How to get a job at Sears.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Sears? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Shan in Dayton, Ohio

91 months ago

Just apply and pick your interview date, just go and be yourself. I have had a interview there and would have had a job if the hours and pay were better. I have two kids and can not live on 6.55 a hour at the moment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Leavenworth, Kansas

91 months ago

I worked at Sears for two and half years. I meet great people-many of which are still my best friends-and I love retail. The only problem is the pay. Its great for a high school student, but not for paying the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Lansing, Kansas

90 months ago

The pay in KS was starting at 6.55 for cashiers :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

liz

90 months ago

The pay in Pittsburgh is also 6.55 per hr. I think you get paid more in Hawaii because the cost of living is higher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

In San Antonio, Texas the pay is $6.20 for cashiers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

samia in North Metro, Georgia

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Sears? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
i need to know how to get job in seras

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois

90 months ago

samia said: i need to know how to get job in seras

I applied for a management position at the Sears Corporate Headquarters about middle of December in 2006. About early February of 2007, I was interviewed. The interview process took about an hour and half. I first met with a person who had the position that I was applying for. This person described the position to me and what daily routines, responsibilities and expectations were. This person had been in the position about two and half years. This individual gave a lot of honest information about the position and allowed me ask any questions about the supervisor, the position and general questions about Sears.
The next person was director from a different department that the position would be in contact with from time to time. The conversation was more focus on what my skills and experiences were and how I could contribute to Sears.
The last individual was person actually determining the factor for position and the supervisor of this position.
About twelve or so business days after the interview, I received a call that someone else was selected for the position although my skills were good match, someone else skills was the best match for this position. I was then encouraged to apply for different position with the corporation.
I feel it was nice to get a call opposed to the normal letter by mail. The hiring manager explained to me why my strengths and weakness for this particular position were good but not the best match and to encourage me to apply again for another position. Yes, the wait time was frustrating but I can’t imagine the number of applications and resumes they receive every day for different positions.

You bring God to it, God will get you thru it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Sissy in Rochester, New York

90 months ago

"Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois" i think is a paid Sears employee sticking up for Sears.

To get a job at sears just go into a store and apply or goto
www.aboutsears.com/careers/

you fill out a computer application answer some questions, and if you answer the questions right, it will set you up for an interview, but you may find no-one there to interview you when you goto the interview, and you'll have to try to reschedule another time to get interviewed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois

90 months ago

Sissy said: "Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois" i think is a paid Sears employee sticking up for Sears.
To get a job at sears just go into a store and apply or goto
www.aboutsears.com/careers/
you fill out a computer application answer some questions, and if you answer the questions right, it will set you up for an interview, but you may find no-one there to interview you when you goto the interview, and you'll have to try to reschedule another time to get interviewed.

To Sissy (and how appropriate a name),
For your information I am not an employee of Sears. You seem to be a bit distraught which is understandable when your life is not in order. I guess at the store level things are different than at a corporate level. Because that is not how I got interviewed as you are suggested. So maybe you should set your goals at a higher level if you want to be taken seriously. I have no reason to stick up for Sears. I just would like to read positive information opposed to the negative. If people on this Forum would focus on the positives rather then the negatives of getting a job it would be a win/ win situation for all. There are some people that may not know some of actions required to getting a job. So helping other would be more appropriate to being painful. Voicing your negative opinions is merely shows your ignorance. So get out of the pity party and join those of us who like to a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

My comment is my "true story", of my experiences with Sears, as well as several others.
If it sounds "negative", it may be pointing out to people reading these comments, that there is Negative things about Sears. People looking at Sears for employment, should know all of what they may be getting into. I believe that's what these forms are for. If a person wants to know about Sears, Who better then a person that works at Sears, instead of someone like you who has NOT. If you don't work there, yet write so much about Sears, I believe that is what ignorance would be.
Negative and positive would be good on here, maybe someone who works at Sears and has something positive to say will write something, but I can't understand why someone who didn't get hired at Sears would write about what a good experience it was. I wish you many more applications and many more interviews, with no job offers, so you can have the time of your life.
It also tells alot about you to make a comment on my name, with that, I think you would fit well in Sears upper managment calling different people, names.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Hemet, California

89 months ago

I had applied to work in the electronics department at Sears. I completed the on-line application and the computer scheduled me for an interview. I went to there, they pulled up my application, and interviewed me. The said they would let me know either way within a few days. Nobody ever called me back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

anonymous in Hemet, California,
I'm sure your boring Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois.

