My Sears experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 77)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

sunngoddess13 in Marietta, Georgia

95 months ago

I saw a job posted for a p/t office assistant. I applied online and was given the option of scheduleing my own interview! How cool was that, I thought. I arrived for my interview to find that the HR Manager was not even scheduled for that day. I was able to speak to the Store Manager and he was going to pass it on. Well, I have not heard anything and it has been over a week. I cannot reach anyone to follow-up (via phone or in person). I am not sure if this is a company I want to work for - do you? That is my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Shan in Dayton, Ohio

95 months ago

I went for a interview at Sears for Team Ad Display in the mornings, they only wanted me to work like 12 hours a week and no really chance of having the whole 12 hours each week they only wanted to pay like 6.55 a hour, please that is not worth the commute to Beavercreek Ohio where our sears is at.. Waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Frankfort, Kentucky

95 months ago

Happened to me. I scheduled my own interview, showed up, no manager was there that day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anoymous in Richmond, Virginia

95 months ago

sunngoddess13 said: I saw a job posted for a p/t office assistant. I applied online and was given the option of scheduleing my own interview! How cool was that, I thought. I arrived for my interview to find that the HR Manager was not even scheduled for that day. I was able to speak to the Store Manager and he was going to pass it on. Well, I have not heard anything and it has been over a week. I cannot reach anyone to follow-up (via phone or in person). I am not sure if this is a company I want to work for - do you? That is my experience.
It happened to me also. I scheduled the interview online, showed up, and there was no manager present to interview me. I was very angry and realized then that I did not want to work for them. About a month or so later, someone called from Sears to schedule an interview. I NEVER responded! You cannot think people are going to accept any kind of treatment. They would not want me to treat a customer/client that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Leavenworth, Kansas

95 months ago

I didn't do it online. I walked into the store, did my application on a computer and had my interview right afterwards. I was hired that same day. I worked at Sears for two and half years. It isn't the best pay but I had a great time working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Portland, Oregon

95 months ago

They do this at holiday time also...blast out dozens of ads and let the applicants do the legwork. I scheduled an interview online and then something came up the morning I was supposed to go in. I called the store and got lost in their voicemail system. When I finally got to the HR department extension (I think) it rang about 30 times before someone answered--I almost gave up thinking maybe they were not open yet but it was after 10 AM. The guy that finally answered was not professional, did not identify himself or the department, was not an employee of the HR department, did not know how to help me and did not take any inititive to find someone who could help me. I left a message with him to please let SOMEONE know that I wasn't going to make it in. He suggested I just reschedule as soon as possible (online, of course) and come another time because they were definately hiring and "needed people badly".

With this kind of experience I am not surprised they "need people badly"...my guess is their turnover is crazy. Just like Target, Macy's and the rest of the low-rent department stores. I did work for Mervyn's years ago (1987) and they were fine.

You know going in that none of them pay well and the hours always stink--that is the nature of retail sales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in College Station, Texas

94 months ago

I have been reading over the various comments about Sears and working for there and how horrible it is for some of yall. I am a current employee at a Sears in Texas that is classified as a B-line store which means we don't generate the type of revenue that a big city store would make. Our store is only one floor which is not common but we do what we can.

From my personal experience, I have learned a few things about the company. The most important thing I think needs to be understood is that store to store is going to vary completely. I have talked to other associates who were working at a different Sears before they moved for college and some indicated that they had positive experiences at their old store. So it clearly does depend heavily on the managers from what I can tell.

I have worked at the Sears near me for 1.5 years. Being paid $5.40 to fold clothes at PacSun at the mall was not doing it for me and my friend who just got hired in the Electronics department let me know they were hiring for one more. I applied on the stupid computer system that many retailers use and didn't bother with setting up a time on there because I had already been given notice that it would be best just to talk to the department manager and schedule it directly with him. Long story short, took about 3 weeks or so to finally get the ok to work and that was that.

