Sears Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Sears?

What do you like best about working at Sears? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois

115 months ago

Sounds like you work for Sears at a capacity that doesn't suit your needs. So why are you working there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Rebney in Forest Park, Illinois

115 months ago

I worked for Sears up until about a year ago. Salaries are OK (or at least they were when I started). Raises aren't much. The company is going to more of a "Pay for performance" model, relying more on bonuses than raises to reward people. Bonuses sound nice if you are in a part of the business that is doing well, like Home Services where I worked. Not always good for other parts, like the retail part of the business. Pay for performance also keeps their costs down because base salaries are kept low, slowing down the pace of salary increases over time.

They have been cutting back on benefits the last few years, citing that they need to do so to be competitive with Wal-Mart and other big box retailers. That in essence said to me that Sears really saw the industry benchmark as mediocrity. I understood that they needed to take steps to survive, but I didn't want any part of that sort of attitude. While not the primary reason for my leaving, it was a factor.

Travel really varies depending on position. I personally didn't have to travel that often.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

pover-tee in Madison, Wisconsin

103 months ago

Just accepted a position in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Performance-based commission is the best business model in sales. If there are other depts. in Sears that don't benefit, then hourly is best. But I don't know of any company who will give you a high base salary unless you have 5+ yrs sales exp. w/CONFIRMED track record,unless you're in pharmaceutical sales or a highly specialized area. But they are extremely anal with their reporting. They keep you on a short leash. After training is over, a lot of companies remove the base salary. People who don't do well in the performance-based model are complacent people, or they are just not a food fit for sales. We SELL at Sears. We sell everything. The days of just ringing up the customer are over. I have not worked for Sears before, but I was hired because there was no one qualified to manage with a track record of success. A lot of companies use to just hire from within. This is not the case any more because outsiders can bring in fresh ideas. Sears fell behind with all the home depots and Best Buys etc... They got complacent. But they are positioning themselves to decapitate their competitors. So expect changes in the way they hire and train. Expect changes for the better.

Performance based pay commission is only good if you've got a good manager, and many of us don't. My department pays straight commission (no base or hourly wage) plus a bonus. The problem is we don't get a protected territory, and many managers just keep hiring and hiring as many people as they can get because they don't have to pay us unless we sell... kind of like a restaurant manager who hires 50 servers and then just gives each server 1 table. The customer gets serviced the same, but the employees don't get the opportunity to make much of anything.

Bonus is based on sales numbers, but there is a minimum amount of work you have to meet to qualify, and when managers over hire then nobody in their department qualifies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.