But anyways, if they wanted you for the electronics position, they would have more then likely offered it to you during the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

i live in a pueblo in Cranston, Rhode Island

89 months ago

if you dont want your soul sucked, please reconsider a future employment at sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in RM Illinois in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

To Anonymous in Barrington, Illinois and Sissy in Rochester -
Personally I would like to thank Anonymous in Barrington. I have some scheduled interviews coming up at Sears HQ next week and it's nice to know what to expect regardless of the outcome.
Always be prepared and you'll get ahead. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sears worker in Macon, Georgia

88 months ago

I've worked at Sears for a little over a year now. Of course every job has its downfalls, but at Sears the benefits outweigh the bad. There is always a way to move up in the company if you're willing to work for it. Even though pay may seem low, you have to start somewhere. I may have started at only $6.20 (cashier) an hour, but in a year have already got a $2.30 raise. Your surrounded by great co workers, awesome managers, and the best customers which makes Sears a great place to work. A little bit of advice though is don't settle in one spot, constantly work toward moving up. Good luck and God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Angus Young in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

I had applied for a Director Level IT position at the Sears HQ in Hoffman Estates IL. I received a phone call a week or two after submitting my resume and application on-line. I spoke with someone and we covered the details of the position. She said I was a pretty good fit, noted the few areas I may be lacking experience, but said she would let me know.

A couple of weeks later, I received a call to set up another phone interview. This time it would be with the VP or whatever who would have been my boss. At the time of the interview, this person had an emergency and could not make it. So, I interviewd with someone else. It went well.

A week later they asked me to come into the HQ there in Hoffman Estates. I met in the lobby with this VP person who would have beem my boss but, after she lead me to a room she said she had an emergency to tend to and that I would be speaking with two other people via a conf call. So, I sat in this room and interviewed with these two people vioa a speakerphone. It went well I suppose. I never did hear back. Did not reall follow up either as I had an offer from another large firm, a leader in their market, that I believed to be better.

Anyway, the part I find odd is that this person who would have been my boss, at 2 different times, could not meet with me due to some emergency. Oddly enough, I met a person at my orientation at my new firm who had been at Sears for several years there in the HQ. He said they call that building the "Death Star" and you are lucky not to be there.

Granted, my experience may be unique. I had interviewed with several other firms during those last few months of 2005 and Sears was not the most screwed up interview I had. Other firms were worse. One was much worse. But the lack of taking the time to meet with someone who may be your direct report for a fairly senior position on 2 different occasions is worth noting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Meliza in Sacramento, California

88 months ago

Hi.I applied a job in Sears and will have an appointment tomorrow.I would like to cancel my interview what should I do.I dont have their telephone number.Please help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

david in ky

87 months ago

undefined said: null

My experience is in Automotive.I got in through the cooperative education program through the local trade school.been with Sears 20 years now.Please have a valid license and for god's sake be able to pass a drug test or dont bother applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James in Apopka, Florida

87 months ago

About a week ago I applied for a job at Sears online. A few days later a lady called me back and said I would have an appointment for an interview at 2 Pm Fri., well today was that day. I called the HR department just to verify like I always do, and the lady I spoke to said that she was able to bring up my application but I did NOT have an interview. Needless to say I am mad now and will not even bother following up with these people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Billie

85 months ago

If you are still looking for a job at sears apply to Monster.com.

