I hate sears

Comments (151 to 200 of 230)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

check it out in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

someone made a mini series on how sears sucks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvM9MboONeY

theres like 7 parts!

DeanDaKnow in Great Falls, Virginia

22 months ago

ALWAYS
a concern of the attorney general of, continuing and amending (DV),dishonesty and neglience of store management and the management corporation and/an, escalating concerns of sears of the fed

ALWAYS
participations and interferences of disabilities of no benefit or compensation

ALWAYS
not allowing for recoveries of monies

ALWAYS
After 25 years of all employments, I am forced to take a government benefit

LET ME TELL YOU I HAVE NOT ONLY REPORTED THIS CORPORATION TO ALL LEVELS OF STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

IT COMES TO NO SHOCK THEY ARE "ALWAYS" CLOSING STORES

LET ME TELL YOU BROTHERS AND SISTERS THE FLORIDA STORES ARE IN BIG,BIG TROUBLE

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

22 months ago

Sears New Cult like Culture
Starts with a members rally it ran like this at my store at least

where everyone chants "To serve, delight and engage our members while they shop their way" what a load of bull. Its more to make a profit on our members while they shop our way.

Focused storytelling- Most of the time managers say a 30 second recognition about an associate dealing with See it, own it, solve it, do it. And it goes like this, "This is what own it looks like to me Tiffany saw a pile of clothes on the floor and picked it up without being told even though its not her main duty to do so.

r2 key results is just them going over sales. closing the gaps is getting more credit apps and protection agreements

store activities is usually when they tell what there doing like oh we're getting new ipads for our store

a2 actions spotlight are the people who make high quota

Focused recognition is like a good comment card for employees by employees/managers more of a favoritism game. you put em in the box and they draw 3 people for employee of the month how stupid

22 months ago

This makes me laugh the company can't even follow this

Above the line is
Do it, solve it, own it, see it

Below the line is
wait and see
confusion/tell me what to do
its not my job
ignore/deny
finger pointing
cover your tail

In any business you will always get "below the line" that will never change. And when the company doesn't even follow this or strive for this how are you going to get the majority of employees to follow you?????

22 months ago

Key results is probably going to knock your socks off

Deliver a "wow" member experience
Become the worlds greatest integrated retailer
build a team of engaged associates who embrace change and technology
operational excellence to drive profitable sales.

In reality and it will never change

Worry about the bottom line and members are just bags of potential profit
Become the worlds evil empire being hated by all sectors of society
build a team of peons who are forced to embrace change and technology (tech is actually a good thing at sears)
Operate the most inefficient and inexpensive way to drive profitable sales

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

22 months ago

My sister worked for sears. They let certain employees get away with murder. They then told her not to come in and then lied to the DOL and said she walked off the job. They are a horribly deceptive and unyielding company.

Ddk in Great Falls, Virginia

22 months ago

standard (x2)

I work with White House Disability Group
/and are concerns of SEARS HOLDINGS
is; that is, its policies for all, are not
being upheld, of the state of our federal laws,
rights and statues (discrimination)

Continuing and Amending of No Benefit Recoveries
/and an Ecalating Concerns for RTW Benefits
"attorney general pam bondi"

22 months ago

I have a representative group that works with the White House

I can share with you in meetings with my store manager
/or in conference meetings
that hired supervisory/management of sears believes
their divided time is directional of retail work only

directional to hospitality and retail is dividing your time
of supervisory/management of the needs of, its
loyal guests,loyal customers,valued employees
and its visitors (directional customer service)

22 months ago

upon parting from sears I, dean ewing was awarded
by the White House to join its Disability Group
as, I had become victim of discrimination of
an escalating and a continuing-amending concern
DV(aided and participated)of a cause
for disability and wrongful death

it is of my college study, that this
unyieling behavior of a 21st century corporation
is in belief, that its; "security is" govern based;
an unstoppable geographical paradox
(a way, of getting away with murder)

22 months ago

ddk elaborate

21 months ago

shcsearssucks@gmail.com

Done with Sears in Delaware

21 months ago

Yesterday was my last day at Sears. I dropped all my Sears stuff in the trash can outside the front door of the store on my way out. How could it have taken me 7 1/2 years to finally decide I'd had enough of Sears? Well, it was the new manager. A youngish woman with a smile on her face and the determination to prove herself worthy of being a store manager, no matter what it took. I keep asking myself, "WHY would ANYONE want to be a store manager of a company that is plummeting out of existence? "

Someone asked me a couple months ago what my impression of this new woman was and I said I was reserving judgement. After being closeted with her in the cash room for a 20 minute private meeting two days ago, I've finally made my judgement and she comes up wanting.

