How to get a job at SCA Appraisal.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Host

Do you work at SCA Appraisal? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Syracuse, New York

85 months ago

Not good to deal with. Very difficult company to work for and they don't pay very well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Peter Duran in Lawrence, Kansas

85 months ago

I have found SCA wonderful to work with. In one year I've had the opportunity to work in five different states and I really feel like I'm part of the organization. My question to the first person that responded to the forum is this: Was SCA difficult to work with or were you difficult to work with? They don't expect anything that is beyond normal. They just want good, consistant, solid work that is completed in a timely fashion. There is nothing difficult about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Timothy Jones in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

Peter Duran in Lawrence, Kansas said: I have found SCA wonderful to work with. In one year I've had the opportunity to work in five different states and I really feel like I'm part of the organization. My question to the first person that responded to the forum is this: Was SCA difficult to work with or were you difficult to work with? They don't expect anything that is beyond normal. They just want good, consistant, solid work that is completed in a timely fashion. There is nothing difficult about that.

I've been considering joining SCA. I had some questions regarding volume and key objectives with this company. Have you found that they provide a steady amount of work and has the amount been manageable? Do you feel that the goal of inspections within 2.5 days is attainable? Any info that any current SCA contractors can provide would be much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Tim, I started with SCA 1 1/2 years ago. Initally, my goal with them was 2 files a day. That was easily attained and now averages 3 times that amount or more daily. The support staff is wonderful. When questions arrise, a phone call or a simple email is all I need to do. If the person who I contact does not have the answer, they do not stop until they FIND an answer. And the answers come quickly. I have worked with other appraisal companies who do not offer support, and it can be very frustrating. As far as objectives, SCA's objective has been the same since their inception: A superior product with superior service. As far as the 2.5 day cycle time, my average has been about 1.75 days since I started with them. All this requires is hard work and diligence. I'll tell you what I enjoy the most... I feel appreciated by them. If you are an experienced appraiser with lots of drive, go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Mountain View, California

79 months ago

I'm interested in working for them, but I have heard SCA makes you pay for software through them? I just don't want to have to "pay" to do work for them. Anybody know about that or has any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Richard in Mountain View, California said: I'm interested in working for them, but I have heard SCA makes you pay for software through them? I just don't want to have to "pay" to do work for them. Anybody know about that or has any advice?

You have to remember this: As an independent contractor, you will have expenses. This includes your car, computer, fuel, insurance, office supplies, estimating software, etc... There has to be a way for you to communicate your daily business back to SCA. In the past 18 months, my cost to use their program has amounted to about two days work. It's not expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RS23 in Mountain View, California

79 months ago

Okay, I understand but I write in Pathways but I hear you have to use the software they have. Can I just use what I have?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

RS23 in Mountain View, California said: Okay, I understand but I write in Pathways but I hear you have to use the software they have. Can I just use what I have?

I know that some of our guys use Mitchell, but I don't know if any of our people use Pathways. I signed on with ADP when I first started with SCA. The good thing about ADP is that I have a month to month contract that I can cancel any time. Nothing like getting stuck in a two year contract if things don't work out. I honestly don't know about the CCC situation. My software expenses are around $200.00 per month between the estimating program and the commuication software with SCA. If you are interested, the next step is to see if anyone is needed in your area. Let me know if you need any more help or have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

SCA advertises their available positions on greatinsurancejobs.com. See if anything is in your area. If their isn't a local position available, I would contact the home office and ask for the person who is in charge of hiring in your area. They can direct you to him either by phone or by email. Let them know your experience and your willingness to work. My experience with them has only been positive and the assistance offered to you from the corporate offices is outstanding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

