Sears Pay For Sales Associates

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

current associate

85 months ago

I work for Sears now and I suggest you not to work there. They don't care about their associates, they trea you really bad specially if you are nice and try to do everything they ask for. They expect you to do the job of 5 people and you get paid so little for the amount of work that you do. If you wan't to work retail I suggest another store since they all pay more than Sears. One thing I have learned about Sears is that they don't care about you the only thing they care about is making money no matter what.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (198) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Jmatt in Middletown, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

All sears cares about is the credit applications. Right before the holidays, they fired 7 people because they weren't getting enough people to sign up for credit cards. One female employee looks for people who look senile and she just says type in your social security number on the screen, without telling them they're applying for credit cards, and does it for them. She even fills out and signs forms for them.
They also cut my hours because I wasn't getting enough email addresses from customers. Sears employees ask for email addresses at checkouts without telling customers that they will be sent endless advertisements that are difficult to unsubscribe to. If asked, they say customers will be sent 10 dollars in coupons and nothing else.
Sears associates get a $2 bonus for each credit applications and ocassionally they will double it for a month. All cashiers start at minimum wage, with a 9 cenct raise for one years work. Cashiers do not make commission, except on online orders which occur very rarely. These orders are worth 1.5% interest and managers give rewards for online orders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Justin J in somewherein, Oregon

66 months ago

Jmatt in Middletown, Pennsylvania said: All sears cares about is the credit applications. Right before the holidays, they fired 7 people because they weren't getting enough people to sign up for credit cards. One female employee looks for people who look senile and she just says type in your social security number on the screen, without telling them they're applying for credit cards, and does it for them. She even fills out and signs forms for them.
They also cut my hours because I wasn't getting enough email addresses from customers. Sears employees ask for email addresses at checkouts without telling customers that they will be sent endless advertisements that are difficult to unsubscribe to. If asked, they say customers will be sent 10 dollars in coupons and nothing else.
Sears associates get a $2 bonus for each credit applications and ocassionally they will double it for a month. All cashiers start at minimum wage, with a 9 cenct raise for one years work. Cashiers do not make commission, except on online orders which occur very rarely. These orders are worth 1.5% interest and managers give rewards for online orders.

You should really tell a manager about the employee that signs up elderly customers for credit cards without them realizing it...its agaist the law! Not to mention unethical and something she can be fired for.

Cashiers arnt going to earn much commission, because they are NOT on the floor selling for an entire shift. Credit applications are key to earning a little extra money as a cashier. Ask EVERY customer...you're bound to get a few. When i worked as a cashier at another retailer i got on average 18-20 a month (at least one a day).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

megers in Mahopac, New York

63 months ago

At the sears where I work, the managers continuously nag about getting credits and will give you terrible hours unless you get them. I've been harassing customers for credit cards all month and would have gotten 20 this month (which is alot for this small town) for $4 an application. Got my end of the month paycheck, not there. They did not pay me for ONE of my credits. Some of my customers were not approved, but the manager told me that they will still be counted in your paycheck. Either way, I still had approved applications!! If I'm not getting anything for these applications, I am not asking. It upsets way too many people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

megers in Mahopac, New York

63 months ago

All this for $7.15 an hour, not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

wilma flintstone in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

the person mentioning about the credit. we get paid our credit on the 17th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Rhino in Sacramento, California

63 months ago

The real money is in Brand Central (large appliances) If you get hired there you can make 500 bucks a week take home if you are good. It's a bad company to work for but it's good pay and pretty darn easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Rhino in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

Blake1455 in huntington, Ohio said: Highly unlikely....to say the least. I am in the top 25 in the company for selling in BC and have not made close to that. I led in sales for my region by over 200K and I was at a +1.14 pa parity for last year and made 28k which is pathetic. Ive never been negative in any parity for 3 years and 28k was my highest yearly salary. I am also full time and worked over 2080 hours in that year.

