Job and conviction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Dona in Newark, New Jersey

119 months ago

I have a Bank Fraud conviction and i am on probation for another 8 months, I have not been able to get a job for two years now the only places i havn't applied for Sears and Kmart and other Department stores, other than that i was not hired by the smallest or the bigest companies around in NY or NJ area
how do i get a job?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Haji Catton in Uniondale, New York

118 months ago

Dona in Newark, New Jersey said: how do i get a job?

Don't mention your conviction.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

tom in Chattanooga, Tennessee

118 months ago

Talk to your p.o about dropping your probation & have a judge bury it

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rain in Orlando, Florida

118 months ago

tom in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: Talk to your p.o about dropping your probation & have a judge bury it

Speaking as a former HR Generalist with Sears Holidings I can tell you, DO NOT LIE and DO NOT OMIT. If you look, the application asks if you have been convicted of a crime, not whether its a misdemeanor or felony. The background check company that Sears Holdings uses can see charges as well as convictions. You can say anything you like, but if you lie on that application, you wont be hired. Period. Ever.

Be honest from the application forward and you will have a good chance of getting hired, as long as you are not dealing with money or credit information in the position you are applying for. With that particular conviction that you have, you will not get a register or call center position with Sears Holdings under any circumstances.

By the way, I don't care how much a lawyer or judge 'buries' something, Sears Holdings will find it.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mistreated

116 months ago

I have never had so much as a speeding ticket and I am having a hard time finding honest work myself. It may not JUST be your criminal record.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bobm in Canton, Massachusetts

113 months ago

Dona in Newark, New Jersey said: I have a Bank Fraud conviction and i am on probation for another 8 months, I have not been able to get a job for two years now the only places i havn't applied for Sears and Kmart and other Department stores, other than that i was not hired by the smallest or the bigest companies around in NY or NJ area
how do i get a job?

_________________
DEAR FRAUD PERSON,
I LIVE AROUND BOSTON, MA AND DRIVING JOBS GO BEGGING,
MEANING THERE ARE ALOT OF THEM... DRIVE A SMALL ASTRO VAN OR CAR .... TAKE THE KIDS TO SCHOOL

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bobm in Canton, Massachusetts

113 months ago

I LIVE IN CANTON SOUTH OF BOSTON. ANY ONE LOOKING FOR JOB.
TRY DRIVING A VAN OR TAKE THE KIDS OR SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS TO SCHOOL.. ITS CRUMMY PAY 9.50 HOUR BUT YOU CAN TAKE THE VAN HOME WITH YOU, AND SOME COMPANIES GIVE YOU SOME FREE MILEAGE, BUT THEY WANT VAN ON ROAD IN MORNING AND ITS A SPLIT SHIFT......

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bobm in Canton, Massachusetts

113 months ago

BOB M in Canton, Massachusetts said: I LIVE IN CANTON SOUTH OF BOSTON. ANY ONE LOOKING FOR JOB.
TRY DRIVING A VAN OR TAKE THE KIDS OR SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS TO SCHOOL.. ITS CRUMMY PAY 9.50 HOUR BUT YOU CAN TAKE THE VAN HOME WITH YOU, AND SOME COMPANIES GIVE YOU SOME FREE MILEAGE, BUT THEY WANT VAN ON ROAD IN MORNING AND ITS A SPLIT SHIFT......

" TRY A SECURITY JOB .... MAY BE

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bobm in Canton, Massachusetts

110 months ago

WENDY said: WHAT CONVICTION........HOW DO YOU KNOW HAJI CATTON?

____________________________________________-
I try and give everyone advice I do not know him

bob

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bobm in Canton, Massachusetts

110 months ago

Dona in Newark, New Jersey said: I have a Bank Fraud conviction and i am on probation for another 8 months, I have not been able to get a job for two years now the only places i havn't applied for Sears and Kmart and other Department stores, other than that i was not hired by the smallest or the bigest companies around in NY or NJ area
how do i get a job?

---------------------------
If you are on PAROLE WILL THAT OFFICER HELP YOU.
BOB

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bobm in Canton, Massachusetts

110 months ago

THE BEST TO ALL
BOB

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

dnny1123

99 months ago

ive done some applications for sears and kmart and i think the survey they give you is stupid, some of the questions i think are wrong because theres four possibles answers and the one you pick could be a good answer but if its not thier answer your wrong
And to top it off, the starting pay is nothing to be happy about
Danny

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Single mom in Tinley Park, Illinois

15 months ago

Rain in Orlando, Florida said: Speaking as a former HR Generalist with Sears Holidings I can tell you, DO NOT LIE and DO NOT OMIT. If you look, the application asks if you have been convicted of a crime, not whether its a misdemeanor or felony. The background check company that Sears Holdings uses can see charges as well as convictions. You can say anything you like, but if you lie on that application, you wont be hired. Period. Ever.

Be honest from the application forward and you will have a good chance of getting hired, as long as you are not dealing with money or credit information in the position you are applying for. With that particular conviction that you have, you will not get a register or call center position with Sears Holdings under any circumstances.

By the way, I don't care how much a lawyer or judge 'buries' something, Sears Holdings will find it.

They can only go back for the time frame they inquire about their application states 1 year if you have not been convicted within the previous year you should be okay if it says 7 years they go back 7 years. Felonies do not define who you are hold on to that. Everyone makes mistakes not everyone gets caught. Depending on where you live there are some programs that will the company that hires you not only a tax credit but bonding as well - There are places that will hire you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Nate711 in Nebraska

6 months ago

I find it absolutely despicable that so many employers will not hire someone because of a criminal charge, especially if the job has nothing to do with the offense. I have one conviction on my record from five years ago (doesn't involve any other person) and I cannot find employment. I have a college degree, experience, and great references, but all employers care about is your criminal history. It's so sad, and needs to be illegal.

Today I was turned down by Sears after being offered the job. They ran the background check, and found out I had a conviction, and took back their employment offer.

As a society, we need to look at establishing laws that make it illegal for employers to do this to people. I'm actually considering moving to a different country, just so I can make a living.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

KK in Sanford, Florida

4 months ago

Tampa, Fl

They have a problem with a conviction of driving while license suspended. Fu** sears. They dont even pay sh*t. I have had better jobs that pay way more than this joke.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

KK in Sanford, Florida

4 months ago

I have 12 felonies from when I was young and work for Macys. They do not do a background check. They pay more than sears as well.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

KK in Sanford, Florida

4 months ago

I live in FL. On the background it says in the last 7 years have you been convicted...why would they look past 7 years if that is the requirement?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful in Buena Park, California

4 months ago

don't work at low wage companies like Sears or Macys anyways.

You can always find work in construction, or the port yard. Truck driving as well, there are many options where an ex felon or someone with a record can be doing, and pay much better than a slave wage retail position.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in State College, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

It is hard to find a job with a felony but it is not impossible. You will have to fill out way more applications than most people but it will happen. You have to make getting a job your job, live it and breath it. Just my 2 cents.

here are a few things I googled that may help you.

www.helpforfelons.org/companies-that-hire-felons/

www.snagajob.com/resources/how-to-get-a-job-with-felony-record/

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Boycott sears in Wilmington, Delaware

9 days ago

I was completely honest and upfront about my SINGLE non-violent drug possession charge and they didn't hire me for a electronics sales job. This was in NJ.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

wronganswer in La Grange, Illinois

9 days ago

Haji Catton in Uniondale, New York said: Don't mention your conviction.
WONG ANSWER THEY WILL FIND IT

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.