All very good questions. I will try to answer them the best I can. SUPPLEMENTS: If a good relationship has been established with a shop, a supplement can be done with photos emailed by the shop. Supplements less than $250.00 generally do not require a re-visit. A lot of these re-inspections are based on the appraiser's relationship with the shop. I find that most times, I am in the area of the shop anyway, and stopping by for a visit is very easy. ASSIGNMENTS: My workload with SCA has been very consistent. When I first started, I believed that I could handle quite a bit more than was being assigned. I contacted my supervisor at the home office and was told that they would contact the marketing department to increase the workload. Within days, the increase was obvious. Now, I handle a lot of files, and everyone seems to be happy. CUSTOMERS: Each assignment sent from SCA has easy to read, easy to comprehend guidelines that outline the insurance companies policies. After the appraiser uploads the assignment, the QC department verifies that all guidelines have been followed. The final product is not uploaded to the client until all guidelines are met. From time to time, you may be brought into a third party call with the adjuster. Most times, they are simply asking your opinion on something or offering their interpretation of the situation. Just be professional and courteous - remembering that they are the customer - and be honest with your assessment. VACATIONS: Being an independent, vacations are not paid for. Ususally, in any major area, there are other appraiser's that SCA can work with if you are taking time off. They like to know 2 months ahead of time when a vacation is coming up. I have been asked on a few occasions to cover for another appraiser who was out of area or falling a little behind. They always like to have a backup for any area, and that is just good business

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. PAYMENT: I turn in my log every two weeks. To the best of my knowledge, each appraiser is allowed to use their own format for billing purposes. When I started, I asked them to email me a sample of somebodys payroll template, and I have been using it ever since. It's a simple, excel spreadsheet. TAXES: I drive a lot for SCA. Last year I put in approximately 72,000 miles. With the mileage deductions, software deductions, computers and cameras I purchased, hotels, flights etc., My tax burden is bearable. I will end up writing a check for about 5% of my gross income in April. I plan to go on quarterly payments in 2008. MINIMUMS: Communication is key. SCA prefers each appraiser average a 2.5 day cycle time. They understand that an independent appraiser may have other commitments. As long as the team leader is aware of what is happening, a minor delay doesn't hurt. That said, delays need to be the exception and not the norm. The last two years, I have had many different appointments that I have had to keep for various reasons and nobody has ever pressed me to "hurry up". As long as communication is good, nobody gets upset. There will be times when you are asked to do a "same day inspection". If you ACCEPT the assignment, it is expected that you upload it that night. If you do not accept it, for whatever reason, there is no penalty. TYPICAL DAY: I am equipped to write in the field, if necessary. However, I find it easier to go out in the field, visit my customers, and then write everything from home. I like to take care of all my billing at one time. Then I answer emails and address any issues that may have come up during the day. Next I uplod all my photos for the separate assignments. They I write my estimates and handle the appraiser's reports. The last thing I do is clean up my office and make sure I'm ready for the next day. Today was an EXTREMELY lucaritive day for me. (Continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

(Continues) Right now, it is midnight and I left the house this morning at 7 am. I was able to spend three hours out with my family tonight. I'm from the west coast and this is the only position I have found out here in the mid west that I can make a living comparable to what I made in Nevada and California. With SCA I have complete autonomy to handle my day as I see fit. The result is that I push myself even harder. As far as faxing estimates, the client outlines in their guidelines if they want us to fax them or not. I would say that I have to fax about 40% of what I write, which only takes a minute. You sound like a promising candidate fo SCA. Why don't you give them a call? Good luck, and if you have any more questions, please write back or call me through SCA's home office. They can patch you through to my cell really easily.

JOHN E in Glen Burnie, Maryland

78 months ago

Peter Duran in Lawrence, Kansas said: I have found SCA wonderful to work with. In one year I've had the opportunity to work in five different states and I really feel like I'm part of the organization. My question to the first person that responded to the forum is this: Was SCA difficult to work with or were you difficult to work with? They don't expect anything that is beyond normal. They just want good, consistant, solid work that is completed in a timely fashion. There is nothing difficult about that.
I would like to know how did you become an appraiser becuse I,am trying to become a estimator/appraiser and finding formal training is hard to come by.I have 15 years experience as a Body/painter technician.