I will attest that from my own experience, it does not appear that most the managers care one way or another about what happens to you. Why? Well tell me if 10-14 hour shifts seem like they care about you... I can't tell you how many of these awful shifts I have worked but that's just because our manager for the department is an idiot and claims that "I worked those kind of days when I worked at Montgomery Wards." FYI, they are out of business. It is even more frustrating that our Sears is located in a college town and most of the employees are students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

* FYI - RAN OUT OF ROOM *

This is frustrating because we see all the immoral and dumb decisions that are made daily with a college background. I think that of the 5 managers of our store, only our store manager has a college degree. Sad. But I do not have a problem with that really as long as the manager can effective manage and lead their workers. Of the 5 managers, I would say only two are actually good managers. The rest should be canned. For my own manager of Brand Central, he is simply a "yes" man and just does/says anything that will please the store manager. Reason? Well he is clearly an idiot and everyone in the store agrees and its the only thing that is keeping him around. Ignorant and dumb are a bad combination. And for the store manager, well he has made it clear that he does not want the store to be number one in our district, but doesn't want to be last. Reason? Stay under the radar so he doesn't have to do crap. FYI, our store recieved a 41/100 from a coporate officer no more than a month ago. Point proven. Direct comment from the officer on the survey, "I would never recommend this Sears to anyone I knew or ever met." =)

You may ask, why do you stay working there if it is so bad? Well it isn't all bad. First off, being in a college town, jobs come and go often but the pay generally sucks all around. So for me to start at $7/hr plus commission was a god send. I averaged about $10/hr or so and for around here, that is pretty good. Also, as mentioned before, all of the college employees created a fun youthful environment for the floor when the managers weren't bugging us. And recently I have been promoted to Appliances where the average pay for my fellow college students is around $15-$20/hr. That's why I am sticking around.

My point in all of this imformation is that Sears will work for some people, and for others it won't. It is true that the majority of our store employees would love to work elsewhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Noticed a spelling error above in "imformation" sorry...

Anyways, was saying that they would work elsewhere if the pay was the same or better. But our area doesn't have great opportunities too often from what I have seen.

Would I recommend someone to work for Sears? Only if you are working in a Commission based position and can deal with dumb policies and manager's ignorance often.

Hope that helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Escondido, California

93 months ago

I also applied on-line only to arrive for my appointment and find no one was there. Someone coming into the office had to locate the manager who acted like I was taking up his tim when he finally appeared. He barely looked at me during the whole interview, was about 25 years old and had the personality of a gnat. Wondered how he ever became the manager of such a large store. Thought I had the job as he mentioned that the appliance department would be a "good fit." Said if I did not hear from him, he found "someone better." Needless to say, I never heard a word so I hope whoever they found enjoys working for this idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Stockwell, Indiana

93 months ago

Sears called me for an interview, but I had to fly across the US for it. I was more than qualified for the position. (Police officer and corporate security) I told them I would not be interested in flying across the country at my own expense unless I was a leading candidate. They indicated that I was.

Paid $250 to make the flight and met with a manager who in my opinion was a joke. Got back and in a few days I received a form Email stating I was no longer being considered. They even failed to fill in the form email where it indicated what position etc.

Beware of even answering a job ad for Sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

needsomehelp in Brockton, Massachusetts

93 months ago

What kind of job was it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

? in Beale Afb, California

93 months ago

i would have to agree with all ur comments. It is a nice name to have on ur resume but their service does suck. they're not always what they say and don't do as they tell you, it is more like they'll do the exact opposite of what they say. i feel sorry for all the employees cause they have to deal with all the drama of what their boss causes when they don't do as they say but a paycheck is a paycheck. their pay is good but that's just how life is. live or die, whichever one u prefer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

former sears associate in Muskegon, Michigan

92 months ago

Sharon Homer in Summit Station, Pennsylvania said: Sears is racist and anti-female. I went to buy furniture as a single female and they asked me to get my father to sign the credit application. This is disgusting! I would never buy anything or work at such a sexist organization.

Dont blame the company for being sexist.it was the person who waited on you that is....not the company sorry.....get things right. a company in a whole doesnt know when one of their employees are saying things....hell headquarters dont really know any of the employees..give em a break

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Duxbury, Massachusetts

92 months ago

i assume you are of age to obtain a credit card, and if so then thats pretty insane. But certainly one associates way of thinking can not speak for an entire company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Duxbury, Massachusetts

92 months ago

what a lot of you don't know is when a interview is posted online, they dont get notice of it unless they look it up, and even then you cant go by because half of the appicants dont show up. Annoying, yes but calling ahead to confirm your appointment is the way to go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Edwardsville, Illinois

91 months ago

sunngoddess13 in Marietta, Georgia said: I saw a job posted for a p/t office assistant. I applied online and was given the option of scheduleing my own interview! How cool was that, I thought. I arrived for my interview to find that the HR Manager was not even scheduled for that day. I was able to speak to the Store Manager and he was going to pass it on. Well, I have not heard anything and it has been over a week. I cannot reach anyone to follow-up (via phone or in person). I am not sure if this is a company I want to work for - do you? That is my experience.

