Count on being treated like garbage...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mistreated

85 months ago

This Loss Prevention position is to replace me. I was the LP associate that got fired. I was there for 29 days.

I started June 1st 2007 and I apprehended a shoplifter on my FIRST DAY! It was nothing major. Just a ten dollar set of earrings. A week later I apprehended a couple for stealing 213 dollars of cologne and baby clothes. They were arrested. A few days later I received a subpoena from the Salem, NH Police department for this case. On the 18th of July, after I returned from court, Salem, NH Loss Prevention Manager Chris Massey fired me for.......Not for having issues with my attendance, no code of conduct violation, no performance issues, but for "Having a strong personality." and for "Having ideas about loss prevention that are different from Sears."

His basis for the latter was the fact that I politely, professionally, and non confrontationally expressed to him a couple days earlier that it was causing me concern that I had to lose observation of shoplifting suspects because merchandise pick up associates were constantly banging on my door to fetch a camera for a customer. We kept them locked in a room where only LP had the key.

It is also not unusual at Sears for an incontinent elderly person or toddler to, shall we say, not make it to the toilet in time. At Sears, it is the SOLE RESPONSIBILITY of loss prevention to clean up the mess. I politely, professionally, and non confrontationally expressed my concerns about this to LPM Chris Massey since neither I nor anyone else in the LP office had been trained or certified in cleaning up bio hazardous pathogens. I admit I do have a strong personality. That strength stems from a burning desire to not only succeed but to excel. Apparently this was all it took to lead to my termination.

Sears mission statement states under core values that they seek to "treat everyone fairly and value diversity." So before you apply for a job a Sears, remember that diversity DOES NOT INCLUDE ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JEFF in Phoenix, Arizona

85 months ago

I see this position in the paper here in PHX.
call center team manager
ever couple months in the paper.
Beware !!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

Sounds to me like you need to get a life and get over the fact that you got fired...again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

85 months ago

Mistreated said: A few days later I received a subpoena from the Salem, NH Police department for this case. On the 18th of July, after I returned from court, Salem, NH Loss Prevention Manager Chris Massey fired me for.......Not for having issues with my attendance, no code of conduct violation, no performance issues, but for "Having a strong personality." and for "Having ideas about loss prevention that are different from Sears."

I could be wrong, but it sure sounds like you were so intimidating to the "merchandise pick up associates" that there were afraid to speak up until you were not in the store.

A customer in any business is the most important thing. If an associate is trying to supply a customer with a purchased item, that is more important than trying to catch someone who is stealing. A thief will never be able to take more merchandise than the customers who are buying and paying for the merchandise.

Obviously, the items that were high value and easily stolen were in yor care, so nothing else in the store was of that much significance as far as being of high value and easily stolen. That is where you ideas of loss prevention were different than the store's way of doing business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

85 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: I could be wrong, but it sure sounds like you were so intimidating to the "merchandise pick up associates" that there were afraid to speak up until you were not in the store.

A customer in any business is the most important thing. If an associate is trying to supply a customer with a purchased item, that is more important than trying to catch someone who is stealing. A thief will never be able to take more merchandise than the customers who are buying and paying for the merchandise.

Obviously, the items that were high value and easily stolen were in yor care, so nothing else in the store was of that much significance as far as being of high value and easily stolen. That is where you ideas of loss prevention were different than the store's way of doing business.

The only thing that you said in your post that was in any way accurate was the first part of the first sentence. And actually the Merch pick up associates and I got along very well. I doubt they would be intimidated by someone half their size. Not that I am small, most of them are quite large!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

85 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: Sounds to me like you need to get a life and get over the fact that you got fired...again.

Sounds to me like you need to pry your lips from the ass of your employer, pick the corn kernels and peanut chunks out of your teeth, re-read the post, and think objectively.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Someone who knows in Georgetown, Kentucky

85 months ago

Mistreated said: This Loss Prevention position is to replace me. I was the LP associate that got fired. I was there for 29 days.

