I hate sears

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 230)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

nunamed in az

59 months ago

THis is for sandy you need to click on lower left hand cornor---Reply or view comments. if reply you can put in your comment about this wonderful company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jman03 in Dexter, Missouri

57 months ago

Part 1 of 2

I was employed by Sears for a year or so. I took the job because I am in college and I needed some extra cash. I am also a military veteran and I am currently serving in the reserves. So I'm not some snot nosed spolied college kid, I'm 27 years old and have a family at home. Now that no one can make any hasty character generalizations about me I'll tell you why I'm here voicing my opinion.

During my time at Sears I learned to become a pretty effective sales person. I worked for 100% commission selling appliances. I got along with everyone, including managers. I was always very professional and ALWAYS took care of my customers. I never had a single complaint the entire time I worked there.

Now here's my problem with Sears and their management. Everytime I turned around our commission rates were being cut due to some special sale. When a particular item became "a hot deal" Sears cut commission rates by half. We couldn't ever get excited about a sale because we knew we were always going to get screwed. So I found a way to stick it right back to Sears during these sales. I simply turned the customer away from those items and sold them something else. Even if it meant down selling them into something cheaper. I still made more money by doing that instead of selling the "hot deal" items.
That's a big reason I left Sears. But it's not the only reason.

Secondly, Sears' delivery system is completely screwed. Management needs to get their heads out of their asses, because Lowes is making a killing off of what would have otherwise been Sears' customers. I seen countless people leave the store because it was going to take one, two, three, four, or even 8 weeks to get their appliances. Who's going to wait that long? And on top of that Sears still wanted to make them pay for the delivery! That or use that mail in rebate that every customer absolutely hates. Give them the damn delivery free at the register!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Part 2 of 3

Now on to my next problem. This is more of a store problem than anything. During my last two to three weeks at this store things really started to fall apart. Management became very unhelpful and the sales people became very displeased. See, the manager had his/her favorites at the store. Particularly one person in appliances. During my last week one of my customers called to inquire about their delivery date. Well, since we were having trouble with the delivery system, and it was a big sale, I (with the apporval of my manager) rang their sale up as a pick-up and added a delivery charge to it. The plan was to get the merchandise on a truck as soon as it came in. That way the customer could get it sooner. The customers agreed to it and I completed the sale. I had worked with these customers for a very long time and I was going to make damn sure they were taken care of. The day their merchandise came in I was on my way to the warehouse to deliver the salescheck to delivery so they could ship the appliances. On my way I ran into the "favorite person". She informed me that I had a very large return the day before. It was the exact sale I was on the way back to the warehouse to take care of. I was very frustrated because it had PA's attached to it too. It was a very large commission that I was now never going to see on my next paycheck.

This is where it gets good. She then tells me that she was able to get it on a truck and that she had to rering it in her associate number. She said the manager told her too and that she had no choice because I had my 2 weeks notice in. I called the manager and told her what was going on. I was very professional to both "the favorite" and the manager. The manager said to give her a few days to make the decision. So, I did. "The favorite" also said she was willing to do a commission transfer upon learning that I had talked to the manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Part 3 of 4

I then waited a couple days to let things calm down. I didn't want to lose my composure and act unprofessional. So I went back to do this "commission transfer". "The favorite" wouldn't even talk to me. I then learned that the manager decided to let her keep the sale because I was leaving. That really angered me, especially considering I had a few days left at the store. The manager told me she would likely give the sale back to me considering my record of customer service.

This person basically stole over $160.00 from me and didn't feel the slightest guilt about it. She took food from my baby's mouth. I wouldn't be on here, except that there's one very important fact. This same person has a really BAD reputation at the store. Other sales people told me when I started that I had to watch out for her. That she would steal sales from you if you didn't watch your back. I chose to stay neutral and just steer clear, so I wouldn't make any enemies. It worked all the way until I dropped my two weeks notice. Then she got me.

I watched this woman steal sale after sale from other sales people. She would walk up and take a spouse away while another sales person was trying to sell to the husband or wife. During Friends and Family events she would steal customers who were waiting for other sales people, saying she would give that sales person credit for the sale, alll the while inputing her employee number and taking the commission. She would re-ring other salesmen's saleas and take them. Effectively destroying their pay checks. She would go to a manager EVERY TIME a salesperson made a mistake, that way she could try to get them fired (less competition). She has had a confrontation with almost EVERY sales person in the appliance section. And even has cussed one of their wives. A what happened you might ask? The manager ejected the wife from the store! A paying customer! She is late repeatedly, nothing gets done about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Part 4 of 4

This keeps getting longer, I know. But I have to tell the whole story. Here we go.....

This salesperson has run good help out of that store for the last three to four years. People quit because of her before I started working there, while I was working there, and even after I have quit.....and I quit early might I add. Some of these people were VERY good at selling. They were professional, smart, and knowledgeable about the products. Now, during the last few weeks, the store has lost three very good and well trained sales people. All because of one person. Employees have went to management about her repeatedly and nothing is said or done.