I've worked in the office as an assistant for the entire time I've been at Sears. The whole time for minimum wage. About 3 months ago, they hired another office assistant (for $2/hour more than me) even though there were no hours available. I was assured that my hours wouldn't be affected. Lie. They immediately went down to 13 hours a week. The other assistant got a steady 28 a week. This was a bit after they changed the hiring system. My immediate boss refused to let me onto any information I needed to set up interviews or even see who was applying. How was I supposed to do my job with no access? However, she DID let this new woman have access to the site.

So, this week, the new store manager cut my hours to 3.25 for the entire week (the other office assistant gets 25) because of a supposed performance rating. The other office assistant was doing MUCH better. Well, of course, she has access to stuff I didn't have access to. Instead of pulling me aside privately to talk, they chose to cut my hours. This is the way they treat EVERYONE in the store. They treat us like stupid children.

21 months ago

The new store manager told me that I was no longer needed in the office because of my poor performance . What does she know about my performance? She's only been there for 3 months. And my immediate boss is NEVER there when I'm there). She offered to move me to a cashier position or out on the sales floor or I could remain in the office with 3.25 hours a week until Christmas time to see if any more hours became available. None of those options suits me. As a cashier or a salesperson, I would be required to put up with the PA, credit app and SYWR nonsense. None of which I believe is in the customer's best interest. I would be required to attend the punishment meetings every Saturday morning (whether I was scheduled to work that day or not). I would have to see my name plastered on the office door and up in the lunchroom highlighted with yellow showing what a horrible, useless worker I was. I would have to sit through monthly meetings with the ASM where she would tell me how awful I was and that if I didn't start doing better, she was going to fire me or cut my hours till I learned to do better. All of that humiliation I can do without. Life is hard enough without Sears deliberate meanness and pettiness.

Then, the store manager asked me how my communication was with my boss. I told her I never saw my boss. Well, that answer wasn't pleasing to her. She said I should be sending her e-mails (and how was I to do that if I was only given e-mail access 6 months ago?) or calling or texting her. And I should have been calling other stores to speak with people there who have the same job as me to find out how to do this new hiring system. For MINIMUM WAGE? She said, "We're looking for people who can work on their own." I have discovered every time I have done things on my own initiative there, I've been chastised for it because I've somehow done it not to their liking.

I can tell that this woman is going to be a TYRANT. And I am relieved that I will not be there.

21 months ago

Sears is the worst company I have ever worked for. I am firmly convinced that the dregs of society are all they can find for management. The most incompetent, rude people, lacking in basic people skills. Everyone who is decent, leaves. In our store, employees are yelled at and humiliated in front of customers. We had one pregnant gal a number of years ago who was knocked down by an ASM who was mad at her. Speaking with other employees is frowned upon. Of course, no negative talk about Sears or with other employees is accepted. Routine punishment by cutting hours. Turn over is horrible. Often, people will be there for such a short time that I don't even know their names. When I first started there, we had 65 people in the store; it's now down to 40. Customers are always complaining that they can't find anyone to help them or even answer the phone when they call.

There is absolutely NOTHING that I will miss about that store. I will never set foot in it again. They are always talking about gaining customers for life. Well, they have just LOST a customer for life.

Fruitcakemofo in West Virginia

21 months ago

Here's a list of what's so AWFUL about Sears:

(keep in mind, I worked there over 3 years ago and moved on to a MUCH BETTER JOB, which I URGE all of you current employees to do. There is absolutely no future with Sears, unless you are a sadist and love torture or love working your behind off for 7.25 an hour!)

1. Management is only concerning with covering their behind, not protecting you which would be part of their job.

2. If you are an MCA, you are expected to make the store nice and tidy while helping customers and you are EXPECTED to get at least 1 credit app and 3 shop your way rewards members a week. How is this possible when they tell you to stay off the register?

3. The brands Sears carries are absolute crap. What Grandma out there is still wearing Gloria Vanderbilt jeans and Canyon River Blues T-shirts? Also what respectable idiot wants to be seen in Kardashian clothes? This level of merchandising shows how lost they are in the retail world.

4. Land's End attracts the most customers (at least in my area) and they are supposed to ring up their own merchandise, well this doesn't always happen. The more you sell, the more you must get credit apps and etc. Land's End associates generally think they are not Sears workers and do not ring up Sears crap, causes an endless line of drama that only results in headaches.

21 months ago

5. Good luck being a cashier in Hardware or Appliances, unless you have previous experience with these things. Customers look at you like you are mentally unstable if you can't help them find the proper wrench. Also Hardware associates are the WORST. They think you are stealing every single sale, no matter what.