I started June 1st 2007 and I apprehended a shoplifter on my FIRST DAY! It was nothing major. Just a ten dollar set of earrings. A week later I apprehended a couple for stealing 213 dollars of cologne and baby clothes. They were arrested. A few days later I received a subpoena from the Salem, NH Police department for this case. On the 18th of July, after I returned from court, Salem, NH Loss Prevention Manager Chris Massey fired me for.......Not for having issues with my attendance, no code of conduct violation, no performance issues, but for "Having a strong personality." and for "Having ideas about loss prevention that are different from Sears."

His basis for the latter was the fact that I politely, professionally, and non confrontationally expressed to him a couple days earlier that it was causing me concern that I had to lose observation of shoplifting suspects because merchandise pick up associates were constantly banging on my door to fetch a camera for a customer. We kept them locked in a room where only LP had the key.

It is also not unusual at Sears for an incontinent elderly person or toddler to, shall we say, not make it to the toilet in time. At Sears, it is the SOLE RESPONSIBILITY of loss prevention to clean up the mess. I politely, professionally, and non confrontationally expressed my concerns about this to LPM Chris Massey since neither I nor anyone else in the LP office had been trained or certified in cleaning up bio hazardous pathogens. I admit I do have a strong personality. That strength stems from a burning desire to not only succeed but to excel. Apparently this was all it took to lead to my termination.

Sears mission statement states under core values that they seek to "treat everyone fairly and value diversity." So before you apply for a job a Sears, remember that diversity DOES NOT INCLUDE ideas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I to worked at Sears and they do treat you like your a number. I gave them 70+ hours a week and a 18% profit in sales for the year plus a great inventory number and what did I get? I got fired because I did not know of a policy that was never explained to me nor was it in the 64+ hours of online training. I wasn't even given a warning. Sears is a horrible company to work for!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

85 months ago

Seems like out of the blue and without any warning appears to be the Sears business model.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Dayton, Ohio

84 months ago

I would never work for these people. They only wanted to pay 6.85 a hour. No one can live on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

They tried to make me think it was privelige to work for them but I found out that they are very self centered. They expect their managers to work around the clock to get things done but if they would step back and look at all they pile on the manager's plate, they would see how impossible it is for the managers to manage. I can't tell you how often I was told by my superiors of how they ran their stores. Do they not realize that today is a different time and the work force and workload is different? Also, it is now more competitive! I don't know how they thing they can compete with so low of wages. You can flip a burger for more than they are willing to pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

First of all my lips are hardly on the ass of my employer. If it was as bad as you people claim it to be, get off your asses and get new jobs. Its probably your own fault that you got fired. With all that I've seen people get away with, its almost impossoble to get fired...unless you really screw up or you have to be a real loser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Tell me why Sears has such a high turnover? Do you actually know how high the turnover rate was last year? It wasn't from people getting fired.............it was due to people being dissatisfied.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: First of all my lips are hardly on the ass of my employer. If it was as bad as you people claim it to be, get off your asses and get new jobs. Its probably your own fault that you got fired. With all that I've seen people get away with, its almost impossoble to get fired...unless you really screw up or you have to be a real loser.

I agree. I have found this to be true across many businesses. In fact, when a person is fired from a job, it usually means they have been screwing up royally for a long time and in many different ways and finally the employer found something solid to use as justification for the firing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

84 months ago

If I had screwed up royally over a consistant period of time, I would have been given at least some type of warning or have been spoken...and I wasn't. EVER!!! It was totally and completely out of the clear blue sky.

So once again, remove your lips from your employers ass, re read the opening post, and learn to think objectively before making abrasive statements on something which you know very little about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Im sure you were given plenty of warning but you seem overly hot headed and probably ignored the warning(s). I think it was just you. Hell if you worked for me, well I probably wouldnt have hired you so nevermind. And Im sure you werent fired out of the clear blue sky. You probably said something stupid to the wrong person or people and thats what got you fired. You dont seem to smart to me so I bet thats what happened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Mistreated said: So once again, remove your lips from your employers ass, re read the opening post, and learn to think objectively before making abrasive statements on something which you know very little about.

