Schneider National News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Schneider National stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Looking South of the Border in South Roxana, Illinois

86 months ago

I've heard that the company is trying to hire drivers that are hear on work visas. Is this true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Friend in Okolona, Mississippi

86 months ago

You are called for a training position the catch is that you have to go to your local DVM office and take your CDL permit test and pass all of this before you can even start classes their. I know this because my husband was going to go their and he had to take the test first. They tell you that you will be in class four straight weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

darkhart44

85 months ago

Friend in Okolona, Mississippi said: You are called for a training position the catch is that you have to go to your local DVM office and take your CDL permit test and pass all of this before you can even start classes their. I know this because my husband was going to go their and he had to take the test first. They tell you that you will be in class four straight weeks.

the dmv test is not hard read the dmv book take the test class is allmost all spent in the truck 60%inthe yard doing skills and 40% road oh!! dont for get to get your DOT HEALTH CARD FIRST !! YOUL NEED IT AT dmv

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big John in Knoxville, Tennessee

85 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Schneider National stack up against the

Honestly I think that schneider is going to die out hard when the time comes! Honestly how can any company with , the accednt record that they have even be alowed to drive down the road with an 80,000 lbs veh.( but I guess with companys like JB hunt and Swift they always have a chance)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

John B Lee in Temecula, California

85 months ago

The trucking industry is about to change. When the North American Union agreement gets passed (its like the European Union, except we will have trade agreements between Mexico and Canada), truckers from Mexico will be allowed to go into the U.S. and deliver 100 miles in the interior. Current law prohibits trucks from Mexico from going more than one mile from the border. Anyways, when the agreement passes, trucks from Mexico will be exempt from U.S. standards such as insurance and inspection-due to the political climate of immigration and all that crap.

Also, do not do Lease to Own programs at Schneider. You will lose out in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John B Lee in Temecula, California

85 months ago

Looking South of the Border in South Roxana, Illinois said: I've heard that the company is trying to hire drivers that are hear on work visas. Is this true?

Yes it is true. Just wait until the North American Union becomes a reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Green Bay, Wisconsin

85 months ago

There have been about 20 - 30 associates let go per week. There is rumor of another layoff in Aug 2007. There were 170 let go in Aug 2006.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pepa in Green Bay, Wisconsin

85 months ago

Bob in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: There have been about 20 - 30 associates let go per week. There is rumor of another layoff in Aug 2007. There were 170 let go in Aug 2006.

I just heard that a Big Guy from Finance was let go ??
Do you know anything about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Kaukauna, Wisconsin

84 months ago

I know for a fact that Schneider will not be going out of business. And layoffs, they employ only well versed and low "maintence" workers. In others words, this isn't a place to goof off at and not get any work done. It was a cut the fat operation to weed out the useless... OK lazy.

Get your facts then post items. Remember, Schneider is, probably always will be, a PRIVATELY OWNED COMPANY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

pepa in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: I just heard that a Big Guy from Finance was let go ??
Do you know anything about this?

Yes it was the CFO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Ryan in Kaukauna, Wisconsin said: I know for a fact that Schneider will not be going out of business. And layoffs, they employ only well versed and low "maintence" workers. In others words, this isn't a place to goof off at and not get any work done. It was a cut the fat operation to weed out the useless... OK lazy.

Get your facts then post items. Remember, Schneider is, probably always will be, a PRIVATELY OWNED COMPANY.

Most of the associates let go had a lot of tenure. When was the last time anyone retired from Schneider?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Yesterday there were a few departments told that their positions were being eliminated and that they had 30 days to find something new in the company or they are out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

U.E. in Flint, Michigan

84 months ago

John B Lee in Temecula, California said: The trucking industry is about to change. When the North American Union agreement gets passed (its like the European Union, except we will have trade agreements between Mexico and Canada), truckers from Mexico will be allowed to go into the U.S. and deliver 100 miles in the interior. Current law prohibits trucks from Mexico from going more than one mile from the border. Anyways, when the agreement passes, trucks from Mexico will be exempt from U.S. standards such as insurance and inspection-due to the political climate of immigration and all that crap.