6. Which brings me to the biggest problem: being a cashier. This is the absolutely worst job at Sears. So much is expected for $7.25 an hour (also no raises unless you do something miraculous in 10 years or so; might get a dime) and everything is on you. Sales, customer service, credit apps, shop your way rewards (which is a joke), gift registry, did I mention credit apps?! I never felt so seedy and deceitful until I had to push credit cards on people who looked like they could barely afford an outfit. This is expected! Ask anyone who looks like they need a deal! At our store, you were expected to get FOUR a day! How is this possible in this economy to expect people to apply for a heavy as hell interest credit card for a store that generally sucks?

21 months ago

You were expected to get 8 NEW shop your way rewards members a day. Again, most people did not have a clue what this was and did not want to take the extra 30 seconds I needed to explain it to them. Eventually, the managers wanted us to just ask for people's phone numbers so we could get more. I can't tell you how many times I was verbally assaulted for asking for someone's phone number. Which brings me to my next point:

Each transaction would take 3 minutes, IF you followed all the rules they wanted you to ask: shop your way rewards (1 minute), credit app (2 minutes, ask 3 times if they are sure!), military donations (3 seconds, they said no), angry expression on customer's face (priceless!)

I never got assistance with the excessive amount of customers that would build up (code 3's brought no one except more complaining managers) and MCA's would be forced to help whether they could or not. Drop everything and help.

Management soon started posting a bulletin board around the store that showed how much you SUCKED at your job. What a morale boasting store. Also, every single store meeting was how much the cashiers were horrible at bringing in business and how they needed to do their job and rob people of their dignity. I can't remember a single meeting where we were prided on for our accomplishments, just constant misery meetings that were held by the manager who was a general tool.

FEEL FREE TO ADD MORE!

21 months ago

Oh yes, I left in a blaze of glory too. I am more proud of myself today for leaving with a BANG and not feeling bad about being told to quit from such a HORRIBLE, MISERABLE, DISGRACEFUL company!

maclizard in New York

21 months ago

Fruitcakemofo in West Virginia said:

2. If you are an MCA, you are expected to make the store nice and tidy while helping customers and you are EXPECTED to get at least 1 credit app and 3 shop your way rewards members a week. How is this possible when they tell you to stay off the register?

I've been an MCA for over six years and never knew about that until recently. At one point, I ended up doing sales for a department while a commission associate unpacked truck - because her numbers for Shop Your Way and credit were fine and mine needed work. This may not be so bad if, say, I was properly trained how to sell credit (instead of bare minimum computer training) and had more than 14 hours a week (cut a month ago from about 28).

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee

20 months ago

I have no clue which Sears you work for, but I can tell you I have worked for Sears for over a year now and I have not experienced anything ya'll have described here. Our bosses do not ask or demand anything from us they would not do themselves, and we have seen them work their rear ends off. We experience no abuse of any kind. Any retail job when business is slow will cut your hours even if your full time. What I have noticed is the folks that go in and when things are slow find work to do get the hours,those that come in and stand around waiting on their break or time to home go are the ones when hours have to be cut are the first to loose them. I do not understand bashing a Company at all. I also know if you are being abused their is a phone number you can call and report this and trust me they act asap on it. Wish you luck in your future endeavors because truly I don't feel retail is the job for you.

20 months ago

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I have no clue which Sears you work for, but I can tell you I have worked for Sears for over a year now and I have not experienced anything ya'll have described here. Our bosses do not ask or demand anything from us they would not do themselves, and we have seen them work their rear ends off. We experience no abuse of any kind. Any retail job when business is slow will cut your hours even if your full time. What I have noticed is the folks that go in and when things are slow find work to do get the hours,those that come in and stand around waiting on their break or time to home go are the ones when hours have to be cut are the first to loose them. I do not understand bashing a Company at all. I also know if you are being abused their is a phone number you can call and report this and trust me they act asap on it. Wish you luck in your future endeavors because truly I don't feel retail is the job for you.

Nobody can tell who you are responding to. There's a lot of Sears bashing going on here. Very understandable. Lots of it is deserved. As far as making a phone call about abuse, that is a no- no. It ends up with the person calling getting called on the carpet, not the person who is the reason for the phone call. I've seen that happen too many times.

You must work in a "decent" store. Every store is not the same. Every thing I said about my store is true.

Jay79 in Bayonne, New Jersey

20 months ago

When I worked as an MCA in women's shoes (the woman in HR doing my interview just called every dept. until someone picked up and that's where I was assigned), I had the store manager tell me he didn't want to see ANYONE doing inventory in the back, fixing/packing out merchandise or cleaning up. We were only to ask customers if they needed assistance. He even made an offhand remark while walking by a few of us were working (actually working) in the stock room once that "All of this needs to stop". Keep in mind when I spoke to him at my interview he kept pressing the issue that shoes desperately needed a backroom person to keep it clean, which was pointless since half the shelves were empty, then as soon as I start I'm pretty much made a full-time (in job, not hours heh) sales associate.