I also was able to schedule my interview for an evening time, because i have two kids and a husband who works days. When I arrived they weren't even there. Nobody from the HR department not even a store manager i taked to an assoicate and decided that i was not going to work for a company who does their hiring in this manner. I believe that if your soon to be employee are making times to be interviewed some body whould be there. If not to interview them at least to tell them to set up another time more convient for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phyl Aku in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

My sister applied for Sears job,went for interview and she was asked to go drug test and now she's working there. I wasn't cooking for that whole job application on the net stuff because we have done that several times for different jobs and no one responded.
I was so surprised that my sister with no job experience got it so easily.

No matter your bad experience at a work place,it is up to decide whether to leave or stay and live with it as you clearly stated in the job assesment test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Green Bay, Wisconsin

90 months ago

Mike in Frankfort, Kentucky said: Happened to me. I scheduled my own interview, showed up, no manager was there that day!

Same thing here: I showed up for my scheduled interview, nobody was there...and the office was a pig sty and was about 95 degrees! NO THANK YOU!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLC in DE

90 months ago

Sears is the worst company in the world. I worked there for almost 5 years and ended up quitting. I got paid 6.25 and after almost five years when I was left I made 7.64 per hour. They hired all these new people and were paying them more money but they were only getting like 5 to 10 hours a week. I don't recommend it to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Farmington, Michigan

90 months ago

CLC in DE said: Sears is the worst company in the world. I worked there for almost 5 years and ended up quitting. I got paid 6.25 and after almost five years when I was left I made 7.64 per hour. They hired all these new people and were paying them more money but they were only getting like 5 to 10 hours a week. I don't recommend it to anyone.

I think it depends on the person. :) If it is a job that you all took seriously then you should of been more professional and confirmed the interview. You have to act like you expect to be treated. (with respect and professionally). If sears did not receive a phone call from you then they most likely thought you were just careless and treated you the same way. It is the employees responsbility to chase after the job. Can you imagine a retail store like sears chasing after you? Show them you need the job and you took it seriously and they will treat you the same way :) Trust me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mactheknife9229 in Hacienda Heights, California

89 months ago

Sear is a dump, look elsewhere.................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

mactheknife9229 in Hacienda Heights, California

89 months ago

Sears is No good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tom

89 months ago

Be careful what you SAY! I worked for a Sears store in Buffalo NY. I went for an interview and talked to the store manager and was hired the same day for a position in Loss Prevetnion. I was good at the job I had experience and knew what to look for as far as body language and other key movements that tell if someone is going to shoplift. Well the one night I was working with the LP Manager and we got to talking about past work and I told him I worked for the mall that the Sears was in as a security officer. The manager was not shy and told me that he didnt want anyone that worked for mall security working for him. Two days later the same store manager that was happy to hire me said that I had to be let go. What kind of crap is that? Just cause the LP Manager didnt like the mall security it cost me my job I was never late and went out of my way to prove I was good at LP. I knew the job and was good at it and from what I see now they cant catch anyone cause the people that work there dont know what they are doing to make a long story short dont work for SEARS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fall-Out Boy Admirer in Piscataway, New Jersey

89 months ago

Working for Sears was the worst experience of my life. Your schedule is sporadic but if they dont like you, then you get well maybe 1 or 2 days a week. Then when they are doing inventory it becomes mandatory for you to be there at crazy hours, sometimes into the next day. DO NOT WORK FOR SEARS!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Guest in Southern MA

89 months ago

Tom said: Be careful what you SAY! I worked for a Sears store in Buffalo NY. I went for an interview and talked to the store manager and was hired the same day for a position in Loss Prevetnion. I was good at the job I had experience and knew what to look for as far as body language and other key movements that tell if someone is going to shoplift. Well the one night I was working with the LP Manager and we got to talking about past work and I told him I worked for the mall that the Sears was in as a security officer. The manager was not shy and told me that he didnt want anyone that worked for mall security working for him. Two days later the same store manager that was happy to hire me said that I had to be let go. What kind of crap is that? Just cause the LP Manager didnt like the mall security it cost me my job I was never late and went out of my way to prove I was good at LP. I knew the job and was good at it and from what I see now they cant catch anyone cause the people that work there dont know what they are doing to make a long story short dont work for SEARS