Also, do not do Lease to Own programs at Schneider. You will lose out in the end.

This is why homeland security is a joke under the current admin. Our borders are like swiss cheese. Plus, the merchants of greed (GOP), put greenbacks before all else ! Unfortunately, it will probably take another 9/11 to wake-up ALL Americans to the reality of our situation.People are slow learners !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pepa in Green Bay, Wisconsin

84 months ago

Ryan in Kaukauna, Wisconsin said: I know for a fact that Schneider will not be going out of business. And layoffs, they employ only well versed and low "maintence" workers. In others words, this isn't a place to goof off at and not get any work done. It was a cut the fat operation to weed out the useless... OK lazy.

Who is the Lazy Ryan ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Kaukauna, Wisconsin

84 months ago

I did forget to mention in my last post that some of the departments were being removed. They were no longer necessary. Granted, I can see why some would be let go, but again, this year they have set a goal to have so many loads by 2010.

Those laid off were, again for the most part, because they just didn't get the job done, (ie. "lazy").

All companies revamp their internal structures. Those with tenure were asked to leave and given "nice" retirement settlements.

Also, although for some reason, it shows me to be in Kaukauna, I am in Green Bay and have grown up with Schneider National. I will not say my association with the company, (I was just hired), however I have talked to many and know many that work there. Most say the same. People that have posted on this forum appear to have been "pissed off" by something. Talk to any associate, we are quite happy.

Come to think of it, I bet you it is the UNION workers that are probably having a problem with this. No offense to them, but unions are broke. They no longer work, loosely termed, but no more of a hinder to the workers at Schneider. I know I can walk into Don Jr's office or Chris' for that matter.

Well that is it for now, just wanted to reiterate and clarify.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rvtv1 in Green Bay, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Well Ryan must have been at the same meeting I was at. Rev has not been this low for 20 years and they asked 50 volunteers to go to driver recruitine. They also asked the managers to step up and begin doing the day to day work.

This is because there is a hiring freeze. When you look at the internal job openings there are none. A external friend of mine when to apply for a job here and he was told that there is a hiring freeze. He could interview but until the freeze was off there would be no job offer.

Maybe Ryan is next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJS in Green Bay

82 months ago

Come to think of it, I bet you it is the UNION workers that are probably having a problem with this. No offense to them, but unions are broke. They no longer work, loosely termed, but no more of a hinder to the workers at Schneider. I know I can walk into Don Jr's office or Chris' for that matter.

Ryan; who is Don Jr?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Cpt in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

Looks like a massive layoff at Schneider. They say it is "1%" but that includes all drivers. If they have 2,000 management/non drivers, 100 = 5%. Pretty high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave Hansen in Green Bay, Wisconsin

82 months ago

I was involved in the Aug 06 layoff and I am far from lazy. I was the most productive and fastest in my department. But I am 52, older, with an 8 year old with medical issues, i.e. Bills. That's how Schneider operates, they trim their costs by eliminating the most expensive employees, relatively speaking. I had 5 weeks of vacation and lots of medical expense to the company. Now they can hire someone younger for less money and little medical. I have always been able to see through Schneider's tactics and lack of tact.

An Expert on Schneider

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RyanWazHere in Dry Ridge, Kentucky

81 months ago

Little hint to anyone reading, I grew up in Suamico, WI!

Come to think of it, right down the street from the Schneider's. Hmm, maybe I am not an expert, but I know more than most. No, I am not family either!

So you were laid off, did you mention that you were laid off because the company removed your department. Most of the layoffs occured in an obsolete department. Yes, you were brought into a meeting room and told you no longer had a job, BUT you were told of this fact many weeks in advance, if you paid attention. TRLR HNTR.

