Sears Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Sears?

What do you like best about working at Sears? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois

93 months ago

Sounds like you work for Sears at a capacity that doesn't suit your needs. So why are you working there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

Rebney in Forest Park, Illinois

93 months ago

I worked for Sears up until about a year ago. Salaries are OK (or at least they were when I started). Raises aren't much. The company is going to more of a "Pay for performance" model, relying more on bonuses than raises to reward people. Bonuses sound nice if you are in a part of the business that is doing well, like Home Services where I worked. Not always good for other parts, like the retail part of the business. Pay for performance also keeps their costs down because base salaries are kept low, slowing down the pace of salary increases over time.

They have been cutting back on benefits the last few years, citing that they need to do so to be competitive with Wal-Mart and other big box retailers. That in essence said to me that Sears really saw the industry benchmark as mediocrity. I understood that they needed to take steps to survive, but I didn't want any part of that sort of attitude. While not the primary reason for my leaving, it was a factor.

Travel really varies depending on position. I personally didn't have to travel that often.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Just accepted a position in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

92 months ago

Performance-based commission is the best business model in sales. If there are other depts. in Sears that don't benefit, then hourly is best. But I don't know of any company who will give you a high base salary unless you have 5+ yrs sales exp. w/CONFIRMED track record,unless you're in pharmaceutical sales or a highly specialized area. But they are extremely anal with their reporting. They keep you on a short leash. After training is over, a lot of companies remove the base salary. People who don't do well in the performance-based model are complacent people, or they are just not a food fit for sales. We SELL at Sears. We sell everything. The days of just ringing up the customer are over. I have not worked for Sears before, but I was hired because there was no one qualified to manage with a track record of success. A lot of companies use to just hire from within. This is not the case any more because outsiders can bring in fresh ideas. Sears fell behind with all the home depots and Best Buys etc... They got complacent. But they are positioning themselves to decapitate their competitors. So expect changes in the way they hire and train. Expect changes for the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

john in Youngstown, Ohio

92 months ago

Anonymously said: Sounds like you work for Sears at a capacity that doesn't suit your needs. So why are you working there?

sounds like u work for the corporation..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

john in Youngstown, Ohio

92 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Sears?
What do you like best about working at Sears? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?
I can only speak for kmart. bonus whats that. its like pplaying a baseball game and the rules are changed in the ninth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Allen in Tennessee in Maryville, Tennessee

91 months ago

Allen in Tennessee in Maryville, Tennessee said: I'm not in management,just a (very over-qualified) sales associate. But, I choose to work at Sears because I want to. I knew what I was getting into when I signed on. The pay is mediocre. What do you expect? Sears is competing with WalMart, Best Buy, HH Gregg, etc., etc. Margins are slim and selling is key. Those who work hard to learn their products, apply sound selling techniques, and generally have a good attitude make decent money (nothing to brag about). But that's what you're signing on for. BTW, I'm actually excited about some of the changes Sears has made recently and are continuing to make that, I believe, are better for the employee and the customer. Question is "Can it still be profitable?" Can't have everything!

I meant to add that I have had good to very good managers (of course their focused on the bottom line, that's what pays the bills). Plus, the atmosphere at our store is fun and laid-back and we're still always ranked as one of the best in the region.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois

90 months ago

john in Youngstown, Ohio said: sounds like u work for the corporation..

Looks like you need to read the whole statement before commenting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

ChazinTexas in Abilene, Texas

90 months ago

I just left a management position at Sears. I think that for non-salaried associates, its a fantastic place to work. I do think the company has overloaded their Store Coaches (new name for managers) to the point that they have to choose between being customer or process focused. I love Sears! I hated having to make the decision to leave, but the stress of trying to keep up with both ends with no help from any lead, coordinator or even the Store GM was having an irreparable effect on my health. I hope this company returns to prominence one day, but I hope they dont sacrifice too many people in the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TREVOR

89 months ago

It is so bad at my store in East columbus ohio my assentant manger was stealing just to make ends meet . we have a jerk for a distric manger Steve . to be nice this guys is a first class jerk . just a no class jerk . has casued me to loose good employees

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Tyler in Evansville, Indiana

