Shell Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Shell?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Ramonysabel in Kissimmee, Florida

88 months ago

How is the shell interview for new employee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (131) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

hishwe in London, United Kingdom

82 months ago

none!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dwn in League City, Texas

82 months ago

I actually sent my resume to Shell for an International Revenue Accountant position. One or two hours worth of testing and application proces online...like sending my resume to Mars or something (thinking no one would ever actually SEE it).

Three months later I received a reply that I was going on to the second round of six different testing and interviewing processes. After the fifth one, I got short-listed (I had to look that up to see what it meant).

Anyways, for the final round there were six people chosen throughout the US. I was lucky enough to be one of them. It was a two day ordeal. I was put up at a really, really nice hotel during the final process.

The really hard part was when I had 1 1/2 hours to go through 24 pages of memos to come up with a plan of how to get gasoline to this remote island and stay within a really strict budget. I had to go before a consulting team they hired. The main lady had my chair so low to the ground I found myself continually trying to lift it up while I was answering her questions (which were like a paragraph long....one long run-on sentence). By the time she finished the question, I forgot the first part of it.

I came out of there sweating. The next afternoon I received a "regret" email. This means you are not going to get the job. It was like they dangled a shrimp in front of me and then took it back; so disappointing!

I did get to drive around in a Lincoln Town Car while I was at the hotel. The hotel guy offered to drive me around so I said okay. They probably billed Shell for it and that is why I was regretted!! Hmm...

It was a once in a lifetime experience, however. I have yet to be grooled on an interview the was I was those two days. It really trained me for interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ambitious_grl in Vancouver, British Columbia

78 months ago

So, I got an analyst grad position at Shell for the coming year. They hired nationally and I was the only one hired from Western Canada. I can tell you that the other candidates at SRD probably had gotten mutiple offers and interviews as well. I also had interviews with another top firm. So, the campus interview went something like this....

You'll probably be interviewed by two individuals. They asked me about my learning style and most of the other questions were behaviour based. Without giving away too much, I can tell you that it was a fair interview and no weird questions. Also, if you read their website, you'll learn that Shell is looking for multi-talented individuals who have a broad perspective. That's not far from the truth from what I assessed of the other interviewees.

So, SRD day for me was kinda hectic due to some logistical problems. The day before we had dinner with all the candidates and some Shell Rep at one the most expensive restaurants at Calgary (sweettttt). Next day, consisted of two individual interviews (four intwerviewers in total), an individual case study, and a group case study. Personally, I didn't find any of the above overly challenging, perhaps, that's why I got the job.

So the interviews consisted of behaviour based questions. If you have previously done these types of interviews, you should be fairly comfortable at this. What I emphasized during mine was that I have a techie bent and I ahd worked with engineers before and I was open to new ideas and I did not have "tunnel vision".

The case-study consisted of quite a few problems in a fictitious business setting. I had to analyze and solve them with the perspective of a CEO within two hours. I was given numerous memos and financial statements. At the very beginning I was nervous coz it was a sizable package, however, once I got started and worked through it, it wasn't bad at all.

Finally, the group case. So, you'll be assessed by atleast ten other staff from Shell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

ambitious_grl in Vancouver, British Columbia

78 months ago

Con't...

Make sure you speak during this phase and shell out (no pun intended) some good points. Which I did. Some candidates just exude CEO-ness while others brign the team togather. Your individual approach to team work should come out during this phase.

So that's it in a nut shell (pun intended). If you have any questions....fire away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.