This is why I will NEVER set foot in a Sears store again. It's a shame, I really like Craftsman tools. I may have to go to a different store to buy some of those from time to time. But that's it, lol.

My location is fake. I will not disclose the store location, names, or anything else. I still choose to be professional about this while informing people of my experience. The last part of this excerpt is specific to one store. Most sales people at Sears are very courteous and helpful. They work very hard to serve their customers, I know because I WAS one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

BluBroJake in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

All I can say is what a screwed up company...it started with me having to come back multiple times cause they screwed up the interview time...then because I have a military background they pushed for me to go into LP...I was fine with that, actually pretty interested in it...they said if I did not want to do LP then I would just do cashier....
I met with the LP manager and all I can say is what a joke...first off they said that I would not blend in to their store (blonde/blue eyes) and then proceeded to ask me about getting into fights and getting punched saying that thier LP associates have it rough....anyway they said they would call me back the next day...they did, but only to tell me that they did not have ANY positon for me...even the cashier spot they initially were going to hire me for was no longer open cause they would only be able to give me "next to no hours"...when asked what that meant they said they had no hours...
What a waste of over a week of back and forth with them...I will never go in a Sears again...!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

56 months ago

Nothing's changed! I worked there 20 years ago in tool sales for a summer home from college; no one trained me aside from a 4-hr video on register; we rode the paint mixer all day for fun; occasional barely post-teen manager would randomly pop out of office and say she hated us- then fire us! Jeez!probably jealous we were in college- it was horribly boring, rarely a customer, 10cents above min wage, and had to wear tie!! I also had to work at McD's in the evening- paid better, and I still have alot of respect for them- McD's could run a company!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

redihatesears in somewhere, California

55 months ago

Everything that I am reading about Sears is true! I was a General Manager for Sears, I had a bad car accident and went on a sick leave. After the 12 weeks FMLA was used, they terminated me and cut off my sick pay! I did win the war over the sick leave pay, I am currently getting long term Disability. I talked to a labor lawyer about the temination. They said that they could go to court and "shame" Sears into rehiring me, but they asked why would I want to work for a company like that? They are right, I do not want to work for a company as bad as Sears!! Eddie Lampert wake up!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

redihatesears in somewhere, California

55 months ago

I forgot to mention this. I am not a "rookie" Store Manager, I have 38 years of Retail Management experience! This is just a ROTTEN COMPANY!! Again Eddie Lampert wake up!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

55 months ago

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland said: Nothing's changed! I worked there 20 years ago in tool sales for a summer home from college; no one trained me aside from a 4-hr video on register; we rode the paint mixer all day for fun; occasional barely post-teen manager would randomly pop out of office and say she hated us- then fire us! Jeez!probably jealous we were in college- it was horribly boring, rarely a customer, 10cents above min wage, and had to wear tie!! I also had to work at McD's in the evening- paid better, and I still have alot of respect for them- McD's could run a company!!

I should have phrased that "if you hated us, fire us!" Because she never did discipline us in any way- just said she hated us! Why even do that if you won't even write people up?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spanish Johnny in North Hollywood, California

55 months ago

Sears is a joke! We go through so many department managers and leads that it's hard to keep track of them. Others have said that it's the ones who do absolutley nothing that get all the hours, and they couldn't be more right. At my store, it's the Armenians and Asians that get the good hours because the SL-manager and store manager love their people. Most of them can barely speak English but they are still scheduled during the "busiest" hours, and I've even had a few customers thank me for being able to speak English. What a freaking joke!
It starts out good but the honeymoon ends fast. At first, they start calling you to come in, and of course you say "yes". Then they want you to stay later and later. Then they want you to do a lot more fore the same pay, so you oblige and do whatever they tell you. You work your ass of and not once do you hear a "thank you" or "good job"! Then the hours are cut. New associates are hired and they get all the hours and the viscous cycle starts again.

For months, I only received two four shifts. No matter how hard I worked or complained, I received two four hour shifts. I finally gave up and decided to enjoy my job like the others and do absolutley nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spanish Johnny in North Hollywood, California

55 months ago

IMO If you really need money, don't work at Sears. Just don't. They will jerk you around and force you to quit so that they can hire new employees and take advantage of tax codes. However, if you are a student (like me) and don't really need the money, then this job is perfect for you. After the honeymoon period, you will have so much free time to study and hang out with your friends.