78 months ago

I walked into a body shop back in 1987 and offered my services for free for a month. I asked that if after a month, if I had a clue what I was doing, would they offer me a job. The answer a month later was yes, and this is what I have done all my adult life. 19 years in body shops and the last two years at SCA. I think that practical experience (ie: work in the back of a shop) is invaluable, but you will need some practical training with the various estimating programs that are out there. If you are working in a shop now, go ask if you can practice on the estimating system during lunch. Your best bet is to express an interest to someing who is willing to work with you and show you the software programs. 4 years ago, a body tech came to me on a Saturday and asked me to show him how to write an estimate on the computer. I was very proud when 1 1/2 years later he took a job at Farmers. You can't work in the back forever - it's too hard on the body.

auntieam

76 months ago

Very disorganized company. I was hired to work in customer service. They didn,t have time to train me so i was told i wasn't a good fit for the job and was terminated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

auntieam

76 months ago

Host said: Do you work at SCA Appraisal? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I worked there for about 1 week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Henry Passerrello in New Castle, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Hi, My questions are for Peter Duran...I was just wondering if it is worth it to work for SCA appraisal? I currently work at Progressive and I handle all aspects of a claim, from taking recorded statements, determining if there is coverage, making liability for an asccident, and then appraising the vehicles...My big question is I am making around $40k - $45k now, and there is an opening in my area for an SCA appraiser, I feel my biggest strengths are in appraising and I was wondering if it is worth the change from working at a nationally known insurance company to being an independent appraiser for SCA. Let me know. Thanks!

72 months ago

Making a change from an insurance company to being an independence appraiser would be a difficult one to make. Probably the first question would be the change in benefits. As far as income, I have been fortunate and have done very well with SCA. The part I enjoy the most is the autonomy, which I know is rapidly depleteing for appraiser's working directly for one insurance company. I suggest contacting SCA directly to get in touch with the person in charge of hiring in your area. Check the potential workload. It's quite possible you could double your income if the area is right. It's also possible it will remain the same. I really don't know the area well. My experience has been nothing but top notch. I get support when I need it and am left alone to do my job the rest of the time. There is nothing worse than being micro-managed, as you probably well know. I was nervous two years ago when I joined SCA. When I first moved to the mid-west, I was amazed just how little a journeyman estimator makes in body shops out here. I needed to replace my west coast income as quickly as possible and SCA was my answer. As I have mentioned in previous postings, just work hard, be organized, and do your absolute best to satisfy the client. Communication is key and hard work is a must. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Henry Passerrello in New Castle, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Thanks a lot...I spoke with the recruiter and he advised I would be getting workload of about 6-10 assignments per day -- That seems like a great opportunity but it also seems like a lot for a workload...Do you think 6-10 assignments can be completed per day? Let me know...Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

j enterprises in Modesto, California

71 months ago

I worked for SCA and I left shortly thereafter. They pay the lowest pre standard appraisal out of any companies $40.00 each. Of course supplements are on the appraiser. They promise to send 6 assignments a day but be wary, they often hire more than one appraiser for a area just so they can have them on hand in case of a rush of claims. The second fiddle appraiser usually starts out getting 4-5 a day but then it drops to 1 or none, and the #1 appraiser gets all the work, fact. They only care about making the insurance company happy and DO NOT back their appraisers. I'm working for several smaller companies that pay alot better and don't have all the demands SCA does. Work for them at Your own risk. It's not worth what it cost You to do buisiness with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

j enterprises in Modesto, California

71 months ago

..and as far as this Peter Duran person, he sounds like a SCA "hell", he's most likely not a real appraiser by the sounds of it.