86 months ago

I actually like my job at Sears. I work in the lawn and garden department and enjoy it. Co-workers are fun, managers are nice, and business isn't too bad. Of course, it really depends on the store you work in. The store I work in seems to be one of the better ones from the comments I've read on here. I guess it's hit and miss..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Decatur, Georgia

86 months ago

Sears cares nothing about long term employees. They are just looking at the bottom line. Be careful, very careful corporate people. You might be next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

kern in Minnesota

82 months ago

To answer you question more directly (what you really wanted to know) the starting wage is $8.00 for a cashier or MCA who cleans out fitting rooms. That's what it is in my area anyhow. Raises aren't so good, I started 4 years ago at 7.00 and now make 8.40 and hour. blah. But hey, I really like the people I work with and I have fun with them. The worst part is dealing with customers... I've never met so many rude people. I had no idea people even acted the way before I started working there.
As far as a carrer there, you COULD climb the ladder...but you'd have to put in a lot of effort and really get lucky before you'd break the 15 dollar per hour mark, which in MN is mediocre pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

worker in Dayton, Ohio

82 months ago

Yes the pay is low. But the company allows you to contribute to 401k as a part time person. Also as a part time worker, you get health insurance, with a copay of $15, that's pretty low. Health insurance for 2 people is only $200, comparable plans are 3X that amount. It's not a bad place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rickster in Los Angeles, California

82 months ago

Dental Insurance. What do Sears employees do when they want Dental Insurance?? Please be specific. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

paloma s in San Angelo, Texas

80 months ago

hi, i would like to know how much sears pay for a part time job in jewelry section in texas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

pover-tee in Madison, Wisconsin

80 months ago

Just accepted a position in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Performance-based commission is the best business model in sales. If there are other depts. in Sears that don't benefit, then hourly is best. But I don't know of any company who will give you a high base salary unless you have 5+ yrs sales exp. w/CONFIRMED track record,unless you're in pharmaceutical sales or a highly specialized area. But they are extremely anal with their reporting. They keep you on a short leash. After training is over, a lot of companies remove the base salary. People who don't do well in the performance-based model are complacent people, or they are just not a food fit for sales. We SELL at Sears. We sell everything. The days of just ringing up the customer are over. I have not worked for Sears before, but I was hired because there was no one qualified to manage with a track record of success. A lot of companies use to just hire from within. This is not the case any more because outsiders can bring in fresh ideas. Sears fell behind with all the home depots and Best Buys etc... They got complacent. But they are positioning themselves to decapitate their competitors. So expect changes in the way they hire and train. Expect changes for the better.

Performance based pay commission is only good if you've got a good manager, and many of us don't. My department pays straight commission (no base or hourly wage) plus a bonus. The problem is we don't get a protected territory, and many managers just keep hiring and hiring as many people as they can get because they don't have to pay us unless we sell... kind of like a restaurant manager who hires 50 servers and then just gives each server 1 table. The customer gets serviced the same, but the employees don't get the opportunity to make much of anything.

Bonus is based on sales numbers, but there is a minimum amount of work you have to meet to qualify, and when managers over hire then nobody in their department qualifies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

J.D.

80 months ago

It's an o.k. second job for me. The hours are flexible but can't live off it for an only job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rahs in Some where in USA, Illinois

80 months ago

Anonymously in Rockford, Illinois said: Why don't you read the dates, maybe this does not apply any more? Why would keep feeding into negative, if u don't like it.

People are feeding into negative because this is still a democracy. If you don't like it change the station.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hawkinsmhall

79 months ago

Sissy in Rochester, New York said: The Host just asked a question. I work at Sears and I answered correctly about my psition.
Yes your correct it doesn't fit me, but now I know.
Other people that may thing of Sears for a job will now know too, so they don't have to get hired and waste time there to find out.I think thats what these forms are for.

Maybe someone else who works at Sears who gets great starting salaries, great bonuses, great benefits and great travel requirements, who loves to work at Sears with great perks and special treats will make a comment and tell us all about it. , but till then, I'll still be waiting.

