union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

chabela in Camarillo, California

103 months ago

It boggles my mind to know that this union expects courtesy clerks or any other starting employee to pay their union dues with minimum wage,even at the new rate this year. No one tells them when they are hired that in a few weeks they will have to pay more then they make in a few weeks at one time to the union. If they don't they get terminated! so what there is no wonder the huge turn over rate of employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dave in West Linn, Oregon

102 months ago

Don't blame the employer - the employees vote the union in. The employees ARE the union! If they don't like what the "union" is doing then get rid of the bastards! They are blood-sucking maggots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Hemp

91 months ago

Well if you dont like the union then you have the pwer to get rid of them !Also remember there is always Wal-mart to work at !Take a look at all problems people have had over there .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike ryan in Damascus, Oregon

90 months ago

When I crunch the numbers, courtesy clerks make less than minimum wage after the $25 monthly union dues. You'd have to work 40 hours a week to match minimum wage. I see no benefit to most courtesy clerks belonging to the union unless they use medical insurance. It takes a vote of all courtesy clerks in a bargaining unit to separate from the union, not just a particular store. One alternative is to become a "financial core member". The union uses a portion of our dues for non-benefit related expenses---such as political contributions. In my case Local 555 spends 18.3% of my dues for such expenses and my dues will be reduced to $20.42 monthly. The option to do this is mentioned in fine print on page 4 of the union application and not mentioned anyplace else that I know. There is some loss of benefits such as the right to vote on contracts. Contact your union office to get the full details. To me, entry the young high schoolers are getting screwed big time. You'd think the Union would want to be more welcoming for potential life long members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Hemp

86 months ago

Well we had a pricing person who refused to join the union and would not sign the papers .The union came in and the guy quit .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

khutty in San Jose, California

85 months ago

Safeway union questions?
I am new employee in safeway. I have a question regarding their union... Is it automatically deduct in your paycheck? or should I fill up something first?

Thanx..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.