How to get a job at Safeway.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Safeway? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Bill Crofford in Tulsa, Oklahoma

100 months ago

Hi I have applied for emplyoment with Safeway, Vons and Thom Thumb yet no response I am very qualified for the jobs but not getting any response. Could someone direct me in the right direction.

Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (212) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

Masa in Danville, California

100 months ago

What kind of job are you looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

100 months ago

First, ask yourself, do I want to work at Safeway?

Unless you work with raw sewage, or Walmart, the answer is probably no.

My understanding is that the only worthwile jobs are the "backstage" ones. Anything else, and you should be working hard at developing your skills for your next job.

Think Ten.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

chabela in Camarillo, California

99 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Safeway? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
YES, GO FIND A JOB SOMEWHERE ELSE! I'M SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK FOR FREE, CAUSE ONCE THE UNION GETS TO YOU YOU WILL HAVE WORKDED FOR FREE! THEY LET YOU WORK FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS THEN THEY BLINDSIDE YOU WITH A LETTER LETTING YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM OVER 200 BUCKS DEPENDING ON WHERE IN THE STORE YOU ARE WORKING OR YOU WILL GET TERMINATED! SO GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Select

98 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Safeway? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Don't!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

boom boom in Vancouver, British Columbia

98 months ago

mm i just got hired by safeway bout' 2months ago as a cashier, and still am on probation. safeways bout 5mins walk from my house, so that was why i applied. questions they ask are quite simple. (eg. why do you want to work @ safeway, why should we hire you etc.), anyways i dont really kno how the union works right now, but yeah thinkin of quiting the job already because of the schedules they give me (eg. closing at 12am and starting 10am the next morning), so yeah personally i wouldnt recommend ppl to work at safeway + the cumtomers u hab to deal wit. and hmm management apparently are..umm..heh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

rolontei simril in Fremont, California

98 months ago

i had find this job by calling in asking about it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

rolontei simril in Fremont, California

98 months ago

Masa said: What kind of job are you looking for?
im looking for ajob that pay good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

keith head in South San Francisco, California

97 months ago

I am good with people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Esther Garcia

96 months ago

My name is Esther Garcia Im having a hard time in the internet to apply for the job in Sacramento safeway in Elk Grove here is my name and phone number 916 424-4307 and I apply befor and they toll me to go for inter view and when I went all the way over there they waited for me to get there for them to tell the job was taken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Littleton, Colorado

95 months ago

Me in Canon City, Colorado said: How sad you FEEL that way for Safeway. Funny, they have provided me with 3 days off .A home a car and clothes for my kids.... OH MY GOD WHAT A BAD COMPANY!! God help you all....

People are always wanting what is on the other side of the fence. It was nice to hear someone thankful for being given an opportunity. Safeway or anyone else does not make you any promises beyond a fair wage for a fair effort. They asked for an opportunity then expected to be treated special. Remember a business is in it to make money period! You either fit in with their plan, or go elsewhere and see if the gass is indeed greener on the other side!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

garry in Cheltenham, Australia

94 months ago

hi my name is garry im looking to work in stacking cleaner working in the back packing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

EO in Oakland, California

94 months ago

Bill Crofford in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Hi I have applied for emplyoment with Safeway, Vons and Thom Thumb yet no response I am very qualified for the jobs but not getting any response. Could someone direct me in the right direction.

Bill

Bill,
I am experiencing the same thing as well. I don't know if they found a candidate or if my resume was not read.

Let me know if you heard anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

me in Canon City, Colorado

94 months ago

Randy in Littleton, Colorado said: People are always wanting what is on the other side of the fence. It was nice to hear someone thankful for being given an opportunity. Safeway or anyone else does not make you any promises beyond a fair wage for a fair effort. They asked for an opportunity then expected to be treated special. Remember a business is in it to make money period! You either fit in with their plan, or go elsewhere and see if the gass is indeed greener on the other side!

Thank God there are at least 2 of you on my side! Safeway is a good company, if you work hard for them, they will work hard for you. Sometimes it's a tough business, but what business isnt. I am interested as to what you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

me in Canon City, Colorado

94 months ago

Pamee in Los Molinos, California said: Finally a word of wisdom...God obviously is not in it for them.

