loss prevention associate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

harrietthespy in Wampsville, New York

87 months ago

Does anyone know how much a loss prevention associate at Sears gets paid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (958) / No (138) Reply - Report abuse

Looking For Work in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Right now anything would work. I applied in Houston, TX for the same position. When you find out if so... so shall we all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Irishgreg83 in Calhoun, Georgia

86 months ago

Sears pay for LP is rock bottom. It would be a good resume' builder for a student, but you will never be paid well enough to support youself. I have never heard of them starting anyone off at more than $8 an hour. There are many other companys that pay much better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

I actually started at $10.00 an hour. And now I make enough to pay a mortgage and I have a baby. Some of their rules are a bit much but for the most part they are an alright company to work for. I mean I dont think there is such a place thats completely perfect. But if you are worth the money, they will pay you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mistreated

86 months ago

LP associate in West Chicago, Illinois said: Some of their rules are a bit much but for the most part they are an alright company to work for.

I made that EXACT comment at Sears and it and IT ALONE cost me my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

GlazedOver50 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

I had a interview there last week. I had more experience then the guy doing the interview. I told him what pay I wanted and he sounded all for it saying how he could learn from me. He said he would call me and never did, so I called him and he said they hired someone to work for min. wage. You get what you pay for!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mistreated

86 months ago

GlazedOver50 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: I had a interview there last week. I had more experience then the guy doing the interview. I told him what pay I wanted and he sounded all for it saying how he could learn from me. He said he would call me and never did, so I called him and he said they hired someone to work for min. wage. You get what you pay for!!

They love to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside before they send you the rejection letter in the mail the next week. It's not just them, it's everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sid saenz in Miami, Florida

85 months ago

I just started working Loss prevention for Sears here in Miami and they started off paying me $10.27 hour, of course I worked Sales for the same company before so they offer me my benefit rate pay, also they were exited about my military background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lawrence Decoste in Albany, New York

84 months ago

Is there such thing as a Lead LP Associate??? our store only has a LP Manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michcool125 in Nashville, Tennessee

84 months ago

I don't know about Sears, but Kmart I was hired with no training whatsoever, and I coulden't apprehend anyone unless the LP Manager was there. He wanted to train us but the district LP dident want him to for some reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cody McDonell in Sweetwater, Texas

80 months ago

I currently work for Kmart, and I want to get into LP, any advice????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joce65 in Sudbury, Ontario

76 months ago

LP in my town is ignorant. They have a rough and rude red head employee. He actually left bruises on a ladies arm when grabbing her at a door. It is not worth the little bit they make and to talk to, never a smile or never tries to help, walks and talks like he rules the world. Must think he is number 1 or something, never made a mistake in his life, punk. Poor women was ready to colapse due to mental illness and life's stresses she was going through due to illness and recent death of a loved one. The LP manager was understanding and tried to be nice. Too bad they hire such inappropriate employee's. Then they want to proceed with civil suits and justice for the time spent talking to this woman, even when the police gave the woman a break and were fully understanding as it was a one time thing due to her level of stress. Poor woman will probably now have to pay mega bucks for a bad mistake. Does anyone know how much they make on civil suits that Sears LP files or how much it will cost he woman?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

LP associates must remember they are not the police and by no means should act like it. For their rate of pay their attitude should change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Joce65 in Sudbury, Ontario said: LP in my town is ignorant. They have a rough and rude red head employee. He actually left bruises on a ladies arm when grabbing her at a door. It is not worth the little bit they make and to talk to, never a smile or never tries to help, walks and talks like he rules the world. Must think he is number 1 or something, never made a mistake in his life, punk. Poor women was ready to colapse due to mental illness and life's stresses she was going through due to illness and recent death of a loved one. The LP manager was understanding and tried to be nice. Too bad they hire such inappropriate employee's. Then they want to proceed with civil suits and justice for the time spent talking to this woman, even when the police gave the woman a break and were fully understanding as it was a one time thing due to her level of stress. Poor woman will probably now have to pay mega bucks for a bad mistake. Does anyone know how much they make on civil suits that Sears LP files or how much it will cost he woman?