I worked for them as well and the company is having a lot of issues. I held a corporate position and relized the company is pretty bad off. The CEO just quit...go figure

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mrmordrid in Schenectady, New York

79 months ago

That is the funniest thing i have all day. I work for electronics over at Sears and I do my job very well. But, any idoit can ring up a tv but, selling the service and selling it truthfully is the hard part.
Sears is currently hiring anyone that can count till at least 5 and is between the ages of 17 and 21. No prior work experience is necessary. They will hire at least 2x-3x the amount of people they need to for any sales department anytime of the year with these applicants hoping that something will stick. They also expect the seasoned associates to train these associates how to sell which I WILL NOT DO because they are my competition and plus I am not a babysitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

VintageSinger in Vancouver, Washington

78 months ago

I worked for Sears up until 6 months ago as a cashier. I can tell you that overall, there is very little the company does to keep employees happy, but that if you work at a location with good managers it can be different. At the Sears I worked at you were payed minimum wage and there are NO raises for cashiers. They will tell you this is because you can really "earn as much as you want" by selling credit-apps to people (you got $2 per app and had to get atleast 5 per month to receive the bonus). There were only a few people at my store who were really good at it and most did not even get enough to see the bonus money, but if your gifted at pushing plastic (ack!), good for you?

At my store the store manager was pretty nice as long as you did what she wanted, and if you got 100% on a customer satisfaction survey she would give you a large bar of chocolate. Obviously not company-wide policy, but just trying to rove the point that it can depend on your management.

I ultimately decided to leave though because I hated selling credit cards to people I knew would only get into more debt from them, and because I didn't like that even though I worked so hard to be an excellent cashier, it was still all based on the numbers and if you didn't sell enough protection plans (another rip off) you would get disciplined. And on top of that they expect you to come in on your spare time to do computer training (you always have more to do), but never actually tell you that you are supposed to and then get mad when you don't. And a LOT more reasons.

But I do have to say that many of the people I worked with were great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dos of illinois in chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

Sears tries to stay competitive with other retail chains, you get out the job what you put in the job, when I started I was part time and in a six year time span I have been promoted to senior level management, some of my peers have taken twice as long to accomplish this... retail is just that retail... there are long hours and if your family is more important to you (which it should be) then retail in general should not be the job for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sean D in Gilmanton Iron Works, New Hampshire

71 months ago

I worked for Sears home improvement for 6 months. I drove an average of 1,750 miles per week was put up in Hotels in another state for nine weeks with no other living expenses taken care of. It finaly came to all of our attention if you sell they will not pay you, if you put in a discrepency they will ignore it until it is over the 30 day grace period they give you and the say sorry there is nothing we can do because its past the 30 days. Their policy is basically there to screw the sales rep everybody gets paid except the sales rep. they allow for the contractors to bill for anything they feel and then charge the sales rep. In the last six months I sold over 650k of product after they cancelled jobs because the contractor thinks they are to far away when all is said and done I have netted 440,000 in gross sales with an average of 10% commission I should have earned 44,000 nope they have only paid me 29,000 and this weeks bucks report states I owe them get this $47.00 I have only been paid 420.00 in the last six weeks although i can prove i am still owed $4,970 in just bussiness that has already been installed they tell me that it is waiting for funding to pay them but the customers all paid cash 3 months ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sean D in Gilmanton Iron Works, New Hampshire

71 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Sears?

the average travel is suppose to be 1250 miles per week, they just started paying mileage at 20 cents a mile as of novemebr 2008. beware of what product they have you sell hvac is a total wast of time, you make half the money as a kitchen, siding or windows rep yet you do 5 times more travel and have that many more expenses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10duece in Corvallis, Oregon

66 months ago

Your PA's SUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

keyzs41 in Lansing, Michigan

66 months ago

i want to know .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nuts in Virginia Beach, Virginia

65 months ago

I have been working for sears now for a year and a half,,I use to love going to work but as the days go on I hate it more and more,they dont care about the customers they dont care about the workers,,all they care about is numbers,,P.A. s is their number 1 if you dont buy a P.A they wont make sure you get the best service if your appliance fails!!! you want to cancel a pa they tell you to call the 800 number b/c canceling it in the store brings the store numbers down, with everything thats going on in the world sears needs to be happy the doors are still open,,but it you get a sale without a P.A. you get hammered then if you get the P.A, wHAT ABOUT INSTALL? CREDIT? oh and now scats [when the customers fills out the online survey]P.A. brings the big guys bonuses...not all are we sales reps we are also cleaning crew[we do that for free]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nuts in Virginia Beach, Virginia

