SAP as career start?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Skyrocket in Paris, France

31 months ago

Hello,

I am new graduate in EECS, and considering being a software developer at SAP. I wonder whether it is good idea to start career at SAP.

What do you think career prospects are outside SAP after a few months or years with them ? They have own language (ABAP), very specific products. Do you think it remains easy to go to another tech company?

Globally, do you think it is a nice place to start?

If I have choice with other companies which are developing with C++ JAVA, and less "business" oriented (telecoms...) what would you advise me?

If I wish to go later for phd studies, is SAP a good milestone, or would it be considered too business oriented and not core software eng. ?

Regards,
D.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Job market in France is grim as well. Depends on the sector.

I thank you for your comments.

I understand (and agree with) your advice to keep up with other languages. However, you seem to know SAP: do you think it is reputable and permit afterwards to evolve in tech companies - with continued C++ Java training?

I make my question more precise:I am afraid that people there are not pasionned computer scientist, rather a mix of business and tech profiles.

I would like to really orient my career toward core engineering, development, science. I consider resuming studying with phd.

My other possibilities are joining a big company as hardware/software developer (signal processing, filter design, C prototypes), and there I am a bit afraid that I don't like the electronics part so much, and that I am not a match for the people passioned with hardware (meaning that the company can fired me easily and find smbody better). I can join another tech company with good local reputation, which is less business oriented I think.

Do you think with these plans in head SAP is good start? (position is in Europe)

Thanks again on your comments,
Regards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I thank you for your advice.

My second choice is a first rank company in aerospatial, but there I may be specializing strongly on one subject they want me to become expert in, and I may not have many open doors after 2-3 years with them. But maybe it is the right choice to pursue studies afterwards (knowledge in hardware, OS, ...).

Did you work at SAP?

Other advice are welcome!

Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

It is similar to Dassault in size and reputation.It is a big company name made of little firms, so with a start-up feeling (and lots of responsibilities from scratch).

31 months ago

I would apppreciate further feedbacks, regarding choice btw SAP and other tech companies (maybe not so good run, not so caring about employee, but with great learning/evolution possibilities)

Sky in Paris, France

30 months ago

I thank you on your reply.

I have an idea that a position in the industry (aerospace, ...) is more suited for evolution in computer science. I have the feeling that SAP enables to grow competence on this product only, with hard focus on business process... Then, the most natural route may be to remain in SAP world, or at least in design of business applications. I have no wish to pursue long term this track.

BUT, SAP is reputable, and I may have good opportunities after 1-2 with SAP. At SAP, I could grow knowledge of software life-cycle, development in a team and OO and I could continue learning other languagues JAVA/C++ through homework. I would like to try the SAP route, after one year change for another tech companies, and maybe in 3 years go back to studies with the advantage of one experience in real life software development. Does it sound preposterous, and should I choose another position in a non-software company, with more algorithmic research, and standard reusable languages? I have one possibility with C/VHDL, cryptography, and telecoms, and another with C++/Python and data analysis (statistics, GUI) in a great company.

I would be happy to hear further advice. Also Hoapres maybe you have one comment once I have explained better my choice.

Happy New Year!

Sky in Paris, France

30 months ago

I thank you for your quick reply!

I know that some dpt at SAP are doing strong R&D on vizualization, data mining, in-memory technology, NLP. However, I would work for one of the business suites product. In this dpt I think that it goes mostly around short term client driven production. However this could be goog opportunity to have one foot in the company and also to learn more in industrial progamming.

I read the job description again, and it struck me that requirement was either degree in Computer Science or in economics... so what to think of it? Should I ask more in details abt job duties?

Sky in Paris, France

30 months ago

Thanks a lot on your answer. I received another offer at a big company, developer and R&D eng with developemnt in C++/Python that sounds pretty good. Do you think (open much discussed question) that PhD is useful when considering a career in industrial R&D ?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.