Schneider National is a great company and layoffs happen. Look at JB Hunt and Swift. Then comeback and tell me that Schneider National isn't fighting to keep their current employees employed as much as possible. Freight is SOFT, and so is the economy.

Anyone else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

rvtv1 in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: Well Ryan must have been at the same meeting I was at. Rev has not been this low for 20 years and they asked 50 volunteers to go to driver recruitine. They also asked the managers to step up and begin doing the day to day work.

This is because there is a hiring freeze. When you look at the internal job openings there are none. A external friend of mine when to apply for a job here and he was told that there is a hiring freeze. He could interview but until the freeze was off there would be no job offer.

Maybe Ryan is next.

Nah, I will still be here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Supportive in Edwardsville, Illinois

81 months ago

Dave Hansen in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: I was involved in the Aug 06 layoff and I am far from lazy. I was the most productive and fastest in my department. But I am 52, older, with an 8 year old with medical issues, i.e. Bills. That's how Schneider operates, they trim their costs by eliminating the most expensive employees, relatively speaking. I had 5 weeks of vacation and lots of medical expense to the company. Now they can hire someone younger for less money and little medical. I have always been able to see through Schneider's tactics and lack of tact.

An Expert on Schneider

Unfortunately what Dave is saying holds true with a lot of large employers. Good luck and may you find something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yashica23 in Inwood, West Virginia

76 months ago

My sister was just laid off along with others in here department. The reason given was that the department was being removed. She was just hired 3 months ago. You would think they had some vision into the future and implement a hiring freeze in departments on the chopping block. No rhyme or reason in West Memphis, Arkansas. Perhaps management by the seat of our pants is more likely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ray rush in newborn, Georgia

75 months ago

Friend in Okolona, Mississippi said: You are called for a training position the catch is that you have to go to your local DVM office and take your CDL permit test and pass all of this before you can even start classes their. I know this because my husband was going to go their and he had to take the test first. They tell you that you will be in class four straight weeks.

NO IT IS 3WEEKS I DID IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girl S in Tucson, Arizona

72 months ago

I'm looking at getting a job at Schneider, it would be an office job. Any suggestions or advice anyone can give me?? It would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former SNBC in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Girl S in Tucson, Arizona said: I'm looking at getting a job at Schneider, it would be an office job. Any suggestions or advice anyone can give me?? It would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my advice, stay away from Schneider. They are long on promises and short on delivery. I am in a legal fight with Schneider right now and it isn't very pretty. Schneider wants you only when you are willing to work cheap. The moment you get some actual experience and move up in pay; you will be tossed out. This company doesn't give a damn about their drivers, employees, etc.. And if you should have a break down on the road; lot's of luck getting moving again in less than 6-8 hours. These guys are losing contracts to other trucking outfits. Schneider lost Proctor and Gamble, they lost Rhome and Haas, Nalco, etc... You will be lucky if you see 1500 miles a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Former SNBC in Chicago, Illinois said: Here's my advice, stay away from Schneider. They are long on promises and short on delivery. I am in a legal fight with Schneider right now and it isn't very pretty. Schneider wants you only when you are willing to work cheap. The moment you get some actual experience and move up in pay; you will be tossed out. This company doesn't give a damn about their drivers, employees, etc.. And if you should have a break down on the road; lot's of luck getting moving again in less than 6-8 hours. These guys are losing contracts to other trucking outfits. Schneider lost Proctor and Gamble, they lost Rhome and Haas, Nalco, etc... You will be lucky if you see 1500 miles a week.
Ok, 20 or so months ago everything looked great! 2900 miles, somewhat of a nice truck... Now, I wouldnt let the devil work at Schneider! I have friends that have sat 3 days in one spot. 1500 miles/wk, nah that too much Former SNBC, try most drivers are getting 1200 miles or less. Now, we probably all heard Wayne Lubner in his commericial looking for drivers, well just like Former SNBC said, get up the ladder get fired or get no miles. What would you do: pay a new guy 32c/mi or an experienced guy 55.5c/mi for the same route... Bait and Switch anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Mole in Green Bay, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Well, much has changed in twenty years for me as an over the road driver with the nation's largest and finest trucking company. Now it doesn't even resemble anything like it was in the pass few years. Our glorious leader (Uncle Donny) being bedridden and the reigns of the company handed over to a complete moron with a history of failure. I've watched how the family has been split up and our smartest ones have been chased off only to run our competitor's corporations. The number one value was Safety and now is Money. For someone new coming into the industry I would suggest that you support your local community and grow with a local small trucking. That is the heartbeat of the nation. This is the proper way. This company will ultimately break your spirit with their lies and empty promises. Their thought reform program in their basic training should be illegal. This was once the place to be. Now head in the other direction and don't stop. I've always rated company as if I would want my children to work here. After watching how they look after driver's families after a fatality, in how they struggle to get benefits payed out has really turned me off. So, so long Uncle Donny and thanks for the great times, I'm teaming up with the small guy as of today. Best before they step over my corpse to pick up a nickle!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GreenBayWrench in Green Bay, Wisconsin