20 months ago

I am sorry for your experience, but they have always had a number you could call and Sears takes this behavior very seriously I have heard. I can only speak from my experience and mine has been great !!!! Everyone works well together and our bosses are wonderful to boot. I could not imagine having to deal with this type of behavior from anyone in our district. Hope you have found something that is better suited for you.

20 months ago

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I am sorry for your experience, but they have always had a number you could call and Sears takes this behavior very seriously I have heard. I can only speak from my experience and mine has been great !!!! Everyone works well together and our bosses are wonderful to boot. I could not imagine having to deal with this type of behavior from anyone in our district. Hope you have found something that is better suited for you.

"Sears takes this behavior very seriously"? Are you kidding? Not at my former store. They (not WE anymore) have an ASM who has been reported on so many times that headquarters finally sent someone down to investigate. And NOTHING came of it. This woman STILL works there, as an ASM.

Britt093 in Swartz Creek, Michigan

20 months ago

I just recently got fired from sears today over a personal conflict of interest. I can't stand Sears. They fired me over having a so called "conflict" with another coworker, makes no sense at all! Me and the coworker never had a conflict, we just didn't talk. I didn't come to work to make friends, I came to make money!!!!

D. Stokes in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When I was a kid Sears was the go-to place.

Sadly, not only is Sears on its last legs but so are malls in general . Consumers no longer shop like that anymore. In Europe, malls are now being turned into apartments, art galleries or sporting venues.

Interesting post...I say the same because customers shop online now....I work at mpu in my Sears and hated it early on most reviews on here reflect why

Mike in Berea, Ohio

18 months ago

I worked for Sears for a few years and it is the worst company I have worked at. I worked in a different operation than the retail store, some of the things I have seen were unbelievable:

- One of the people that did the hiring openly told me that they were racist and tried to avoid hiring hispanics or blacks.
- I would routinely see someone who worked for the company for a decade or two get let go, often seeing them bring in a new person who did half the work but got double the pay. From my experience the people that were let go were hard workers who were loyal, but for whatever reason management had a bone to pick with these people. There was a very thick layer of favortism and nepotism on a nation wide scale from what I could see.
- My own position was moved to a different state, the pay for the position was almost doubled despite the fact that this position had no new responsbilities, the reason they moved it? They wanted to "centralize" the department, despite the new area not even being centralized still.
- Management and HR were not concerned with issues that were affecting employees, despite having the pretense of doing so. You could have an hour long discussion on something important with a manager and they wouldn't even remember it 15 minutes later, if there were issues between two co-workers, management would refuse to get involved. Worse still, HR would often follow illegal practices, knowingly, such as not hiring people who had previously worked in unions.
- Almost everything we used was outdated, besides using a version of Windows that was over a decade old, our phones looked like they were 30 years old.
- Management would often be the last people to arrive to work, and the first people to leave for the day, many times working only 4 or 5 hours, since they were on salary.
- The environment itself was fairly toxic, people would start fresh, with good attitudes but over time due to drama, lack of praise or raises.

18 months ago

I am sorry your experience with them was that bad. I still work for them and feel very blessed that I nor anyone at our location has ever experienced anything like that. I would have called corporate in a split second if I had experienced any of this behavior you have described. No company is perfect but again I really do enjoy working for them, and can say that I know I could make more money some place else but I actually have fun and that is something a lot of folks can't say about their place of employment. But don't dog out the whole company because you worked for from your description some not nice people.

Mike in Cleveland, Ohio

18 months ago

Tams, without giving too much info, the function I worked with dealt heavily with Human Resources - calling corporate to discuss these issues has many negative reprecussions, the most common one is that they will simply find someone to replace you and make a half decent sounding excuse. In fact, many people in HR are in fear of their jobs and for this reason you have to thread very carefully. I am glad that you work in an area that keeps you happy, and while not all of Sears is negative, there are many parts of it that are the complete opposite from what I have seen, I did work on a nationwide level with this company as well so I have experience with almost all 50 states. Sears as a whole has problems because their bottom line workers are not given raises or any compliments and there's little advancement because they can just hire kids out of highschool to do the jobs (even though this practice leads to workers who do not perform very well, which alienates customers).

The biggest issue in my opinion is that people are afraid to explain the real issues going on to upper management, as they have their own agendas and do not want to be told be "lowly" employees on how to run the company. In the process, they are out of touch and many of their plans and projects do not positively impact what they work on. Rather they just switch the process around and tinker here or there, but no real improvement is being made.