This is one of the worst and most unethical companies I've ever worked for. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone over 25+.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

used and abuuuused in chantilly, Virginia

55 months ago

I worked at the appliance and hardware store sector of sears. I started in march and quit the first week in may. I would suggest that if you do ever work at sears put your foot down and put it down fast. I was still in high school and they tried to schedule me for 29.93 hours a week.. I told them a max of 19.
Second, if you work in the HAS you will know the hustle of the PA/SPP/SYWR/CREDITS. If you happen to have a good day and get four PA's, like I did, they will schedule you soo much in order to squeeze every last PA out of you.
The service department is a joke, I once ordered a product for a customer and it gave us the arrival date as being mid march. When I quit in may, the woman's order was still labeld at "ordered." I would never, ever buy anything from sears above 10 dollars.
My advice, just dont work at sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Cleveland, Ohio

53 months ago

Who actually owns Sears anyway....? Would somebody please tell them to fire everyone making more then minium wage; I've never met/ or worked with a more nasty, self centered, demoralizing, and disturbed group of individuals in my life! What Sears calls Managemnt material, is a little lower than the bottom of the evalutionary chain. What's up with the 10 hour a week swing shifts anyway? Is it that Sears is hoping that you will quit before you reach a year and find out that for all the BS you had to endure you wont be getting a raise? "Yep, I quit!" I just could'nt take it anymore....those managers have college degrees? Please, tell me that they didn't graduate from the school I'm attending! Would sooner be on Welfare than work at Sears....! I actually now work in a labratory and make a decent living...funny thing about that too; I never mentioned that I worked for Sears. The last thing I wanted was for a potential employer to know that I was willing to exploited for minium wage, with no chance for advancement, and ready to go from 28hrs a week to 4hrs. at the drop of a hat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Allie_Dria in Cleveland, Ohio

49 months ago

I've been at Sears for about a month and a half now, and I've already grown to loathe it. I was hired on as a cashier. I make minimum wage and although I do have a husband and child, I'm in college, so I was just looking for a part-time job to help supplement the bills.

When I was hired, I was told that I would be running the register, doing some ready all day, and asking customers to sign up for the credit cards. Not a problem, I thought. I was a telemarketer and a commissioned photographer in the past, so asking isn't a big deal. What they DID NOT tell me, however, was that I was to use cheap tactics to bully people into getting these credit cards. I don't like sales; that's why I left the aforementioned jobs in the first place. I don't agree with trying to bully people into getting something they don't want. It's not what I would consider professional behavior, let alone good customer service.

Naturally, since I'm not a pushy person, my credit is in the hole. But then again, I wasn't hired as a commissioned salesperson, just a cashier. Then, my hours started to get cut. I started at about 30 a week, then 25 a week, and currently I'm at 20 a week. I quickly learned about how the management plays favorites with those that get a lot of apps. I work maybe 4 days a week for 3-4 hours.

I applied for government help since my husband only makes $10 an hour and I'm a full-time college student. We were denied because (according to what Sears told ODJFS) we gross over the income level. So we don't have enough money to get food, pay rent, pay bills, or get medical help (and considering I have some health issues that require both weekly checkups and rather expensive medication, that's kind of a big deal). I'm currently appealing it with ODJFS since there's no way in hell I gross almost $900 a month, and I have the pay stubs to prove it.

See part two below

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

candlestick

49 months ago

Peope who want to pay the difference of a penny must condone
their behavior. I have worked in different retail situations and no matter where they all treat theri associates the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

candlestick

49 months ago

People who want to pay the difference of a penny must condone their behavior. I have worked in different retail situations and no matter where they treat their associates all the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

49 months ago

Seasr has sucked for years. I was a "tool associate"- what an aptly titled position there!- for a summer about 20 years ago; min. wage, completely disorganzed, stock was dumped on floor for us associates to shelve when we got the time; otherwise it sat there in the middle of the aisle.
I received no training but register- not good for a hardware dept!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

Why not say you worked somewhere else maybe like a company that went out of business that can't be verified or even if you have a friend that works somwhere that will vouch for you when a call comes in for the refrence. Try a relatives cell phone as a busines phone and see what happens. Right!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

Read murphys post below

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

You hit it right on the head bake the store manager cookies and go fishing with your dept. manager and you can murder a customer and get away with it. Shmoozing makes the un ethical world go around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Key West, Florida

47 months ago

explain how a person can be on a payroll but there is no hours to work which = no money, so how can one pay a huge debt off that is due?
broken and broke account $80.00 left.
looking for a better job with better pay, but no luck. wondering if i should file for partial unemployment, but if Sears gets wind they may fire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hayz in Bismarck, North Dakota

47 months ago

I worked in the portrait studio there. I was talked down upon by nearly all the managers. I was constantly being called in on my days off and when I told my boss I couldnt come in because of a family emergency she threatened to fire me. She was terrible when it came to training and because of this I had to call other studios for help frequently because she would never help. My overall experiance there was terrible and the working enviroment stressfull and tiring. Not to mention the my bosses boss wouldnt do a thing about anything. Wouldnt work there again if my life depended on it, and I certainly dont recommend applying there to anybody else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Branford, Connecticut

45 months ago

Sears is terrible to work for in commission sales. I was lied to during the hiring process in the store I worked in for a while.

I applied for full-time, was interviewed for full-time and then when I got an offer it was part-time. I found out from other salespeople that they don't hire part-time people at all anymore in commission so they don't have to pay anyone benefits.