I AM an employer and I am telling you it costs a lot of time and money to have to send documentation to the unemployment folks to prove the employee was fired on just cause; buy ads to attract a new replacement employee; train the new employee; and pay the new employee a salary that is not really earned until he/she is up to speed. We hate to have to fire someone and don't do it lightly. It is generally a last resort and the erring employee is generally given every chance to redeem himself/herself. These warnings were covered in your unemployment hearing and if you truly feel you were fired unjustly, then appeal the case.

Aside from that, using terminology such as you are using; saying that a customer is not the most important person in a business situation; and naming names of the employer's management on a public forum shows that you are not the sort of person who would be a good employee. That is evidence of your having an incompatible attitude to employee/employer relations.

Again, if you have a case, appeal but it is useless to go around abusing people on these forums because you were fired. We can neither do anything about it nor do we really care, frankly because you are not our ex-employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

84 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: Im sure you were given plenty of warning but you seem overly hot headed and probably ignored the warning(s). I think it was just you. Hell if you worked for me, well I probably wouldnt have hired you so nevermind. And Im sure you werent fired out of the clear blue sky. You probably said something stupid to the wrong person or people and thats what got you fired. You dont seem to smart to me so I bet thats what happened.

If you want to falsely assume that, go ahead. As for hotheadedness, you drew first blood. If I hit a nerve, well, that's what you get for living in a glass house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Mistreated said: If you want to falsely assume that, go ahead. As for hotheadedness, you drew first blood. If I hit a nerve, well, that's what you get for living in a glass house.

Oh give us a break! That is absolutely childish. "Well, Mom, he started it!"

The other poster is correct. You DON"T seem too bright.

BTW, if you are ever asked by an employer to do something that you have not been trained on, it is up to you to ask for the training. A floor with a puddle IS a part of loss prevention in a business. If a customer slips and falls, the company can lose a lot more than a couple hundred dollars in a lawsuit. The LOSS due to theft is minuscule by comparison.

Besides, your peer type person (the poster who says he/she is in LP agrees you are not cut out to do the job. How can you argue against that?

The so called "assumptions" are based on what you have said here. If there is additional information, then post it, but so far, it appears you were justly fired for "having a strong personality" (which you admitted)and are displaying that now in a childish manner.

If the merc associates and you were such great pals, then why do you refer to them as having to "bang" on your door? That indicates you must have been ignoring them to some extent and thereby were ignoring customer needs.

Your complaints to management about the way things were (no matter how well you put it) indicates you either did not understand the job or disagreed with management's directives.

If this was my forum, I would have banned you for the "corn kernels and peanut chunks" remark alone. In other words, in my opinion you should be "fired" from this venue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

84 months ago

1. I would say it's a little hard to ask for a days worth of training when there is a massive steaming pile of projectile diarhea that's splattered all over the floor and wall sitting there needing to be cleaned up AT THAT MOMENT. I never brought it up as not being part of my job. You did. Do you think before you speak/type?

2. My so called "peer" has never seen me work. For your information, my REAL peers were just as shocked and disapointed as I was.

3. What I brought up to management were valid questions. Not complaints. Yes there is much additional information. Unfortunately I am limited to a specific number of characters.

Hey listen, if you love working for Sears, by all means good for you. I am glad they treat you so well that you are willing to defend them from the grievances of those whom they have wronged on your own unpaid time. Do me a favor though, if you are going to make a personal value judgement about my intellect and work ethic, make sure you have ALL the information first. I am not going to engage you in a pissing contest. It's obvious that you're experience with the company is a positive one. Good for you. I'm glad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

84 months ago

As far as being "fired" from this forum, I don't get paid to be here. Do you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Mistreated said: Hey listen, if you love working for Sears, by all means good for you. I am glad they treat you so well that you are willing to defend them from the grievances of those whom they have wronged on your own unpaid time. Do me a favor though, if you are going to make a personal value judgement about my intellect and work ethic, make sure you have ALL the information first.