71 months ago

I started as an auto body estimator in produciton shops in 1986. I moved to collision in 1990. I've been the top producing estimator at EVERY shop I've ever worked at. I went with SCA when my family relocated to the midwest. A REAL estimator doesn't make good money in a shop in the midwest, which is why I changed my career path. I'll put my knowledge and skills up to yours any way possible - and guess what - I'll beat you. I do work for other companies as well, and I enjoy the bump in pay when I get my check.... That said, I wouldn't trade 90K annual earnings with SCA for the sporatic checks that come from other compaines. Sorry you had a bad experience with SCA. It sure pays not to the second tier guy. Good luck in your future.

Matthew in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

I am looking at a job out of state and i am thinking about relocating to work for sca. I have been an estimator and office manager in a large body shop for a long time making about 70k a year working 60+ hrs, 6 days a week. In your guys opinion is the money as good as promised, work as abundant as promised, worth the time & relocation ?

formersca in Skaneateles, New York

68 months ago

danny thomas in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I worked for SCA for 8 years. They will take money from you every chance they get. They require you to get the NADA evaluator, 2 top employees Shawn Gions, John Gironda own the company you have to purchase this from, they make it a requirement so they can make money off of you. SCA also charges you $40.00 per month to upload, well they host there own server and upload program figure out the math $40.00x240 appraisers=$9600.00 per month. They are also in big trouble in a few states mainly P.A. for using fake license numbers the contact of the state investagator in P.A. is jim Mackley his email is jmackley@state.pa.us if you have any questions as to the truth of this matter, SCA is telling everyone it was a dispatching error email Jim Mackley he is working on over 1500 bad files SCA has played games with

I am glad to hear that they found the rest of the files, last I heard PA only knew about 700 files. SCA will get what they deserve...maybe someone will think about the Federal implications that SCA knowingly sent known fradulent documents across state lines via fax and the internet...I am no lawyer, but I would love to see the Federal Authorities take a look at this scenario...They have turned into the premier Lease Inspection Company!

Jon Gironda in Burbank, California

68 months ago

....(continued from the previous entry)...

As mentioned, it's apparent that you are a distrungtled employee who is seeking revenge against SCA and is trying to smear us any way you can. Nonetheless, nobody likes to loose their job, especially in this tough economic time. However, if you choose to tell people what SCA is about, good or bad, I suggest you do it honestly. If not my freind, it might end up costing you personally.

Lastly, regarding the PA DOI. Not sure what your trying to convey here, but understand our inquiry from the PA DOI has been fully address with Mr. Mackley and the Commonwealth of PA with full disclosure...we're not hiding anything here. As well, I'm not sure really what that has to do with this young man Matthew in Tampa Florida asking about working for SCA other that your attempt to slander us?

Again, consider this a gentlemen's offering for you to cease your attempts at slander against SCA.

Matthew,
We invite you to inquire regarding becoming a contract appraisal vendor for SCA. We have over 400 (sucessful) contracted appraisers around the US curently that are staying busy and are quite happy with what SCA is all about. Additionally, if the vendor opportunity is not right for you, SCA is now also offering franchise opportunities all around the US.

That said, if anyone has any questions or would like to speak to me live...please feel free to contact me on my cell phone at 818.402.2958.

Sincerely,
Jon Gironda
VP Franchise Division
SCA Appraisal Company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian Velazquez in Woonsocket, Rhode Island

64 months ago

Being some one currently on unemployment but with some experience in the automotive appraising buisness, a phone call from an SCA recruiter brightened my day. I was offered a position with the company and the only draw back was that I needed to be lisenced in the state I was to be employed in. I followed the proper procedures and am currently in the process. Its already costing me money I cant afford to spend. But I am a firm believer that one must spend money in order to make money. So, I figured my next step is to contact the recruiter at SCA and discuss with him the appropriate step's I should take next, however, he wont answer his phone. I have been trying to communicate with him for about a month and a half and have left numerous messages on his voice mail. On one account, when we first began to exchange phone calls, the same thing happened. When I finally got in touch with him, he apologized and said that, "it gets hectic here sometimes and I just dont feel like answering the phone or returning phone call's sometime's". Regardless of that fact, I feel that I should inform you of this and to also express how unprofessional I believe (at least this part)that this organization is performing. I AM UNEMPLOYED. Laid off from my previous employer. It is VERY difficult finding employment, let alone a promising lead. My name is Adrian Velazquez and I have nothing to hide......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn Goins in Burbank, California