65 months ago

Special treats? lol thats funny,,,maybe the specail treat would be them hiring more sales reps to fill the floor and fight to make a pay check,,,we stand there 9 hrs a day with 6 other reps on weekdays and way more on the weekends
Like I said I use to love working there but as the days go on the more greed and less care for the customers and workers I see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

clawl8 in Chesterfield, Virginia

65 months ago

dos of illinois in chicago, Illinois said: Sears tries to stay competitive with other retail chains, you get out the job what you put in the job, when I started I was part time and in a six year time span I have been promoted to senior level management, some of my peers have taken twice as long to accomplish this... retail is just that retail... there are long hours and if your family is more important to you (which it should be) then retail in general should not be the job for you.

You say you were promoted for hard work, good. But also your peers and bosses were quitting and opening up positions above normal. I worked for Sears, I know much of their "employee retention initiatives" which is to force employees out and hire new ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tropical55 in Joliet, Illinois

58 months ago

Was contacted for a Receiving Lead position. Not really sales but according to job description more of a supervisory warehouse position. Would this most likely be salaried, hourly, bonus incentive? Just curious so I can formulate a bargaining plan when I have my interview...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dos of illinois in chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

it depends are you looking for hourly or salaried....in my location the salaried depends on the volume of the store, so you are looking at 37k to a cap of 55k, that also is in effect for hourly they range from 10 to 15 cap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

job hunter in Anchorage, Alaska

35 months ago

I saw a recruitment for a shipping receiving associate w/ Sears. 1. Can someone tell me what that entails? @. Does anyone know the :REAL" starting wage? I have some experience in S/R, but quite a bit in inventory and retail in the past. I have to make a minimum amount just to make ends meet. Don't want to waste my time if this doesn't meet needs. They are showing 25-29 hrs/ wk and 12-17/hr... however, I know how deceiving ads can be. That could be the "potential" you can earn if.. blahblah, you make commission, or make whatever other levels required, etc... and actual wages could be much less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanny Telling in Garden Grove, California

34 months ago

I worked in a Sears in PA for years. The pay was down to minimum wage for the new hires and they expected ALOT for those few pennies. The management team was horrible and lacked any kind of professionalism. The treat to working there was the people however. Several co workers and myself would often get together at lunch and exchange stories of our lives or about our grandchildren. If not for their friendship, I may not have made it through some days at Sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts

34 months ago

The only reason you would EVER want to work for this company, is if you got into a busy appliance department, or if you are in a rural area that sells a lot of tractors/power equipment.

Everything else is minimum wage, no health benefits, and part-time. They purposely keep people at or under 30 hours a week, so that no one qualifies for health bennies. I think there were about 10 people in our whole building that qualified for health benefits.

It's a very small step up from Chinese child labor...VERY small.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MFX in Ann Arbor, Michigan

34 months ago

VintageSinger in Vancouver, Washington said: I worked for Sears up until 6 months ago as a cashier. I can tell you that overall, there is very little the company does to keep employees happy, but that if you work at a location with good managers it can be different. At the Sears I worked at you were payed minimum wage and there are NO raises for cashiers. They will tell you this is because you can really "earn as much as you want" by selling credit-apps to people (you got $2 per app and had to get atleast 5 per month to receive the bonus). There were only a few people at my store who were really good at it and most did not even get enough to see the bonus money, but if your gifted at pushing plastic (ack!), good for you?

At my store the store manager was pretty nice as long as you did what she wanted, and if you got 100% on a customer satisfaction survey she would give you a large bar of chocolate. Obviously not company-wide policy, but just trying to rove the point that it can depend on your management.

I ultimately decided to leave though because I hated selling credit cards to people I knew would only get into more debt from them, and because I didn't like that even though I worked so hard to be an excellent cashier, it was still all based on the numbers and if you didn't sell enough protection plans (another rip off) you would get disciplined. And on top of that they expect you to come in on your spare time to do computer training (you always have more to do), but never actually tell you that you are supposed to and then get mad when you don't. And a LOT more reasons.