That's par for the course. Sears has a long and nasty reputation of firing people for the stupidest and worst reasons. I hope they get some kind of Public Relations backlash for their gross mistreatment of their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Mattawa, Washington

89 months ago

ok, so I'm not really in Mattawa like I think this will say... Anyway, I like working at Sears. I work in the shoes department, and everyone is very friendly. With my 1st interview I applied for a cashier but after it said they loved it but they were way overstaffed in cashiers. They asked if I would want to work in shoes, I said sure, and that if I didn't hear in a week to call back. I called back and she said they still weren't sure... Long story short, I had already given up on working at Sears when I got a phone call from the shoes manager asking me a bunch of questions and then scheduling an interview (which basically meant I just came in and met the shoes manager since I'd already answered all their previous questions at my 1st interview and my 1st interviewer said I was awesome, all I did was met my to-be manager, then met the softlines lead and then the store manager, it was really easy). I've been working there now for about a month and a half. I get 4.50 base plus commission, which can vary from making 15 dollars on commission to 50, depending on how busy you are and how many hours you're working. And here in WA the minimum wage is 7.93, though sometimes I get training pay (8.00 an hour) if I'm not helping customers (basically if I'm working in the stock room for an extended period of time, which basically is an hour or more).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

worker in Springfield, Ohio

88 months ago

I just got hired at sears. A week ago, I filled out an application online, and didn't get to set up an interview time, but...the hr manager called me that day. I was asked to come in on saturday. It's great that hr is open during the weekend, considering that some employees work only during the weekends. I had two interviews and then I was given an appointment to speak with the store manager on monday. I went in on monday and their computer system went down, but that was understandable because technology will do that. What was surprising was that the store manager didn't print out the paper work ahead of time. But part of the post offer process was online for a background check and to set up direct deposit. So overall, understandable. I was offered a job at 6.85 which is minimum wage with at least 15 hours or more. All 3 people took time to explain the position and make sure that I would be comfortable there. Overall, it's a really quick process. My guess is that if you didn't get hired the day you had the interview or had an appointment with the store manager scheduled, you should reapply again. I was turned down once, but was hired this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sears in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

n/a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ex-worker in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Well I have worked for sears for a long time (2000). I began working at the tender age of 16 ($5.75phr). Since then I was "promoted" to hardware, and finally to the footwear dept. Basically as a current college student the only way you can make money through sears, is by working in consultative sales (commission). At one point I averaged out commission pay ($16.50phr), which was more than management pay. Since then my "benefit rate" plummeted. One day I and an employee began a list of all the people whom left for a better future. The numbers were ridiculous, for the past seven years a total of 70 people left. The bad part is that these were people we knew in the store, and not others who left. The problem with being overqualified for sears is sad but true, I see this all the time they'd rather hire a teen for a $6.50phr than to hire a person with an MBA for $13.00phr. I have met teens from all walks of life; they all ultimately leave for target or Home Depot. I have been through 5 managers in my dept alone. But this soon will come to an end, since my "recent" job description includes everything like cleaning and stock replenishment, mind you I don’t get paid hourly. The practices and abuses exercised by sears are unethical, especially abuses to commission type pay employees. Hell they even have 10 people at one point scheduled on the floor with only one customer! So, from this conclusion you can understand the reason for such a high turn around rate of employment in sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

continued...
1. Lack of security, whom leave, reason: $8.00phr?
2. Lack of cleanliness, lack of real certified cleaning crews
3. Lack of communications within the store ei; GM talking to associates to ensure proper working environments and necessities to operate to maximum potential.
4. The hiring of people who have criminal backgrounds and are not afraid to share it.
Think twice when you see a big sign saying "We are actively hiring." Ask yourself why?
5. Sears at every pep meeting, every associate there, even new ones (which are visible every month) all feel like crap, during the pep meetings there is not one single smile. We all feel bitter and abused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