60 months ago

Very well put The Mole. Nothing other than a total downhill slide since Don stepped down.

The only people making and honest living at SNI are the people holding a steering wheel or on the shop floor.

And as for "Ryan in Kaukauna, Wisconsin" or however many other indeed.com id's he has on this thread....

"they employ only well versed and low "maintence" workers"

By the way you spelled "maintenance" wrong.

"this isn't a place to goof off at and not get any work done. It was a cut the fat operation to weed out the useless... OK lazy."

You're joking right?

"Those with tenure were asked to leave and given "nice" retirement settlements."

Huh?

"Talk to any associate, we are quite happy."

Are any of these associates hourly paid or drivers you are talking to?

Are you joking? Were you drunk or high when you typed this?

You must literally have a hole burned in the side of your head form staring at all those bright orange trucks form your cushy captains chair in your cubicle since, and here is another and I quote " I know I can walk into Don Jr's office or Chris' for that matter." We all can piece together that puzzle.

Hey Ryan, when was the last time your cubicle broke down or have you ever sat waiting for a load for 72 hours so you can hopefully crack the nut for the week so you can pay for food for your family and your mortgage on time? Hold on, I know times are tough though for all the major carriers right now, I get it.

Wait, before I get too ahead of myself. The last time Ryan posted was 23 months ago, hes more than likely either been laid off or fired by SNI by now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angelbrea in London, Kentucky

25 months ago

To Ryan, My husband was let go two weeks before Christmas after dedicating his life for 16 yrs. He is not lazy. Infact, He is a work-a-holic. He would put 40 hours in a few days easily. If he wasn't working at work he was working at home. He was manager of a shop which held a 7 1/2 yr safty record and has saved Schieder hundred of thousands of dollors. Infact, his shop was one of the best. But I truely believe Schneider doesn't care about thier associates. We have a son with epilepsy and with that comes large bills. He was flown out in an helicopter three times to go to a childrens hopsital and not to mention he his taking 2 types of sezure meds. which is about 8 hundred dollors a month. Plus, My husband was diagnost with sever depression in o9. Just one of his meds was over $1,100. They wanted him to transfer to a shop that was closing. But we didn't know that at them time. After he turned it down they closed the shop. I truely believe that he was fired because of his disability and the cost of what it was to help him and our small son. It probably saved this sorry company a boat load of money. Even some of the high up people was upset when he was let go. So, all that Schneider cares about is money, not the people. They are a joke when they say that they care. What goes around comes around. They didn't even give him a severance package. They also wanted him to sign a paper saying he resigned in which he didn't. Plus, if you resign, you don't get unemployment. What a sorry exuse of a company.,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angelbrea in London, Kentucky

25 months ago

Dave Hansen in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: I was involved in the Aug 06 layoff and I am far from lazy. I was the most productive and fastest in my department. But I am 52, older, with an 8 year old with medical issues, i.e. Bills. That's how Schneider operates, they trim their costs by eliminating the most expensive employees, relatively speaking. I had 5 weeks of vacation and lots of medical expense to the company. Now they can hire someone younger for less money and little medical. I have always been able to see through Schneider's tactics and lack of tact.