But I do have to say that many of the people I worked with were great.

Very true statements. It's funny that every negative point on this thread is responded to by someone at Corporate in Illinois -- in the typical scolding manner in which store employees are talked to. Sears expects top-notch, car-salesman types of sales associates at unskilled, minimum-wage pay levels.

gidget in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

I just started working at sears as a cashier, I've only worked two days and I hate it. I'm only working there long enough to pay a particular bill. I feel sorry for the customers, you cant just go to the register, pay for your merchandise and go. You have to face the inquisition first. I feel like im harassing the customers. I hare having to badger each customer to open a sears card or join the shop your way rewards program. On my first day I got told about the fact that not enough of my customers were shop your way rewards members and that im supposed to get them to sign up
I told the manager that I ask everyone but some people say no. The girl that was training me told me that if a customer is not a member and doesn't want to join that were supposed to enter a fake phone number that she created so that the computer thinks that every customer is a member. Then it prints out on the customers receipt that they have points that dont really exist. I hate it there, I cant be a pushy salesperson shoving more debt down peoples throats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Saint Louis, Missouri

19 months ago

I have worked for Sears for 6 years. They preach integrity but then do not practice it. It doesn't matter which store. I've been involved at several. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most hate I could have for a job... I am at a 9.5. It is a horrible place to work. They are struggling as a whole and pinching pennies but pissing their customers off to do so. They have been on a pay freeze for over 5 years now. They pay minimum wage to everyone hired in no matter how much experience you may have. They hire their friends and pay all of them more. The district manager however, will get a nice fat bonus check every month if he makes credit; I say he because being a female in this company and making your way to the top is almost impossible (and this is being said by a man). They have a 401k plan... but they don't match a penny and they haven't for about 4 years now. They collect the interest on your money while you don't get a cent. They micromanage.... they don't trust the employees, or management in the store. They make you take pictures and email them daily to make sure things are done. They have a thousand reports to read. They actually have reports for reports. Perks, perks, perks... hmmmmm... oh! here is one: after your first 60 days, you can almost never get fired. You can seriously walk around on the floor on your cell phone, eating or drinking, and cuss out a fellow employee and they won't fire you. You can scream and be rude to customers...whatever you want. I once saw someone hit a customer and they got to keep their job. Now... that is a perk!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Female Female in Georgia

14 months ago

Bob is correct. The Sears where I work is minimum wage for new hires which are all part time to avoid benefits. Only Management is full time. If you're not at least an asst store manager, then you will be paid only $2.00 more an hour to manage your dept.
There are no raises, which is hard with cost of living increasing. He is also correct about being fired. The only way an employee is fired here is if he or she is caught stealing. Otherwise- you get multiple warnings, but nothing ever happens. It is a terrible place to work and you should avoid it like the plague. The only reason I work here is because in this economy, it was the only interview and job offer I got.

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

14 months ago

Female female is 95% correct.
You can get fired another way as well
insubordination and conflict in beliefs, miscommunication, trust
and let me explain what insubordination could be at sears
you find a document online from corporate stating what you shouldn't be doing
next day manager asks you to do it you say no, try to explain professionally as to why and your automatically sent home
next day they tell you that the document from corporate is not policy and is just a guide
you ask for proof they come up with none
you go to 88sears they say the same thing without proof

2 weeks later your terminated.

Snipaw in Tualatin, Oregon

14 months ago

Hell, I got fired for asking a question. I asked why the policy when a woman inquired if we had a certain size of vacuum cleaner ($18) bag was to attempt to sell her a brand new vacuum (more than $18). The Store Manager took that to mean I wouldn't do it. I was just wondering what their philosophy of selling was.

Kaipo in Hilo, Hawaii

14 months ago

how go they pay on Sundays? any benefits?

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

14 months ago

Majority of people are part time
so part time benefit gets time and a half on 4 holidays you have to work the day before to get the time and half
there is a 401k but no matching that goes with it.
healthcare is option and expensive many choose not go with that plan
there is 20% discount on apparel
10% on everything else except for electronics
5% on electronics
You sign up for the shop your way you possibly could double the discount.

gato1981 in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

1 month ago

If you work for Sears hard. It is rePAYED!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.