Host said: Do you work at Sears? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fran in Volcano, Hawaii

85 months ago

Nani in Hawaii in Honolulu, Hawaii said: I love working at Sears, the pay is more then 8 dollars, and i'm only a part-time & i'm one of the lowest ranked jobs in the store! it's great, the managers, the co-workers, & especially our customers. Thank God we live in Hawaii, cause the people here are like no-where else. I T0TALLY L0VE W0RKING AT SEARS, & even with only 14 hours each week i still make quite an amount of money. =]

You've got to be kidding! Living in Hawaii is the worse place anyone could live to make a living and the people are so racist.
How in Heavens name is $8/hr a living wage?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

fran in Volcano, Hawaii

85 months ago

Anonymously in Barrington, Illinois said: To Sissy (and how appropriate a name),
For your information I am not an employee of Sears. You seem to be a bit distraught which is understandable when your life is not in order. I guess at the store level things are different than at a corporate level. Because that is not how I got interviewed as you are suggested. So maybe you should set your goals at a higher level if you want to be taken seriously. I have no reason to stick up for Sears. I just would like to read positive information opposed to the negative. If people on this Forum would focus on the positives rather then the negatives of getting a job it would be a win/ win situation for all. There are some people that may not know some of actions required to getting a job. So helping other would be more appropriate to being painful. Voicing your negative opinions is merely shows your ignorance. So get out of the pity party and join those of us who like to a job.

YOU are the sissy for not relizing negitive comments are ALWAYS appropriate to make an informed decision on anything. Grow up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

tizzle in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Samantha in Leavenworth, Kansas said: I worked at Sears for two and half years. I meet great people-many of which are still my best friends-and I love retail. The only problem is the pay. Its great for a high school student, but not for paying the bills.

if your 16 with no experience, is it possible to get a job there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Crandall, Texas

85 months ago

I have applied for several position with the Corporate office in Dallas, TX. I've received no calls. Any suggestions on how to get an interview? I am VERY interested in working here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Wallingford, Connecticut

84 months ago

Do you want to go crazy or what? Don't even show up for the interview, just run and don't stop. Sears is the worst place I've ever worked, the commissions in the appliance section aren't too bad. But, you get threatened weekly when your sales of service plans aren't up to snuff. Management seems to think that everyone wants to buy a service plan when that purchase an appliance from you. You must sell about 10% of the customers that you sell too. When you're ahead of the game they don't know how to say thanks, and when you're behind on service plance they shure let you know weekly if not evertime you show up for a shift. Be careful if you do take the job as the "Old Hands" in the department are a bunch of snakes and you'll catch it because they don't own up to making any mistakes.

Like I said earlier, just run, run, run away and get a job with Lowes, Home Depot, other appliance stores. You'll be happy you did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Barrington, Illinois

84 months ago

fran in Volcano, Hawaii said: YOU are the sissy for not relizing negitive comments are ALWAYS appropriate to make an informed decision on anything. Grow up!

You do realize this statement was made months ago and may no longer apply. Learn to read the entire blog.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Barrington, Illinois

84 months ago

anonymous in RM Illinois in Chicago, Illinois said: To Anonymous in Barrington, Illinois and Sissy in Rochester -
Personally I would like to thank Anonymous in Barrington. I have some scheduled interviews coming up at Sears HQ next week and it's nice to know what to expect regardless of the outcome.
Always be prepared and you'll get ahead. Thanks!

You are welcome. Hope it worked out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ANON in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

how did u schedule your own interview? i just applied last week and didnt get to.

i didnt get a call back or anything either. any info?

thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Martha Stewart in Rochester, New York

83 months ago

ANON in Los Angeles, California said: how did u schedule your own interview? i just applied last week and didnt get to.

i didnt get a call back or anything either. any info?

thanks.

When you applied on the computer, it asks questions, if you don't give the answers that they want, the computer doesn't set up the interview. It may be something as simple as what hours you are availible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

sgarob in Decatur, Georgia

83 months ago

Martha Stewart in Rochester, New York said: When you applied on the computer, it asks questions, if you don't give the answers that they want, the computer doesn't set up the interview. It may be something as simple as what hours you are availible.

Sears, what one was now will fouund.
And it was prefect in the old days.