You must work in a slow store then. Our full timers are pulling in 40-50k. As a part timer I averaged about 25k a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Right from wrong in Longview, Washington

59 months ago

current associate said: I work for Sears now and I suggest you not to work there. They don't care about their associates, they trea you really bad specially if you are nice and try to do everything they ask for. They expect you to do the job of 5 people and you get paid so little for the amount of work that you do. If you wan't to work retail I suggest another store since they all pay more than Sears. One thing I have learned about Sears is that they don't care about you the only thing they care about is making money no matter what.

As a Sears Associate, and as a reply to the original post on what they pay their (ASS)ociates. We were just notified about a change in our commission rates. It is only going to be reduced by 50 yes 50% for one day, that would be the day after Thanksgiving. It's only the most money making day for a sales person at Sears so we can afford to buy our families Christmas presents this year or keep our heat on at home. Here's the deal as I interpret it. An associate will receive say 3% on an item at full price, Sears drops the price for "Black n' Blue" Friday by 50% to begin with. Now, I assume some "suit and tie",self centered,GREEDY little Pigs came up with an idea that he-she would cut their, so valued sales employee's commission rate by another 50% to save the Company money on the sales that day. So lets do the math: $100 @ 3%=$3 minus half(for THEIR sale)=$1.50 ,minus ANOTHER 50% from MY PAYCHECK!! NOT THEIRS!!! (the parent who does not have any healthcare, or can barely afford to keep the lights on.) Now I am at .75 cents from $3 and their up .75 cents because,I so kindly want their families to have such a bountyful Christmas from Mommy or Daddy's bonus, that as I see it, they morally and ethically stole from their own hardworking, responsible, and public friendly associates. Just because we have a Sh%^^Y job in your eyes does not give them the right to treat us like ShSears. Shame on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

disne lopez in Monsey, New York

58 months ago

sears doesnt apply raises anymore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

g.

55 months ago

I'm currently working for sears and its the worst company to ever work for. I meant a lot of great people and customers, its just the management. They treat you like s*i*. Apply and find out for yourself. The sears I'm currently at is WOW... That store runs off politics but anyways.. Don't work there its just advice.. You get bad pay and if your an hourly associate, trust me you won't get any hours. Starting out your going to think its a good job, but ask anybody who's honest they will SEARS!!! Is a job for a person going to high school only. And its so much illegal things going on at the sears I work at its not funny but to everyone out if your looking to make $$ u can here and there but its hard tho, but look to pay your bills on time if you have any. Working in appliances makes $$ I give them that but for other departments no. Since I've been with the company I've seen people go and stay that's normal rite. These past two years tho has been the worst so may people got fired for dumb things which they shouldn't had and so many managers are leaving because they are over worked. But if anyone wants to work at sears I say work at the one in torrance, ca I've heard nothing but good things so that's good. And I'm not writing all this because I dislike the company ask anyone who has worked there they will tell u the same. Hope this everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

appliance and electronics manager in hoffman, Illinois

49 months ago

g. said: I'm currently working for sears and its the worst company to ever work for. I meant a lot of great people and customers, its just the management. They treat you like s*i*. Apply and find out for yourself. The sears I'm currently at is WOW... That store runs off politics but anyways.. Don't work there its just advice.. You get bad pay and if your an hourly associate, trust me you won't get any hours. Starting out your going to think its a good job, but ask anybody who's honest they will SEARS!!! Is a job for a person going to high school only. And its so much illegal things going on at the sears I work at its not funny but to everyone out if your looking to make $$ u can here and there but its hard tho, but look to pay your bills on time if you have any. Working in appliances makes $$ I give them that but for other departments no. Since I've been with the company I've seen people go and stay that's normal rite. These past two years tho has been the worst so may people got fired for dumb things which they shouldn't had and so many managers are leaving because they are over worked. But if anyone wants to work at sears I say work at the one in torrance, ca I've heard nothing but good things so that's good. And I'm not writing all this because I dislike the company ask anyone who has worked there they will tell u the same. Hope this help everyone.