continued...
6. Sears hires so many people every month, yet they hire the wrong ones which call off everyday, or hire the good ones, which realize the $7.50 phr is not cutting it. Hell you deal with bull sht from all ends of the spectrum ei; customers and managers.
7. In one video training clip I saw, a head hunch “CEO” Alvin Lewis, stating all that he really cared about was “making money.” Yes he said money, not profit. Ask yourself at the cost of whom? While these fat pigs are maxing millions, the actual associates without benefits and $6.75 phr suffer, talk about injustice.
8. They even hire young managers that wear gym shoes (skate border type) and enforce non-existing dress codes, warranted by their discretion.
9. Stock personnel are the worst paid yet, they receive $7.50phr and only 20hrs at the most per week. Yet you ever wonder when you go to sears and look for something in stock, it’s not there? Later to be referred to their web site, which re-introduces you to original stock/ store inventory? Again, “sorry we are out of stock”. By the way, the associate whom refers you to the site will get a big 2% commission. WOW!
10. The power hungry management teams, which back stab you and make you cry or even leave. Yes I’ve seen management leave just like regular associates. Later to visit feeling happy and relieved in finding a better work place atmosphere.
11. Please, don’t work for Sears/Kmart, unless you work for HR, I’m sure you’ll have a job so as long as people realize the ugly pay and unethical practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

oh yeah, after seven years, they sent me a big check for $7.77 (pension plan)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Marysville, Ohio

88 months ago

I went online, applied at Sears, and it said to schedule your interview. So I did for two days away for an afternoon time when someone should be there, and also on a weekday.

I arrive at the store, tell one person I have an interview and I need to know where the HR office so I can go there. She can't tell me where it is. It's like hello..didn't they hire you? You should know where it is.

So twenty minutes later she sends me to the tool department. At this point I feel like I'm dying from the heat, and I notice..the air conditioners aren't working....and it's 100 degrees outside...

I get to the tool department, tell another sales person what I'm there for, and they literally yell it across the store that I'm here for an interview, and have someone show me to the HR Office. I get there, and the person that's there is horribly rude to me. She asks me what I'm there for and I explain I'm here for my interview at 2:00. She then asks me how did I apply. I state online. She then says that I should have called ahead of time and confirmed my appointment. No where on that email did it say please call ahead. I explain that it didn't say that, and she says well if you would have applied here at the store you would have known that. I just wanted to go well gee sorry..no one said Oh by the way, the store says to do something different so you have to go there and apply.

At this point they tell me to take a seat in this room that is so hot that I'm sweating through my clothes. I wait, and I wait, and I wait. Finally this person comes in and asks me what I am doing there. I explain about the interview, and they huff at me, and go well what did you apply for? I said well just about every opening you have. So they shoot me this look and go what are you qualified for? Umm..everything. I mean seriously..it isn't that hard to stock shelves, I've been in retail before, I have a criminal justice degree, so I can do security, and I've also done secretary work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Marysville, Ohio

88 months ago

So yet again she walks off, and then comes back 15 minutes later and tells me that no one is there to interview me and that it is my fault for not confirming my time, as everyone is in a meeting and they just can't make any time for me.

This is ticking me off as I am sweating through my clothes, I'm stuck in this stuffy room, and they apparently cannot keep their own appointments, which I'm sure checking a computer for the appointments is not hard, and if it is, then stop doing it!

She then tells me that she needs my cell phone number, because apparently my home phone is not good enough for her, and that they will call me on Wednesday. Never happened, and personally I'm glad.

Everyone was rude to me, no one apparently knew what anyone else was doing, and if Sears can't even fix their own air conditioning when they have a herd of repairman..that says a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

Fall-Out Boy Admirer in Piscataway, New Jersey said: Working for Sears was the worst experience of my life. Your schedule is sporadic but if they dont like you, then you get well maybe 1 or 2 days a week. Then when they are doing inventory it becomes mandatory for you to be there at crazy hours, sometimes into the next day. DO NOT WORK FOR SEARS!!!