Now we have a hedge fund and the rest 0f the Board are private eqituy people. So Eddie knows best? Not according to the 52 week low today,

Maybe theu should learn about intergrity instead of getting slaughtered as hogs.Their actions will leave the vacant shells and kill the people but they will have their precious real estate. No Warren Burrfett for EDDIED, Buffet has compassion and knew employees were some of sears best customers and would encourage their frineds to shop. Now they don't even tell anyone where they work there. On and Tonya in Chicago I hope you sleep well at night desrtoying peoples lives, for probably 40-50 thousand a year. You should learm what they pay at the top and ralize the pennies they TiURgive you pennies to do the dirty work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brenda in Kevil, Kentucky

83 months ago

I applied online, set up my interveiw, was 10 minutes early for the interveiw and was told to have a seat they were in an interview and would be right with me. while sitting there I saw a young girl walk in and go on back, then she came out and left, the young girl that told me to hav a seat came back thru and saw that I wa still sitting there asked if I had been back yet, i told her no, mind you this is 45 minutes later, the HR person came out and said I already interveiwed those schedulled for the day and told me I must be mistaken, I said my interveiw was set for 11, anyway she took me back pulled up everything and told me about the job 6.20 an hour and lots of walking, then she pulled up my app and says oh your were let go from your last job because of a rule violation, then said they would be in touch if they were interested. Are you kidding me I spent an hour of my time there for nothing!!! I would not reccomend sears to anyone .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kristyn Goodell in Charleston, West Virginia

83 months ago

I applied online almost 4 years ago (October 8th will be my 4 year anniversary) and got to schedule my own interview time and date, which was helpful. My interview went well, and it being just before the Christmas season, I got the job pretty easily. I have been through many ups & downs over the past years, but overall, I like my job and think the company is pretty good. It all depends on the team of employees you have there. I must add I first worked at the Sears in Newington, NH, and moved to WV and transferred to the Sears down here, and honestly that's the only reason my pay is acceptable down here. The pay could be better, sure, but that's with anywhere you go for a job, right? I would recommend someone going to Sears part-time like I am, since the hours often fluctuate throughout the year. If you're lucky enough to grab a full-time position, go for it! They also have good money making opportunities with selling their credit cards. They will have 3 credit cards available as of next month, and you make money for each application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

And last I knew, the pay for working in the Newington, NH store was $7.20 an hour. Down here in Charleston, WV I believe it's around $6.55 an hour. But I heard they do offer more for retail experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ielensar in California

82 months ago

I applied for Sears online and was interview by the HR person last Thursday. He told me the openings were in the appliance department and the electronics. I chose electronics. He then asked me a bunch of customer service questions. After that, he told me they will be getting back on me for a second interview. Yesterday, they called and scheduled a second interview. I believe in the second interview you get to meet the dept manager. I was wondering what they would ask for the second interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I think they will ask similar questions, but in more detail to that specific department, to see if you are the right person for that position. The HR interview is just the basic screening process. If you make it to the 2nd interview I'd say they most likely will hire you because the HR rep at our store can usually tell by the first interview if someone is Sears material or not....so they say. And electronics is a great dept. to make some good money, as long as you can sell the products and more importantly, the protection agreements. If you are good at extending those warranties, that's the best way to impress them because they can be tough to get. Best of luck on your 2nd interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Smb2886 in Staten Island, New York

81 months ago

i went on my first interview on monday no one was there to interview me so they made a new one for wed. the lady was tired and couldn't do it i said ok and they set up a 3 one for friday i went again she was a half an hour late but it worked out i answered the questions and i got it she put me in the 71 dept. (home and garden) i filled out the paper work they asked me if i wanted direct deposit or pay check and then they told me they'll call me in a couple of days to let me know when i start you got to be stupid to think you didn't get it if you went through all that lol my question is that was my last interview so why is there some people talking about 2nd interview if i only had one and got it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Since it's been about 4 years since I had my interview, I honestly forget if you physically need to bring anything with you. A license, or SS card maybe? You will also need to be prepared to be asked to take a drug test as well. You definitely want to bring a great attitude and smile to your interviewer. The more open, friendly and approachable you are, the more they will like you and most likely hire you. First impressions really do count for a lot these days so make it a good one! Sears is one of the VERY few companies that take smile, greeting and thanking customers seriously. If you don't show them that in your interview, I'm sure they will think you might not be the right type of person for Sears. Good luck Asia!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Asia in Holly Springs, North Carolina