I do not work for Sears. Actually I have a very low opinion of Sears and the people who work there. I suppose that is why I have such a low opinion of you - even Sears wouldn't have you. :)

I do not have to have any more facts to make my decision. I have heard this argument before. Where do you folks get that idea? You make statements that indicate a certain thing and then when someone tells you that is what it sounds like, your recourse is to say, "Well you don't have all the facts." That is totally illogical. One only has to read vulgar expressions as you have used (as example) to determine a writer is of low intellect and has little ability to offer intelligent rebuttal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Mistreated said: As far as being "fired" from this forum, I don't get paid to be here. Do you?

Look up the word, "metaphor." That is another sign of your low intellect. The metaphorical reference of being fired from the forum went right over your head.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Midwest

84 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: Sounds to me like you need to get a life and get over the fact that you got fired...again.

Spoken like a true corp. clown, who has not been let go. Corp. clowns are a dime-a-dozen, and guess what? They'll dump you just as fast some day !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Midwest

84 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: First of all my lips are hardly on the ass of my employer. If it was as bad as you people claim it to be, get off your asses and get new jobs. Its probably your own fault that you got fired. With all that I've seen people get away with, its almost impossoble to get fired...unless you really screw up or you have to be a real loser.

WRONG, LIPS !I was permanently laid-off after 21+ years from a Fortune 300 corp.
Me (55) and another guy (60) were 2 of the top 4 sales producers during the fiscal year out of 11 people in a District. The only other 2 people in our geographical area finished in the bottom 7, and were 25-35 years old. They were kept. 2 Lessons: don't reach your fifties and max-out on the earnings scale. Other lesson: fifty and above, you are not hiring material - they look right through you !This country is headed for social turmoil like you've never seen. So, keep your head low, and your lips well-lubed !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

You're just a loser. You got fired get over it. I dont think you can come to terms with not working there anymore. I bet you are just hurt that you liked the job so much and they didnt like you. I actually feel quite bad for you. I hope you get help. You obviously need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Concord, North Carolina

84 months ago

How was the e-mail addresses in sears written

ex: first name secondname@sears.com
ex: first initial last name@sears.com

or any other way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ex-worker in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

I workes in the shoe dept., and boy, people would steal atleast 3 pairs of shoes a day. Atleast they would leave the moldy ones behind. Calling AP/LP did not help, since they would only suggest me to throw it away and assume I did not see it. Poor LP personnel, they basically work stock,loss prevention, and perform cleaning crew duties. Everyone in LP always complained about pay and eventually left. There would be days were there were no LP personnel and we literally had to open the store and forget that they never showed up. I remember when a customer lounged for the register and grabbed $300 in chash and 3 checks, i instinctively grabbed the money and checks, put in the register and called LP. The suspect ran away, and thank god nothing happened to me. Well, I expected a $25 gift card for what I did, but LP refused. Reason: I recovered the money and checks. "I was told "you should have let him go," WOW! that's BS, so I never bothered to call LP siince then, let them loose $300 in chash and 5,000 in cusomters checks (wich had personal info).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

ex-worker in Chicago, Illinois said: "I was told "you should have let him go," WOW! that's BS, so I never bothered to call LP siince then, let them loose $300 in chash and 5,000 in cusomters checks (wich had personal info).

The reason for that rule is that you are not trained on how to deal with a desperate person who intends to steal. The point is that you are very lucky and so is the store. The situation could have resulted in you being shot by the thief which would have resulted in a medical cost of much more than $300. Moreover, it could have resulted in the thief shooting or otherwise causing harm to customers standing nearby and that could have cost the company millions in lawsuits.

