Employment Interview Process

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Robert Jones in Corona, California

90 months ago

Most unprofessional I've ever experienced. No wait, that's not fair, second worst. I've interviewed there on two different occasions. Both times it involved multiple (3 and 4 interviews). I meant I had to return 3 or 4 times. Then, after the final interview both times... nothing, not a word, no follow up nothing. Finally I got tired of waiting, called the recruiter who either was the 12th man on the deal team-last to know, or just an idiot. She provided me some lame excuse rather than just say, we found someone with more precise skills. Not getting the job is fine, it's the lack of follow through by the recruiters. What a joke corporate recruiting is!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female

90 months ago

Due to the number of applicants I am finding that they [corporate america] doesn't feel they need to be professional at any rate, whether it be a call back, follow through, or remaining 'in the know' of what has happened. Corporate american is LAZY and CHEAP. They are the ones who waste our time, gas, and energy yet expect us to be extremely professional with all the answers - yet they have none of their own. They are gutlss and instead of being straight up hide behind statements such as I DON'T KNOW -- that answer won't work for the one being interviewed yet they use it all the time. They build your hopes and slam you down & then wonder why they can't fill a position. Half the time these people hiring for positions don't even know what they really are looking for. If they don't follow up or even acknowledge your interest -- it must not be where you are supposed to be. And you are better off NOT working for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Male in Bellevue, Nebraska

89 months ago

Jobless Female said: Due to the number of applicants I am finding that they [corporate america] doesn't feel they need to be professional at any rate, whether it be a call back, follow through, or remaining 'in the know' of what has happened. Corporate american is LAZY and CHEAP. They are the ones who waste our time, gas, and energy yet expect us to be extremely professional with all the answers - yet they have none of their own. They are gutlss and instead of being straight up hide behind statements such as I DON'T KNOW -- that answer won't work for the one being interviewed yet they use it all the time. They build your hopes and slam you down & then wonder why they can't fill a position. Half the time these people hiring for positions don't even know what they really are looking for. If they don't follow up or even acknowledge your interest -- it must not be where you are supposed to be. And you are better off NOT working for them.

I learned something very interesting from dealing with my (former) HR department. They have not a clue what the various job requirements mean, and how to translate between resume information, and job requirements. Aside from this, they do not know how to write an accurate job description. When I was laid off, HR "helped" me find another job. They identified a number of developer positions in Denver, none of which I was qualified for (the programming languages were not in my resume even in brief mention). When I told them I was not qualified, they were dumbfounded. To me a good HR person would be someone who actually worked in the field and understands its needs, and is trained in HR by the company. That's not how it is done. The HR people have degrees in resource management. Too bad.

Keep in mind, many of these jobs (contractor) are vaporware-- that is they are exploratory and contingent upon actually being awarded the work. Everyone I know that works for SAIC is happy, it's getting in the door that's difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Looking for work in Colorado Springs, Colorado

89 months ago

I totally agree with you jobless male. i have been trying to get into well known companies (won't give any names) for a while now. i have a lot of experience in recruiting and hr, but because i mostly worked in staffing, corporate recruiter look at me as i am a "paria"... yeah, well, in staffing you have to bust your ass to find good candidates, as you get commission based on how many contractors you put to work, while in corporate you have your base salary (which is way bigger than in staffing) and you can afford to NOT follow up /through with candidates, as my previous friends mentioned, as there are millions of people looking for work and every day you receive dozens of "i am interested in ..."
i am so ashamed i am on the same field as them, but that's what i like to do: find jobs foe people. now i need one :) irony of life...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Staffing Recruiter in Minneapolis, Minnesota

89 months ago

Looking for work ~ You are 100% right. I too have spent much of my career in staffing working my butt off for a crappy salary and barely there commisions. I have been looking for a career in corporate recruiting and have had little to no feedback. They do phone interviews, promise feedback and then you never hear a responce. Yes, I understand they receive many resumes and responce....however, a promise is a promise and the least they could do is drop an email saying the found another candidate. I somehow find the time to fill 30+ positions/month AND follow up with everyone that did not get those job offers out of respect of the job seaker. Anyone have suggestions on this? I try to follow up with messages for the recruiter but that usually doesn't receive a returned phone call. The positions I apply for, I seem to be qualified for them. Good Luck on the job seach all!

Looking for work in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I totally agree with you jobless male. i have been trying to get into well known companies (won't give any names) for a while now. i have a lot of experience in recruiting and hr, but because i mostly worked in staffing, corporate recruiter look at me as i am a "paria"... yeah, well, in staffing you have to bust your ass to find good candidates, as you get commission based on how many contractors you put to work, while in corporate you have your base salary (which is way bigger than in staffing) and you can afford to NOT follow up /through with candidates, as my previous friends mentioned, as there are millions of people looking for work and every day you receive dozens of "i am interested in ..."
i am so ashamed i am on the same field as them, but that's what i like to do: find jobs foe people. now i need one :) irony of life...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Ann

89 months ago

Jobless Female said: Due to the number of applicants I am finding that they [corporate america] doesn't feel they need to be professional at any rate, whether it be a call back, follow through, or remaining 'in the know' of what has happened. Corporate american is LAZY and CHEAP. They are the ones who waste our time, gas, and energy yet expect us to be extremely professional with all the answers - yet they have none of their own. They are gutlss and instead of being straight up hide behind statements such as I DON'T KNOW -- that answer won't work for the one being interviewed yet they use it all the time. They build your hopes and slam you down & then wonder why they can't fill a position. Half the time these people hiring for positions don't even know what they really are looking for. If they don't follow up or even acknowledge your interest -- it must not be where you are supposed to be. And you are better off NOT working for them.