We could get paid a lot better, I agree. The truth is, the
economy sucks and jobs are scarce. If we don't do it, then there
are likely to be people who can do it for the same if not lower pay. I've been at Sears for a LONG time and for the work and
dedication I put into my work, I think I deserve about 20K more.
The hardest thing about recruiting talent is that you have to pay
good money for good talent. I guess in the eyes of the higher-ups,
the frontline jobs are easy enough, that any monkey can do it.
Maybe Sears cashiers are worth paying out what McDonalds pays their cashiers???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

appliance and electronics manager in hoffman, Illinois

49 months ago

It is true that there are disproportionate pay scales that exist at Sears. The guys who break sweat or freeze doing trucks in my opinion should get a little more than what they get as opposed to the guys who stand around and punch the keyboard when a customer decides to buy a frontload washer and dryer! Yes, it's what an associate choses to sign up for, but the fact of the matter is "pay for work". That is what is not fair. Certainly, a 55 billion dollar company can fork out some money for loyalty, dedication, hard work and morale. Maybe Eddie will figure that out one day! Pay your people well, they will pay you back even better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

formerlyemployed in Bella Vista, Arkansas

45 months ago

As someone who used to be on the inside, but is now outside, I can say that I am glad I don't work for this company anymore. I worked on the appliance service side of the company, and I can tell you that I played a "rigged" game. I drove to each customer's home with an inventory of parts that took care of most common issues, but when it came to needing a major control board for a TV, I usually had to order one. Now that's a problem! First, the poor customer has to wait for the part to come to their house. They already had to take time off from work to meet the tech for the initial call, which the primary intent is to troubleshoot the problem to find out what part is needed. If the product is under warranty or protection agreement, the customer pays nothing for the repair, but this is no consolation. Second, when the part arrives, the customer is to call the 800# back to schedule service; but he/she is usually greeted with an automated system that says that the service is already scheduled for X date and Y time, with no option to talk to a live person. So that adds to the customer's irritation with the whole process, something I had to answer for when I returned to install the part. Third, when I did return to the customer's home, I usually had to hear a "laundry list" of his/her frustrations with the 800# or some other part of the company I was not involved with. I found that many of these complaints actually had merit, especially when I was hearing the same complaints from different customers. The most common complaint was about the 800# associates that create the service calls. The customer cannot understand what is being said because the call center is overseas, hence very bad English is spoken. To go along with that, the majority of the service calls I received were not understandable (i.e. badly misspelled words), and sometimes even improperly created (product is under warranty, but call is set up to collect money).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

(Continued) So I had to spend time on the phone to fix those problems, instead of trying to fix the customer's problem. Believe me, I and other co-workers have reported these problems to management, but they are unable (likely unwilling) to send that info up further to fix it. Don't misunderstand me: I had no problem taking care of my customers. What I had a problem with is the management behind the scenes who unfairly grade the technicians for problems they cannot control. If you have to order a part, that means you are not fixing the problem the first time, so that counts against you on your "numbers". But if you need the part, you have to order it. If you have to tag a customer's door due to a "not home", that counts against your "numbers". If a customer tells you when you arrive at their door that they wish to cancel, that counts against your "numbers". The tech is also expected to sell other things besides the repair, such as water filters, protection agreements, and other "profit margin" items; which also happened to have a HUGE markup over what the retail stores would price. If the customer refused to purchase these things, well that counts against your "numbers". These managers have become such "number crunchers" that they don't care about those under them. If your numbers are bad, then their numbers are bad, and that's all they care about. And in this geographical area, we are unable to have a face-to-face conversation with the managers because they are over 100 miles away. Therefore, the cell phone became a "thorn in the side", and those managers would talk to you in a way you would not appreciate. However, when it came time for the managers to be in this area for a meeting, they were as nice as could be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