In this day and age, I guess people expect to be overnight millionaires or Store managers. I guess they forget that either one takes HARD WORK, yes... you have to actually do something, and be smart and dedicated. I work in Colorado Springs, and believe me, I have some of the laziest people working at my store, but yet WONDER why they are not in management!?! HUH? It's kindoff scary to think who will be runing these stores 10 yrs from now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Littleton, Colorado

94 months ago

I am in production and have been a Plant Manager until I relocated to Denver. Now I am having a difficult time getting back to the level I was at in Chicago. I understand what you are saying about those wanting to progress and cannot understand why they are not when they seriously lack work ethics. Too many people feel that some thing is owed to them. Safeway is a good company providing opportunity to many. Safeway has been a customer of mine when I supplied vacuum metal closures to several of their packers such as salsa products. As for your question as what the company will be like 10 years from now, don't worry about it, the same people that are griping now will be griping then and so will their kids when they cannot understand how they cannot get ahead in life as the doors are not opened for them. Those with work ethics such as WE are instilling in our children will be taking those positions and helping companies like Safeway continue to lead the industry. Keep doing what you are doing and groom your good people with an effective succession plan and 10 years will be here before you know it just in time for you to hand the reigns over to someone deserving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Robbins in Whittier, California

93 months ago

I am a Vons retail employee and have been for 3.5 years now. I started in Lacey, Washington. I brought my application in to the hiring coordinator at the district office in Olympia, WA and I made her see my face. A couple days later she called me back for an interview. I got hired on the spot.

I applied for a Transportation Dispatcher opening in the beginning of July. The called me back a month later for a phone interview. Then they took 2 weeks after that to give me a real face to face interview, and that is going to be in 4 days. Wish me luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alex Rodriguez in Santa Rosa, California

90 months ago

I really need a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I haven't

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I really need a job at the Safeway across the street. They told me to go on the intrnet and apply for it but don't know what to do now because every site I go to has too much difculty things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

chris tonjum in salem, Oregon

89 months ago

great

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Angelo Akok in Melbourne, Australia

86 months ago

did you get the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Angelo Akok in Melbourne, Australia

86 months ago

Angelo Akok in Melbourne, Australia said: did you get the job

i really needed a job at safeway

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

reyes herrera in hayward, California

86 months ago

hi i need a job because i need money for i can give my mom to help her with the bills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

50assilem in Vallejo, California

86 months ago

It really helps if you are a regular customer. I had been shopping weekly (sometimes daily) at my store for over a year. When I go through checkout I would make small-talk with the cashiers and got to know a few of them on a semi-personal level. One day I expressed to the hiring manager (I didn't know she was the hiring manager at the time) that I was in need of a job with flexible hours. She told me to apply at the beginning of the next month. So I did. Needless to say, I got the job. I'm not saying that the only reason I got it was because i had connections, because I was more than qualified for my position. But it DID play a major role.

Just become a familiar face. Be friendly. Show them that they would appreciate you as an employee, and in return you would appreciate working for and with them. It also helps to go in and ask to speak with a store manager prior to or after you have submitted an application. Let him/her know that you're interested in working there and that you are going to or have already applied. I know that my store manager appreciates it when applicants do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tristin Way in Salem, Oregon

85 months ago

how can i make sure i will be the one hired at safeway

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tristin Way in Salem, Oregon

85 months ago

I really need a job can somebody give me advice???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

kaur dalbir in Springvale, Australia

85 months ago

i like to do job in safeway supermarket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Chathuranga Wijesinghe in Melborn, Australia

84 months ago

Safeway provides the most salary for students

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

jeney pribyl in santa rosa, California

82 months ago

My son has been trying to get a job at Safeway for almost 6 months. Three days a week, for three weeks straight, he went in at the store manager's request only to be told each time to "come back on ______" each time. The reasons ranged from their computers being down, to a surprise meeting. Finally, the store manager showed up for the interview, but because it had been SO LONG since my son first applied, his application expired.

A few times, my son has gotten there at the scheduled time only to find that the manager wasn't even there. Twice, the manager has asked him to come in right then, and five minutes later (if that), my son arrives to find the manager has left.

Today was the most recent time this has happened. Arrived ten minutes early for his interview, and was told to come back tomorrow, because of a "surprise meeting" the manager had to attend.

