What's the company culture at Several Sources Shelters, Inc?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Several Sources Shelters, Inc?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Several Sources Shelters, Inc?

Reply - Report abuse

fromme in Ramsey, New Jersey

19 months ago

For the sake of anyone thinking of working as a Housemother or Assistant Housemother at SSS... a few things you should know.

They do good work, but the working conditions are not good.

Style of the business: power in the hands of a few. Lots of red tape, some secrecy and distrust. As of 2012 when I worked there, the management was very poor and staff was frequently yelled at and belittled, nearly every day. There was an average of 3-4 Housemothers at any given time, with an average of 1 leaving or being fired each month. The Housemothers' immediate supervisor is very kind, but the management is very very poor. There is a great deal of chaos and disorder about many aspects of the job.

Dress: Casual and comfortable. Staff get-togethers: usually only for a weekly meeting (when held) which is usually quite stressful.

Stress level is high at this job, unless you are very good at rolling with the punches, or find yourself in good favor with the manager, and I'm very sorry to say, almost no housemother/supervisor is for very long.

Typical day in the life of a Housemother: 7am-10pm. Oftentimes too busy to eat, Housemothers frequently find themselves skipping meals. Life with the mothers and babies at the shelters can be very rewarding or very challenging depending on the different personalities or dramas present for the day.

So, while SSS does some very good works, working as a Housemother or Assistant Housemother there is not for the weak hearted. It was very sad to see Housemothers come in happy, fresh, eager to serve, only to be put off by the working conditions.

I have tried to be very honest. In case someone posts to try and deny these items I have mentioned, at least know that I have tried to give an honest account. Maybe some other current or former Housemothers will post as well, but I encourage them to do so with as much charity and justice as they can.

Hopefully things will get better at some point!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.