So, if you're going to work for this company on the appliance service side, go with your eyes wide open expecting to fail miserably. If you're not somehow "walking on water" with your "numbers", your boss will not be treating you very well. And if your "numbers" are really high, they'll investigate you to find out why. Managers only trust managers, not the techs under them. They don't promote from within, either. They'll just hire a manager (with a degree) from outside the company. Promoting a tech to a manager's position will just bring in a manager with sympathy for the techs' problems I just mentioned above. A sympathetic manager has techs with poor "numbers", and that manager won't last long. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

mmmontes in Trenton, New Jersey

44 months ago

Iworked for Sears at Quakerbridge Mall in Lawrenceville NJ. I left due to my daughter's health issues. When she felt better, I was re-hired, so this means I was a good worker. But I have to say, anyway, Sears is the worst company I have worked ever. They way they treat the employees, they way they talk to them in front of the customers is out of this world. I have worked for huge companies such as Abbott Labs, Pfizer Pharm., Johnson & Johnson, Federal Government, etc. and nothing compares. I was looking for a part time job because I'm retired and I got into Sears. Yesterday, I decided to resign again. My manager used to make negative comments about employees to other employees; that's not ethical. She talks to employee like if they were garbage. They want one associate to run 3 areas by him/herself. That's why the store is a mess. They want everything look perfect, but they don't give hours. Only 14 a week. We have to fill the floor without the SNC device. There are none in the last 4 months. We have to fill the floor in the computer, print the page, go upstairs to get it and come down to floor to fill it. This is very high time consumption, when we have to fill it every hour and we work only 4 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mmmontes in Trenton, New Jersey

44 months ago

Cece in Lanett, Alabama said: I completed an application online and was able to schedule my own interview....I've heard a lot of negative things about Sears and now Im not sure if I even want to work there at all? Esp. since it seems like they get paid so little....HOW MUCH DO SALES ASSOCIATES GET PAID AT SEARS?

Don't do it. They pay $7.25/hr and raises are frozen for the last 3 years. DON'T DO IT..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Quit on 3rd

36 months ago

NYC - 7.25 MINIMUM WAGE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SearsCanBurn in Lexington, Kentucky

35 months ago

I worked as a cashier and they told me my raise would be in 2014 and it would only be 25 cents.

F%^& SEARS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

pinkfusion in California

35 months ago

appliance and electronics manager in hoffman, Illinois said: We could get paid a lot better, I agree. The truth is, the
economy sucks and jobs are scarce. If we don't do it, then there
are likely to be people who can do it for the same if not lower pay. I've been at Sears for a LONG time and for the work and
dedication I put into my work, I think I deserve about 20K more.
The hardest thing about recruiting talent is that you have to pay
good money for good talent. I guess in the eyes of the higher-ups,
the frontline jobs are easy enough, that any monkey can do it.
Maybe Sears cashiers are worth paying out what McDonalds pays their cashiers???

Yeah this is the thing. My bet is that most of the people complaining are under 30 and dont know what its like to have to look for work and then wind up taking anything (read: work for Sears). I just applied and I *need* this job. I worked in retail for 5 years when I was much younger and NO retail is not fun, but it helps pay the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tuffy in Columbus, Ohio

32 months ago

current associate said: I work for Sears now and I suggest you not to work there. They don't care about their associates, they trea you really bad specially if you are nice and try to do everything they ask for. They expect you to do the job of 5 people and you get paid so little for the amount of work that you do. If you wan't to work retail I suggest another store since they all pay more than Sears. One thing I have learned about Sears is that they don't care about you the only thing they care about is making money no matter what.