Is this typical for Safeway? I've never heard of this happening. It makes me feel like the manager is just messing with my son, but I'm not That Mom who is going to call on my son's behalf - making him look like a child and me like an overbearing stage mom.

Any suggestions, advice or insights?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

BIREN PATEL in Melbourne, Australia

82 months ago

I CAN DO A JOB IN A WELL MANNERED WAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

don.cmay@gmail.com in Winnipeg, Manitoba

75 months ago

Are there any cashier positions at safeway in winnipeg,MB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lorennluv in Oakland, California

75 months ago

Once you are being drug test during the interview does that mean you are hired assuming everything is alright with the result?... cuz I went to an interview last friday and they test me on the spot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alegna40 in Concord, California

62 months ago

I just applied online to all the stores in my area that were currently hiring. I'm not a big fan of the online application process but it does work as I was called about a month and a 1/2 later. I had an interview yesterday and was offered a job and start new employee orientation today. So you need to apply online or in the store at the employment kiosk and just be patient. Make sure you apply at stores currently hiring. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephaniez in Bellevue, Washington

54 months ago

applied at Safeway 10/15 got a call from the HR 10/18 i got an interview 10/20 any suggestions? i don't really care if i have to work my butt off a job is a job and i'm very lucky to have gotten an interview at least i got this opportunity a lot of people like myself are desperate for a job...any way wish me luck guys :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meatclerk in San Juan Capistrano, California

54 months ago

Stephaniez in Bellevue, Washington said: applied at Safeway 10/15 got a call from the HR 10/18 i got an interview 10/20 any suggestions? i don't really care if i have to work my butt off a job is a job and i'm very lucky to have gotten an interview at least i got this opportunity a lot of people like myself are desperate for a job...any way wish me luck guys :)

I worked at Winn Dixe in Florida when I was in High School. Needed a part-time job so I applied at Safeway/Vons 6 months and again two weeks. Finally got the call I wanted. Went in they asked me---- Why do you want to work here ETC? Oral Drug Test = Pass, Hired, Start this Saturday for Orientation. Pretty lucky to get a job in this economy.

You will hear people complain that working at Safeway sucks but Prob. 80% of those don't want to work hard. If you show you want it they will Promote you. I went from Bag Boy to Produce Manager in 1.5 years. Will be tougher now but I will try my very best! Good Luck to all. Keep applying and it will come!

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jayroo in Pleasant Hill, California

48 months ago

jeney pribyl in santa rosa, California said: My son has been trying to get a job at Safeway for almost 6 months. Three days a week, for three weeks straight, he went in at the store manager's request only to be told each time to "come back on ______" each time. The reasons ranged from their computers being down, to a surprise meeting. Finally, the store manager showed up for the interview, but because it had been SO LONG since my son first applied, his application expired.

A few times, my son has gotten there at the scheduled time only to find that the manager wasn't even there. Twice, the manager has asked him to come in right then, and five minutes later (if that), my son arrives to find the manager has left.

Today was the most recent time this has happened. Arrived ten minutes early for his interview, and was told to come back tomorrow, because of a "surprise meeting" the manager had to attend.

Is this typical for Safeway? I've never heard of this happening. It makes me feel like the manager is just messing with my son, but I'm not That Mom who is going to call on my son's behalf - making him look like a child and me like an overbearing stage mom.

Any suggestions, advice or insights?

i have been applying for the same job at the same safeway for 16 months. I know almost everyone but they still say they are not hiring. than i check the website it says they are hiring, i have left over 32 copies of my resume and the main manager is still 'looking them over'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert Snowden in Olney, Maryland

46 months ago

I have been applying here for weeks and I haven't gotten a call for a interview. I'm a little peeved because I know i filled out the application correctly. I maybe a little over qualified for the Starbucks position so that could be a possibility. I'm not sure bit I find it odd that you waste an hour of your time to fill out the application and they don't take the time to call you back. It's outrages to be honest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jayroo in Walnut Creek, California

45 months ago

Robert Snowden in Olney, Maryland said: I have been applying here for weeks and I haven't gotten a call for a interview. I'm a little peeved because I know i filled out the application correctly. I maybe a little over qualified for the Starbucks position so that could be a possibility. I'm not sure bit I find it odd that you waste an hour of your time to fill out the application and they don't take the time to call you back. It's outrages to be honest.