81 months ago

Thank you so much for the help, Ms. Goodell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jade Albert in Lafayette, Louisiana

81 months ago

If you know what is good for you, do not work at Sears. This place is a revolving joke the calls itself retail. How dare they represent themselves as a sponser of "Extreme Makeover" helping families in need when they treat there own employees like dirt. They train you on a computer and expect you to know it all and to live and breathe their acronyms. Yes, they can not talk straight english everything stated in an acronym. For those in Lafayette, Louisiana do not work at this location unless you have very bad work ethics and brain dead, then you are a shoe in. This is the kind of employee they are looking for. Definetely not talented persons who know retail. Do not get me wrong there are some seasoned associates that are good and work very hard and will not move up in the company due to the fact that will cost more to promote talent. Another lame one hand clap that the manager uses to boost morale. What morale? You get paid barely above minimum wage and put up with a bad communication and work with other associates that gossip and talk on their cell phone on the sales floor. Happy PA's! Wishbook #1 this holiday season? Wish to get an Associate to wait on you or walk in to a non-messy store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Meliza in Sacramento, California said: Hi.I applied a job in Sears and will have an appointment tomorrow.I would like to cancel my interview what should I do.I dont have their telephone number.Please help me.

dont sweat it

Kristyn Goodell in Cabin Creek, West Virginia

76 months ago

Jade Albert in Lafayette, Louisiana said: If you know what is good for you, do not work at Sears. This place is a revolving joke the calls itself retail. How dare they represent themselves as a sponser of "Extreme Makeover" helping families in need when they treat there own employees like dirt. They train you on a computer and expect you to know it all and to live and breathe their acronyms. Yes, they can not talk straight english everything stated in an acronym. For those in Lafayette, Louisiana do not work at this location unless you have very bad work ethics and brain dead, then you are a shoe in. This is the kind of employee they are looking for. Definetely not talented persons who know retail. Do not get me wrong there are some seasoned associates that are good and work very hard and will not move up in the company due to the fact that will cost more to promote talent. Another lame one hand clap that the manager uses to boost morale. What morale? You get paid barely above minimum wage and put up with a bad communication and work with other associates that gossip and talk on their cell phone on the sales floor. Happy PA's! Wishbook #1 this holiday season? Wish to get an Associate to wait on you or walk in to a non-messy store.

I do agree with a lot of this, even being an employee. Things have certainly gone downhill at Sears over the years. Our store in particular because it is being over run by former Target employees and they are not familiar with the Sears way of doing things. Now we have no store manager and also 2 major leads have left us for another store (still Sears), the future is scary for us actual hard working associates to think about. We do work hard and try to do our best with the managers we have. Sorry your experience with that Sears was not a good one, but we understand where you're coming from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yoldie vilneus in palm bay, Florida

72 months ago

hi,can u guys please help me cause i really need a job right now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sosad in Colorado Springs, Colorado

72 months ago

yoldie vilneus in palm bay, Florida said: hi,can u guys please help me cause i really need a job right now

Don't apply at sears unless u want to become miserable lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

james in Rock Hill, South Carolina

46 months ago

I filled out my app. online for a sears position sunday. I called monday to confirm that they recieved it and they gave me a time to call back and speek to a manager. I called the manager and she pulled up my app.. After review a couple of key point, she set up an interview at 2:00 for tuesday which is today.. I will reply again with the results of the interview. Remember, confidence is key. Go in knowing that you are a great canididate for the position that is open. Remember they are asking themselves is this a good person to represent my company. Also pre-think threw the interview. We have all had many interviews, we know how they work... use that to your advantage! Think about what type of questions they will ask and think of your reply! aslo watch the way you word it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FCK SEARS in Amsterdam, New York