Don't try to be a hero. Stores these days have cameras and other means of handling the situation. There are trained police officers on duty off the store's premises who can be alerted to follow the suspect and apprehend with little chance of violence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alexandria in Saint Louis, Missouri

84 months ago

Wow, Charlie's right. I wouldn't wag my finger at you for being brave, but what if the person was desperate enough to hurt you or worse? Watch the cop shows on Spike TV or Court TV. Seeing the attacks that occur at gas stations or corner stores is upsetting enough. You work in an environment with far better security so there is no need for you to risk your health.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carpathia in Huntsville, Alabama

84 months ago

I don't feel like going into detail, but I worked for Sears for 3 years and I can tell you that if at all possible, work elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

LPGUY

84 months ago

Move on. Sounds like your attitude got in the way. Get over it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

DEGetter in Spokane, Washington

83 months ago

Interesting reads, I was thinking about applying, very dissapointing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott

83 months ago

I worked LP for Sears in NY it started off good. I applied online did the interviews and got hired. I was good at the job I knew from past experience what to look for as far shoplifters go. I got along with everyone including the LPM. I was working a closing shift with the LP Manager and we got to talking and I had mentioned that I had worked for the security department at the mall where this Sears is. The LPM looked at me and askd how I got the job because he had problems recently with the mall security and did not like them. After I had expressed that I quit the mall security dept for pretty much the same reasons my hours were cut down I was still doing my job and then the one day I was fired. I asked for a reason and was told that the LPM did not think I was right for the job. I work lp for another department store and Im averaging two stops a week sometimes more. Sears treats you like crap if you dont play by there rules and mistreated is right about everything. Some people are lucky and they do have good LP associates and Managers out there but I've heard so many complaints and see so many lp jobs open that something is wrong with the stores managment and not the associates themselves

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Stockbridge, Georgia

83 months ago

Scott said: Sears treats you like crap if you dont play by there rules

My goodness! Imagine a company manager expecting an employee to follow the company rules. What's the world coming to if we can't all just waltz into a job and do it the way we want? They should fire all management personnel and let the employees self govern.

But wait a minute. Isn't that called anarchy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Scott

83 months ago

I'm not saying that employees shouldn't follow company rules but it is clear that if you have some knowledge that you can bring into Sears especially in LP you are seen as a threat to the LP Manager. I could care less about Sears or its loss prevention department because like I said I am working LP for another department store. It's just stupid that when you have knowledge that can benifit the job you are doing and you express it you are an outcast and then gotten rid of. Like I said Im sure there are great LP Mangers and LP Detectives but I haven't seen any around my neck of the woods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated in Hudson, New Hampshire

83 months ago

That is EXACTLY what happened to me! WORD FOR WORD! So much for "valuing diversity."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Sounds like a bunch of crying babies who got fired from a job they liked and cant handle it. Its not that Sears doesnt value diversity,its just that they didnt value you. I dont even know you and I completely understand why you got fired. Hell I'd probably tell you not to come back into the store if I were them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Scott

83 months ago

I made a stop the other day and when I was looking for my stores merchandise I found clothing from Sears! So being the nice guy that I am I called Sears LP and asked if they wanted to come down to my office to collect there stuff and they turned me down I guess they were to embarrassed to collect what belonged to them. Seems like the LP has gone to hell since I've been there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott

83 months ago

LP Guy Mistreated and I are speaking from experience about what Sears is like.You obviously have a good store and good LPM.There are some real jerks out there that got there jobs because they either worked hard for it or in my case knew the right person to get the position.Sometimes jobs dont work out and you move on but it is nice to know that some people have had some of the same experiences that you have had. I like the company I do LP for now its in the same mall and I see the Sears people every once and awhile. I try to be nice and say hi or even return there stuff when they miss a case it seems like the LPM and people I worked with havent moved on. Anyway LP Guy best of luck to you I really mean that I dont know you but you sound like your good at LP so I hope your career with Sears goes far and I hope ya stay safe when making stops (We all know how some people get when the cuffs come out.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia

83 months ago

Scott said: I made a stop the other day and when I was looking for my stores merchandise I found clothing from Sears! So being the nice guy that I am I called Sears LP and asked if they wanted to come down to my office to collect there stuff and they turned me down

Then Sears was right in their decision that you are not right for the job. In order to be successful in any sort of law enforcement, you have to be able to think like a criminal would but be honest yourself.