I worked for Sear's LP for about 6 months, then I got deployed with the Army since I'm a reservist but right before I left there was a problem in wich I was involved but wasnt entirely my fault, there was also a manager involved, they never told me anything about it and after those 6 months passed by and I came back to work they told me that I couldnt because of that incident that happened before I left, I dont know if I was fired or what but I didnt not signed any paperwork or anything and they never explain exactly why I was been discharged from work but I think is beacause I wasnt here to defend myself when things came down, the manager involded still works at sears as manager and nobody else got in trouble but me, the only who wasnt here and was at war defending this country and its freedom, basically is not worth risk our lifes for this company when they dont care about us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

pover-tee in Madison, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Sid, you need to file a discrimination complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor. If you had a job when you left to deploy for war, and you didn't have one when you got back then the company violated your rights and owes you back-pay...

U.S. Department of Labor
ESA Wage & Hour Division
Fort Lauderdale Area Office
Federal Building, Room 408
299 East Broward Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301-1976
Phone: (954) 356-6896
Fax: (954) 356-7920
U.S. Department of Labor
ESA Wage & Hour Division
Jacksonville District Office
3728 Phillips Highway
Suite 219
Jacksonville, FL 32207-6880
Phone: (904) 232-2489
Fax: (904) 232-3114
U.S. Department of Labor
ESA Wage & Hour Division
Miami District Office
Sunset Center
10300 Sunset Drive, Room 255
Miami, FL 33173-3038
Phone: (305) 598-6607
Phone: (305) 596-9874
Fax: (305) 279-8393
U.S. Department of Labor
ESA Wage & Hour Division
Orlando Area Office
Commodore Building
Suite 155
3444 McCrory Place
Orlando, FL 32803-3712
Phone: (407) 648-6471
Fax: (407) 648-6094
U.S. Department of Labor
ESA Wage & Hour Division
Tampa District Office
Austin Laurel Building
4905 W. Laurel Avenue, Suite 300
Tampa, FL 33607-3838
Phone: (813) 288-1242
Fax: (813) 288-1240

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

sid saenz in Miami, Florida said: I worked for Sear's LP for about 6 months, then I got deployed with the Army since I'm a reservist but right before I left there was a problem in wich I was involved but wasnt entirely my fault, there was also a manager involved, they never told me anything about it and after those 6 months passed by and I came back to work they told me that I couldnt because of that incident that happened before I left, I dont know if I was fired or what but I didnt not signed any paperwork or anything and they never explain exactly why I was been discharged from work but I think is beacause I wasnt here to defend myself when things came down, the manager involded still works at sears as manager and nobody else got in trouble but me, the only who wasnt here and was at war defending this country and its freedom, basically is not worth risk our lifes for this company when they dont care about us.

That is terrible. What is wrong with a company like Sears or Sears Canada. They definitely owe you an explanation and I would file a civil suit just like they seem to like to do. Rotten buggers, making millions and ripping off the poor or hard working country reservists like yourself. They should shake your hand and thank you. This is discrimination. Not to mention they are already paying their LP workers to do a job, so how can a trillion dollar company file a civil suit for the time it takes to process and write up papers, it is their job that they are already paid for, keeps them working because if they didn't have to do paperwork they wouldn't have a job. I am boycotting Sears all together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Thanks for the comment and support. Yes I think I got screwed here, is not fair that I volunteered to go to fight the war and my employer told me it was ok, that I was going to have my job back whenever I returned, and now w/o real explanation they tell me I cant go back to work there. What I dont understand and its bugging me is how come I was the only one involved in the incident who got fired or whatever you wanna call it, of course I wasnt here to defend myself, and my boss even though me and her kept in touch thru myspace and wrote to me a couple of times saying hi never told me anything, they waited for me to come back and now I dont have a job, I"m seriously thinking about filing a suit against sears but unfotunetely I have other legal matters I'm working on right now(bankruptcy)due to several deployments and a divorce, but oh well, if I have to get deployed again, I would do it, I still believe in freedom and love this country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LPM in Spring, Texas

75 months ago

Cody McDonell in Sweetwater, Texas said: I currently work for Kmart, and I want to get into LP, any advice????