64 months ago

Adrian,

I am sorry you are unemployed. SCA has a minimum level of experience that is required to work as an Independent Auto Damage Appraiser for us. You need to have 3 years at the Minimum. You did not meet that requirement. As to your additional comments about me answering the phone, this is not worth my response.

You were never offered work from SCA due to the fact that you do not have the experience required to do this work.
Feel free to post your resume on this form in text form since you have nothing to hide. Everyone will be able to see your experience level and that you do not have what is required to work for SCA.

Simply stated, if you are an IA that meets our requirements please feel free to send me your resume and if we have an opening you will be contacted.

Shawn E Goins
Business Network Development Director- Western Division

Email: sgoins@sca-appraisal.com
Web: www.sca-appraisal.com
"Since 1979...Excellence in everything we do"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian Velazquez in Woonsocket, Rhode Island

64 months ago

Im sorry....but you are dead wrong....I WAS offered employment.....not by you but by another person....I never even knew SCA existed before I was contacted. The recruiter reviewed my resume posted on THIS site and NEVER informed me of the qualifications needed to obtain employment less the fact that I needed to be certified in my home state. If I did not meet the requirments, then WHY was I contacted. I'm afraid you should redirect your comments, questions, and concerns to the employee on the EAST coast that so incompitentley performed his recruiting duties.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

James Gerhard in Peoria, Arizona

64 months ago

I applied for a job with SCA in flagstaff, Az. Has it been filled or is there any jobs in Phoenix, Az. or vicinity. I have not been contacted. I would very much like to work for SCA.

Shawn Goins in Burbank, California

64 months ago

James,

At this time we do not have any Openings in AZ. We do have openings in MT, NM and WY. If your intrested in relocating to one of these areas let m know.

Shawn Goins

doug in Amarillo, Texas

63 months ago

The goal is very attainable, I have been doing business with SCA for 9 months now and my average time for inspection is 1.5. not a difficult goal at all

Timothy Jones in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I've been considering joining SCA. I had some questions regarding volume and key objectives with this company. Have you found that they provide a steady amount of work and has the amount been manageable? Do you feel that the goal of inspections within 2.5 days is attainable? Any info that any current SCA contractors can provide would be much appreciated.

Mordeci in Schenectady, New York

55 months ago

Peter Duran in Lawrence, Kansas said: Tim, I started with SCA 1 1/2 years ago. Initally, my goal with them was 2 files a day. That was easily attained and now averages 3 times that amount or more daily. The support staff is wonderful. When questions arrise, a phone call or a simple email is all I need to do. If the person who I contact does not have the answer, they do not stop until they FIND an answer. And the answers come quickly. I have worked with other appraisal companies who do not offer support, and it can be very frustrating. As far as objectives, SCA's objective has been the same since their inception: A superior product with superior service. As far as the 2.5 day cycle time, my average has been about 1.75 days since I started with them. All this requires is hard work and diligence. I'll tell you what I enjoy the most... I feel appreciated by them. If you are an experienced appraiser with lots of drive, go for it.

Approximately how far away are your jobs from where you live, how many estimates do you write per day, and how many in a two week period? How long does it take for you to write an estimate?

