Sears and Age Discrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

angry in Lansing, Michigan

87 months ago

does sears discriminate against its older employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jim in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

86 months ago

yes. i worked for sears in clarksville tn and was forced out by the new appliance manager. i sold 8000.00 one night at this store and the new manager(skinny black man)told me that i had not sold enough of the warrenties because i was to old to understand how good they were for the consumers, and i as well got 9.4% of it as commission. this was in 12/06. sears is not fair, of course it is broke and has to do all it can to stay in business, it is owned by a holding company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Olive Oil in Stamford, Connecticut

86 months ago

angry in Lansing, Michigan said: does sears discriminate against its older employees?

Every corportion, company and business, big and small, in the USA practices age discrimination towards people over the age of 45.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fred in Silver Spring, Maryland

86 months ago

James in Michigan said: Sears,or any of the big-boxers are managed by rote. Unique ideas by the rank & file die of lonliness ! What this country needs is another revolution - this time to liberate us from corporate oppressors, not jolly old England !People like Bush & Cheney don't even bother to cover up their contempt for the average American, and pander to the corp. slavemasters who are putting the American dream to bed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

james, you better adapt to change or become extinct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Des Moines, Iowa

86 months ago

James, what the h_ll do Bush and Cheney have to do with age discrimination at Sears!! It sounds like you need to start your own business where your unique ideas can best be served. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

tonya in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Sears will fire you no matter what color you are if you have more than 10 years if service. And yes, I have proof.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Schererville Indiana in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

angry in Lansing, Michigan said: does sears discriminate against its older employees?

I am 58 years old and was hired as seasonal help for appliances. Sears also hired a few of us late aged people and and some people I wished I was of that age.
In the store. I work there are many my age that been there for years. I don't see the problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Edwardsville, Illinois

80 months ago

I just went for an interview today 01/21/08 and was told they had just filled all 16 of their positions listed on CareerBuilder.com. The smart --- little twentysomething HR Manager didn't have the courtesy to call and cancel a set appointment with me, just seeing my grey hair was enough to refuse me. I can only hope she finds herself looking for a new job as they re organize!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Douglas Bresee in Norwich, New York

70 months ago

I worked for over thirty years and lost my job at kmart along with 40 other people, new manager came in for a couple of months and fired everyone who had been for any length of time, no one cares

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Marvin in Arcadia, Indiana

69 months ago

The best thing an older person can do is to not shop at stores that mistreat older workers.

Stores see dollar signs.

If they don't promote older workers or give them the hours that younger workers do - that is discrimination!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki726 in Savannah, Georgia

67 months ago

I have to say that I am so shocked and mad as for as the news I got from my mom, who has worked for Sears for over 20 years, never was late to work, never had any wright ups, and never had any problems. This past Christmas the store got a new manger and just about everyday someone is leave there job. Not to make a long deal of this but my mom went in to work and was home two hours later being told she was forced to retire and her job in the store in no longer there, come to find out some of her co-works have called her today and told her her job was was still there just replace by someone who is half her age. Now my mom is only 59 and in great health. I use to work there myself and I have to say I will never shop there again. I just have to say that Sears is not the same that it use to be. To anyone who thinks about working there should really read up as much as they can..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marvin in Whitestown, Indiana

65 months ago

Basically look at the schedules - someone older will get a token amount of hours - and someone young will be hired and made full time. It is a form of age discrimination. Older workers must sit at home and be "on call" for the younger workers. Older workers have different rules and standards they must follow. Even customers are noticing how Sears is acting toward older workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marvin in Whitestown, Indiana

65 months ago

That isn't true - and even IF it was - that doesn't make it right!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wrongful Termination because of age disc in Fremont, California

22 months ago

Yes, I was terminated two days ago when I was one of the best ASM in the district. Being the oldest manager at my store, the store manager came up with a lame excuse to let me go. I should sue Sears for wrongful terminal based on age discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Rancho Cordova, California

17 months ago

I applied for a position online with Sears. I passed the online personality test with flying colors and was immediately contacted to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was exceptional and within 2 days I was contacted by HR to set up a personal interview at the local job location. The "girls" that interviewed me were unprepared, inexperienced and were so oblivious to the nature of the position for which they were interviewing, they were unable to answer some basic questions that I had that they should have been capable of answering. I expected to be contacted rather quickly but after 10 days noone had called/emailed. I called HR to find out what the status of the position was and was told that they were still conducting interviews. Later that day I received an email stating that "they were pursuing more qualified candidates" I have 18+ years of experience in the field for which I applied so I think that's unlikely. I'm convinced that my age made me automatically ineligable for the position since everything was perfect until the interview (I just turned 50 in Dec. 2012). BTW, they still haven't found their "perfect" employee, they've been interviewing for this same position for 4 month's with no success!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marlene in Long Branch, New Jersey

16 months ago

Yes, they do I applied recently for a position I was well qualified for and they did not even consider me at all. On the application there is a question are you younger than 18 or older than 40. I guess if you check that box they do not want you as one of their employees if over 40.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Senile40

16 months ago

What is going on? Blatant and open age discrimination. I was rejected from a hiring event at Sears for being 40? Really and then they try to be subtle about by mixing the question: are under the age of 16 or over the age of 40? Really!? What don't they read demographics and see that the customers that most buy there are precisely age 40 or over? I'm disgusted! I'm NEVER buying ANYTHING from that store again. If I'm too old to work for you well you are too "hip" for me to buy there anymore!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Widget in Mooresville, North Carolina

15 months ago

Douglas Bresee in Norwich, New York said: I worked for over thirty years and lost my job at kmart along with 40 other people, new manager came in for a couple of months and fired everyone who had been for any length of time, no one cares

Target has the same "age" thing going on. To all you people who use their pharmacy, they are charging both you and the insurance companies up to 3 times the amount as it would cost to purchase your scripts at either Sam's or Costco. Head's up...you don't need a membership to fill your scripts there!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sevans0628@aol.com in Oviedo, Florida

12 months ago

Marlene in Long Branch, New Jersey said: Yes, they do I applied recently for a position I was well qualified for and they did not even consider me at all. On the application there is a question are you younger than 18 or older than 40. I guess if you check that box they do not want you as one of their employees if over 40.

Yes, I know what you mean, I got to that question and thought what? I wish they would have made it one of their first questions before I filled out the rest of info and took the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.