Save-A-Lot Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Save-A-Lot?

What do you like best about working at Save-A-Lot? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

kevin Lacriox in Marlboro, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I applied for a job a few years ago as a store manager, the salary was riduclious for the hours they expect a person to work. I applied in 2002 and the salary for manager was $35 for a 55 hour work week. There was no talk of bonus there is no back up from the regional manager, the cashier's have no incentive to show up to work if something more important comes up. They hire people expecting them to be getting state benefits from welfare or social services. The jobs performed should be paying $65-70k per year salary, pension, a medical package, minimum 6% match on a 401k, 4 weeks vacation and 8 holidays and that should be a 40 hour week. The assistant managers should be getting 55- 60k with the same benefits. If they don't want to give benefits to stocker and cashiers they should have part time hours and paid $17.50 per hour no benefits. Also how many teenagers would like a parttime job from 3 pm until 7pm and maybe get the pay they give their cashiers $8 -9 an hour.

I do shop their still but the manager in the store I use has very poor judgement about handling product and about fire saftey. I complained to her regional manager and she came and asked why I complained about her, I just let her know she has to pull her head out and start thinking. I will not buy meat there. If I can look touch and read it, where it can't be changed, it is alright.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Retail Guru in Orlando, Florida

62 months ago

Starting salaries are based a lot on previous experience and personal character. I was hired as an assistant manager at $40,000. I do get overtime pay called co-efficient pay. Holidays are paid. There is a lot of talk about bonuses. I just started with the company and cannot comment on that as of yet. They pay weekly. Save-a-Lot is changing their hiring strategy. They are no longer looking for warm bodies to manage their stores. They are looking for quality retail managers and are willing to pay for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fredericksburg, Virginia

45 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Save-A-Lot?

What do you like best about working at Save-A-Lot? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

I startes at SAL in November 2008 as an asst. manager. My salary when I started was $51,000/year in the DC area. I had full benefits, 401 K , with matching, medical, vacation. Standard issue benefits. I was promoted to Store Manager five weeks after training in February 2009. Salary as manager $58500/year. There salaries are in ranges based on experience and location of store. Anyone looking to join SAL should negotiate there salary. All salaraies for managers and asst. manager fall in a range. They do not tell you the range, so do not be afraid to negotiate.

I left SAL in August 2010. I was not fired or let go. I have no axe to grind with SAL. I met some great people and some not so great people while working there. SAL expects a lot from their people, but if you are lucky enough to form a good team at your store, you will be very successful.

Overall I would say, if you as a manager do not mind physical work, then this is a great place to work. I believe the pay is fair, but remember what I said: Negotiate your salary, especially if you have a formidiable skill set that will be a benefit to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ianluke77@comcast.net in Saint John, Indiana

19 months ago

Investigating an Asst. Mgr. position for a franchisee.I have extensive experience in a high profile chain out of Chicago with nationwide affiliation ie.Safeway.What is the job real job description, work week,hours,and compensation that is average for this company?The business model seems promising in some locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M_B in Smyrna, Tennessee

16 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Save-A-Lot?

Iv work at a save alot now for 2 years as a cashier,stocker,customer service...we do it all there..my pay is 7.25 an hour..iv asked about raises and to no avail...no benefits at all...im 52 years young and was looking for a career in this field because i enjoy working with people and helping them save money...i always go over and beyond for my customers saving them money when i can.. and they appreciate it alot...but i dont get anything in return for this from the company..just the customers...which is great but it does not pay the bills..i have to receive food stamps just to feed my family..no insurance at all...unless you are willing to work all the weekends you dont get hours..they folks i work for at the store im at are good folks..but again that dont pay the bills...iv worked as a a crew leader for 5 yrs..and they know this...still do not use my experience to there benefits...they hire mostly kids that dont even care about the job or the people they work with or for...if it wasn't for being so close to home i would have been gone by now..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.