i believe it is not fair that i am fired for this reason

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

george in Warren, Michigan

54 months ago

sears and me ...

my story is :
i used 2 coupon for two different customer it does not belong to the customers that i rang the sale for.....Loss Prevention called me after 15 days and asked me to explain what had happened….!

1- I told loss prevention office what happened exactly with the first customer that i rang the sale for.. I was ringing the sale up for the customer and he seen that there is a coupon on the counter for $5 off and he asked me if he can use that coupon with his purchase, i told him ok because we were told never say no to a customer and i was afraid if i did not give him the coupon he will not go thru with the purchase.

2- I told loss prevention what happened with the second situation which is, i had a customer using a $10 discount (day pass) i used it for that customer and i put the pass day discount next to the register and another customer came with their purchase to be rung up and asked me how he can get a discount from Sears.. i answered him that he can go to Sear website or Sears face book and sign up with then then you will start receiving coupons and different offers and i showed him the coupon that i used previously.. at that time he asked me if he can use it, i was confused to say no, so i used it not wanting him to have bad experience at Sears, after that i went to my manager and explained to him what had just acured and he told me you’re not supposed to use this for another customer, then i took that coupon and put it in the basket at where we are supposed to put them.
And I never did again with any customer. After i explained everything they tell me you are fired, and this is a $15 loss for our company!! and i told them i will pay this loss but they said you dont have to !!!!!!! I thought that were are here to sell and make sure that the customer is satisfied and we are taught not to say no to a customer and the customer comes first, so i believe it is not fair that i am fired for this reason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sears GM in Warrington, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

George,

I'm a GM at a Sears location, and although I would have handled the situation much differently, the store does have a right to terminate you. I would have allowed you to keep your job with a coaching and/or retraining on Shrink/theft. Sometimes with LP, they assume this is not your first time, it's just the first time they caught you. Again, I would have handled the matter much differently, but I don't know the circumstances or you LM/GM's side of the story. I suggest you call your DM or HRD and explain what happened. If anyone can reinstate you, it will be one of them. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

george in Warren, Michigan

53 months ago

Sears GM in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: George,

Mr GM ....
let me tell you something more about my bad experince with sears ....they didnt caught me IM THE ONE who told the managers about it and they told me its ok you’re not supposed to do it AND DONT DO IT AGAIN .......
let me tell more :I still remember when we had a morning meeting with our department manager and he told us that we have up to $20 in discount if the customer asks for one, he also said that it is easy to give a discount for $20 and the customer return to Sears for more purchases in the future, but it’s hard to buy a customer for $20.!!!!!!!!! AND WHEN THE HR ASKED HIM ABOUT IT HE SAID HE DIDNT SAY THAT ?????!!!! SO WHAT KIND OF MANAGER SEARS HAVE ???!!!!!
Finally what i did, i was trying to do a professional job with the customers and make sure that they are satisfied. I feel that i was fired unfairly, when i used to call for help or if i was unsure about something, one of our managers came to me and said George from the whole department you are the only one that calls the manager so much and you need to do thing on your own, so when i faced this situation with these customers, I was afraid to call a manager so he does not yell at me again and also afraid of the customer saying Sears is cheap and not do the sale. AND WHEN THE HR ASKED THE MANAGER ABOUT IT HE SAID HE DIDNT SAY THAT ?????!!!! SO WHAT KIND OF MANAGERS ARE WE DEALING WITH ???!!!!!

1- I never did anything in the store without telling the mangers about it.
2- when the mangers told me it was wrong I didn’t do it again.
3- Im the one who IS telling the mangers what’s happing with me when am on duty .
4- I never hide anything and I was honest with them.
And the amazing thing with my story is after i told them 15 days later the lp came and questioned me.