I worked their as a Temp. assoc. and they dicked me on my last check. Stay away from this crappy company. Trust me, you don't want to work at Sears

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ozzy in Brighton, Colorado

31 months ago

this company is a joke and im sure involved in illegal work practices,every day after work i document all the sketchy unethical things that happen in the tool dept.a previous associate of mine has already started an investigation with th eeoc for discrimination harrassment and racism,ive been in retail a long time and have never seen a company that treats their hardworking employees as horrible as sears does!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bailjumper in Mill Hall, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

I was a former Sears Catalog employee when the catalog was discontinued in 1993. I went back to a dealer store in 2004. The level of incompetence was astounding. This is what happens when a crook buys the company. There was a day when Sears was revered as a retailer, but no more. There is no respect for the customer, no respect for customer service, and no respect for employees. All Sears Holdings is interested in is the almighty dollar. What you now have is a poorer run Wal Mart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lala Richmond in Pensacola, Florida

30 months ago

I work there now. After one year, I did not receive a raise. The management is strewed up, and I basically only work there because of the flexible hours. I can't wait to hall ass outta there!!!

Don't work there!!!! Go somewhere where you are appreciated and where you ca make REAL money!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jim in erie, pa in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

i worked as a sales consultant in home improvement department, specifically tool and hardware at sears erie. The managerial changes during the 4 years I worked there were numerous from the top level on down. The last manager I worked for really had it out for me. He always threatened me by saying he was going to get his own sales team in place. I never missed work, kept busy, and basically did what was asked of me. He started cutting my hours drastically in comparison to his own hires. I was older than all of these people and kept out of the loop so to speak on matter s pertaining to work. I approached the human resource manager about this, had a meeting with her and the H R manager and got nowhere and given no adequate explanation. These are poor conditions to work under. You can't establish a good level of moral dealing with associatesinthis manner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

26 months ago

^ This is why Sears will be gone within a few years. I'm frankly shocked that they haven't filed for bankruptcy protection already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Springfield, Missouri

21 months ago

Haha, its funny reading everyones comments bashing Sears. This job really isn't hard at all if you put any effort towards it. I was hired as seasonal help and I am already around 40 credit apps through 10 days. The job is what you make it, instead of complaining you aren't getting paid enough go out there and do your job and get credit, the extra $2 adds up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Eddie Lampert is a crook. No one in their right mind should be working for Sears/ K Mart. I did and got screwed. My son worked for Sears, and as soon as he got to full time status, there conveniently was a story from corporate that got him fired. When he pressed them for information, the convenient story disappeared. I recommended that he not waste his time fighting for the job back, as it only would get worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

msprissysmom in Lawton, Oklahoma

20 months ago

I was let go on 12/8 because my supervisor did not agree with me that I was suppose to have a 15 min break every 4 hrs, I didn't get enough email address's and I complained many times there was no soap in the bathroom the whole time I worked there. My last check I was to be paid $4 per credit application for the month of November I had 40 and for December I had 25, because the November $4 cut off was Black Friday. I have never been paid for it, the regular HR Manager has been on maternity leave and the Asst Manager has not responded to my concerns, even after calling the 1-888-88sears number many times, got a case number and there supervisor called stating that my former HR would need to release/authorize those funds. Well after many calls and broken promises and no call backs, still nothing has been done about my $210.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Contact an attorney, or your state dept. of labor. Sears will try to find a way to not pay you, as you are not in employment at Sears. Are you receiving unemployment compensation? If you are, make sure that this information has been noted on your UC application. Sears does not usually fight UC, as they usually do not have sufficient information to win these cases. Even more so if you live in an "employment at will state".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Righteous in Cincinnati, Ohio

20 months ago

Despite the negative critics here, I do enjoy working at Sears. I work part time in commission sales and have done so for 2 years. The reason I enjoy it is that I get health and dental even for part-time and the rates are very inexpensive. They have been very good with my schedule and working with me on hours. The sales in my department are the highest in commission so the money is very good. I range between $1000 - $2000 a week working only 26 hours. There are times I even make more than the full timers there. The managers give me a lot of leeway and trust my work, which saves a lot of hassle.