Spanish Johnny in North Hollywood, California

18 months ago

I hated working at Sears just as much as you guys, but there's not a thing anyone of us can do to create a more just and humane work environment at Sears. Don't think of Sears as a "job" or a "career". It's more like welfare or an interim job while you're looking for a real job. Just go in and do a half-assed job and look busy whenever management is around and you'll be fine :D

Texasgirl in Beaumont, Texas

17 months ago

I started working in Sears a few months ago and the only reason that kept me there was because it was the fastest job I got and I was going to be there only for a while before shipping to the Army basic training. I never got a raise, never got a promotion and on top of that my boss seemed to be bothered by employees who had goals other than staying in Sears forever. I was treated like crap when my boss found out I was a college student with plans of joining the Armed Forces. Suddenly she begun making offensive comments every time she got mad at me. She would say things in front of customers like: You are so dumb, how can did you even passed school? How can you even pay attention in class? You are not going to last long in the Army! You are so dumb I feel sorry for your husband!! She would treat a lot of her employees with goals like that every time she came mad to work. A lot of employees AND customers have reported her to the Store Manager and nothing has been done!!!! I finally decided to quit because no one deserves to be treated like that.

Besides that, she would force us to do "stores to home" even tho we had the merchandise in the stockroom!!! If I told the customer: "ok let me go to the back and get it for you" she would just get mad and say: oh my God you are so dumb, thats why you don't get stores to home, just tell them we don't have it!!!

The customer service is just as horrible and employees get chewed out when trying to help customers with merchandise they order and NEVER GOT and never got their money back and then Sears treats them like if they should just suck it up and not claim their money.

Sears is a joke, they show NO care for their customers or employees at all.....they say they do, but their actions show otherwise!!

Samsung176 in Carson, California

17 months ago

I am a former employee of Sears in Carson. I wish things weren't so bad as other people say it is but I can relate to almost all the BS written on here. I was hired and given the cashier position. I was required to ask the customer for their phone number for syw. If they weren't a member I had to sign them up or deal with BS from the managers for not keeping syw at an 85% or higher. I had to ask for military donations, bully the customer into signing up for a 25% interest rate credit card and if they had one, I had to ask if they had both cards. If they had both, I had to make sure they used their sears card on their purchase and if they only had one, I had to sign them up for the one they didn't have. Even if the customer says no to either signing up or using their sears card, we have to keep harassing them til they say yes. All this I was supposed to do in 2 minutes or less. I was also required to change trash bags, carry out the trash if I was closing, count $1K, $2K sometimes up to $5K, put hangers into bags and even answer phone calls from customers outside the store asking questions. Oh and at the end of the transaction, I have to ask the customer to do a survey. All this for the minimum wage. Really Sears????? I'm supposed to count $5K but get paid only $8 an hour???? And take out the trash??? I applied for the cashier position not the janitor position. And answer phone calls from customers outside the store while I'm in the middle of talking to customers right in front of me????? I'm stuck trying to assist both the customer in front of me and the customer on the phone but usually that turns out in having both customers waiting and getting frustrated. Why doesn't sears have a customer service desk? Sears never informed me that the cashier position was actually a CASHIER/CreditBully/Janitor/multitakingCustomerservicePhoneRep. Too much work for too little money. Glad I left.

17 months ago

I am so sorry that your experience was so negative. Honestly all I can say is I feel so blessed to not work were you and the other person had worked. Sears has evolved a lot in the last few years and again I can say I have had a great experience with them. I would be so devastated if I ever had to experience what you described. Our district manager on down the line has always treated us with utmost respect. They may not give raises but you have other means of making more money with them. I accomplish this every month, I set my goals and meet them, because seriously who would want to work for min. wage. Like I stated before anyone feeling they are being abused in any way shape or form should have contacted 88 sears. They would have handled this immediately.

17 months ago

Nope not a troll. Just a cashier and sales associate that works hard and tries to find the positive in things instead of all the negative. You took the job knowing full well what it paid, if you didn't like it so be it. Your gone now good for you. I may not agree with everything that goes on with Sears, but I have never experienced what you have alleged on here. If I had I would have contacted someone trust me and not put up with it for one min. I am not the type to sit back and put up with abuse from anyone. You know full well if it was as bad as you have stated you could and should have contacted 88 Sears and filed a complaint. I would have the first time something like that went on, much less let it continue. At some point we have to take responsibility for how we let people treat us and they can only treat you badly if you allow it, maybe that is the difference between us, I would not allow it.

TrysomeJustice in Sunbury, Ohio

17 months ago

Part 1
Thanks for all the comments on here. I am only sorry that I read them much too late. I've worked at Sears for almost 2 mths now. I've worked many retail jobs in my lifetime, some good-some bad, but I do believe Sears rates with the bad. I would advice anybody thinking about it to really think hard about that decision.

