Safeway Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Safeway?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Select

99 months ago

chabela said:
Colleen Chambers said: Yes i am trying to apply for a job with your company, and i am currently in college right about now. So basically i'm really struggling terribly bad right about now so can you please email me back and let me know something please i beg....[/QUOTE
WELL, YES AS THIS PERSON MENTIONED, PASS THE DRUG TEST AND YOU'RE IN, BUT PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ABOUT THREE WEEKS DOWNT HE ROAD WHICH MANAGEMENT DON'T TELL IS THAT THE UNION HITS YOU WITH A LARGE SUM OF MONEY TO PAY TO THEM OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET TERMINATED! SO IN REALITY YOU WILL BE GIVING UP ALL THAT YOU'VE EARNED BACK TO THEM. IN OTHER WORDS YOU'VE WORKED FOR FREE! SO, SINCE THEY DON'T TELL YOU THIS BIT OF NEWS...I HAVE...GOOD LUCK.

Not entirely honest...The hiring person will tell you it's a union position, and the union will allow you to make payments...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Select

99 months ago

Select said:
Not entirely honest...The hiring person will tell you it's a union position, and the union will allow you to make payments...

[i]But really, you could do better than Safeway[/i]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

boom boom in Vancouver, British Columbia

98 months ago

mm i think..if u tell them ure available 24-7..n chances of them hiring u is higher coz they need ppo..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Staci in Antioch in Oakley, California

98 months ago

I have applied for every position I am well qualified for at the corporate office in Pleasanton. I still have not heard from anyone regarding the open positions. Does anyone have any suggestions besides applying somewhere else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

cant tell u in Hayward, California

97 months ago

Well i think all grocery stores are coruppt like nuggetmarket food 4 less. They treat the ppl who work at nugget markets like king and queens, but at food 4 less that is like the dump, u wont get anywhere unless u KISS UP. u try to offer ur natural skills or even just to learn forget it ur a scrubn there. at the f4l in vallejo, some guy told me that they dont allow females to work in any of the departments accept cashier and bakery.. he told me that there was to chicks that worked in produce and they put them there because they were being investigated for not following that equal oppurtunities thing. They r no longer in produce by the way. that is some crap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Van in New Westminster, British Columbia

97 months ago

anyone know how the computer test works at safeway? i heard you have to take a test before they decide to hire you or not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (175) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Select in San Mateo, California

97 months ago

The new drug test involves running a Q tip type swab across your gums for about 20 seconds. So if you're planning on brining your kid sister's piss fo'get about it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

xman in Phoenix, Arizona

96 months ago

Is the drug test given at the end of the interview, or is this the first step in the interview process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

wanda in Federal Way, Washington

96 months ago

Select in San Mateo, California said: The new drug test involves running a Q tip type swab across your gums for about 20 seconds. So if you're planning on brining your kid sister's piss fo'get about it...

is there anything u can do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Palmer, Alaska

94 months ago

JOHN in San Leandro, California said: Anyone can do better than Safeway. As a team member expect to work hard for little pay and feel like a slave in the process. Anyone who has ever worked as a courtesy clerk can tell you that safeway works you like a slave and at very crazy hours. Trust me stay away.

I was a courtesy clerk for a year and I know how hard it is. Now I'm a cashier/natural foods stocker. That was exactly what I hated about being a courtesy clerk. It is a thankless job, and courtesy clerks are little more than slaves. But what I hate now is the rude customers. I've had so many of them laugh at me when I make mistakes, throw their Club Cards/money/credit cards/etc at me.... I don't think people should stay away though. A job is a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jake in Chula Vista, California

94 months ago

yes, im interested in knowing as well, how far back does the swab test go (for MJ specifically)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jack B. in Portland, Oregon

93 months ago

Does safeway drug test at the interview??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sugarlover in San Jose, California

93 months ago

Yes, Safeway does give you a saliva test IN the interview. Saliva tests can only trace drug consumption for the last three days up to immediate use*

*on average. Not much more than that, though, and that doesnt depend on how much of party fan you are.
If you used last week, it will not show up. period.