The only negative ive seen has not been from Sears, but from the customers. Many customers try to be rude and think they say anything to a salesperson because they think Sears is low in service or our quality is low. No other store accepts that treatment, and neither does the salespeople in Sears. They should recognize that the salespeople are not uneducated people but just any other worker who is working for their families...but you will get what you give if customers treat salespeople poor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

You are correct on two fronts. You must know your products. That will make you a better sales rep right from the start. The other is the customer coming into the store with a chip on their shoulder right from the start. That in itself had chased me away from retail sales. A few times I have run into a few sales reps who were too pushy at the onset. I would usually politely excuse myself from that person and come back to a different rep.

You are fortunate that management will work with you. I have seen toomany stores that management will cow tow to Hoffman Estates, and forget who is helping them obtain their stores good preformance. Then you have some district managers who do not belong there. How they got there will remain a mystery forever.

Keep up the good work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Provo, Utah

18 months ago

My brother worked at Sears. It worked out great for me because I could get discounts on appliances in Vancouver, but he hated working there. I guess management was very hard to work with. He would never recommend working there. www.mcivers.biz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

WebCreeper in NA

15 months ago

I have to say that Sears is one of the best work environments I've ever been in. My coworkers are good at pretending to be a team and are mostly friendly. It's the customers we have problems with. LOL. The store is clean, organized, and orderly. The bathrooms and break room are always clean and stocked. There are often events and activities, so we have a lot of cookouts and parties.

I concider myself to be lucky to have found such a wonderful, low stress environment at a point where jobs offering more then 12hrs a week are hard to find and harder still to obtain. My management staff is comprised of several hard-working individuals with a strong grasp of common scense, compassion, and modivation. They are self-starters, and will try hard to modivate, encourage, and drag you along rather then run you over. However, there's only so far they can carry a person before that person has to stand on their own. As an empolyee our job is to make the boss look good and so on. My boss will look the other way if you toe the line once or twice, but Sears has its rules and policies that must be followed and all good managers will know when its time for push to become shove. You should expect nothing less then to be trampled.

To address the payment issues:

Anything not clothing, shoes, jewels, auto is likely part of the Blue Team. Most, but not all departments on the Blue Team work for commission. And each department has different requirements and rules they follow for how their commission is obtained. Also, anyone can check out another departments goods (mostly) so don't be surprised to see empolyees wondering from one section to help a customer in another section even if that sections rep is present.

Credit Apps: Sears used to own Discover, so you will sometimes see a Sears Discover credit card being used. The newer Sears Credit Cards have the Master Card Logo. A customer (known as a member) can sign up for the Sears Store....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

WebCreeper in NA

15 months ago

...card or the Sears Master Card or Both. Unlike Toy's R Us where you sign up for both at once, Sears has two different applications that must to filled out. The application is simple and takes about five minutes. It's processed electronicly and if approved instantly, the member can save $15 dollars on their purchase if using the card. Elsewise, they'll recieve a credit to their account for the amount if approved later by mail. The advantage of using the Sears cards for customers is that finance options are available as well as bounce rewords points and discount offers (when applicatble). The store makes money each time a customer uses their Sears cards to purchase goods and prefers it to Cash or check.

For the Cashier, it means less cash to have to count at the end of the night. LOL. Actually, it means a $2-4 dollar bonus on our paycheck. Now for the tricky part. Many things have changed in the last year and I've only been with the company a very short time but the current rule is: You are required to have at least 5 credit apps a month to keep your job. For ever credit app you get over (six and up) you will recieve payment on those, but not for the required five. Payment is given regardless of Customer Approval. The credit app goal is applied to all employee's that work with a register or sales regardless of wheather they hold the title of Cashier or not.

Just a side note: If the person is not approved for either of the Sears Credit Lines, most large items can be purchased on a Lease to Own program. The process is similar to the credit app. A customer must provide their ssn and income, but no credit check is made. They will be offered a line of lease credit which they can accept or decline. Then they have five months to make payments, at the end of which they can extend the lease if need be. In the long run it'll cost more in intrest charges and fees then if they'd used the credit card, but it won't go against their credit. Lease only if you can't get

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

WebCreeper in NA

15 months ago

credit approval. Or there's always lay-a-way.