Mr GM , I would like to thank you for your advice and i know i can do nothing about it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gromit in Sacramento, California

53 months ago

george in Warren, Michigan said:
Having left that vale of tears about 15 months ago, I feel your pain.I did just over 8yrs p/t,and it really went downhill when we went to base+Comm.I was fired for having the nerve to ask for unpaid time off..in absence of a written policy(!)The knob of a store mgr. used the attendance policy instead.Sears prefered associate:Stupid college kids and/or middle age incompetent drunks.Some that are still employed where I used to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

kennethgterral in Novato, California

37 months ago

Sounds like working for Sears is a nightmare. I applied online at Careerbuilder, got an email congratulating me, and a invitation to attend a job fair. I was also asked to take an online assessment. I was rejected, No explanation given. The online assessment was multiple choice, very subjective, situational ethics type questions. I've taken a few online assessments over the years. I know how to answer them. I know their purpose. The company uses these assessments to see if you be a good corporate fit. They want to know if you're a honest, ethical person. I get it. What I don't get is why I was rejected. Their loss, not mine. The position was for a Appliance Repair Technician. They said I could retake the test in 6 months. What is the point of that? My answers would still be the same, and I would be rejected again.

C-Ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

KennethGTerral in Novato, California said: Sounds like working for Sears is a nightmare. I applied online at Careerbuilder, got an email congratulating me, and a invitation to attend a job fair. I was also asked to take an online assessment. I was rejected, No explanation given. The online assessment was multiple choice, very subjective, situational ethics type questions. I've taken a few online assessments over the years. I know how to answer them. I know their purpose. The company uses these assessments to see if you be a good corporate fit. They want to know if you're a honest, ethical person. I get it. What I don't get is why I was rejected. Their loss, not mine. The position was for a Appliance Repair Technician. They said I could retake the test in 6 months. What is the point of that? My answers would still be the same, and I would be rejected again.

C-Ya

I can't pass them either. LOL!

What I have learned is you need to answer strongly agree or strongly disagree - nothing in the middle. You also have to read the question twice.

Some companies around here only let you apply every six months. Been there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

37 months ago

George don't hit yourself on the head with this issue. I've seen employees let go for dress code violations while others get away with it. Its a double edged sword man I will tell you if you work for a company like this again make sure..... Sears is too centralized with policy its too black and white and unlike many companies there is no leeway or forgiveness.

1. you know the policy and follow it so you get lp off your back
2. call a manager have a mindset of looking more incompetent and competent. Speak up once in a while "Professionally" and tell the manager that you want to make sure you do things the right way.

As far as the GM comment.... its a good comment no negativity about however, this points out the hedge fund type system that Sears has To everyone who has worked for Sears as a sales associate you know first hand that the company is split into warring divisions. I can't tell you how many countless times I'd get problems from delivery and online orders that I had no control over. The same with billing. For me I had to troubleshoot many of my problems and other problems because other associates in my department didn't want to do it or the manager said, you solve it.

Lastly I'd encourage you guys to google sears businessweek or lampert businessweek it will pop up with an article explaining in detail or the warring divisions. From FLS, to craftsman, to appliances and how they are all fighting to get resources, lamperts attention, and profit. For goodness sake they can't even get programs or initiatives going because the divisions won't sacrifice a small piece of there budget.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Cache Creek, British Columbia

16 months ago

KennethGTerral in Novato, California said: Sounds like working for Sears is a nightmare. I applied online at Careerbuilder, got an email congratulating me, and a invitation to attend a job fair. I was also asked to take an online assessment. I was rejected, No explanation given. The online assessment was multiple choice, very subjective, situational ethics type questions. I've taken a few online assessments over the years. I know how to answer them. I know their purpose. The company uses these assessments to see if you be a good corporate fit. They want to know if you're a honest, ethical person. I get it. What I don't get is why I was rejected. Their loss, not mine. The position was for a Appliance Repair Technician. They said I could retake the test in 6 months. What is the point of that? My answers would still be the same, and I would be rejected again.

C-Ya

Well, it is a nightmare, absolutely agree. I was fired because somebody from the staff complains about me everyday, just because of personal reason. They create a story like I'm hanging out with my friends in the store while having a shift. Wow, really those management suits only kids behavior, like somebody mention here. Never suggest somebody to work there, terrible environment, they literally force all csd to be pushy on signing up mastercards, which are having 20% interest rate. (10.99 % only for first half of the year) absolutely no support, poor coaching, poor management, poor dusty store with clothes back from 90's (they put it on racks as new arrivals)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.