. There was some leadership turnover that caused some bitterness in the office. As a result the work environment became a little hostile and in the mist of it there was some bad feelings between another co-worker and I and she left and before I could find another job I was fired.
Anyways, long story short my supervisor did not want to deal with it and let me go stating the reason as occasional tardiness and overall poor performance. (Prior to his taking over leadership all my performance reviews were good as was my “performance”.
All these years later I find myself at another base working for another branch and well after 5 years, they are relocating the mission to another state and we are all being laid off.
A co-worker that works for SAIC provided me a copy of a requisition from SAIC for a job I am qualified for and would be great at. He is offering to refer me and I have a couple letters of recommendation from current and former supervisors. Should I pursue this opportunity is would it just end in embarrassment and wasted time that could be spent pursuing a position with my current or another company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Tucson, Arizona

50 months ago

Hi,
I am truly sorry to hear about your separation from SAIC. I too was let go for seemingly strange but similar circumstances.
I was an FSE for over 14 months contracted through Aerotek. I too received nothing but praise from my immediate supervisor, the Aerotek staff in San Diego and the officers who worked at the boarders. I always went the extra mile with a silent promise that I would get hired on permanently after about 6 months. Because I was a temp I was always trying to show my appreciation for the job and worked extra hard every day.
Needless to say the 6 month marker passed, then the 9 month, then a year and then almost 15 months in I received a phone call from Aerotek on a Sunday evening asking me to meet with him and an SAIC upper level manager the fallowing morning.
All he would tell me is to bring all my parts, laptop on cell phone and be there by 8:00 am. I was shocked to see one of my managers who I always thought to be good guy trying to get me to believe my contract was being terminated because I turned a Survey in written in pencil instead of pen, and…… I was using the wrong templates to update my tickets.
Both of which were very minor and could have been easily resolved by a phone call or at worst a refresher course which in my case would really be the first time since it was never covered during my training classes. Even so those are not the kind of things someone looses a job over. I know I was performing well and didn’t need anyone to tell me so but they did anyway.
Let me tell you that 14 months is not a long time to learn everything there is to know about my job but it’s definitely long enough to know whether I was able to do the work and was able to handle to volume.
I would think it would only take a few months to figure that out.
As a result I lost my house, my car and had to endure incredible hard ship. I wrote the CEO a letter explaining what took place and the exact reasons given to me for letting me go. Nothing ab

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry Wisniewski in Tucson, Arizona

50 months ago

Hi,
I am truly sorry to hear about your separation from SAIC. I too was let go for seemingly strange but similar circumstances.
I was an FSE for over 14 months contracted through Aerotek. I too received nothing but praise from my immediate supervisor, the Aerotek staff in San Diego and the officers who worked at the boarders. I always went the extra mile with a silent promise that I would get hired on permanently after about 6 months. Because I was a temp I was always trying to show my appreciation for the job and worked extra hard every day.
Needless to say the 6 month marker passed, then the 9 month, then a year and then almost 15 months in I received a phone call from Aerotek on a Sunday evening asking me to meet with him and an SAIC upper level manager the fallowing morning.
All he would tell me is to bring all my parts, laptop on cell phone and be there by 8:00 am. I was shocked to see one of my managers who I always thought to be good guy trying to get me to believe my contract was being terminated because I turned a Survey in written in pencil instead of pen, and…… I was using the wrong templates to update my tickets.
Both of which were very minor and could have been easily resolved by a phone call or at worst a refresher course which in my case would really be the first time since it was never covered during my training classes. Even so those are not the kind of things someone looses a job over. I know I was performing well and didn’t need anyone to tell me so but they did anyway.
Let me tell you that 14 months is not a long time to learn everything there is to know about my job but it’s definitely long enough to know whether I was able to do the work and was able to handle to volume.
I would think it would only take a few months to figure that out.
As a result I lost my house, my car and had to endure incredible hard ship. I wrote the CEO a letter explaining what took place and the exact reasons given to me for letting me go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry Wisniewski in Tucson, Arizona

50 months ago

Continued:

Nothing about it made any sense and I never saw it coming. I wrote the top people at Aerotek, and anybody who I thought could give me the truth.
All I found out is that the separation was due to business considerations whatever the hell that means but was not necessarily a performance issue as I was told.
That was the best job I ever had. I loved the work and I was really getting good at it. I also heard the same manager who drove all the way out to feed me a bunch of bologna was also fired shortly after.
I would love to have my job back. I have replied to a couple of openings in Phoenix by got no reply.
I say there is no harm in perusing the positions they have open in your field, it wouldn’t be the first time someone was re-hired. People make mistakes and I don’t think there are a lot of people looking for work that can say they have the expertise SAIC needs.
I hope this letter helped in some way.
Regards,
Larry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.