The Shop your way rewards program is another requirement for empolyees. It's a cash back program. For every dollar spent the customer earns ten points back. Those points add up and are transformed into cash that is redeemed at the time of checkout using a pin number. If you give your email to a cashier, be aware that you are registering for the rewords program. The cashier will either have you verify your email and create your own pin number or they'll try to be sneeky, not tell you what you're registering for, make all the keypad selections for you and your pin will be auto generated via email. We don't explain about the program unless the customer questions the reason for an email. Our job is to register the customer not explain the program. The way it's worded in the contract makes it all perfectly legal too, since it's via email.

Most retail stores offer some sort of rewords or cash back program. Some stores require you to have a store credit card to earn them. Sears does not. It is a seprate, free program. So now you understand why you are asked for a phone number (to look up the account and add your purchase points) and an email - to register you if an account is not found.

Sears requires their empolyees to be at 70% for rewords each month. Soon to be raised to 75% which several stores are already enforcing. Sears policy demands that the rewords and credit app monthly requirements are to be met by each individual or their job is forefit regardless of job preformance. Each department may have other requirements as well. Not as easy or hard as it sounds. Most retail jobs now work under similar systems. Sears has a high turn over rate for this reason and for the mega low wages. Full time possitions must also be 'earned'. Overall, Sears is a good job (at least, where I work) but a dead end for most. As someone above said: Its a job for Teenagers with no real-world bills to pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lets Be Clear in Scottsdale, Arizona

14 months ago

In The State of AZ at least probably the same else where. Every associate in the store except commissioned associates makes min wage.
Cashiers/MCA's- $7.80 an hour with 2 dollars per credit app (after getting 5 apps and store to home (order online from the store) 1 to 3 percent commission rate

Backroom Associate- $7.80 only benefit is that they seldom interact with customers. They only have to interact when there loading for a customer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lets Be Clear in Scottsdale, Arizona

14 months ago

Commissioned Associates- They are paid a base or no base and earn commission. Commission comes from the third party such as Kenmore, Sealy, Serta, Maytag, etc. If you don't make commission one week and you have a base you get whats called a min wage adjustment (you make minimum wage that pay period you don't want to do this to much you can get fired).(They will cut your commission down by half during the holiday season)

They have been cutting the commission rates down for associates in the past couple of years

Electronics Associate- Typically get paid $6.00 base and 1% on TV's, 1-4% on accessories, and 4% on protection agreements. or they make a flat rate no commission of $8.

Appliances Associate- Is on a draw (no base) which means if they make no commission one week they get the minimum wage and then the next week if they do make commission they have to pay that minimum wage back (in short 100% commission). They typical make 4 to 5% on commission of appliances about 4% on attachments and protection agreements

Tools and Lawn/Garden Associates- $6 base with a 1% commission on tools, 4% on accessories, attachments, protection agreements.

Mattress Associates get a base of $4.50 with a 8/10/12% commission on mattresses (higher the value higher the commission -$499 would be 8%, $1000 would be 10%, more would be 12%)

Leads- Make anywhere from $10 to $15 dollars an hour they do get 40 hours per week however, for all the things they do they are grossly underpaid.

ASM- Makes anywhere from 40K to 60K dependent on seniority.

Store Manager makes anywhere from 65K to 120K dependent on the size of the store and seniority

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ElleBean in New York

14 months ago

I just got hired as a lead and I'm getting $12/hour which is the highest starting pay available for the position. The range is $10-12. I asked for $12 because I have experience, and the DM approved it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

14 months ago

Even at $12 dollars thats pretty low for what your going to be doing. Stay there for maybe 10 more years you'll make $15. If the company makes it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Austin k in Thunderdome

14 months ago

For what a lead is expected to do you are being underpaid at $12 an hour. Depending how your store is ran you can expect to field a lot of MOD calls. The manager at my store hardly ever does it and as far as other leads if it is a certain person working they pretty much avoid leaving the office at all. That usually leaves one maybe 2 people on a lucky day to take all the MOD calls to swipe for price reductions or help a customer. The store manager usually delegates a lot of their own responsibilities to an ASM who is paid much less than them but basically runs the store for the manager.