But, if you used last night... start applying for another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

niki in Austin, Texas

93 months ago

Maybe I misread your note but law requires that companies of 50 or more employees MUST offer you 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave and a position of equal pay when you return, regardless of whether you are male or female or work a full or part time position. No benefit package necessary. Though you have resigned it may be helpful for others in that position to look into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Robbins in Whittier, California

93 months ago

I worked at Safeway #1977 in Lacey, Washington for 2.5 years, I was a courtesy clerk for 5 months of that time. Yeah it was hard work, if you worked hard your supervisors/managers noticed, and when/if you go for another position you'll get it. I got every position I applied for, I was up against 3-5 people each time. I've been courtesy clerk, customer service clerk, checker, back-up frozen/dairy manager, bookkeeper, and video manager. Hard work pays off. Also, if you have great shop scores, I'm 18 for 20!

I now work at Vons #2524 in La Habra, California as a file maintenance clerk. I do it because I love the hours, most people don't like 3am-12pm, but I do. Plus I wanted to learn every position in the store, because if I ever move up I want to say I did it all.

I have an interview for Transportation Warehouse Clerk in El Monte, California for Vons.

With my past interview experience with the company, I'll get the job, but I'll try not to get too cocky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kamie in Elberfeld, Indiana

92 months ago

Taylor in Fairbanks, Alaska said: I'm curious about the drug test, can they tell that day, or does it take time? Also, you don't have to join the union if you're under 18, do you?

it is 30 seconds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kamie in Elberfeld, Indiana

92 months ago

if any courtesy clerks want to move up in positiion, thank by name! Your superiors love that! Not many courtesy clerks do that, and plus u get points on ur shops. IT is easy! helped me :)Also, help people unload from their cart, to the checkstand, works too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kakashi5 in Chehalis, Washington

66 months ago

Michelle Robbins in Whittier, California said: I worked at Safeway #1977 in Lacey, Washington for 2.5 years, I was a courtesy clerk for 5 months of that time. Yeah it was hard work, if you worked hard your supervisors/managers noticed, and when/if you go for another position you'll get it. I got every position I applied for, I was up against 3-5 people each time. I've been courtesy clerk, customer service clerk, checker, back-up frozen/dairy manager, bookkeeper, and video manager. Hard work pays off. Also, if you have great shop scores, I'm 18 for 20!

I now work at Vons #2524 in La Habra, California as a file maintenance clerk. I do it because I love the hours, most people don't like 3am-12pm, but I do. Plus I wanted to learn every position in the store, because if I ever move up I want to say I did it all.

I have an interview for Transportation Warehouse Clerk in El Monte, California for Vons.

With my past interview experience with the company, I'll get the job, but I'll try not to get too cocky.

so when u were changing departments did u ever have to retake your drug test to change?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Cerritos, California

66 months ago

Since I wrote that I've been promoted to dispatcher.

And to answer your question, I've never had to retake the drug test out of all the times I've changed departments/facilities. I believe it is only when you get hired on with the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alegna40 in Concord, California

62 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Safeway?

Any advice on striking the right note?

I just got a job as a Starbucks clerk in Safeway. Be on time, dress nicely, be friendly. Here are the questions I was asked;

Why do you want to work here?

Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker? If you have had no conflicts, they will still ask you what would you do in that situation.

What would your prior supervisor say about you?

What does service mean to you?

What was your greatest achievement?