What happens is they hire a ton of part-time people, flooding the floor and no one makes any money. Plus, none of the managers help you. The manager s walk around doing absolutely nothing, except texting and thinking they are hot shots on their walkie talkies while they are the only full-time people working in the store.

Meanwhile, people who want to work 40 hours a week and make a good living don't have that opportunity. It's no wonder why Sears lost $217 million in the 3rd quarter of 2010 and will probably lose a ton more in the 4th quarter of 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nunamed in az

45 months ago

To go back and read these posts, and think how long it took me to even find this site and see haw many good people have been "run off" from sears still makes me sick. EEOC will not help wasted 1500.00 on a demand letter from a lawyer who sat on his ass wanting more money. It's dishearting don't know if the dept of justice will help, but something has to be done. When I think of all the labor laws and outright discrimination and yet they get away with it year after year. If only we and current employees could get together and make the federal goverment investagate. I hate to see what was a really good company being riped apart and ground into the dirt. i keep in touch with people I worked with for a long time and it's only getting worst. What happened to me has had lasting afects if I get called into the office I stress and can't stand to have the door shut behind me, and it only to find out that I have been going great and it's time for a raise. The scars don't heal that easy when you know whats been done to you and your reputation. Don't put sears down for a referal. I could personally say what I heard managers tell off the record thats against the law. We were pushed with the crdit apps to the point that we were even giving out english apps to people who didn't speak it(out of spanish,) many times we were told to just get then to sign the app and take it home to read. At one point the L.P. managers had signs posted in the changeing rooms that it was under servlance...the signs were posted inside the stalls. We had a stock room with a common wall with the district managers office, some of the things comming out of there were unbeliveable. And yes if the director of stores saw thae YOU didn't smile at a customer it was grounds for fireing yet her face would crack if she smiled NEVER had a kind word for anybody. I have asked myself how can sears open? Easy they get away with braking labor laws make up rules as THEY need them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nunamed in az

45 months ago

and current empolyees and retired ones are to worried that sears will take away health/retirement benafits, that also has happened and worst of all the young people just don't care because they are passing through and can't wait untill they are out. Then there are the ass kissers who will make oou the best because managers need them to be their sniches. Sorry excuse for a company that started out making you part of the sears family. To bad the unions don't picket sears for importing form countrys that have no child labor laws let alone the laws of this country that are broken every day. Where is the ACLU EEOC united garment workers of America. Any one know how to start a website that can collect information against this company?? And yes I have moved on but how many others have to go through this? Who will stand up for them? Sorry to go on so long but it needs to stop some day.

Flyerz91 in Feasterville Trevose, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Kristyn Goodell in Charleston, West Virginia said: Merchandise & Customer Assistant (MCA) is not the same as MPU. MCAs work the floors, straighten, stock, clean and assist customers with apparel/ home fashions mostly, and MPU handles the pick up service Sears offers.

I work at a sears in PA in MPU and we recently started having to do fill floor along with store maintence and a few other tasks during the course of our shift. Is this or was this the case in your sears or is fill floor still worked by MCA's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

unseen in Fredericksburg, Virginia

43 months ago

Sears...

I love the fact that after your done with test on online it tells you landed an interveiw...wish more jobs where this way...but dont be fooled.

Had my interveiw today...when I showed up, I was the only one there for the job..this shocked me since it seems like it might be a quick job to get...maybe they heard about all the bad things about this company...

There was small room and tacky chairs in a hallway...i knocked on the HR door..waited 5 mins then she asks my name and I was told to sit and wait. 15 mins later another girl comes out..says"your late ...we cant give you ainterview."with a sassy additude. I tell her i know i was 6 mins late due to car issues. she says "SORRY! re apply in 60 days GOODBYE" ....

Based on her reaction alone and the $7.25 pay sears can keep it...

unseen in Fredericksburg, Virginia

43 months ago

Mel O in roseville, Michigan said: First of all, It took me a whole MONTH just to get hired into sears.
They are NOT organized. And everybody there had a really bad attitude.
I was hired in as a cashier. Keep in mind i was only 17 years old at the time.
2 weeks into training (actually cashiering on the floor with experienced employees), I had numerous employees telling me RIDICULOUS things about the company.
Apparently, I had a lady employee tell me, I was "pretty", and that i should worry about my job because "pretty' people get fired. That night, When i was closing my drawer and counting my money, THEY TURNED THE LIGHTS OFF ON ME!! All the lights in the store, OFF! It was completely dark. I was mortified. My first two weeks working there.... I didn't know what to think. THEN, When i asked managers for help, they would tell me i was LAZY and walk away!! It was horrible!! NEVER work for sears!! Because as SOON as i turned 18 (NO LONGER A MINOR), they called me into the office AFTER i worked a 9 hour shift, and told me i was FIRED!! Apparently, i rung up a shirt wrong while i was TRAINING... I just shook my head at them.. I STAYED when they needed help... I was a HARD worker.. I couldnt believe them... Then they tried accussing me of stealing 20 dollars from my drawer! (Other cashiers can USE my drawer also, dont forget)... When i heard that, I told them look at the cameras, because i would NEVER steal money... The two lady's looked at each other and LAUGHED!!! I was so upset. But it gets even better..... Couple weeks later.... I got a letter in the mail... SEARS Company was SUEING me for $200.00 on my mistake for the shirt! (which i don't remember making). Oh, they also didn't tell me how breaks and lunches worked. So when i didn't punch out for a break... or lunch... and i was still working... THEY AUTOMATICALLY DID IT FOR ME!! I could go on.... But my advice... DON'T work for SEARS CO. !![/
you what the hell? did you actually pay them back?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sears is horrid in Branford, Connecticut