Here is why they didn't come... They were not about to abandon their post to go running off to your store over some clothes. Would you have abandoned yours to take the clothes to their store?

Consider this scenario... Say a thief wants to steal a high value item from Sears. The item is not guarded closely but the theft will be seen by the security guard. The thief calls the Sears LP office and tells them the same story you told them. The Sears guard leaves his post and comes to your office to retrieve the clothes and you have no idea why he is there. While you are gone, the thief takes the high value item from Sears and gets away. Obviously the Sears guard is better at his job than you are. It is no wonder you were fired. You are in the wrong profession.

Were you ever in the military? There are orders that always apply no matter what and apply especially to any guard duty situation. They are called general orders. One of the most import of them is "To never quit one's post until properly relieved."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

83 months ago

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia said: Then Sears was right in their decision that you are not right for the job. In order to be successful in any sort of law enforcement, you have to be able to think like a criminal would but be honest yourself.

Here is why they didn't come... They were not about to abandon their post to go running off to your store over some clothes. Would you have abandoned yours to take the clothes to their store?

Consider this scenario... Say a thief wants to steal a high value item from Sears. The item is not guarded closely but the theft will be seen by the security guard. The thief calls the Sears LP office and tells them the same story you told them. The Sears guard leaves his post and comes to your office to retrieve the clothes and you have no idea why he is there. While you are gone, the thief takes the high value item from Sears and gets away. Obviously the Sears guard is better at his job than you are. It is no wonder you were fired. You are in the wrong profession.

Were you ever in the military? There are orders that always apply no matter what and apply especially to any guard duty situation. They are called general orders. One of the most import of them is "To never quit one's post until properly relieved."

That's why LP associates who use their heads send another associate or manager on duty to retrieve the stolen goods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia

83 months ago

[

Mistreated said: That's why LP associates who use their heads send another associate or manager on duty to retrieve the stolen goods.

And a manager on duty is suppose to let the management of the store go on hold while he/she goes to a competitor to retrieve a few dollars worth of clothes when there is no proof the clothes were even stolen? The clothes have already been accounted for in the loss and are a cost of doing business. The same "staying at your post" applies to the manager. In fact that is even more serious. What happens if a customer situation arises or some critical decision has to be made while that manager is away?

As for associates, why didn't you have an "associate" who was free to be sent to deliver r the clothes to Sears?

You were not correct in your decision to think that it was a fault of Sears. You have already told us the Mall has black marked you and Sears has fired you. You are probably known throughout the mall.

I am surprised you still work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Scott

83 months ago

Charlie in reading your comments it is clear you have no idea of what you are talking about! Have you ever worked in LP or in retail in general? LP is not Law Enforcement.It is Security nothing more. LP just like in any security is there to observe react and then report.Second LP is in an unmarked office watching cameras and in very few cases walking the floor.You are in plan cloths not a uniform and if you are doing your job rite you blend in with shoppers or other store employees when out on the floor. Now knowing the Sears that I worked at would like to recover there merchandise I made a courtesy call to them there is nothing wrong with getting the mechandise back only thing they can't do is press charges for petite larceny.There are always two or three people at one time working in the lp office on any given day. My store is not far from Sears all they had to do is knock on my door I would give them there stuff and that is that. And if the LP from Sears carried a radio like they should always be doing when not in the office they would know if they had a case in there own store. I was alittle to busy making my report up seperating my merchandise from other stores that these people hit and adding the total of all my merchandise to determine what charges to press and then calling and waiting for the local police to show up. Unless I am fighting with someone or chasing someone a shoplifter in custody call may sit for a few minutes or an hour depending on the call volume of the police. I am responsible for that person so I can't leave the room to ask someone from my store to go to Sears. Finally I do know that the items were stolen because there was no proof of these people buying them I talked to these people and simply ask did you buy it or steal it and they came forward and admitted they stole the stuff. I called every store with merchandise that they couldn't prove they bought as a courtesy. If anyone has they wrong idea about LP its you Charlie