There was one other that I just can't recall. The first part of the interview was mgr basically asking me if I have any restrictions, telling me about the job they are hiring for and asking if i'm still interested after they tell me the rate of pay. If you say yes they will then commence to the a/m questions and then that's it. I had to suck on some weird sponge thing for the drug test and they did the background check at same time while I wandered around the store. It was very easy and nothing to worry about. Just don't say stupid things to the questions and I think basically anybody can get a job. I had to take it because I had no other choice since unemployment benefits have yet to be extended and any money is better than no money. I was corporate worker for over 15 years but again you gotta do what you gotta do and i'm grateful for the job. Good Luck to all reading this, it really is easy to get an entry level job at Safeway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Alegna40 in Concord, California

62 months ago

Oh yeah and be prepared to be an obnoxious sales person if you get a job in a department (starbucks, deli, bakery, meat, etc...). I just quit cause it just was not my thing, I just didn't like it. It's not for everyone I guess but do be prepared to sell, sell, sell otherwise you get written up and terminated if you do not improve. Something to keep in mind. If you are shy and do not like talking to people, do not apply. Training was rushed and hurried, mgr kept leaving me to fend for myself and after 3 days I was physically and mentally burned out, by the 4th day I knew I didn't want to continue and quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Alegna40 in Concord, California

62 months ago

Select said:

I agree, the union will let you make payments and I was also told not to start making payments until you're 100% sure you are going to stay otherwise you will be throwing money away, they will not refund you. I was told by hiring mgr to wait until probation was over (6 mos) before paying into union. Union will come visit you and tell you all about it and try and get you to pay into it earlier, DON'T. I quit after a week and i'm glad I did not join union right away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

meatclerk in San Juan Capistrano, California

54 months ago

In your Interview you say this.... I want this job and will not let you down. I can do this job and do it well.... Show them how much you want it and they will give it to you, provided you pass the drug test. My First week as a Meat Cleark is going great. The people are nice and the day goes very fast. My Safeway (Pavilions) is a high volume store.

Good Luck all. The Grocery Industry is booming!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Worker in Chula Vista, California

52 months ago

I am a worker at Von's in california and here is what the safeway company is now:
No where near what it used to be, start out with very low wages and they will work you like a slave, with horrible hours and only schedule you 24 hours, then on your days off call you to cover for some lame that didn't want to show up. etc. bad, bad, bad.
The upside to all this, if you do bust your ass and work better than than they want you too exceeding the expectations they will try to take care of you. I have busted my ass for 5 months now and i am going to my supervisor interview tomorrow also will be moving up to grocery manager in the near future.
The company is good in the way of advancement for those who deserve it, all they are doing when you first begin there is weeding out the bad seeds or working the bad seeds as much as possible.
At first it seems like a joke of a company but they are taking care of me now and they noticed all my hard work.
A bit of advice to those who want to join the company and want to go farther with the company: stick your nose in everything, what i mean by that is always be asking the uppers how are they doing that, can they show you how to do it. Also go down to your district office and find out about in house job fairs, meet as many people as you can in district. People may criticize you for going over and beyond what your job title says, ignore it or you will get nowhere. Remember what you do now has a huge impact in your long term future. Anyways you all have a great life and do the most you can with it. Take Care. Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

AMENDMENT4 in Hayward, California

51 months ago

First, read Safeway, Inc. history on wikipedia. Do you still wamt to work for $9/hr? This company grossed $40 Billion. They force you to join a union. So after taxes and union dues, you net about $7/hr -- less than minimum wage. Now, who is familiar with the Bill of Rights? Especially, the Fourth Amendment. Right to privacy and protection from unlawful search and seizure of you and your personal property without a probable cause.

Today is also MLK JR. Day. Civil Rights Champion.

Now, forget what the Gov't, and the Partnership for a Drug Free America want you to believe. Personally, I don't care what you do as long as it does not infringe on the personal freedoms of another. But wait!

The hiring manager of Safeway, unqualified to administer biological testing, he/she tears the foil top, opening a drug testing kit. A brand of no known accuracy or legality, and says now I am going to put this in your mouth to check for drugs. Do you know why this saliva test is inadmissable in a court of law? It is has no regulatory standards of detection and has unknown accuracy. Meaning that if you took a Pseudafed, you could be a false positive for Methamphetimines If you just at a poppy seed bagel, you could be false-positive for Opiates, etc.

Remember, this is for $7/hr. Would you refuse the test? Regardless of actual drug use, would you allow it?