43 months ago

Unseen:

Call the Labor Department in your state immediately and file a complaint with them for this. Especially them auomatically taking your time off for breaks, etc.

As for them suing you for the shirt...let them try. They need to have it ON CAMERA.

Ask very simple in court these two questions:

1. Do cashiers share a drawer?
2. Did you get any warning?
3. Is everyone who makes a mistake automatically fired?
2. Where is the video of all of this?

Sears is without question one of the worst companies in America to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fruitcakemofo in West Virginia

42 months ago

I work there now, and it's a great job to have if you like interacting with customers, because the majority of the customers that come in there are very friendly and engaging. It is the managers that are greedy sobs who couldn't care less about the customer and their income. They put fear into us by saying we will get fired if we don't get credit apps. When I ask for the rewards card, I usually say "may i have your phone number please, if you don't mind?" and i got in trouble because they said the customer will hesitate because you ask them do they mind.

The whole company is insane. So, yeah, good for the experience, not good to do for more then a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria99 in Evansville, Indiana

42 months ago

They don't want to schedule anyone over age 20 - they simply want teenagers who have tatoos, piercings, bad attitudes, tricked out cell phones, no work ethic, sit on the counter or hang outside smoking - call off or don't show up and yet they get 30 to 40 hours a week and promotions. Customers complain and management simply doesn't care. Management is sabatoging each other right and left - bitter assistant managers that have worked there 30 years and aren't THE major store manager - they mess up the schedules - scheduling their relatives and those who goof on the managers - store is totally ridiculous. Five to ten people call off day after day - but management is too lazy to adjust the schedule and get rid of those who call off and don't show up. If you have good attendance and good customer service skills - they won't schedule you. Corporate makes it possible to compare credit applications and Reward Applications - managers don't get any - why aren't they fired/laid off/or have hours reduced? Someone who works a grand total of 5 hours a week can get more than them and will still not get scheduled. Numbers mean nothing - it is all goofing on the management to get work hours. Where is district and corporate while this is going on? They are clueless about what is really going on in the stores. Management lies to each other and corporate. Anyone who actually is making this company money is treated like poo. They look for another job and leave this sinking ship of a company. No wonder this company is failing.

glrarrdn in Miami, Florida

41 months ago

Byanes39 in Queens, New York said: howw much do they pay an hour ????? i have an interview coming up for position in merchandise % customer assitance and do they give commision ?

they pay 7.25 thats not enough what you have to do
and what you have to put with bs from the managers,some
are nice and some arent.
its hard to deal with,for that little pay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

severely disappointed in Columbia, Missouri

41 months ago

I worked for the Sears call center for 5 years and loved almost all of it, I couldn't say enough good about Sears and how we treated customers that we worked with. I moved and needed a job so I went to the local Sears store and have been so disappointed for the last year. I actually am in the process of writing up my two week notice because I can't handle the way I am treated by the management and other employees.
I know I am a cashier but that doesn't make me the scum of the earth and when you have to deal with the commissioned sales people who do treat you that way because you "are just a cashier." I wanted a sales position on hardware but they didn't want to hire me for that because "men don't like talking to women about tools" so I took the part time cashier position. When I took the position I was not told that my hours-I was promised 20 a week-were solely dependent on my credit application and on how much the manager likes me. I was also told that they would work with me since I am in college yet I have told them for almost a year now that Tuesdays I can't work and the boss has made a point to schedule me every single Tuesday. We are told if we want a raise we need to get credit apps because that is the only raise we will get. We have two people who are good at bullying people into signing up for credit apps, one is out on medical leave, so the rest of us are punished by having to come in on Saturday morning 1 1/2 hours before the store opens and listen to how they know we can get these credit apps because "employees X and Z get them with no problem." If you don't come to the meeting you are threatened with being written up. Plus write ups are supposed to be given with in a certain time period yet they wait 6 months or more to have you sign the write up, so by that time you don't remember the incident. I am only giving my notice and working it out so that I can get rehired if I move to an area with a call center, never again will I work in a store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stevoman16 in Hagerstown, Maryland

41 months ago

I have worked for Sears for a month now and have to say it does suck. What I like about working there are the employees. Well, some of them. There's two groups of MCAs; there's the group that does stuff and are really nice, and then there's the group of young girls that do nothing but whine and complain about their life and don't do anything.