First you complain about not getting enough hours, then complain about to many. Inventory is a crazy time as a manager for sears I can promise you that your managers put in a lot more time then you. Grow up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Superstar in East Alton, Illinois

88 months ago

I agree grow up, I personally have not worked for SEARS however every company can be like that at times, you just have to get through it. SEARS is not a bad company your just not a Promising worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

uknown in Salt Lake City, Utah

88 months ago

Sears is the most major company that provides employees who have the knowledge of becoming great workers. Not all Sears are bad, they have different units that perform different materials. If you do not have experience of retail, office, or any other position then do not apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

One PO'D MOM in Peoria, Illinois

88 months ago

Do not even bother wasting your time.My son applied there fresh out of high school had 2 interviews and was really exicted! My son never received another call.Rumor has it a person has to complete three interviews to be hired.I feel this is a rediculous process to go thru to get paid minimum wage!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Angry at Sears in Ramona, California

88 months ago

My husband is currently waiting to hear from Sears. He already had the three prerequisite interviews and took the drug test. Then they ran a background check. After a week, he called and was told that it would take a few more days; he called back a week later; then he was told the background check could take up to two weeks. It's been more than two weeks now and he's still waiting. I told him we should show in IN PERSON and confront them. Meanwhile, he's been missing out on other good opportunities because Sears HR told him to keep waiting and that his position is still valid. I'm not sure what kind of games these are, but it all sounds very suspect to me. I have a degree in Psychology and work in a mental health centre, and I've worked in many different types of work environments before; I have NEVER heard of a background check taking this long. I myself as extremely angry and upset that my husband is depressed and feeling very down while Sears acts in such an unprofessional manner. I'm thinking we should take them to court if they keep this charade up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Wilmington, Massachusetts

88 months ago

Sharon Homer in Summit Station, Pennsylvania said: Sears is racist and anti-female. I went to buy furniture as a single female and they asked me to get my father to sign the credit application. This is disgusting! I would never buy anything or work at such a sexist organization.

Get a life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

fedup1121 smith in Chattanooga, Tennessee

87 months ago

I worked for sears LP (in another state) for about 2 years before i transferred and all i can say is don't apply if you are GLBT....there is a GLBT association but you will still get harassed on a daily basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mari_27_07 in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

I work for the shoe dept.Mostly what u typed I agree with it.Sometimes there's more workers than customers.It is a disadvantage for workers that get paid by straigh commission becuse you have to compete with others.Sometimes you are just standing there wasting your time with not even paid with at least a pay base.....I could go on and on,but I have to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Robert

86 months ago

I have an interview this week and I plan to cancel based on these many comments. While some show very poor writing and spelling, others are very articulately written comments. In any case the MAJORITY of the comments are highly negative about working for Sears (from actual employees). I'm glad to have sifted through the comments for 90 minutes. It has been very useful. If anyone else is scanning these, save yourself some time. Sears sounds really poorly managed, oppressive, and pays lousy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John Jacob in Grosse Ile, Michigan

86 months ago

What some people do not realize is that the system that lets you schedule your own interview is not synced up with the stores computers. So basically, it is unfair to blame the managers and associates working in the store when they have no record of your "scheduled" interview. Trust me...it is just as annoying and frustrating for them as it is for you. Sears as a company does some things half assed and the interview whole application process is one of them. I will admit, company does not pay very well in general, but if you are truly worth the money, they will pay you. I have worked there for about 7 years now, and make more than most in my field from other companies. So basically my point is, I wouldn't let one little frustration stop you from working for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Deb

86 months ago

My son went through the same interview scam...I wish they just didn't have that, we went through a lot of trouble to get him there at the correct time, sharing cars, etc. and they just blew him off and said they weren't hiring. I called and they said they were.
Smaller stores in our area like LLBean pay a lot more and are much nicer to their employees if you get in. Size isn't always condusive to money. One guy I know started at 11.50 at LLBean and Chico's was good too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jade Albert in Lafayette, Louisiana

86 months ago

Word of advice? Do not ever work for Sears! They are a bunch of self serving no ethics classification of a company. They rather have people that work for barely minimum wage with no customer skills or operation talents to run their stores. SEARS STORE #1347 IN LAFAYETTE, LOUISIANA. Oh, really don't work at this location. I hope customers relize that this company does not give a fip about customer service, just how many PA's and how many associates they can go through to do dirt work for them. Shop somewhere else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jade Albert in Lafayette, Louisiana

86 months ago

Need to mention about the lovely 1347 in Lafayette, LA. how management a gather in th HUB and gossip about other employees. Yeh! let's give the LAME one clap. That is how the Store Manager tries to boost morale. What a joke! Happy PA's Sears!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fonzz in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

I just got hired and they said show up Tuesday for work- even though the background check wasn't done. They also said no drug test. Is it because they are hurting during the holiday season?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mike 76 in Temple, Texas

85 months ago

wel if your a manager how do you teat your people.sears in waco has trouble paying theirs and hr does not care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.