Sears

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

O_anonymous_O in Hagerstown, Maryland

17 months ago

I've been working at sears for about a year now and I can tell you that it's okay, but that's pretty much about it. I'm not gonna sit here and type about how I hate this or how I hate that, because you're not going to like every single job you have in your lifetime. Okay, first off lets start with the demands of the managers. At my sears, you must meet quotas. Quotas include Loyalty and Credit applications. It's basically a game of chance. Your chances are increased if you are more personable and inviting. Loyalty is a percentage on your register that starts off at 100% each day when you open. It goes down if people don't have ShopYourWayRewards. 9/10 times people have it so we just ask for their number. If they don't come up in our system, I usually just ask if they want to sign up or not. I was told by a coworker to just then ask for their email next then (to Manually sign them up). Uhm? What the hell? I don't think they want spam and crap when they just came here one time to get something, otherwise if they came here or to Kmart a lot, they'd have the damn shop your way in the first place (-__-). Then we must try to give them a speech about how if they sign up for a sears master card, it will save them fifteen dollars on their purchase, or if they sign up for the store card they save ten, OR if they do both they save twenty five. We also mention that there are no late fees, no need to activate, and the fact that they can basically cut the card up when it comes in the mail, and just let it de-activate. It honestly just saves them money, and half the people don't understand that. At my sears, they say it's one credit to sixteen people. What if sixteen people already have it, or don't want to sign up? It's simply a game of chance and it sucks. Also, a heads up would be that you'd have to be VERY careful on what buttons you press, double checking the screen, and such when you are ringing people up, or making payments. I had two days to "prove" myself...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

O_anonymous_O in Hagerstown, Maryland

17 months ago

...because they placed me in a commission area where there were really no other cashiers, and it was my first day ringing with my number (and for a lot of it I was left alone :c ). I easily messed up on someones payment, they wanted to pay fifty dollars, but I typed in five hundred... Just one extra slip of the finger is all it takes to pretty much get you fired. THANK GOD, that I have some luck or the Gods on my side, that they didn't fire me. As I mentioned, they told me I had two days to prove myself, and I think I did just that. (: They gave me a 4 hour shift and the first customer I had signed up for not only the sears master card, but the sears store card as well, boosting up my credit sales and leaving me with a sense of fulfillment that I would keep my job. My bottom line is, that a lot of it not only has to do with how good you can do the sales pitch but it's a really demanding job, and is a game of chance, that can be very rewarding if you know what to do and if you know what your doing. Another tip that could come in handy is GO SLOW at first. If you wanna be the best, don't start out like you know what you're doing (especially if it's your first job, like it was mine!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.