HEY, CODY I AM A LOSS PREVENTION MGR. AND I CAN GIVE YOU ADVICE THAT CAN BE VERY HELPFUL. FIRST FIND A STORE THAT HAS A SHRINK PROBLEM. SPEAK WITH THE STORE MGR. ON NEW IDEAS THAT CAN BE VERY HELPFUL. WITH THIS, THE MGR. WILL BE HAPPY AND IT WILL OPEN DOORS FOR YOU. SECOND: STAND BEHIND ON WHAT YOU SAY. NEVER SECOND GUESS YOURSELF OR YOU'LL START MAKING BAD CHOICES. THIRD: REMEMBER, YOUR CONCERNS ARE THE STORE'S CONCERN. WHEN POSSIBLE VOICE THESE CONCERNS DURING MEETINGS. FOURTH: IT IS BETTER TO LISTEN THAN IT IS TO SPEAK SOMETIMES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

LPM in Spring, Texas

75 months ago

Lawrence Decoste in Albany, New York said: I work in Sears Loss prevention does anyone know this I was told by the store manager of sears and the LPM that there is a class you must take before you apprehend shoplifters????I worked there a year ago did all my elearnings and was never told of no class.

YES, THERE IS SUCH A CLASS. FIESTA STORES IN HOUSTON HAS CLASSES. BUT BASICALLY, APPREHENDING SHOPLIFTERS OR CONDUCTING EMPLOYEE THEFTS INVESTIGATIONS IS COMMON SENCE. RETAIL STORES HAVE CLASSES FOR NEW RECRUITS FOR THE SAKE OF LAW SUITS. THIS WAY, IF THE LP. MAKES A BAD STOP, THE STORE CAN SAY "HEY, HE TOOK A CLASS WITH THE COMPANY AND HE SHOULD OF KNOWN BETTER"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Kids nowdays have no respect. They think they know it all. The parents are probably having a difficult time with this child. Hopefully, she grows up soon. Boot Camp sounds great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marybeth Miller in Grove City, Ohio

74 months ago

Irishgreg83 in Calhoun, Georgia said: Sears pay for LP is rock bottom. It would be a good resume' builder for a student, but you will never be paid well enough to support youself. I have never heard of them starting anyone off at more than $8 an hour. There are many other companys that pay much better.

TJX Corporation starts their LP employees at $13.00 per hour. Anything less then that is a joke for what you go through.

hway in Virginia

73 months ago

LPM in Spring, Texas said: HEY, CODY I AM A LOSS PREVENTION MGR. AND I CAN GIVE YOU ADVICE THAT CAN BE VERY HELPFUL. FIRST FIND A STORE THAT HAS A SHRINK PROBLEM. SPEAK WITH THE STORE MGR. ON NEW IDEAS THAT CAN BE VERY HELPFUL. WITH THIS, THE MGR. WILL BE HAPPY AND IT WILL OPEN DOORS FOR YOU. SECOND: STAND BEHIND ON WHAT YOU SAY. NEVER SECOND GUESS YOURSELF OR YOU'LL START MAKING BAD CHOICES. THIRD: REMEMBER, YOUR CONCERNS ARE THE STORE'S CONCERN. WHEN POSSIBLE VOICE THESE CONCERNS DURING MEETINGS. FOURTH: IT IS BETTER TO LISTEN THAN IT IS TO SPEAK SOMETIMES.

Yes I have some advice for you...leave Kmart!! I was a LPA and got unjustly fired after one month. This company is such a bad one to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

deven in Schenectady, New York

46 months ago

Ijust had a interview today for part time lp in MA. Turns out the manger of the lp department worked at the same mall I worked security at so we knew the same people and both being in the military helped plus I work for a sheriffs department as a CO which I think helped to plus im a EMT but we swapped stories on nabbbing shoplifters and things like that and then talked to the store manager who said I was a solid player for the team and I got it and she would call me monday or tuesday. The starting pay is 10.50 an hour I think I could have got 11 but I didn't want to put him in a awkward position plus I make enough as a CO im just doing this to pad my resume for the state police but it sounds fun overall he emphasised catching shoplifters that's really all I had to do along with 3 audits a day and clean up hazardous spills ..poo pee ect but he said its rare and I don't mind I deal with it alot and know to protect myself. Overall im pretty excited and happy with the starting pay. Ill let you know how it turns out. But my impression so far of sears is it is a solid company and has good people to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DMartin in Independence, Missouri

36 months ago

sid saenz in Miami, Florida said: I worked for Sear's LP for about 6 months, then I got deployed with the Army since I'm a reservist but right before I left there was a problem in wich I was involved but wasnt entirely my fault, there was also a manager involved, they never told me anything about it and after those 6 months passed by and I came back to work they told me that I couldnt because of that incident that happened before I left, I dont know if I was fired or what but I didnt not signed any paperwork or anything and they never explain exactly why I was been discharged from work but I think is beacause I wasnt here to defend myself when things came down, the manager involded still works at sears as manager and nobody else got in trouble but me, the only who wasnt here and was at war defending this country and its freedom, basically is not worth risk our lifes for this company when they dont care about us.