If anyone agrees to this test, you are anti-human. You also, have let someone that has not washed his hands or used latex gloves, and you don't know him, stick something in your mouth. Oh, BTW, it is only part-time...max of 24 hours/week with medical after seven months.

Are you still going to the interview?

4

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Skunk Mane in Arlington, Virginia

47 months ago

I worked for harris teeter and they scheduled a mouth swab drug test for me but nonetheless, cheefed less then 12 hours before the test and somehow i got the job!
i brushed my teeth like 10 times that morning leading up to the drug test. today i go in to Safe for the 'Orientation Period' where i guess i'm going to get paid for sitting at a computer for 5 hours, but i'm thinking that i may be surprised with a drug test today when i go there at 1..i just cheefed..what shold i do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Skunk Mane in Arlington, Virginia

47 months ago

Kamie in Elberfeld, Indiana said: it is 30 seconds.

i think what the question means, is, will they drug test me during the interview? 0or will it be at a later date?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Moneyaddict in San Jose, California

47 months ago

Skunk Mane in Arlington, Virginia said: i think what the question means, is, will they drug test me during the interview? 0or will it be at a later date?

Safeway will stick a swab in your mouth as a condition of employment. When you fill the paper work it asks if you are willing to submit to a drug test. No specifics at all just yes or no. And if you are hesitant, they will use your answer to justify the test. So, if you actually want to work for Safeway, then you better not partake in any drug use for at least 3 days prior to interview. Do some research on saliva-swab drug testing for exact numbers.
I know that the job market sucks. But, I also that any decision based on fear, is not a decision that you should be making.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Moneyaddict in San Jose, California

47 months ago

AMENDMENT4 in Hayward, California said: First, read Safeway, Inc. history on wikipedia. Do you still wamt to work for $9/hr? This company grossed $40 Billion. They force you to join a union. So after taxes and union dues, you net about $7/hr -- less than minimum wage. Now, who is familiar with the Bill of Rights? Especially, the Fourth Amendment. Right to privacy and protection from unlawful search and seizure of you and your personal property without a probable cause.

Today is also MLK JR. Day. Civil Rights Champion.

Now, forget what the Gov't, and the Partnership for a Drug Free America want you to believe. Personally, I don't care what you do as long as it does not infringe on the personal freedoms of another. But wait!

The hiring manager of Safeway, unqualified to administer biological testing, he/she tears the foil top, opening a drug testing kit. A brand of no known accuracy or legality, and says now I am going to put this in your mouth to check for drugs. Do you know why this saliva test is inadmissable in a court of law? It is has no regulatory standards of detection and has unknown accuracy. Meaning that if you took a Pseudafed, you could be a false positive for Methamphetimines If you just at a poppy seed bagel, you could be false-positive for Opiates, etc.

Remember, this is for $7/hr. Would you refuse the test? Regardless of actual drug use, would you allow it?

If anyone agrees to this test, you are anti-human. You also, have let someone that has not washed his hands or used latex gloves, and you don't know him, stick something in your mouth. Oh, BTW, it is only part-time...max of 24 hours/week with medical after seven months.

4

As far a "cheefing" is concerned, see the details, I think these saliva tests are only accurate for detecting usage in the preceding 12 hours and their accuracy sharply declines after that. IF it's worth it, just stop cheefing for at least 3 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

Staci in Antioch in Oakley, California said: I have applied for every position I am well qualified for at the corporate office in Pleasanton. I still have not heard from anyone regarding the open positions. Does anyone have any suggestions besides applying somewhere else?

hello the secret into getting hired is going in person every week. i went in 3-weeks even i was told to call; no i didn't i went in person. now i will be working starting tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

Staci in Antioch in Oakley, California said: I have applied for every position I am well qualified for at the corporate office in Pleasanton. I still have not heard from anyone regarding the open positions. Does anyone have any suggestions besides applying somewhere else?

hello the secret into getting hired is going in person every week. i went in 3-weeks even i was told to call; no i didn't i went in person. now i will be working starting tomorrow.good like. trust me this will work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

