How to get a job at Salvation Army.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Do you work at Salvation Army? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

patsy barnett in Pontiac, Michigan

108 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Salvation Army? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

You have to be outgoing, polite, and be a great people person, and always put the quest first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DORIS OUDEMS in Garland, Texas

108 months ago

THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GreenacresWV in Harrisville, West Virginia

107 months ago

Do you want to be an employee or a part of the ministry? Either way....

First, contact the Salvation Army unit closest to you.

Ask to speak with the person in charge of hiring or to someone who can tell you about working for The Army.

Depending on the size of the unit (some are just part-time offices, and some have lots of employees and multiple locations), you may just talk to the person who answered the phone, or you may speak with an HR person, or an Officer (equivalent to a branch manager/minister).

If the person at that level isn't helpful, go to the next.

The next level up in structure is the Divisional Headquarters. You may be able find one nearby by doing a search using the term Salvation Army Divisional Headquarters. Some of the websites have links to employment, others don't. There will be an HR person there.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

skheiv@*****.*** in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

My name is Sarah Kheiv;
I am very interested in ministry or outreach, teaching counseling opporturnity. I am currently working as a sunstuitute teacher. I would like to meet with soon at your early convienience. My phone nunber is 281-777-3180.

Sarah Kheiv

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fredmartin2@*****.*** in Atlanta, Georgia

96 months ago

WHERE DO I GO TO APPLY FOR A JOB AT THE SALVATION ARMY
HOW DO I GET AN INTERVIEW WITH SALVATION ARMY,I have management skills and reaturant knowledge and cooking abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bennett in Detroit, Michigan

96 months ago

I am a license electrian looking for work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Forgotme

81 months ago

I worked at a store in Portage,MI. While the mission my seem like an honorable one they are a business and push their employees to their physical limits. What I did to get hired seemed like an extensive process for the money you actually get paid. You go into a local store and fill out an app and then some time later they call you for an interview first and second where at the second as long as you show up looking presentable and on time and pass a drug test you have it. But it is a sweat shop physical work job. They will try and move you around to different positions as long as you show up on time and try. But it didn't work for me because they don't take taxes out pay min. Wage and all of their store positions are part time. Not anything to build your life on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hills on fire in Seattle, Washington

81 months ago

This organization is a joke. I worked for the Headquarters in the Development (fundraising) department for 3 years. First, there are all kinds of shady things going on with how their budget is spent: they roll the salaries, cars and houses of the "officers" into the program budget, so it LOOKS like 85% of the money is being spent on services to the community. But the officers are the department and corps managers, and their salaries are a downright ADMINISTRATIVE expense. So next time you hear that 85 cents of each dollar is put back into the community, realize that a good chunk of that is actually paying some dude in a uniform to boss people around in the office.

After 3 years of work, anyway, I was abruptly laid off and tossed out into this pitiful economy. I can only speculate why I was one of the ones to go, since I was never given any reason. But before you chalk up my review to bitterness, consider this:

1. As a religious organization, they are exempt from the unemployment requirement. So after 3 years of working under their "honorable mission," they laid me off and I won't get a dime in unemployment or support. This is an organization that supposedly cares about people, but they don't contribute to unemployment?!??! SERIOUSLY?! Now I may be the next in line at their damn food bank.

2. They pay their employees absolute crap. If you get some sense of satisfaction that makes up for your pitiful wage, good for you. But when they're nickle-and-diming every wage increase (even COL) and bickering over an extra 5 cents, I just can't look at the officers in their brand-new cars and take this organization seriously.

3. Hate to drop the D-word, but if you think they don't discriminate based on religion, you're crazy. They weed out anyone who doesn't attend "chapel" in the middle of the workday or end their emails with a "GOD LOVES YOU" slogan. I saw it happen a dozen times while I was there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.