Mistreated

83 months ago

Charlie would be perfect for Sears. He takes a small, petty, insignificant detail, and with great shock and vitriol, makes it out to be the biggest most horrific catastrophe to the Nth degree of what it actually is. Then uses said useless, petty, insignificant detail to justify completely turning upside down the actor of that detail who otherwise was very productive. You should work for Sears Charlie. You'd fit right in with their culture of intolerance, secrecy, favoritism, and mismanagement.

queenbee in Westminster, Maryland

83 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: Im sure you were given plenty of warning but you seem overly hot headed and probably ignored the warning(s). I think it was just you. Hell if you worked for me, well I probably wouldnt have hired you so nevermind. And Im sure you werent fired out of the clear blue sky. You probably said something stupid to the wrong person or people and thats what got you fired. You dont seem to smart to me so I bet thats what happened.

knowing management with shc it sounds like you said something to them
that made them worry about thier jobs. Anyone who shows intelligience
and integrity are the first to go. These people are so afraid of losing thier jobs they were afraid of you showing them up (which would not be hard to do)
Be glad you got out of there before they could set you up for one of thier weekly screw ups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

Scott said: Charlie in reading your comments it is clear you have no idea of what you are talking about!

If that is true then tell me why Sears declined? I have worked in retail and I know how the LP function operates.

Law enforcement is any function that involves enforcing the law and theft involves breaking laws. You are telling me you are in loss prevention and don't even know it is a type of law enforcement position? No wonder you guys are getting fired. If it wasn't a function of law enforcement you'd just slap the purp on the back of the hand and not have to contact the police.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

83 months ago

Charlie in Atlanta, Georgia said: If that is true then tell me why Sears declined? I have worked in retail and I know how the LP function operates.

Law enforcement is any function that involves enforcing the law and theft involves breaking laws. You are telling me you are in loss prevention and don't even know it is a type of law enforcement position? No wonder you guys are getting fired. If it wasn't a function of law enforcement you'd just slap the purp on the back of the hand and not have to contact the police.

What planet are you from? Read your state laws under "use of force by merchants." A merchant or an agent acting on behalf thereof who makes a detention of a shoplifter for the acts of willfull concealment and or shoplifting is making what is called a citizens arrest. A law enforcement entity serves the public. A security person in the private sector has NO ENFORCEABLE POWERS OF ARREST above that of a private citizen. Only a sworn certified peace officer does. Therefor, private security and loss prevention are NOT law enforcement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott

83 months ago

Charlie maybe things are different in Atlanta I don't know the laws down there.LP is not law enforcement LP is security and in security you have the power of detention not arrest. When making s stop on someone I am not arresting them I am detaining them on behalf of my store. I am not enforcing the state law I am enforcing the policy of my store. Mistreated is right again Law Enforcement is a sworn,certifed position that is why police officers have to go through an academy. If LP was a form of law enforcement that would mean that everytime I stopped someone for petie larceny I would be obligated to read them there Meranda Rights. But since I serve in a Security function only I am not obligated to do that. So LP is NOT Law Enforcement it is Security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake young in Keene, New Hampshire

82 months ago

Sounds like you work at a Sears store still run by Sears not K-Mart. Its a whole other ball game working at a Sear Essentials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.