44 months ago

Just a word of warning for anyone trying to obtain employment by Sears. I interviewed for this company 3 months ago. They call and offer me a supervisor position and tell me I need to fill out pre-employment paperwork. I explain to them that I do have a misdemeanor conviction in the last 7 years and they say, no problem. So they keep dragging this out telling me to go online and fill out the application numerous times, 3 to be exact. This all takes around a month before they get their heads out of their asses, find my information, and actually send me the pre-employment package. The day I filled out the paperwork I headed right down to the lab and took my drug test and sent in my paperwork.
At this point they officially hire me as a salaried employee and even send me a paycheck, a payment card, and all of my benefit information to be filled out. So a day after I receive and cash my paycheck, I am contacted by the manager who hired me saying they denied my employment due to false information provided by the DMV. I immediately prove the information to be false and was told they would review my information again. Now this goes on for another 3 days and I get an email, no even a phone call, from the manager who hired me saying they denied me again, this time no reason behind it.
I email HR and ask for an explanation and I am told it will all be detailed in the letter I will be receiving. The letter I get in the mail has nothing in it other than them saying it was due to information in a background check. Now I was completely honest about 1 non-violent misdemeanor and they said it wouldn't be an issue. I called the number for HR and was supposed to receive a call back from the "reviewer" within 24 hours and they would explain to me why they did not hire me. Needless to say, the call never came.

FCK SEARS in Amsterdam, New York

44 months ago

So here it is a week later and I get a call from the store I cashed my paycheck at. I am told there is a stop payment on the check and that I owe them $190!! So now not only do I not have a job, I am out 3 months of my time and $190!!

I get the information from my background check sent to me and find out there is information on there that is completely false. It is so obvious it is false it is ridiculous! There is a pending charge showing from 1/2003 with no state, no court name, no county, nothing!! Now if you can do math, you will notice that is almost 8 years old. Anyone ever have a criminal court case last over 7 years?!?! I was only asked about the last 7 years in my Sears application so this ridiculous, false case shouldn't be considered anyway, right? Wrong! I assume the reason they won't call and tell me why they didn't hire me is because there is no reason other than a false "pending" case from 2003.

So, anyone thinking about applying to this company needs to really think twice about it. Also anyone who is thinking about buying anything from these people should think, if they treat someone they want to hire like that, how will they treat you as a customer. These people have no regard for anyone. The reason America sucks and the economy is tanking is because of corporations like this that only look at people as numbers.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY LOCAL! SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESSES, SELL THEIR STOCK, GET RID OF THE CORPORATE HOLD THESE AHOLES HAVE ON OUR COUNTRY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ella in Gresham, Oregon

21 months ago

tizzle in Houston, Texas said: if your 16 with no experience, is it possible to get a job there?

YES! I'm 16 and I got a cashier job at Sears with no job exp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lola in Gresham, Oregon

21 months ago

If you apply online and pass the test, you can schedule an interview yourself. Always make sure to call ahead and confirm your interview day and time because there have been instances where the HR department isn't notified that there was an interview. Smile and answer the questions in a calm and positive way.

I got the job by applying to a seasonal position and then setting up an interview. I called ahead to confirm and then went to my interview. The interview went well, though I was a little shaky from the nerves but I made sure to smile and look the interviewer in the eyes. Right after the interview they told me they wanted a second interview, where my parent would come in and sign some minor consent forms. I got home and a few hours later they called to schedule the interview.

My mom and I went in several days later, and I answered a couple more questions (like "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work at Sears"). I was a bit more confident then (probably cause I was with my mum) and the interviewer basically had me do the final applications and have my mom sign consent to a drug test. I went in for drug testing within 48 hours and waited three days to get a call back.

My orientation is scheduled for this Saturday!

I just want to say that the job hunting process is tough. I applied to jobs for 6 months and went to interviews before I finally got the job at Sears. Some of my previous interviews really sucked, too, so it was pretty hard to stay positive. When you're 16 with no job experience, even getting a fast food job is difficult (I would know, I tried!). Just keep applying and always follow up on your applications with a call. Good luck! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sears Candidate in Riverdale, Illinois

19 months ago

Sorry Sissy, I agree with Barrington. I encountered the same situtation. After having applied numerous times over this year, I had an interview with four folks in the marketing department at corporate. I've had three or four calls from HR since. I am awaiting now my offer letter.

I say, if you have the skills and the confidence, keep trying.

Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.