Since I'm a cashier, I get paid the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. It's not too bad but my hours are cut more and more because of credit apps. I was even pulled in today by my manager so he could give me a "pep-talk" about how to sell credit apps and watch the old people in tools on how they do it. It's tough because 1) the people in tools (who get paid on commission) sell all the high end stuff and nobody cares about getting a credit card for a $5 item. 2) Most people have the credit cards but always choose not to use them which means I need more credit apps. I was also told to be more enthusiastic and to set goals... I'm sorry, I didn't know that my smile-all-the-time face and my ability to try my best weren't enough. I'm a great sales person and wanted to be in the electronics (going to go to college for computer repair, what I'm really good with) but apparently you have to be more than 30 and know nothing about the stuff to get the job. Seriously, we have customers come from other departments to buy stuff from the other departments because the employees tell them they can't ring it up. It's great, that means I need more credit apps... Not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stevoman16 in Hagerstown, Maryland

41 months ago

I also wanted to add some more about Shop Your Ways and credit apps. First off, most people have a SYW card or account which is fine. However, if you don't get someone to sign up, your looked at like you suck at your job. I literally had a day where everyone had a account and my manager said I need to try to improve my SYW. Kind of hard when the customers already do. As for the credit apps, I had no clue they effected everything. When I went for my interview, they only said that credit was important and we should try our best to sell it. Instead, they should of said that that's all they care about and if you don't get credit, you will lose more hours and get compared to the "better" employees.

Also, we have this one guy who works for us in security who has the easiest, bestest job ever. All he does is listen to his iPod, wear normal clothes, and walk around the store and mall (my Sears is in the mall). That's all he does. Yet, he gets paid about $10 an hour and works full time. Only once I seen him do something, which involved him calling the police and talking to an officer for a minute. Afterwards, he put his headphones back in and walked away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

erikm210 in San Antonio, Texas

40 months ago

I have to agree with everything.
Sears is a horrible company, after this week it'll be my 3rd and LAST week at Sears, the managers talk down to you, I just started and my hours got cut, and I only make 7.25.
I work in the receiving department, I come home everyday with cuts and bruises all over me, lower back pains, and blisters. I did plumbing before Sears and the conditions were worse, but I still got paid more and didn't come home the with new injuries.
The other day I had to page TV lock up and as soon as I paged, we get swamped with peps of people picking up their merchandise. I had to load up 4 different customers and while I was the 2nd one, an ASM shows up to unlock tv lock up, and I was still swamped, by the time I was done I checked if he was still there and he wasn't. I paged again and he stormed into MPU and walked to tv lock up and here goes a transcript of how it played out.
ASM-"Where were you?"
Me-"I'm sorry sir, we git slammed with orders and I had to load them."
ASM-"Well why did you waste my time paging me?"
Me-"I'm sorry, the orders came up suddenly."
ASM-"Well I don't care what happened, don't page me and then not show up."
Me-"Sir, there were customers waiting"
ASM-"I don't care about the customers, if you page for something drop what you're doing and grab what you're going to grab, I don't have time to respond to all the pages."
That was the only time we paged him that day.
I hate Sears, I'm going to HR tomorrow to let them know that I'm leaving, also worst part about it is that a sewage line busted in the break room and the whole first floor smells like sewage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Sears CEOs and management are the definition of dysfunction.

It isn't that Sears can't find good employees - Sears doesn't want good employees. If your good, management will make the employee miserable, hounding and pounding them for the impossible. On the other hand, if you play around and don't work - and are between the ages of 16 and 21 - you have a 40 hour a week job!

Concerning rewards cards - why do customers put up with this? The CEO wants email addresses and cell phone numbers for his big plan - selling them to the app companies! Sure most everyone has them except the 13 year olds - that is why they only hire 16 year old cashiers - so they will come in and sign up for their friends who work there - nevermind that the same 16 year old cashiers do nothing but goof off and text their friends about where security is - so they can come in and shoplift.

If a person hired actually works they get treated like garbage - it is all about goofing off and all that matters is credit aps, reward cards and PAs. Doesn't matter if your excellent at waiting on customers and selling merchandise that is not a Sears goal.

Despite the economy 3 weeks is about the average time an employee sticks around.

3 minutes is about the average time a customer puts up with the nonsense they see before walking out the door.

It is all about poor management staff that is hurting Sears profits. They don't want employees who do an excellent job - because the management can't do an excellent job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Here is an example - Let us say your Sears store has 100 employees, 80 of them are part timers getting 10 hours a week or less (yes folks that is what Sears does). But the majority of the part timers are still dependable, of course they are looking for work, since they are only getting 10 hours a week, they have plenty of time on their hands. So some of those part timers find a job and they quit, some just don't show up, others do call and tell them they are quitting now, some give two weeks notice. Of course those who walk out are always treated better and asked to come back.