First off- the pay is minimum. That was not unexpected. I guess what shocked me was the fact that there are people that have been there a long time, and they still make min. That is not a very good sign of a company that values their employees. Even my daughter that worked at McD's got a raise every once in a blue moon.

The managers- most of mine are alright. They help when they can. I do have one mgr. that is pretty nasty to some people. She loves to yell. She takes a lot of smoke breaks.

The co-workers- some are very nice and polite, and some are just annoyed with life. It happens everywhere. Sears is no different. The dress code- ours is not very strict. I stick with black on black. Some people wear the light brown slacks with navy shirts. I've seen some girls wear tights and the long sweater dresses. I just try to dress comfortable.

Ad changes SUCK the most. It's the biggest waste of paper. I'm sure Sears spends millions on printing those stupid ad changes. The sad thing is, the price hardly ever changes. If you have to do an ad, it sucks. You can't leave until each dept is done. It would probably help if they trained people on how to actually do the ad changes and print signs. Only a few people in our store know how to print the ads, so it's slow going. UGH

The palm pilots (or Snicks) are the stupidest thing ever. Most of the time, ours don't work. Other workers have ruined ours over the years. Junk.

17 months ago

Part 2
The training is terrible. They throw you on a computer, then throw you on the floor. Don't be surprised if you are out there by yourself. I was on my 3rd day (in mattresses) and I didn't know crap. I was told that if I had a problem, go ask the guy in appliance. Yeah...well, he was a butt about it, and he got annoyed. Do you know why? Because he only gets a commission. Everytime he had to help me- he would basically lose a sale to another person in appliances.

I don't know why everybody complains about too few hours. Geez, I have been getting 40 since I've been there. I work long shifts. Long shifts by myself. AND I also have to do all the freight for my department. Then I have to work on ad (if there is one) or I have to go upstairs and help men's with "ready to wear" b/c they only have one person working up there. Then all the managers wonder why I never get any credit apps. uh, b/c I never get to actually wait on customers.

I am lucky if I wait on 2 or 3 customers a day with all the extra stuff the managers have me doing elsewhere in the store. Clean the pillow room out, clean the sign room out, clean the stock room out, dust the displays, check and make sure everything in this room is located, or locate this whole pallet of "whatever" and try to pile it anywhere you can. oh yeah, go take over for Cindy while she takes a lunch. Our story stays pretty busy, but I swear there are only 3 cashiers in the whole store there.

The credit apps, SYW, and other BS they have you sell is annoying as heck. Some people are aggressive enough to get a lot of them, and some people are not. I haven't got any credit apps since I've been there. Well, I did get one my first day on the floor, but I had to have help.....and the guy that came over from appliances to help used his number to "help" me.

I don't even bother to page anybody anymore. Half the time, you can't hear the page (something must be wrong with ours) and the other half, they just don't even come.

17 months ago

Part 3
For those that don't know about the 5 hr policy- If you work for 5+ hours- you must take a lunch before the 5 hour mark, or you get wrote up.

The computers are pure poo. They are bulky, slow, and hardly work. It's not uncommon for us employees to fix something that is wrong with it....or basically to fix things that are wrong with a bunch of fixtures in the store. Just the other day I had to find a screwdriver to fix a wheel on one of the racks.

I'm not sure about other stores, but I see a lot of senior citizens in our store. I do believe they are the biggest shoppers to Sears. I had a lady that wanted curtains. We don't have curtains in our store. I told her we could order them for her, but sadly...a lot of older people don't want to order stuff online. They want to touch and see a product. Sears does not have a lot of product anymore.

Our Sears hired a few temp workers. They lasted about 5 days. I think one lasted 2 weeks. When Thanksgiving/Black Friday came- we had NO temp workers. We basically worked with a skeleton crew. Most of the doorbusters- we didn't even get in. OMG were people mad. We couldn't even order them b/c our whole computer system went down. Most of us worked doubles.

17 months ago

Part 4
It's my opinion after working for Sears, I really feel like it's a sinking ship. I've noticed that our district mgr has been in several times over the last month. That's been a red flag to me....especially when they decided not to expand store hours this year. Even today....the news came out that Sear's CEO is selling off Land's End and the auto center is soon to follow. That should be a warning sign for anybody working at Sears right now. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but it's going to happen.

Sears has not invested in fixing up any of the stores. They are not updating any equipment. Crap, we can't even get them to get stuff we need to clean stuff. A lot of our long time employees are moving on to other jobs. It's just a strange feeling. Being in the Sears store feels like I've stepped back in time 15 years ago.