I am so sorry you were treated this way and feel this way. If you need assistance with profession recruiters or staffing agencies, I will assist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Diamond Bar, California

88 months ago

How's the job hiring process in SAIC? Are Education, Reference, Criminal back ground check taken before they send out official job offer letter? If so, how long does it usually take and what is the final step right before they send out the job offer letter? I just want to know overall hiring process in SAIC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Buckeye in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

JJ in Diamond Bar, California said: How's the job hiring process in SAIC? Are Education, Reference, Criminal back ground check taken before they send out official job offer letter? If so, how long does it usually take and what is the final step right before they send out the job offer letter? I just want to know overall hiring process in SAIC.

Once you pass the required testing and are interviewed it is at that point when a background check is done. It takes 7 -10 business days for the background check to be completed then if they want to hire you an offer letter is sent out.

I just learned this at my interview today.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bear in Norcross, Georgia

88 months ago

I had the same experience. Going for the interview and was promised that either way I would be told of the outcome even if I wasn't the final candidate. I finally decided to call a month later only to be told that they had made an offer to someone else although nothing had been concluded. So how about sheer courtesy to let the other candidates know? It seems that they were never interested in hiring me in the first place coz they never ran the background on me despite the annoying paperwork they requested that I fill out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Over here and wants to go over there in Richmond, Virginia

88 months ago

I've been applying for so many jobs listed by SAIC (not only in my home state, but in other surrounding states) that I'm sure every SAIC HR knows my name in all of those states by now. Not only have I applied for positions that perfectly fits my current job description, but I have also applied for positions that all is needed is a high school diploma and some computer experience. I've been told that you have to know someone in the company to get in... I guess I need to start asking everyone I meet who they work for. I have found and called several SAIC offices, talked to HRs, sent them my resume and cover letters to their personal e-mail addresses, sent follow-up e-mails asking if they received them (which I know they did), and still no response. I know how many HRs conduct business... fill the whole with someone with a lot of experience in any background (hopefully with a degree on homemaking) and keep stacking those beans. I can see it now...

Did we really hire a 40 year janitor to join a team of chemists to provide his/her experience in toxicology? Oooppsss... oh well, the gap is filled and I still have my job. HAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm not trying to offend all HRs, because I know there are many that do actually care and know employees by their first name. My next step is to go to many of those offices and give them my resume personally. If that doesn't work, I'm going streaking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Ohio

87 months ago

Buckeye in Elyria, Ohio 26 days ago,

Which SAIC did you apply at? I'm in the Elyria area too and I tried with them a few years ago, but could never get an interview.

I am an entry-level Electrical Engineer. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Floridian in Cape Canaveral, Florida

84 months ago

I just became aware of this forum and became a member in order to reply to the guy in Colorado, who I hope, has already gotten a nice job.

I would have to say that improving grammar, spelling and to use upper case on written documentation would for sure help.

Those people at SAIC know well what they are looking for among the applicants. They have advanced resume scanning techniques ready to pick up the key words they are interested in and they don't look at "staffers" down. I know it by own experience.

They receive thousands of resumes weekly and due to the mechanized systems many resumes get lost in the shuffle. That's why, at the end, persistence pays off.

Let me tell you what I did that got me hired: I applied to an internship announcement, got the interview and the internship. Work for a few months as intern really hard. Applied for a paid position, interviewed and got the job.

The references check, background and credit check took about a week before you get your initial foot at the door.

Later on, I had to leave to accept a government position; but nevertheless got hired then. Anybody with the right set of skills and good attitude can do it.

In order to obtain what you want you need to improve yourself and be positive.

I hope this helps you and others.

Happy New Year!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jofhn d in Rockville, Maryland

83 months ago

what kind of drug test do they do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

xinuan in Newtonville, Massachusetts

78 months ago

JJ in Diamond Bar, California said: How's the job hiring process in SAIC? Are Education, Reference, Criminal back ground check taken before they send out official job offer letter? If so, how long does it usually take and what is the final step right before they send out the job offer letter? I just want to know overall hiring process in SAIC.

SAIC hires from the bottom of the barrel. SAIC is a "bodyshop" and the government doensn't care if one person does the work of 5 people and given that algorithym, SAIC doesn't care whether they have 5 non-producers employed and drawing against the contract so long as the government thinks it is getting value i.e the work is geting done. SAIC is always looking to add bodies and the government never stops to ask "how much work did x or y or z do last quarter? The COTR/Government likes being fat, dumb and happy. After all he's spending the taxpayers dollar and the COTR is happy so long as no body else is unhappy. If you are looking long term use SAIC to get to a government position. SAIC is not where you want to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.