However let us say you are getting that 10 hours a week or less, you look in the paper and or online and surprise you see Sears is hiring, not just any Sears, the Sears you work at, and it is your department too! So you say to the management - why can't I have more hours? You can't! Why? You can't! Now keep in mind every time someone quits or doesn't show up, employees who do show up get to witness managers hopping around like grumpy bunnies (I learned that term in my wonderful Sears training). But the managers would rather have a temper tantrum every time someone quits or is calling off or being a no call no show than to actually give the employees who do show up and work a decent amount of hours.

But yet the managers NEVER change this habit - it goes on for years and years.

Managers act totally shocked when people quit.

Managers have a grumpy bunny temper tantrum when the same person calls off over and over (yet they continue to schedule them the most hours).

Just think of the expense this company goes through constantly hiring and training new employees, because they will not give employees who show up a decent amount of hours.

Now if you are an employee who calls off constantly or wants to request all the holidays and weekends off, you have it made, you will be a fulltimer right quick!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fruitcakemofo in West Virginia

39 months ago

I tell you, I HATE SEARS with an f'ing passion. Awful managers, lousy associates, and HORRIBLE security guards. They harass the associates more then the customers who actually steal!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Quit on 3rd

39 months ago

Sears in rego park = horrible! Minimum wage job, all the employees want to quit and that is all you constantly hear them say.i should have known it was $hitty because after filing out an application they call you back in under 24 hours. first interview i was told by the lead how horrible the store is which i appreciated their honesty. Ron is probably the most annoying person at the store. All the equiptment is damaged and the freight elevator is not working, the store and the offices are filthy and overrun with fixtures thrown all over the place. (Or fans like the training room)That store definetly needs a union... ron makes sales/stock associates stand on the corner of junction blvd with stacks of fliers to hand out promoting family and friends night.... even made one guy from the stockroom hold a huge sign out on the avenue for a few hours like a loser, definetly low budget.Do not disgrace yourself,times are hard and jobs are scarce but even mcdonalds with start you off with more even by a dime!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

miserable@sears in Midland, Michigan

38 months ago

Mel O in roseville, Michigan said: First of all, It took me a whole MONTH just to get hired into sears.
They are NOT organized. And everybody there had a really bad attitude.
I was hired in as a cashier. Keep in mind i was only 17 years old at the time.
2 weeks into training (actually cashiering on the floor with experienced employees), I had numerous employees telling me RIDICULOUS things about the company.
Apparently, I had a lady employee tell me, I was "pretty", and that i should worry about my job because "pretty' people get fired. That night, When i was closing my drawer and counting my money, THEY TURNED THE LIGHTS OFF ON ME!! All the lights in the store, OFF! It was completely dark. I was mortified. My first two weeks working there.... I didn't know what to think. THEN, When i asked managers for help, they would tell me i was LAZY and walk away!! It was horrible!! NEVER work for sears!! Because as SOON as i turned 18 (NO LONGER A MINOR), they called me into the office AFTER i worked a 9 hour shift, and told me i was FIRED!! Apparently, i rung up a shirt wrong while i was TRAINING... I just shook my head at them.. I STAYED when they needed help... I was a HARD worker.. I couldnt believe them... Then they tried accussing me of stealing 20 dollars from my drawer! (Other cashiers can USE my drawer also, dont forget)... When i heard that, I told them look at the cameras, because i would NEVER steal money... The two lady's looked at each other and LAUGHED!!! I was so upset. But it gets even better..... Couple weeks later.... I got a letter in the mail... SEARS Company was SUEING me for $200.00 on my mistake for the shirt! (which i don't remember making). Oh, they also didn't tell me how breaks and lunches worked. So when i didn't punch out for a break... or lunch... and i was still working... THEY AUTOMATICALLY DID IT FOR ME!! I could go on.... But my advice... DON'T work for SEARS CO. !!

I'm quitting tomorrow!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SearsCanBurn in Luckybuck, Kentucky

38 months ago

This is BY FAR one of the worst companies anyone could ever work for.

I started out as a cashier (they hired me almost as soon as I came in) and talked me into being a cashier (I wanted to be an MCA). Being a cashier at Sears is like being a Jew trying to outwit the Nazis, they literally are on you about everything. Credit Apps which are close to non-existent to obtaining (at least not 4 a day), Rewards Cards which annoyed nearly every customer I would ask, and the lack of help at the store. I would work on the second floor and would be the ONLY one there, they never scheduled MCAs and the cashiers were stuck doing the job of three people. The store managers were foul mouthed and rotten, nearly every morning ready meeting our MAIN manager would tell us to quit if we didn't want to work...INSANE!

I beg everyone to shop shopping at Sears, or at least DO NOT FILL OUT THE CREDIT APPS! THIS IS HOW THEY STAY IN BUSINESS.