I have called the national office a few times about getting a job at my local Safeway, they have told me time and again that the managers should be the one's to call people back. But I guess i am not the only person b/c people all over the country seem to be having the same problem. I think if your not buddies with every single person there, you might not have a shot. The store Manager and HR manager have yet to give me a valid reason why they never called me back. My advice, find another place, I had no luck in 17 months of trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kyo in Santa Clara, California

45 months ago

Safeway is a horrible place to work. I just quit in May and I was working in Starbucks. They treat you like crap and the employees are poor quality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Snowden in Olney, Maryland

45 months ago

Jayroo in Walnut Creek, California said: I have called the national office a few times about getting a job at my local Safeway, they have told me time and again that the managers should be the one's to call people back. But I guess i am not the only person b/c people all over the country seem to be having the same problem. I think if your not buddies with every single person there, you might not have a shot. The store Manager and HR manager have yet to give me a valid reason why they never called me back. My advice, find another place, I had no luck in 17 months of trying.

Yeah I have given up and tried other places. I have called Safeway and everytime I call and ask if they are hiring they keep telling me they aren't. Then they claim that its a mistake and the job posting shouldn't been online. They are full of crap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jayroo in Pleasant Hill, California

44 months ago

Robert Snowden in Olney, Maryland said: Yeah I have given up and tried other places. I have called Safeway and everytime I call and ask if they are hiring they keep telling me they aren't. Then they claim that its a mistake and the job posting shouldn't been online. They are full of crap!

I keep hoping to be there one day when they are showing someone from corp around and asked about all 32 copies of my resume and asked why I never hear anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Mission Viejo, California

44 months ago

I think No Safeway store is hiring due to the possible pending Strike.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Mission Viejo, California

44 months ago

meatclerk in San Juan Capistrano, California said: I worked at Winn Dixe in Florida when I was in High School. Needed a part-time job so I applied at Safeway/Vons 6 months and again two weeks. Finally got the call I wanted. Went in they asked me---- Why do you want to work here ETC? Oral Drug Test = Pass, Hired, Start this Saturday for Orientation. Pretty lucky to get a job in this economy.

You will hear people complain that working at Safeway sucks but Prob. 80% of those don't want to work hard. If you show you want it they will Promote you. I went from Bag Boy to Produce Manager in 1.5 years. Will be tougher now but I will try my very best! Good Luck to all. Keep applying and it will come!

Jeff

Update: I am still working there and loving it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Santa Clara, California

25 months ago

Yes they're a good company, if you're A.) in high school B.) not going to college. They would constantly schedule me on days I had class (1pm-9-pm by the way) they also never told me there was a union and I had to work a min of 22 hours a week. When you're in college you can't do that because you have to study. They say they have flexible schedules.... If you're a grown man that didnt go to school yeah you can eventually move up. But slaveway is horrible! The movie theaters is better you actually get free stuff for working there slaveway gives you NO benefits and says its a great company!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crisstar in Riverside, California

25 months ago

I used to work for Vons (Safeway) for five years and I loved it.

The deciding factor is what position you do (some are better than others) and how flexible you need your hours to be. Communicate this upfront before you get in and then complain about them not being flexible. Know what you want before you apply. Talk to some of the people that work there and get their opinions as well - they'll tell ya!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Santa Clara, California

25 months ago

crisstar in Riverside, California said: I used to work for Vons (Safeway) for five years and I loved it.

The deciding factor is what position you do (some are better than others) and how flexible you need your hours to be. Communicate this upfront before you get in and then complain about them not being flexible. Know what you want before you apply. Talk to some of the people that work there and get their opinions as well - they'll tell ya!

Maybe yours is better mine sucks. Forced me to quit cause I go to college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pastorg56@yahoo.com in Canyonville, Oregon

23 months ago

Masa in Danville, California said: What kind of job are you looking for?

I am interested in a full or part time gas station attendant in Roseburg ,Oregon and am very qualified and have 15 years of experience with gas station attendant positions and am currently unemployed and have a bachelors degree in Psychology .
Thank You
Grady Phillips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

runakorobi@gmail.com

22 months ago

I just got a driving job and everything went well and it fits nicely into my schedule...it took 23 days...phone interview..face to face interview...drug test...background..now im officially hired. All you have to do is do your part stay positive and you will succeed..dont be choicey get a job..stop complaining and get to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.