FalconSays in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

Well, if you are willing to put effort into your job hunt my advise would be to save your energy for any other job other than Safeway. I have worked for that corporation twice and never again. I hated my experience both times. But hey, I know some people love the grocery store business. Don't kid yourself though . . . gone are the days when you would hear about people making very decent wages in grocery. Now Safeway and their management treats people like 'good luck getting another job sucker'. Once you're in they use and abuse. I went to Union once and was threatened. Went to union a second time a year later and union now sides with corporate. Safeway employees are just drones, a dime a dozen.
Thank god I have an awesome job now! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

durbanpoison in Woodland Hills, California

13 months ago

wanda in Federal Way, Washington said: is there anything u can do

i got this detox mouthwash called magnum detox mouthwash and it worked. it covers the "toxins" you have in your system for 45 minutes. cost about $30 at a head shop but was well worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

happythinker in Kingman, Arizona

13 months ago

I started working for safeway nine months ago. I made a good impression immediately by trying to connect with the managers and I moved up to a checker my second day. I am now trained for five positions and I imagine I will keep going. I love working for safeway. As long as you stay positive and make a few friends at work it won't be that bad. There will be days when a customer can completely ruin your shift, but most days you hear a few interesting stories. You joke around with your coworkers. Its a fun job and the day goes quickly. Being a courtesy clerk kind of sucks but moving up is easy. You can make a career out of the grocery store business

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

randi in San Leandro, California

9 months ago

meatclerk in San Juan Capistrano, California said: In your Interview you say this.... I want this job and will not let you down. I can do this job and do it well.... Show them how much you want it and they will give it to you, provided you pass the drug test. My First week as a Meat Cleark is going great. The people are nice and the day goes very fast. My Safeway (Pavilions) is a high volume store.

Good Luck all. The Grocery Industry is booming!

will they give you a second chance to pass the drug test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

randi in San Leandro, California

9 months ago

will safeway give you a 2nd chance to pass the pre hiring drug test? Honestly I dont use drugs and it showed up positive for meth. i will take another swab test or urine test it doesn't matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Dayton, Ohio

9 months ago

randi in San Leandro, California said: will safeway give you a 2nd chance to pass the pre hiring drug test? Honestly I dont use drugs and it showed up positive for meth. i will take another swab test or urine test it doesn't matter.

Oh yes sure, you don't take meth, yet it came up positive. Ha! You must think everyone was just born yesterday. Druggie! and im not talking about weed, meth head!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Please reply in Tubac, Arizona

5 months ago

Emily in Palmer, Alaska said: I was a courtesy clerk for a year and I know how hard it is. Now I'm a cashier /natural foods stocker. That was exactly what I hated about being a courtesy clerk. It is a thankless job, and courtesy clerks are little more than slaves. But what I hate now is the rude customers. I've had so many of them laugh at me when I make mistakes, throw their Club Cards/money/ credit cards/etc at me.... I don't think people should stay away though. A job is a job.

Does Safeway drug test for a fuel station clerk? Any answer will help Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

s sssssssss in Sahuarita, Arizona

5 months ago

Does Safeway drug test for a fuel station clerk? Any answer will help Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

?? in Long Beach, California

18 days ago

can anyone who has been hired recently say whether the drug test is a saliva or a urine test? several months ago people were saying saliva, but i wonder if that is still what they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

?? in Long Beach, California

18 days ago

happythinker in Kingman, Arizona said: I started working for safeway nine months ago. I made a good impression immediately by trying to connect with the managers and I moved up to a checker my second day. I am now trained for five positions and I imagine I will keep going. I love working for safeway. As long as you stay positive and make a few friends at work it won't be that bad. There will be days when a customer can completely ruin your shift, but most days you hear a few interesting stories. You joke around with your coworkers. Its a fun job and the day goes quickly. Being a courtesy clerk kind of sucks but moving up is easy. You can make a career out of the grocery store business

may i ask if the drug test you took was a saliva test or a urine test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.