They can not fire you when you come back from active duty or while you are on active duty. Check out the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act. They have to not only give you your job back, but they have to give you every raise you would have gotten if you had been working. I helped an LP Manager get several thousand bucks in back pay and raises out of Kmart for trying to pull that same kind of crap. Dont ever let those dimestore lawyers dump on a Vet and get away with it...those wankers.

auri in Miami, Florida

34 months ago

I have been sending my resume out to every store in Miami, FL for an LP position and I never hear back from any. Is this because they want experience? or I'm I overqualified? I got recently laid off as a private investigator after 5 years in the field of surveillance work and was looking to get into LP and try that field of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DMartin in Independence, Missouri

28 months ago

Sears / Kmart Loss Prevention is a joke. Sorry, but that operation is ran by a bunch of amateurs. Besides why would anyone want to play store detective for call center pay? No wonder they can't get professional people to stick around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Johnathan Doe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

Do not work for Sears, they will treat you like crap and their policy will get you zero stops. They will not pay overtime nor pay for training. The district manager is a total jagoff and thinks it all high and mighty. I can go on. Quick and short, If they hire you, be prepared to get pushed over with duties that are not yours!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ReelTawk in West Richland, Washington

14 months ago

Sears Loss Prevention, was in my opinion, ridiculous. Sears has so many policies that actually prevent you from being able to stop people who steal. I only worked at Sears LP for about 2 1/2 months and within that time I had seen several people steal, but due to policies had to let them walk out of the store.
--------------------------------------------------------

When I was hired on, the LP manager was telling me that the position was entirely performance based. He claimed that if you were putting up numbers, you were the one who would get hours and you where the one who would end up staying employed. This was an absolute lie. First and foremost, everybody essentially got the same amount of hours regardless of performance. This was typically about 28 hours a week. Secondly, the numbers didn't really seem to matter in the long run. Within a month of being certified, I had gotten two stops, and I was certified 2 weeks early. Another LP agent I worked with had been working at Sears for 5 months and had absolutely no stops.

Eventually, when my probation period was ending, I was called in to the HR Office and told that they decided "Not to continue with my employment" because my manager did not feel that I was the right "Material" for a Loss Prevention position. The person who had 0 stops continues to work as LP.

I'm quiet convinced that the LP manager didn't like me for some reason. Even though I was putting up numbers and other LP employees where telling him I was doing just fine, he decided to let me go. I had formed great relationships with the LP associate's I had worked with and they where telling me I would do just fine and that I was on the right track.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

14 months ago

Managers are very subjective in Sears. I saw a person get fired for a simple dress code violation. (everyone was violating dress code)
That LP manager is probably a Sears lifer. What I mean by that is the only company he's known is sears and probably came from another department like hardware. Another possibility is that he got hired from a company that had a bad repuation or he did something at another company that got him fired.

Just saying that your not the only one who knows you could've apprehended a managers girlfriend or something.

To answer another question someone had about pay in the state of AZ you get paid 8.40 as an LP associate. However, you walk into the best training program if you're interested in LP.

Anyone whose worked at Sears knows that majority of LP doesn't care what you do as an employee as long as you don't cause shrink. Although at times you do get an LP associate whose a complete jerk or whose having a bad day. its quite amazing.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Igfksbso in Souderton, Pennsylvania

4 months ago

Sears LP was a joke for me. The pay was dismally, training was minimal, and I was left in a room with a grumpy retired cop who merely wanted to make everyone else in his presence absolutely miserable. He constantly screamed at me and told me I was too happy of a person to be in that line of work. It's not worth the awful pay for what you put up with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Igfksbso in Souderton, Pennsylvania

4 months ago

Also, I'm going to add that this was easily one of the worst jobs I've ever had. The LP manager at my store made shifts literally unbearable. He would talk down to me so often to the point where it felt abusive. Yet when I trained at other stores, I thrived and had fun. So I guess the moral of the story is that it's all politics. Generally, I'd stay away from Sears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Royal in Castro Valley, California

1 day ago

Sears LP pay less then anyone. More work and little pay. The worst company to work for, plus they might go out of business soon..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.