sears discriminate against its older employees

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Nikki726 in Savannah, Georgia

68 months ago

I am putting a post out to see what information I get back. I am doing this on behalf of my mom. She worked for Sears for 26 years, she is 62 great health, never had a problem at work, never late. The new store manger called her in to her office and told her that she no longer had a Lead job in the store and she was being forced to retire, come to find out that the job is still in fact there and has been filled by someone half her age. They also have post on a few websites that there still hiring for part and full time jobs. I have copied all of the ones I have found and turned them in to the EEOC when my mom went in there. As she was looking over the paperwork that she was given by the store manger and was told she has 45 days to sign it and get it back to the store. She would have no rights if she would have signed the paper work, not even able to go to the EEOC to fill the complaint that she did. I was told to put this out there to make people aware that Sears does age discriminate and if this happen to someone you know or your self and you have not signed your rights away I would like to hear from you and what has happen to you. The EEOC here has told her that there not even going to investigate, that there just going to right after them. Her attorney is going to file when the EEOC has all the paperwork done. You cant let a store manger or a company push you in to giving your rights away. There are so many older people out there that have been pushed in to signing away, like I said I hope this helps someone who is in the same place. You can email if you need to.

You can reach me at Bluefish726@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Generally, when you accept a severance package you must sign a waiver to release the company from further claims (or you give up certain rights), and before doing that, you want to make sure this is the best decision for you, Companies receive legal advice in preparing severance agreements - and it is important for you to do the same, if needed, using the attorney as a behind-the-scenes negotiator or coach who can help make the best decisions.

There is nothing that says you can or can't negotiate a severance package that includes more pay, outplacement services, training, benefits extension or more. Also, this is a shocking blow to many, so take your time and make sure you understand terms before agreeing. Most employers will respect those wishes.

Most companies want the severance package to be a win-win situation and are usually willing to listen to a compelling proposal.

If only one employee is affected by the layoff, there may be more opportunities for negotiation around the amount of severance payment, the length of a health insurance continuation subsidy or a trade-off between cash and benefits.

The employer's willingness to negotiate may depend on the employer's financial situation, the employee's seniority and work record, what the employer has done in other similar situations and the corporate culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

marcia baker in Clinton Township, Michigan

67 months ago

Is there anything u can tell me about the EEOC and can they help me with my situation I have been at sears 14 years and have been reduced to 4 to 5 hours per week when I was orignally getting 25 to 30 hours I just turned 50

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I would make sure that you have everything on wrighting, and always and i do stress always put everything in a notebook, everything from hours to if anything was talked about along with names and dates. I have made a file for my mom for everything from the eeoc to job listings that are at her store that is in fact the same job that they told her in no longer in the system. I would also make sure that if you are forced in to early retirement that you make sure that you see someone who can go over all your paper work befor you sign anything. The EEOC has had a number about of cases of age cases they have also had to lower the age from 50 to now 40. I would just make sure that you have everything and anything that you can think of in a file, even if you may think it has no importance you never know.
It sounds like to me that they are trying to push you out with little hours and hopeing that you will quit, and if that fails they will find something or someway. I know for a fact that the store manger here has made so many mistakes with my mothers case, when unempolyment was in contact with the store she informed them that thay had no work for her, but had job offer's for her job online. I would look online where you live and see if there have any job offers and make sure you print them out, it's just a matter of takeing the time and getting facts in order. I hope this gives you something to help you.
If you need more information I will be happy to help you in any way that I can..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

csbarrow@fuse.net in Cincinnati, Ohio

42 months ago

I have work for Sears almost 20 years. I was force in a way to give up my 40 hours, that took years to get. I held a job that was taken away. I was told that I could go on commision, ( which I did not want to do, already did that for many year.) Or I could go to work in sofeline. But that department could not give me 40 hour a week. The other thing I could do is to leave the company. I could not to that, I mean quit. So I sign away my 40 hours position that took me years to get. Now that I am FTA person I am suppose to get the 30 hours. Sometime I will get 29 hours. I have seen the part time people get more hours them me. Some will get 39 hours a week. I do not understand this at all. If they could not give me 40 hours, how can they give this part time help this extra that they suppose did not have.
I have set things, but the company alway seem to have the answer to the question. Well that is crap. I want to stay with the company, I have many friend over the years. Sears does not care anymore about the people that have given many years of great service and care about want they do. Anyway thank for listen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Buffalo, New York

23 months ago

csbarrow@fuse.net in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I have work for Sears almost 20 years. I was force in a way to give up my 40 hours, that took years to get. I held a job that was taken away. I was told that I could go on commision, ( which I did not want to do, already did that for many year.) Or I could go to work in sofeline. But that department could not give me 40 hour a week. The other thing I could do is to leave the company. I could not to that, I mean quit. So I sign away my 40 hours position that took me years to get. Now that I am FTA person I am suppose to get the 30 hours. Sometime I will get 29 hours. I have seen the part time people get more hours them me. Some will get 39 hours a week. I do not understand this at all. If they could not give me 40 hours, how can they give this part time help this extra that they suppose did not have.
I have set things, but the company alway seem to have the answer to the question. Well that is crap. I want to stay with the company, I have many friend over the years. Sears does not care anymore about the people that have given many years of great service and care about want they do. Anyway thank for listen.

Let's be honest, Sears doesn't sell prefab homes anymore, they don't sell boats, cars and most certaintly do NOT have a catalog that we all can read in front of the old Victrola radio while listening to "Little Orphan Annie". Sears has become a company like every other company in the world. A company that looks at the profit margin and realizes that older employees cannot produce to the benefit of the $. Get with the times people, don't play the age card. I'm sure most of you throw up your hands when the race card is played....... same thing. If you can't come to work and understand how to do a reduction on an iPad, then you have no place working for a company that uses them. Admit you are lost in the 21st century!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

The management at companies is trying to squeeze all the money out of the employees to keep it for themselves at the top. Like kings and queens did to their people and were hated for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.