As far as consultative sales, what 'Lets Be Clear' said is mostly true. However it is never as cut and dry as a flat 1% on tools, some are 1.5% while others maybe be upwards of 3 or even 4%. Most accessories are usually 3-4% as they said but some can go a bit higher at 5% maybe more. Everything seems to vary in percentage rather than being one rate to make it easier. Also now if we price match an online price in store, even from sears very own website, we have our commission cut down by .5% on anything above 1%. While half a percent doesn't sound like very much it will make a difference over a 2 or 4 week period.

At my store I am part time but usually work 35+ hours a week, and then they cut me down to below 30 for a week or two. I assume they do this to avoid having to bump me to full time after having me work full time hours for many weeks in a row. The one thing I will say about my store is that 90% of the leads/asm are really great people who I enjoy working with. I have been treated fairly and equally by them and that really goes a long way with me even if the job is crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ElleBean in New York

14 months ago

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas said: Even at $12 dollars thats pretty low for what your going to be doing. Stay there for maybe 10 more years you'll make $15. If the company makes it.

They told me what I'll be doing, and to me, $12 is AMAZING. I did all of that AND MORE at Claire's for $8.25/hour (literally did everything but schedule -- open/close, work an 8 hour shift 5 days a week doing planograms, markdowns, inventory, shipment, backstock, banking, paperwork -- and literally ALL BY MYSELF, as in, I never worked with anyone, not even an associate, so I didn't even get a break -- and yes, that is technically legal because I technically agreed to doing that and I was one of the "qualified" people to do that for the store)...so yeah...$12/hour doing less work and with a team? That's a freaking dream!!

I'm also working at a very small store. It's the smallest one in the entire region. We don't even have a jewelry dept it's that small.

And just to add some perspective: In my town, there are no jobs that aren't salaried/professional that pay more than $12/hour. Literally none. Even as a CNA you only make $11/hour, and that's if you're lucky. Preschool teachers, LEAD teachers with certifications and everything make about $12/hour, assistants, $9-10. A sales associate at LOFT (the nicest store we have in town) gets $8/hour. At Best Buy, $8.50/hour to start. And at any regular store like American Eagle or a grocery store, expect minimum wage or just above (so around $7.35/hour).

Maybe in a bigger town/store $12 is underpaid, but here it's definitely not. Each market and region is different. I mean, if I were in NYC I would obviously expect to make more, but I'm not. But in our town, I'm pretty sure we don't have any stores that are considered "high volume" but the grocery stores and Target.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

All I gotta say is wait and see
And research what your getting into see both sides

www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

ElleBean in New York

14 months ago

Like I said, it can in no way be worse than Claire's. That company is seriously the worst I have EVER worked for, and I've worked a lot of places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

And theres no way you were a supervisor there making that low of wage
I know a couple of people who came from claires
two of them made the transition to sears
and they say the opposite

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ElleBean in New York

14 months ago

I was a Third Keyholder and I was paid $8.25/hour. The typical pay for that position in my district is $7.75/hour, but the DM approved higher pay for me since I had experience and another job offer. So...yeah.

Maybe it's just my district, but Claire's is the worst company around here you can work for. They pay the least and expect the most. I'm friends with the AM at the Claire's where I live since we were both keyholders at the same time and she stayed but I left and she got promoted, and she gets paid $10.25/hour. I wouldn't lie or make this s.hit up. It's crappy, but it's 100% true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

I've tallked to 8 leads only two who love there job and ther two that like if are merch and pricing leads

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

sorry about the grammar

ElleBean in New York

14 months ago

Well I'm going to be a Merch/Pricing Lead, so that's good. (If I understood whatever the heck you wrote up there)...but even if I didn't, like I said, in my town $12/hour is like GOLD. No one gets paid that much unless they are salaried/professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.