What's the company culture at Sallie Mae?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Sallie Mae?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Sallie Mae?

Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Destin, Florida

110 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jen in Indianapolis, Indiana

107 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Sallie Mae?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Sallie Mae?

buisness casual. friday is casual. lots of help to united way. there is a cafeteria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hc94 in Indianapolis, Indiana

107 months ago

I worked there for a very short time this year.The people were VERY rude, so were the trainers and the hen they had supervising us. I would say greetings to people and they would stick there nose so far up in the sky..... This was my experience and I would not recommend anyone working there. This is the Fishers, IN branch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Muncie, Indiana

104 months ago

I work for Sallie Mae in Muncie Indiana and I love working there. The staff are very nice and we have alot of fun there. What you put in your job is what you get out of it. HC94, I feel totally opposite of what your comment was. Very different in Muncie. Sallie Mae takes care of it's employees as long as your doing your part, (making goals and following company policy). I think it's a great job to make alot of money and also to meet alot of friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mesphistopheles in Indianapolis, Indiana

95 months ago

Stay away from Sallie Mae in both their offered services and their employment opportunities.
Like HC94 stated, the Fishers Data Center work environment is a living hell. The people who work there are the corrupt result of mismanagement, dissolved professionalism, toxic demands and stress-bondage.
While my tenure there was short-lived simply because I hated the place so-much-so to the point to where I wanted to be fired just to get out, I can honestly say that anyone who works there is due to a rotten wake-up call.
The first thing that will happen to you is that you will go through something called "NEO". This is the "New Employee Orientation" procedure where you are given the curve-ball about how wonderful it is to be working for such an elite equal-opportunity employer that takes care of it's employees, etc, etc. You learn about some crap called "FISH" and you go through the status-quo junk where you sign all the papers pertaining to your insurance, contacts, etc. This is where they tell you that if you find displeasure in your job, Sallie Mae offers numerous other opportunities within it's company for you "switch to something else if you don't like it". Boy, did I fall for that one...
These people are complete liars. I had one manager whom I swear to this day could look you straight in the eye and tell you his name is "Big Bird" and not flinch. These people are professionals, but not in things like programming or management. Their professionalism consists of being able to surpass lie-detectors and spoil the optimism of new-grads.
And as for Michelle at the derelict center (as it was known by those who work at the Data Center), you must be either very naive, very calloused and hardened or else, a manager because not only have I heard nothing but 100% negative reactions towards the opinions of call centers and the other various branch offices of SLM, but I have also never met anyone who found anything positive from this company.

Stay away from Sallie Mae!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.