17 months ago

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee said: Nope not a troll. Just a cashier and sales associate that works hard and tries to find the positive in things instead of all the negative. You took the job knowing full well what it paid, if you didn't like it so be it. Your gone now good for you. I may not agree with everything that goes on with Sears, but I have never experienced what you have alleged on here. If I had I would have contacted someone trust me and not put up with it for one min. I am not the type to sit back and put up with abuse from anyone. You know full well if it was as bad as you have stated you could and should have contacted 88 Sears and filed a complaint. I would have the first time something like that went on, much less let it continue. At some point we have to take responsibility for how we let people treat us and they can only treat you badly if you allow it, maybe that is the difference between us, I would not allow it.

Tams,
Just because you say you aren't a troll, doesn't mean you aren't one. I wouldn't expect a troll to admit to being one. My opinion about you hasn't changed. Anyone who is enthusiastic about such a disastrously managed dying company (and YES, it IS dying; it's just taking extraordinarily long) is suspect. You either work at Hoffman Estates or you've bought the Sears propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Back in the day when companies cared about their employees (I've been around a lot longer than you), I wouldn't have hesitated to go higher up. But, times have changed drastically and Sears doesn't care about their employees. All they care about is the bottom line, no matter how they get there. I wouldn't trust Sears management about ANYTHING.

17 months ago

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee said: Nope not a troll. Just a cashier and sales associate that works hard and tries to find the positive in things instead of all the negative. You took the job knowing full well what it paid, if you didn't like it so be it. Your gone now good for you. I may not agree with everything that goes on with Sears, but I have never experienced what you have alleged on here. If I had I would have contacted someone trust me and not put up with it for one min. I am not the type to sit back and put up with abuse from anyone. You know full well if it was as bad as you have stated you could and should have contacted 88 Sears and filed a complaint. I would have the first time something like that went on, much less let it continue. At some point we have to take responsibility for how we let people treat us and they can only treat you badly if you allow it, maybe that is the difference between us, I would not allow it.

Tams,
I have never been treated at any other job the way I was treated at Sears. "Alleged" my foot. That's the same way they treated EVERYONE. It just took them longer to get to me. If my husband hadn't been transferred to a backwoods town, I'd still be at the community college working in and out of the classroom with visually impaired students making TONS more money and with the freedom to do things the way I saw fit.

Back in the day when employers treated their employees decently, I would not have hesitated to speak up and contact the higher ups. It's not the same these days. I wouldn't trust ANY Sears manager, no matter what level, including anyone at Hoffman Estates.

17 months ago

Tams,
Yes, I knew what Sears was paying when I took on the job. I assumed, quite naively, that hard work would be rewarded. After my first year of HARD work, I got a RAISE. All of 9 cents an hour. WOW. A whole $187 a year, before taxes. Great reward, great compensation, great incentive to give Sears my all. I did look hard for other jobs. There is NOTHING in our area available.

I hope you are just as enthusiastic when they stab you in the back too.

17 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised if "tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee" is one of those people companies hire to keep track of negative online complains to make them look like its not the company's fault. Everyone (even customers) know Sears doesn't show any care for their employees so do yourself a favor and stop being delusional coming here and trying to CONVINCE people of something we all now is a desperate lie. Sears only shows care for "credits, stores to homes and sales" they get to the point employees feel harassed by their managers forcing them to do something customers simply don't want sometimes!!

17 months ago

Texasgirl in Beaumont, Texas said: I wouldn't be surprised if "tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee" is one of those people companies hire to keep track of negative online complains to make them look like its not the company's fault. Everyone (even customers) know Sears doesn't show any care for their employees so do yourself a favor and stop being delusional coming here and trying to CONVINCE people of something we all now is a desperate lie. Sears only shows care for "credits, stores to homes and sales" they get to the point employees feel harassed by their managers forcing them to do something customers simply don't want sometimes!!

Exactly what I said 6 days ago. Tams is not what she proclaims to be. Notice, she hasn't been back on with any more of her glowing comments about Sears.

17 months ago

Thought I would add some more stuff I thought of.
Pebble- haha. That's the stupidest thing ever. Pebble is like Facebook, except it's for Sears employees. When something goes wrong, our manager wants us to post the "problem" to pebble and wait for a response. As everybody already knows, when there is a problem- YOU NEED the answer right away..who feels like waiting 2 hours for a response? Plus, it's known that Eddie Lampart CEO post negative comments on Pebble all the time. I don't even check my own facebook account, why in the heck would I go to sears and hang out on Pebble?