An Expert on Schneider

I know about the medical bills. Our son has epilepsy hand has stayed in Cincinati childrens hospital and Uk childrens. Has had three helicopter rides with countless ambulance rides. Not to mention the meds. which is over 800 dollors a month. My husband which had the best shop and is a work a holic. has meds that is 1100 dollers a month and that is just one medication. I totaly agree with you, Schneider lets go of the most expensive, to h*&l with what that family is going through. He was there for 16 yrs. and two weeks before Christmas he was let go. Now we are having to sell our vehicles to try and afford the meds that our son and my husband needs. Schnider is a descrace. And as for Ryan, If it is Chris L. We know him quite welll. He was very upset that he was let go. All I have to say is what goes around comes around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

willis21611 in League City, Texas

23 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Schneider National stack up against the competition?

ill say this about the company , as a old driver been trough dallas training and put on road i worked for the company only 6 months cause my DBL told me i hade to sign a letter stateing i was to drive any were i was told and only make 700 a week only not to move forward or get a raise only get a bonus lol, hum i said whats the bonus , he said i could be up to 700 lol, i said ok ill think about this, now remember he told me at the phone call i was only to go to houston and some times to dallas , lmao. now after being put on this account i was told to drive to brownsville and bastrop L.A. lol and do my other drops on the account . i never made over 700 but two pay checks lmao, schneider distroyed my driveing i lost all intrest in driveing for any company after taxes and insurance i made maybe 578.00 a week and drove over 2500 miles a week or more ever week. and i never hade time to have a sit down lunch break in my 14 hour work day ever day . i find this company as a hole bunch of liear;s and the corporate ways will distroy the company , in 10 years there will be no company here , REMEMBER THIS NEW DRIVERS, the only thing your DBL cares about is makeing him money and getting a % of your income ONLY he dont care about you your family or anyone eles , he will get his money FIRST, not YOU , THIS IS FACTS SORRY FOR ALL THIS BUT I BEEN TROUGH THIS WITH THIS PISS POOR COMPANY ,and if you try to get a refferal lmao, it will take up to 3 months and they will tax you on that lol. THIS COMPANY WILL SIGN A CONTRACT WITH YOU STATEING YOU WILL BE PAYED 32 CENT A MILE LOL YOU WILL RECEIVE ONLY 17 CENT A MILE , CHECK OUT OTHER DRIVERS NEW GUYS NOT THE OLD TRAINERS THERE DOING THAT TO MAKE UP MONEY THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN MAKE IT IN THIS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

willis21611 in League City, Texas

23 months ago

I WILL GO ON TO SAY ILL NEVER DRIVE FOR ANY LARGE COMPANY AGAIN IN MY LIFE , I BEEN TOLD BY A ATTORNEY TO TO FILE ON THEM FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT . ITS WRITEN IN ALL CONTRACTS ON THE BOTTOM LOL. PAY WILL CHANGE LOL. YEAH IT DOES LMAO FOR THE WORSE NOT THE BETTER , SO MANY OTHER COMPANYS LAUGH AT SCHNEIDER NATL LOL . THEY KNOW IN TIME THEY WILL GET THE CONTRACTS , SWIFT- WARRNER- SCHNEIDER SIT ON SAME BOARD LOL , THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOME THING IS BAD WRONG WITH THIS TRUCKING COMPANY AND SO MANY OTHERS , I HAVE SEEN TO MANY LEAVE THIS COMPANY WHAN I WAS WORKING OR FIRED CAUSE OF ASKING FOR MORE MONEY , REMEMBER YOUR ONLY A NUMBER NOTHING MORE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, GOD BLESS ALL MY FORMER DRIVERS WORKING FOR THE COMPANY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.