Safeway News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Safeway stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Tim M in Baltimore, Maryland

114 months ago

Safeway usually doesn't seem to layoff very many people, the union frowns apon that pretty heavily. Given the fact that Safeway is the second largest grocery retailer in North America, you can rest assured that if you work for Safeway, you pretty much have a job unless you get fired, quit or retire. It's a stable business. Hey, no matter what time of year it is, people always need to shop for food.

Safeway is all most always looking to add employees. The stores often see a lot of part-time checkers and courtesy clerks who come and go as they don't intend to make a career out of working in the grocery industry. So it's easy to get hired into Safeway, and once you get in, you can always work your way into a full-time job as the company is all-most always looking for employees who wish to go full-time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John Pestana in Santa Monica, California

107 months ago

I started a career with VONS COMPANIES INC. in West Los Angeles in198, I was a veteran of The Army. I toured Germany and I found success; but, only in the second year as a Combat Engineer. In 1988; I was back home in Venice, CA, and my job was a ( twenty minute) bike ride. Pre 911 was an active lifestyle; but, I was disciplined to make something of life at the age of 24. Next I had gathered ten years and was vested with a pension. In 2004, my life took even another turn. I became a Parent. Miracles just happen, and I had an Irish Catholic Priest tell me I could become liable for life; and I am.

Sincerely,

John David Pestana

So, with having lost my Paternal Parent, I was thrust back into the work world, and participated in building a home. Whether I could not bare the work; or, work slowed, I am left being in a job where it's just about putting time in. And; now, I keep rediscovering post 911 and a booming economy. I have no inheritance, and life is not too bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John Pestana in Santa Monica, California

107 months ago

My local Union Made tripple diggets and a strike in 2003: A nightmare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.