Steve in Central Square, New York

47 months ago

I recently stopped working for PDA in Syracuse ny. I would like to contact the area rep to inquire on any openings

Barmoush in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

Jon Gironda in Burbank, California said: Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Jon Gironda here. Please understand that I personally view all internet blogs related to SCA. Given that, please be cautioned regarding any derogatory and/or false statements made against SCA. We are well represented with legal counsel and have no reservations when it comes to taking legal action against individuals or companies that attempt to tarnish our name.

Firstly, Mr. "Former SCA" and "Paul Patrick" and "Danny Thomas", I intend to advise the "Indeed" Organization that you have registered using a false names. This, as everyone should know is a Federal Offense. You cannot use false contact information when subscribing to forums such as this. As for who you are, I already know...and with that, please expect additional corespondence from our attorney posthaste regarding your sladerous attempt.

In regard to your comment regarding www.AppraiserSupply.com , you mentioned that I personally as well as Shawn Goins own this organization and that we require all SCA Appraisers to purchase products from us. First and formeost, please know that Shawn Goins does not own Appraisers Supply, I own the company 100%...and have for almost 7 years now. To add, please know that we don't require anyone to buy from Appraisers Supply. An appraisal vendor can purchase their own Magnetic Arrows and Pocket Rod tape Measurers from countless sources on the internet. As well, appraiser can purchase NADA from NADA directly rather than Appraiser Supply. Now granted, if an appraiser purchases NADA from Appraisers Supply, they only pay 219.00 per year and if they purchase it from NADA directly, they pay 439.00 per year. Now I must ask...is there something bad about this?

Regardless though, again...I know who you are and I fully intend to take swift legal action against you in order for to stop conveying lye about me personally and the SCA Corporation. It obvisous that you are a distrgrungled employee who seeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Appraiser in Harrison, New York

34 months ago

Jon Gironda, Tim Davis and everyone at SCA appraisal are good people and the type of guys who you want to hang around during your off-time. They have some great stories to tell. However, their standards are very high and they are very demanding. You can make six figures as an IA at SCA, but the work needs to be turned in fast, the estimates need to be of high quality and there can be no complaints. You will work hard if you get to be an IA at SCA...you will put in 12+ hour days and you will be driving at least 50,000 miles a year. There can be no customer complaints...at all. SCA does not tolerate mistakes at all whatever they may be.

It requires lots of experience, knowledge, endurance and talking skills. Not everyone can do it. All those you see complaining here are the ones who just couldnt do it. However, for the ones who do make it work...they enjoy six figure income which you can't get at the bodyshop or insurance company.

The money is there when working for SCA, but you can get in trouble very fast if you do not know what you are doing. I suggest that you have at least 5+ years experience doing this type of job. Do not expect an easy job. It will pay well, but you can expect to work hard long days...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Keith Anderson in Huntsville, Alabama

20 months ago

I agree with Appraiser in Harrison, NY. I have never had the opportunity to hang out with the bosses but I can tell you this for a fact...if you deliver, so will SCA! I have been with them for about 4 years and there are times when it slows a little, then there are times when you cannot keep up!
I have found though that if there are any problems, it is usually because I slipped a little, because in my experience, SCA is always on the job!!! If you slip, they will let you know about it! This is not a job for the inexperienced or the lazy "non" self-starter! They will send the claims, and you better get up and go get them!!!
As far as pay is concerned, well we could all use a raise every once in a while, and we can all complain about it if we feel the need to do so, but if you hustle and write these claims, SCA will pay you right on time, everytime!!!
I'd agree that the complainers on here were probably the problem, not SCA. Some things that you say may have been the case for you, but for me...all I ever have to do is to get up and go write the claims sent to me, and all will be well, I will get paid, and I will keep getting claims in my inbox!
Thank You Mr. Davis & Mr. Gironda, I appreciate you both very much!
Oh by the way, for those of you that will say that I am brown nosing, I'm not, I forgot to mention to you that I haven't written for SCA since July due to a need for a break! I'm just telling you the truth, if you hustle out there SCA will show their appreciation...every 2 weeks when they pay you, right on time without fail!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.