Oh and I feel your pain for the people who were taken in through LP. I was accused of 'misusing' the rewards system after working there for 10 months. How I did it, I'll never know, and as a matter of fact, neither did they.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hatiinglife in Michigan City, Indiana

38 months ago

I just started at sears about 2 weeks ago or so, i got hired in a week before that but i was hired in like a week or 2 before that but i had to wait because my background check came in a day late so i had a week of nothing than i started and once i started i had one day of training and than the next day i was thrown on the floor the next day by myself with no one else who had experience in the fine jewelry department (which is the dept i work in ) which normally i understand but i've never worked in retail before or worked a register. Than after all that i find out all new people have to work the docks, somthing they conviently started with my orientation class and at first it was only one day i just got called in for my day told i was to go in for a measly 4 hours, and that i had 12 hours left of dock training after that. I'm miserable :( and all this for a whopping 7.25 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

edwin rego ny in New York, New York

38 months ago

Ron is cockeyed and i cant really tell when he is yelling at me or looking at the wall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Big Mike in Austin, Texas

38 months ago

As a former Technical Support Specialist for Sears Holdings in Round Rock, Texas, I can tell all of you, not only is the customer service terrible, but this is also a horrible place to work at. I started in 2010 & left in May 2011 & I will tell you this was the most draining job I've ever had. Sears has such a cold-hearted outlook on true customer service. We're trained to promise & apologize non-stop & say, "yes sir/yes ma'am I can fix this problem", but honestly, only 20% of those promises are actually followed through. Plus, were given a 6 week crash course on product troubleshooting (which no one becomes a true expert on), along with poor scripts on how to deliver true customer service, which is an absolute joke. As I research further & read more & hear more complaints, even from my own friends, who I beg not to shop at Sears, face it, THIS COMPANY IS DONE! Walmart and Target are stepping up, JC Penny, Macy's, Nordstorm,& other department stores pretty much stole your "loyal customers", and as far as appliances & electronics goes, Best Buy, Lowes, PC Richards, Home Depot, & even mom & pop shops are kicking your @$$! To all current Sears employees, start job hunting now. Even if they manage to survive the 3rd & 4th quarter sales of 2011 & the first part of 2012, don't make a career here, especially if you work @ Sears in the Central Texas area. And if any of the "powers that be" in the Round Rock, Texas office are reading this & getting offended, GOOD! Because you lost an employee & a customer for life. Besides, who wants to stay at a company with the highest turnover rate in the central Texas area, where no one is guaranteed a well deserved promotion or guaranteed time off because of so called "business needs", even if it is a emergency and your managers are more useless than healthcare for a prostitute. So, why the hell would anyone wanna work or shop here? I'd rather lick a toilet seat!

whattodo in Wayland, New York

38 months ago

I was technically fired from Sears on June 13th of this year, which I find extremely weird seeing as how I was on the clock that day AND worked a 4 hour shift the next week. I called for my work schedule every Friday (the day the new schedule is posted) from June 18th thru the first week in August and was told "you have no hours this week" every single time I called. I noticed after two pay periods my 88sears account was no longer active - which means I was terminated but I kept calling to see if anyone would say that to me. I received a letter from the Department of Labor August 11th stating that I had been terminated from employment on June 13th and was given forms to fill out. I find it funny that I was in constant contact with my immediate manager for a schedule and no one in that store, including him, informed me personally of my termination!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chromethang305 in Miami, Florida

38 months ago

All Sears is worried about is Money, they do not care about their employees nor customers. If your not a CEO, Chairman, President, Vice President, Regional Manager, District Manager and/or a Salaried Mananger, you are a nobody. Known Fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

I Agree in Carmichael, California

37 months ago

Kfavard in Brooklyn, New York said: This company is run buy apes i swear they dont see the associates that are working and the ones that are just doing nothing, YET they get all the hour mean while im stuck with 10 hours a week???
When i quit sears i will be the happiest person in the universe

Agreed. I think it's a racist, sexist, mean spirited Good Ole Boy and Girl club in corporate. Sears Holdings is the one to be hated, not the traditional Sears. Sears Holdings merged Sears and Kmart, and they are going out of business due to their poor, careless, dirty management [there rumors were disgusted, manufactured lies, for instance: Dirty, dirty], and how badly they have depressed and harmed the self esteem of the workers who didn't fit into their loop of OGBsand Girls. So, since this is a majority of people who aren't Good Ole Boy, they have driven themselves out by not EVEN being a company that honors human rights, dignity, and respect. It's quite the opposite, with Sears Holdings. I believe the real Sears wouldn't be like this, but maybe I'm wrong. I only lasted a few months with their lies and military style debasing control tactics that weren't necessary, as I was already disciplined and hard working enough. This Sears Holdings actually, in my opinion, values the slackers and liars, the ones that will retaliate and drive out those not in their GOB loop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

I Agree in Carmichael, California

37 months ago

miserable@sears in Midland, Michigan said: I'm quitting tomorrow!!!

Please before they drive you sick or insane. They're shananigans are driving them out of business. Their ethics are as dirty as a crime organizaitons. SEars Holdings also outsources employee PI to India, a possible enemy country claimed as an allie. But why didn't Sears outsource to a country that wasn't in the middle east. Get yourself and you PI outta their datebase for safety.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.