Human Resources Help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Hello, I am soliciting an honest opinion from someone who is hopefully part of this organization. I graduated with an HR degree when the economy tanked. This was December of 2008, and I have not even had an interview for a single HR position as of yet. I can't even get PHR certification to beef up my resume because I don't have the qualifying experience needed to take the exam. I have management experience, and now years of sales experience - which was only supposed to support me until I found an HR job. I hate sales with a passion. I am too honest and empathetic. Therefore, I ask whomever responds not to tell me to continue on in that direction. And I am a single parent, so unfortunately my ability to sign up for evening volunteer work or an unpaid internship is slim. So when are employers going to start hiring willing, enthusiastic, intelligent job seekers that don't have 5 years experience again? Besides mourning the decision of going to college for a degree that has never been given an opportunity, what else do we do? I am in Pittsburgh. Is it like this nationwide? I'm willing to relocate if I have to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

You indicated you have management experience + you have the sales experience (that you don't like, but it is still experience) + HR degree.

So adding all the above together, you should qualify for General Manager positions in small to medium size companies.

I would definitely try this, as many smaller companies can't afford to hire an HR manager/ officer, but with you degree & management experience, you could look after several areas of the business.

Also, some larger companies may need someone with your experience & degree to manage one of their branches or service outlets... etc.

John in New York, New York

14 months ago

This advice is much appreciated. Thank you for your response and I will give this approach a go.

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

My pleasure & all the best.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.