I showed up for work the other day, and there were exactly 10 people scheduled. LOL. How can you run a store at Christmas with that amount of people? Forget about the people lined up to check out. The mgr. had me moving shelves and other misc. stuff in the store-with only ONE cashier. Customers were so pissed that they were laying down their items and leaving. They later put me in Fine Jewelry. Yeah, well I know nothing about Fine Jewelry. That makes for some happy customers-NOT.

Most of my co-workers have a depressed look about them. I just don't know how to explain how depressing Sears has become. There is nothing to be excited about. I used to dress up, but I can't even do that anymore b/c they have me moving/dusting/cleaning/unloading so much stuff that my clothes are destroyed by the end of my shift. It's not uncommon for me to be unloading freight, then have to wait on a customer....only to realize I have solid black hands from the dirty boxes. My lower back is usually screaming by the end of my shift from all the heavy stuff I've had to lift.

Has anybody went to the Sears facebook page or twitter? It is absolutely shocking! If you have a minute, you should check it out. The amount of complaints is overwhelming. Sears gets so many that they can't even keep up with them. I know every big company gets complaints, but the amount at Sears is unbelievable.

17 months ago

One other thing I've noticed about Sears and the "online" shopping experience....the 3rd party vendors. They are completely ripping off Sears customers. Just check out the prices the vendors are charging customers on the Sears web site. OUTRAGEOUS. This week- I've had 2 separate customers complain that their shipments did not come. I called the vendors for the customers. One vendor said they had a death in the family, and one vendor said that somebody was in a car wreck. Two completely different vendors but both of them with an excuse on why the item wasn't delivered. If you read other people's comments/complaints there is always an excuse similar to what I mentioned. The thing is- the vendors already have the people's money. There are people that have been waiting for months to receive their item or at least a refund. Sears' answer is that they are not responsible for vendors.

I suspect that Sears' did not do any sort of background on any of the their vendors. I'm starting to think that vendor(S) is actually just one vendor pretending to be many different vendors. I've starting advising my customers not to get from vendors.

17 months ago

You know if I was as unhappy as some of ya'll sound, I would find a new job. If you already found a new job then get over the fact that you hated this company and move on with your adult life. Funny how if people don't agree with you, then you call them some sort of spy. I am not going to waste anymore of my time, explaining that I never have experienced this at our store. Believe what you want.

17 months ago

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee said: You know if I was as unhappy as some of ya'll sound, I would find a new job. If you already found a new job then get over the fact that you hated this company and move on with your adult life. Funny how if people don't agree with you, then you call them some sort of spy. I am not going to waste anymore of my time, explaining that I never have experienced this at our store. Believe what you want.

Ah, Tams the troll once again. I know ABSOLUTELY NOBODY who is satisfied with Sears employment. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY who has ONE GOOD thing to say about Sears. Except for YOU. (And Eddie Lampert). And your response is "move on and find another job". (As if jobs were easy to find these days.) You are going to not waste anymore of your time on here? Well, stop then. You won't be missed. Nobody on here believes you anyway.

17 months ago

tams104 in Hixson, Tennessee said: You know if I was as unhappy as some of ya'll sound, I would find a new job. If you already found a new job then get over the fact that you hated this company and move on with your adult life. Funny how if people don't agree with you, then you call them some sort of spy. I am not going to waste anymore of my time, explaining that I never have experienced this at our store. Believe what you want.

Oh I am sorry, did you noticed this is called "I Hate Sears????"....Maybe you are right, you should stop wasting your time here and find something called "I Love Sears" (good luck with that one). Perhaps you are the one who should "move on" and stop harassing people who have complains about this company.

Glad to be working in Kokomo, Indiana

17 months ago

What a bunch of whiners. Before you complain about being called dumb (which should never happen), some of the posters here should get a refresher on English and grammar. There is a difference between passed and past, there and their, etc. some posts are pretty embarrassing and then they wonder why they are getting minimum wage. After being out of work I am happy to take out the trash if that is what it takes. I am not entitled.

17 months ago

Glad to be working in Kokomo, Indiana said: What a bunch of whiners. Before you complain about being called dumb (which should never happen), some of the posters here should get a refresher on English and grammar. There is a difference between passed and past, there and their, etc. some posts are pretty embarrassing and then they wonder why they are getting minimum wage. After being out of work I am happy to take out the trash if that is what it takes. I am not entitled.

According to you, if a person's grammar is not correct, he shouldn't expect to be paid more than minimum wage? At the store where I worked, we had an ASM who regularly said things like "I had went". Sounded like a country hick. So embarrassing. We also had an operations manager who couldn't type with more than her two index fingers. Claimed she'd "never been in THAT line of work". Typing. A basic skill no matter what line of work you are in. She thought it was beneath her. Only for menials. Perhaps neither of them should have been making more than minimum wage.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.